Home Forums Welcome Hello! Making the bed

This topic contains 84 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of bandicoot bandicoot 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Sky

I love the way the Ralph Lauren advertisements make the beds with tons of pillows, throws, shams, etc. but personally, I’m tired of putting it all on my bed every morning and remove it all at night.

I used to pull my bedspread up, fold the top sheet back over it a little and fluff the pillows. It really was easier. I’m thinking about decluttering my bed and getting rid of all the extras.

Anyone else feel this way?

charmed2482

Making the bed

I don’t have all those extras right now, just one sheet, comforter, and one pillow. My ex bf’s mom had all that stuff in the guest room when we stayed there and we could never get it to look as good as it did when we got there.

bandicoot

Making the bed

ugh, i loathe bed clutter!
    it all looks so contrived and fussy to me.
    and what’s up with the time it takes to arrange it all every day? and the drama of laundering it all? and resources wasted to launder it all? and the resources wasted to manufacture it all?
    i say no thanks to all that.
    my bed is pared down to the essentials but i make sure they are the best i can find…we spend a third of our lives there after all.
    basic and essential doesn’t mean cheap mattress or polyester sheets to me.

ditch the excess and spend the extra time sleeping instead!

chacha1

Making the bed

Sheets, a blanket, and a furry throw. Fake fur is great to hide cat fur. I make my bed every morning so I don’t have cat toe-pickins in the sheets at night.

Re: pillows, I don’t get the whole “dressing the bed” thing. I put shams that match our blanket on the full-size pillows, which we don’t use, but the cats do (during the day). We use neck-size pillows, wrapped in standard pillowcases, which hide behind the shams.

Simple and easy to put together and looks neat and clean, even when it isn’t.

bandicoot

Making the bed

ugh, cat fur.
    we’ve got a bunch of short-haired shedders here and one long-haired handsome thing….i swear i could scrape the cat fur off the bed and make a whole new cat out of it. daily.

Zora

Making the bed

Also a minimalist. Sheets, an Indian bedspread, two pillows, two pillowcases.

I recently made two pillowcases from my grandmother’s old linen tablecloth, which I had NEVER used. I figured she would want it used in some way. Trimmed pillowcases with my hand-tatted lace. Love the new cases; linen is so comfortable next to the skin.

My cats shed all over the bedspreads. I pull wads of cat hair out of the dryer filter every time I wash and dry one.

vjb

Making the bed

Count me in the minimalist camp as well: feather doona, bottom sheet and four pillows – two standard ones to sleep on, and two enormous European-size feather ones to sit up in bed with. I don’t have a bedhead and I must say those big pillows have been absolutely terrific. (I don’t wash the pillowcases on them that often, as they don’t come in contact with my skin.)

I have cat fur and dog fur too. Ugh. Those wasteful sticky rollers are the only thing I’ve found that really gets it off the doona cover – washing only removes a percentage. Though I have a rubber brush now that I might try, I think. How does everyone else deal with it?

paperdog

Making the bed

We just replaced a very past-its-prime waterbed with a fantastic new adjustable bed (2 XL twin to make a split king.) I am having a great deal of difficulty locating good quality bedding in XL twin size, which has sparked some pondering of what is truly essential when it comes to bedding. No real insights yet, but decorative and excess pillows are certainly out. Ironically, pillows are the only items that fit on the new bed, but I am done with the fussiness of it all. Some type of easily launder-able top covering is needed for the dog fur issue. Still searching for what works for us.
    BTW, chacha1, I love the phrase “cat toe-pickins!” LOL

pkilmain

Making the bed

No extra pillows here – gist sheets, a thermal blanket, a quilt (handmade on a machine), and two pillows for sleeping. We have 2 cats, one long hair, one short and both prodigious shedders. The longhair gets horrific mats which she hates for me to cut out, but she won’t let me comb/bruh her either. Gotta love them…..

pkilmain

Making the bed

No extra pillows here – just sheets, a thermal blanket, a quilt (handmade on a machine), and two pillows for sleeping. We have 2 cats, one long hair, one short and both prodigious shedders. The longhair gets horrific mats which she hates for me to cut out, but she won’t let me comb/bruh her either. Gotta love them…..

jbeany

Making the bed

Hmmm….guess I have bed clutter. I love the way lots of pillows look. I sleep with 3 feather pillows on my queen – one for my head and one to wrap around depending on which side I’m sleeping on. When I make the bed, I line up the 3 pillows along the headboard. I have two big pillows in shams and two little decorator pillows that sit in front of those. I make the bed every morning and then my cat rearranges the shams and decorator pillows into a kitty fort after I leave. I don’t think it takes that long for me to make it. I have no idea how long it takes the cat to get it to her liking though. :)

Rosa

Making the bed

2 pillows each, but usually he ends up with 3 and I sleep with one or 0.

Sheets, blanket, duvet. Nothing decorative.

We have one duvet with a washable cover, and with the other duvet (which is real feathers, very warm, and not easily washable) I put a thin cotton bedspread over it, so that’s what gets washed.

Making the bed

No decorative pillows here, but I have noticed that friends and family who bought or made fancy pillows soon tire of shuffling them around nightly and they end up piled on the guestroom bed. So, when we stay it is always a minor crisis — where to put them? On the only chair? on the only flat surface where you really would rather put the suitcase? On the floor (where you will inevitably trip on them in the middle of the night . . . ) They look good, but so impractical in real life!

nws2002

Making the bed

Guess I’ll be the odd one out. I have 8 pillows on my bed, 4 of which usually end up on the floor at night, but it makes a very comfy bed for watching tv or reading. They are all regular bed pillows though, nothing really decorative. Also great to give out if I have guests sleeping on the sofabed.

I don’t ever tuck in my top sheet though. I just have the edges matched with the duvet and cover. Each morning I throw all the pillows on the floor, shake the top sheet and duvet out flat and throw the 8 pillows towards the headboard. Takes all of about 45 seconds.

Making the bed

The bedroom is the one room that I’ve got decluttered completely. It started with getting rid of the knick-knacks on the window sill. Then most of the content of the nightstands, later followed by the nightstands themselves.

Current situation is a completely empty room, painted off-white and with nice hardwood flooring, that contains our bed (boxspring without headboard and such) and an alarm clock. And a single small ceiling light.

Making the beds is a ten second job: fluff the pillows, straigten the duvet, done.

Never slept better.

Anonymous

Making the bed

I tried the “lots of pillows” thing once, after being swayed by bedspreads in various home décor stores. It lasted all of one week, I think, before I got sick and tired of it. The extra pillows never seemed to do anything besides get in the way.

Now we have: fitted sheet. Duvet in duvet cover. 2 pillows for sleeping, in pillow covers that vaguely match the sheet. 2 more pillows for sitting up in bed, in shams that match the duvet. Done.

The cat hair doesn’t get too bad, because the cats prefer the black armchairs in the living room, where their mostly white hair will show that much more.

trillie

Making the bed

I was immediately reminded of the movie “Along Came Polly” with Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston, where his character spends like ten minutes every day making/un-making the bed with a LOT of decorative pillows. I don’t remember much else of that movie, but that one scene where he repeatedly walks back and forth between the bed and a bench to put all those pillows there in order to finally go to bed was so ridiculous! If I remember correctly, they have fun later in the movie ripping all the pillows apart or even stabbing them. ;o)

I have two pillows and one large-sized duvet, and a wool blanket over it if I’m cold. I make my bed daily and just throw a pretty white bedspread over everything. I like the look, plus my morning zombie self doesn’t want to do much work that doesn’t result in fresh coffee :o)

Julia

Making the bed

When I finally (FINALLY) bought a new bed, I didn’t know what to do with the 2″ memory foam topper I’d had on the old one. Eventually I rolled it up tightly, placed it against the wall, and covered it with an on-sale tablecloth. Makes a great support for my back when I read in bed, and serves instead of a headboard.

Very easy to make the bed as the pillows just rest on top of the roll while I pull up sheets/comforter. Because it’s heavy, it’s a bit more of a pain to change the sheets, but by “a bit” I mean at most 2 minutes each time.

Works for me.

Sky

Making the bed

trillie….I remember that scene in ‘Along Came Polly’! Ridiculous in real life, isn’t it?

I think since my bedroom closet, drawers and furniture surfaces are completely decluttered, I will take it to the next level and declutter my bed.

Good bye shams and throw pillows!!

xarcady

Making the bed

There are 4 pillows on my bed, all in shams that match the duvet cover. Two I use nightly to sleep on. The other two are for when I have guests–I really don’t have any place to store them in my small apartment. They are also used to prop me up when I read in bed. The shams help keep the cat fur off the pillows that I sleep on–it is a minor hassle to put the shams on and take them off daily, but my allergies appreciate it.

The extra pillows go on a chair that’s right beside the head of the bed–taking them off/putting them on takes about 10-15 seconds.

So there are pretty pillows on my bed, but they all serve a purpose and they don’t take a lot of time out of my day. I look at those beds piled with 8 or 10 pillows and think that they look great, but I’d never be able to keep up with all that.

djk

Making the bed

Our bed is still a bit funny to me, although I have learned to like it. I also have gotten used to it in hotels here too: one twin duvet per person. It was not easy to give up the loveliness that is a king-sized down duvet over a queen bed (I was always a little anal-retentive about perfect drape).

So the way it works is: 4 pillows (big fat feather Euro-squares), 2 coordinating with the fitted sheet and 2 in shams which are a set with the duvet covers. The four pillows get stacked vertically 2 by 2 (i.e. not propped up vertically, but in two big piles of two). That takes up a good chunk of the top of the bed. Then, each twin duvet gets folded in half and put side by side to cover the rest of the bed.

It still looks ugly to me, but for sleeping I have to say I like having my own duvet. It was really hard to learn how to sleep under a twin-size though. I never figured out how to keep myself totally under such a small blanket.

chacha1

Making the bed

vjb – re Cat fur removal – since I am not willing to vacuum every surface every day! – the one re-usable solution I’ve found is a slightly dampened, old linen table napkin. I wipe fabric surfaces down and it collects the shed hair into a little wad I can pick off and throw in the trash. I also wipe the cats themselves down when/if they get noticeably dusty or sparky.

paperdog – :-) And you instantly knew what I meant, right?!

pkilmain

Making the bed

djk – we have two duvets we use in the winter, but one is a double and one a queen! It does solve the “stealing” covers problem. The cats often sleep under them as well (hmmm, do we keep our bedroom too cold?)

emmylemmy

Making the bed

As a sucker for things that match, I’ve always wished I could get on the throw pillow bandwagon, but in reality they are an unclutterer’s worst nightmare! At hotels I always have a pile of throw pillows on the floor and it seems so sloppy but what else is a girl to do? I like to have a plain pillowcase on one of my pillows and a pretty sham on the other, so they’re simultaneously useful and decorative. Solves my matching fix!

irishbell

Making the bed

2 people, king size bed.
    2 king pillows (cases co-ordinating w/ sheets)
    3 standard pillows w/ pillowcases matching sheets.
    Fitted sheet, flat sheet, comforter.
    I keep the door closed so the cat can’t get on the bed (hubby and i are slightly allergic- cat was daughters 13th bday present 14 years ago)
    I do keep a lint roller handy for the comforter and the cat if she sneaks in!
    She loves to be lint rolled!

JayEff

Making the bed

Growing up, my bed had a fitted sheet, top sheet, wool blanket(s), quilt(s), and a pillow. The quilts, in particular, were heavy, unwieldy, and clutter-y. Sometimes a comforter even found its way onto the bed.

Then, one day, somebody invented FLEECE blankets. Thank you to that somebody!

Now, my wife’s and my bed has a fitted sheet, several fleece blankets, and two pillows (one for each of us). We do not use a top sheet.

In the morning, one of us folds the fleece blankets (they are light and easy to fold) and sets them on the foot of the bed or on a chair.

Another benefit of fleece blankets: they are easy to wash and dry.

Jude2004

Making the bed

I never make my bed. I have a mattress pad and a sheet and as many blankets as the season warrants. I need multiple pillows for a medical condition. They each have a pillowcase on them which I change once in awhile.

susique

Making the bed

can’t believe you are not married.

morfydd

Making the bed

Ha djk – I haven’t figured out how to keep all of me under a German twin-size duvet either. Either my toes or my shoulders are uncovered – and I’m not that tall! My solution is two duvets, which mostly works.

My bed has those two duvets in covers, a thin spread that seems to keep the cat hair down to a dull roar, a big German-style square pillow that I hate for sleeping (too squishy) but keep for guests and for sitting against, and throw pillow for actually sleeping with.

Actually making the bed is unsatisfying, as I have to make it around the cats, so it’s not so much “made” as “at least nothing is currently actually on the floor”.

Claycat

Making the bed

In the summer, we just have sheets and three pillows. In the fall, I add a thermal cotton blanket. In the winter, I add a comforter to that.

The comforter is so cozy, but I have to take it to the next town to wash in a commercial machine, and that is just a pain. It won’t fit in our washer.

djk

Making the bed

Morfydd, I know what you mean about making it around the feline family members. The past few mornings the cat has been on one duvet when I am making the bed and so I fold it in half with her in it, rotate it 90 degrees, pull the edges taut (at this point I sometimes hear a muffled grunt if I pull the edges too tightly when she is sandwiched between). The beastly stubborn thing doesn’t even move.

as for chacha1′s delicate description of “toe pickin’s”, ROFL. I know that one too.

irishbell

Making the bed

Just curious – For those couples that have your own twin size comforters -are full/queen sized comforters hard to find where you live, or do you just prefer to have your own covers on the same bed?

pkilmain

Making the bed

I prefer my own covers so I can roll up and not have drafts (we do keep our bedroom quite cool)

bandicoot

Making the bed

we are forever making beds around cats here.
    we have it down to a fine art.
    one scoops up the cat, keeping the cat in it’s original position as much as possible
    the other flicks the bed covers quickly.
    the cat is gently lowered back onto the exact spot it came off, and usually resumes sleeping without so much as a quick paw clean.
    it’s a skill.

Claycat

Making the bed

LOL! Bandicoot, we sleep with cats here, too! There’s always a cat or two on the bed. Sometimes there are three cats when it is really cold! :)

I saw a really cute cartoon once. A husband and wife were in bed. There were cats everywhere in the bedroom including several on the bed. The husband says, “Throw on another cat, dear. I’m cold!” :)

bandicoot

Making the bed

lol @ claycat!
    we can relate, 100%.

pkilmain

Making the bed

We have only 2, but mostly because we initiated a rule early on in our marriage “only as many cats as laps.” :) We’ve had 3 a number of times, but usually they were “long term guests” as there is no cat boarding to be found in our area.

Bandicoot – I like your technique, usually I make the bed around them but often they walk off in a huff.

emmylemmy

Making the bed

I’ve always wondered if the separate covers thing really worked! My boyfriend and I are considering this solution since we have vastly differing temperature preferences.

djk

Making the bed

irishbell, DH is German and had this system in place when I moved in. He prefers it, but I hated it at first, mostly because the bed is not beautiful to me, and it was so disheartening after a big day of language learning and cultural adaptation and not knowing how anything works, then to crawl into ugly at the end of the day. When I sourced out other bedding here I found it so fantastically costly I couldn’t bring myself to spend what I made in a month on a duvet. Of course, there is Ikea as an option. Having had my little I-miss-my-nice-stuff-that-is-gone whine, I can say I think I would keep this system now, as it does mostly avoid the covers-stealing issue. It would also avoid temperature issues, emmylemmy. You can buy different materials/stuffing and put them in matching covers and have an easier time at night that way.

Shoshana

Making the bed

2 people, 3 cats–King Size Bed.

I wish I could simplify our bedding. I don’t have a lot of pillows. Two people and two pillows….my thing is way too many blankets. It gets very cold in here during the winter (sometimes the 40′s inside!)…..I cannot use big fluffy comforters because I have to be able to launder them at home. I have chemical sensitivities and could not use a laundromat (plus would have to drive 30 miles to find one). I can fit a king-size blanket into my washer but not a thick comforter. We have the fitted sheet, flat sheet and 5 blankets. 2 wool and 3 cotton. I think it is a huge pain to have to straighten all those blankets out every morning and make the bed. The next time I buy a washer I am hoping to get one of those front loaders that can handle a king-size comforter.

jbeany

Making the bed

Shoshana, have you tried layering the blankets into a duvet cover? Maybe pin them together in a few a spots? The cover would be thin enough to wash in your machine, but it might keep all the blankets together. If you check out the quilting section at a craft store, they sell “basting guns” that might work, too. The guns push those little plastic pieces that stores use to put tags on clothes, only a shorter version to keep quilt tops and bottoms in place until they are finished. If it worked, all you would have to do to make the bed in the morning is flip the sheet and the duvet/blanket stack up onto the bed.

bandicoot

Making the bed

shoshana…how about buying a couple of down or wool or silk king-sized duvets and a couple of duvet covers.
    SUPER WARM and each week, you simply strip the covers and wash those.
    no need to wash the whole crazy thing.
    a duvet cover is the same amount of cloth as two sheets…..so you won’t need a huge washer either.
    to make the bed, you simply shake the duvet/s out over the bed, fluff up your pillows, and you are done.
    lining up five blankets would make me insane.

irishbell

Making the bed

In all our years of marriage I never thought to use separate blankets or comforters. What a good ides, it would solve the “one of us rolling over and the other freezing their fanny off” problem. Good idea. I’m always learning something around here! Thanks.

Jacquie

Making the bed

Double size bed, king size bottom sheet – DH can untuck and ruck up even a fitted sheet in his sleep unless it’s well tucked under. So the fitted corners go on my side of the matress and that leaves a big flap to tuck under on his side. Goose down duvet. One feather pillow for him, a feather and a down one for me. Flip the duvet down for an hour or so when we get up, to air the bed, and smooth the sheet. Flip it up before I start the day properly. No pretty pretties to take on and off the bed.

And NO animals allowed in our bedroom. That solves the hairs in the bed (and cat/dog odours) problem. I’m amazed that so many of you sleep with your pets. Currently we only have a little dog and she doesn’t even try to go upstairs, but in the past when we had dogs and cats (who aren’t so easy to train) the bedroom door was kept shut in the day time.

Making the bed

I recently decluttered my bed and am glad of it. Five cushion gone to charity and haven’t missed them for one day.

ninakk

Making the bed

We have, per person:
    - One bed (90 cm wide); beds are covered by one bed skirt
    - One top mattresses
    - One protective soft thickish sheet, also from the bed manufacturer
    - Flat sheet to cover top mattress and soft sheet (these are washed once weekly)
    - Two pillows (covers are also washed once weekly)
    - Two duvets (inside a “double sheet” or whatever it’s called, also washed once weekly)

During day time the double bed is covered by one bedspread as well as two pillows, one on each bed for resting on occasionally. The rest of the bed parts are washed unregularly or never.

ninakk

Making the bed

*one top mattress

Jacquie, our kitty sleeps by the feet, but only because we live in a one-room flat :) He’s kind of cuddly too, so…

ninakk

Making the bed

Ugh, I can’t write properly. I meant that only duvet covers, pillow covers and flat sheets are washed frequently.

candy

Making the bed

I sleep alone in a 120 cm bed, with 4 pillows and a duvet, matching duvet cover and pillow cases. Yes, I do use all of the 4 pillows. I’ve just changed into my winter duvet which is (quite obviously) warmer than the summer duvet.

I decided today to get rid of the oldest set of duvet covers/pillow cases which was more or less falling to pieces, so now I’m down to only two sets. One all white (mostly used for guests) and one gray/blue that looks lovely on my bed (I have a dryer so I can wash, dry, and put back everything on the bed the same day). I bought a very nice bedspread a couple of years ago but I think I’ve used it 3-4 times. A clear waste of money, and something that will probably be sent to goodwill some time soon.

lucy1965

Making the bed

shoshana, bandicoot is wise! Down can be washed in a washing machine (I use Ecover Delicate Wash, do an extra rinse and put it outside in the summer: 100F plus 15% humidity gets rid of most of the moisture, and then it needs a little tumbling with some dryer balls), put in a dust mite-proof cover and then you only have the duvet covers to wrestle.

My bed, shared by two people (cats sleep with DS, as DH is allergic): queen-sized, two king-sized pillows (remade from six worn-out feather pillows), flat king-sized bottom sheet, flat queen-sized top sheet; cotton/linen sheets and a thin cotton quilt for summer, cotton flannel sheets and a down duvet in winter.

candy

Making the bed

Ah, I forgot. Of course I have a bottom sheet as well – but you already guessed that, I suppose.

And I can confirm that down duvets and down pillows can indeed be washed in a washing machine.

ninakk

Making the bed

So far I have found two brands that sell down products as well as special schampoo for those and this is in our little country only. I am sure some delicate schampoo would work too. One of the tricks is to make the item completely wet with cold water first or use a pre-wash program without down schampoo, just water, before the main one. Temp needs to be 60 deg Celsius to kill bugs.

lmcinnis

Making the bed

We have two twin duvets, as well. Although it definitely solves the cover-stealing problem, my biggest incentive for switching to two duvets was that I hate-hate-hated wrestling a king-size duvet into its cover! Twin-size duvets are much easier to re-cover, and I can launder the duvets themselves at home. However, I’m now left with the problem of finding duvet covers I like. They just don’t make many adult covers in twin size.

lynsey

Making the bed

I’ve got eight on my bed, but I use them all during the night. My husband and I have sinus issues, so we each sleep with two pillows on a regular basis. When he isn’t home at night (which is 3-4 nights a week, thanks to his work), I pile the ones I’m not using on his side of the bed. I just sleep better when I keep the same parameters as I have when he’s home. So, my pillows are both decorative and useful. :)

marvelez

Making the bed

I love the look of lots of pillows, my husband not so much. I found the trick is to make into a routine. I take them off of the bed and place them on top of a tall wardrobe near the bed, off in the same order, on in the same order.

jlevine

Making the bed

Our bed is simple. We have one pillow (for my SO), each of us has two blankets (a thin one, and a thicker one if it’s cold), we also use a fitted sheet, and a top sheet (which I tend to shun when I’m sleeping). All of that on a queen sized bed. I would happy with just an insulating pad and some blankets, my SO is the one who ‘needs’ the rest of it.
    We don’t make our bed when we get up, we just do a quick straightening of the blankets before laying down.
    Our cat sleeps in the bed with us, he loves to get under my blankets and sleep on my arm.

Pischi

Making the bed

Here is my bed making strategy. I buy sheets in white only, woven patterns are OK. I still have some leftover coloured pieces that I mix in. White is so generic makes clean sheet night a no-brainer. I buy sheets at Marshall’s or TJ Maxx and stick to 360 to 400 count. Anything above that becomes a maintenance issue. If all I can find is a sheet set, I cut the corners out of the flat sheet and make a second fitted sheet. I don’t use a dryer, favoring a clothesline and the ironing board. Sheets are changed weekly.
    1. I use a feather bed on top of the mattress and pull a fitted sheet over that.
    2. Next, a feather comforter covered with a duvet cover.
    3. Two large square European pillows, covered with shams from my grandmothers trousseau. The shams are almost 100 year old linen and wear like iron.
    4. 2 soft pillows, 2 firm pillows, covered with inner liners and white cases or shams, depending what I’ve pulled out.
    Bed making is a snap, after the morning airing out during shower and breakfast, smooth fitted sheet, fluff pillows and arrange flat in a stack, large squares on the bottom, then firm and top with soft. Snap comforter a couple of times and place on the bed, folding the top over. Voila, neat and tidy. No clutter

Mom25dogs

Making the bed

I have 5 little dogs that stay in our master bedroom suite. They are 3 Italian (Miniature) Greyhounds and 2 Miniature Pinschers. They are cold intolerant and love to snuggle so they usually snuggle in the bed. I have dog beds and crates with beds and they use them occasionally for their “alone” time, but usually they like snuggling together on the bed, especially under the covers. It’s warmer that way. So, NO, I don’t make the bed. I have a matching quilt and clean sheets and my 3 sleeping pillows. But as far as putting out all the frilly pillows, NO! Even if I didn’t have dogs I wouldn’t have all those stacks of pillows. You know where they end up when you go to bed? The floor or a chair. It’s a waste of money and just more things to wash and clean and replace. Too much maintenance. Now, if I were “staging” a house for selling then I would probably add a couple of nice pillows so it would look sophisticated and plush but not for everyday, functional living.

Nithy

Making the bed

I sleep in a hammock. Because I’m awesome.

My ‘pillow’ is a rolled up blanket inside a pillow case. I have a lot of blankets that I like, and I like the firmer feel of a rolled blanket, compared to a soft pillow that always seems too flat. Then there’s a blanket to keep me warm on top (during the winter, that’s my king size comforter, which will have a duvet cover once I finish putting it together) and a little heater to keep me warm underneath.

And the stuffed cow I can’t sleep without.

So I don’t make the bed, because there’s no longer any bed to make.

pkilmain

Making the bed

@nithy – sounds great. My DH has a hammock that he sleeps in (outside) in the summer. He loves it.

trillie

Making the bed

@djk and morfydd: A little belated on the twin-size duvets… Do you know there are slightly bigger options out there? I’m pretty tall and with the normal German duvet size, either my neck or my feet are unhappy in the winter. I’ve had a larger one for years now, 155 x 220 cm, and it’s bliss to be able to tuck the feet in AND still be able to pull the duvet up to my nose :o) It’s also wide enough to use it for two people if they like each other ;o) (There is a second duvet for my boyfriend though, too. Sometimes, everyone just needs their own space and climate.)

@lmcinnis: Have you tried Ikea for “adult” duvet covers? They do have very colorful ones, but also some very nice muted colors.

trillie

Making the bed

(Edit: Whoops, douple post. Sorry.)

djk

Making the bed

Trillie! I didn’t know. You are the European Expert to the Expats (you could make good $$$$ from a website like that)

and Nithy, I agree. A hammock is a serious awesome-maker! Love.

bandicoot

Making the bed

i cannot stop thinking about the hammock bed.
    i think i’ll give that a try next year.

lottielot

Making the bed

nithy, you are definitely awesome, what does your hammock attach to? We have a great silk one we use outside in summer, I love it because it rolls up into a really tiny bag when not in use and you can lie there and watch the bats swoop past your nose at dusk. The only problem is that everyone in the family fights over whose turn it is and dh always wins…

trillie

Making the bed

@djk: Let’s make that website! For the fun, not the money! No seriously, aren’t there resources out there with this kind of information and target group? Or at least one website per country that also has articles for expats? Or networks in bigger cities with this kind of collected info? Oh, and you can of course get the bigger duvets at *drumroll* Ikea.

I wonder if a hammock fits my balcony *dreams of summer*

Nithy

Making the bed

I ordered a hammock stand from K-Mart. It’s a metal frame that’s probably meant to go outside. But since it doesn’t anchor to the ground, I have it set up inside. It’s quite large (much longer than a regular bed), but since my apartment flooded I didn’t have much furniture left over, so I started over with the stuff I truly wanted, instead of the things I thought I should have because most normal grown-ups own them.

Next up is a ball pit instead of a sofa.

bandicoot

Making the bed

i like the general idea of a ball pit.
    but i don’t like the idea of cleaning a ball pit.
    i’ll try out the hammock, but in our hot humid climate with insects galore and a herd of cats…..the ball pit and i will have to remain strangers.

trillie

Making the bed

Nithy <3 (Then you probably know this comic too: http://xkcd.com/150/ )

Bandicoot, on insects vs. hammock: a friend has a hammock instead of a tent complete with mosquito net and waterproof roof, kind of like these, and he LOVES it: http://www.junglehammock.com And yes you’re right, I woudln’t want to clean a ball pit either, or try to find something in it. But I wonder if the joy of having one would outweigh the joy of cleaning ;o)

pkilmain

Making the bed

That’s the type of hammock my DH has (well, he has an open one as well). It rains in the night during the summer here, so it’s almost never advisable to sleep outdoors without some sort of “roof.”

Funny, I had googled ball pits last night, and just came up with children’s party stuff, and was thinking I needed to ask about what Nithy meant. But if the cartoon is correct, what I saw is essentially what you all mean…. I’m not sure I’d want one – or to clean it either. :)

It was -6F (-21C) here this morning (so overnight as well). I think it’s time to move from the supplemented summer bedding to the duvets! I like my bed much warmer than DH and this is the only way it’s going to happen.

morfydd

Making the bed

@trillie: I do know that I could get bigger ones. :) I just very unimaginatively bought “twin” duvets when I got here because I had a twin bed, and have somehow accumulated many, and many twin duvet covers. (I keep the extras for guests and otherwise they’re out of the way.) So I just sleep with two duvets. It’s that cold anyway.

I’m too cheap right now to buy bigger duvets and covers, but someday I’ll do the logical thing – after exhausting all other options. :)

lottielot

Making the bed

eww, no, I have unpleasant associations having spent too many hours in ball pits with my kids when they were younger and very dribbly… We have a Fatboy (very large beanbaggy thing) instead of a chair upstairs though, very comfy and you can even lie on it if you’re feeling lazy :)
    I’m looking for new bedlinen as 2 sets have now become ripped beyond repair and I really need a new set. However, this photo struck me as the epitome of cluttered bedding, yuck!

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_46402+SDBV308_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EHome+%26amp%3B+furniture%7EBedding%7EDuvet+covers+%26amp%3B+pillow+cases

pkilmain

Making the bed

Yup, that’s a little over the top for me as well!

bandicoot

Making the bed

lottielot, i am getting clutter hives just looking at that bed!

SunshineR

Making the bed

does that snowy-white, fussy bedroom set come with a housekeeper to wash, iron, and de-dog-hair the linens????

jbeany

Making the bed

9 cream colored linen pillows in a pile – oooh, practical! It does say they are machine washable at least. And I thought I was on overkill with 3 pillows I sleep on, fronted with two in shams and two little decorator pillows. None of those 9 even look like you can sleep on them – so you have to either have more pillows elsewhere or pull the shams off of them every night to go to bed. Plus not have kids, pets, or hair of your own that might shed on the sheets.

Well, I’m all relaxed just thinking about it.

ninakk

Making the bed

That photo HURTS MY EYES!!! My throat clams shut and I need air, desperately. Seriously, I thank you, lottielot, on my bare knees because I realize that I’ve at least mentally come rather far in my process already.

irishbell

Making the bed

Take the decorative pillows off that bed and I’d hop right in! The cream color is very soothing, minus the frilly bits.

Anonymous

Making the bed

Eek, that photo scared me. Are people really willing to put in that much effort to go to sleep?

I like my bed to be instantly accessible whenever I want to lay down. Having a bed that I’d have to work to get into (moving pillows, finding the ones that can be slept on etc) is too counterproductive for words. The maximum amount of effort I am willing to put in is move the cats, lift one corner of the duvet, and cover myself with it once I’m in bed. I’m as active as I can be throughout the day, so I’m confident I don’t need the added exercise of having to turn down the bed at night.

bandicoot

Making the bed

i have just switched my bed over to full summer mode:
    1. 1 fitted sheet
    2. 3 pillows
    3. 1 top sheet
    4. 1 cotton blanket

if it gets much hotter, the cotton blanket will have to go!

i adore crisp white pure cotton bed linens with 1000 TC….and so do our cats with their dear little muddy paws.
    i have learned to make peace with the red-oxide stains in the shape of paw prints here and there….it doesn’t alter how the sheets feel.
    and it never ever ever washes out.

arthelemis

Making the bed

LOL bandicoot. I envy you being in the summer ! My bed is in full winter gear right now :
    -Polar sheets and matching pillowcase (so warm and soft but make static like crazy). They also adhere like velcro to bf shaved head so that make for funny morning with bf literally stuck on the sheets :D. Washed weekly.
    -Flannel flat sheet
    -Wonderful 3-in-1 Ikea synthetic duvet inside Ikea duvet cover (basically 1 thin duvet than you can snap to a thick duvet to make an extra thick duvet). I wash each duvet at the end of the season and the cover as needed. Unused duvet is store in a nylon storage bag (same kind used for sleeping bag)
    -Polar throw at the feet of the bed for the cats. They love to sleep on it and it’s small and easier to clean than the duvet cover.

When bf visit, I throw my old comforter on top because we both roll in our sheets like Egyptians mummies so I always ended up without any sheets left on my side. It’s best if we both have our own duvet/comforter.

Ella

Making the bed

This is the first thread I read when I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago. I hesitated to post then because, well, I have 12 pillows on my bed. But wait, before you recoil in horror…

Last year, because of several reversals of fortune, I was forced to downsize from a 1400 sq-ft flat to a 200 sq-ft studio. I hope this is only temporary, and I’m making the best of a tight situation!

I only have room for a twin bed, which doubles as a sofa during the day. The back and one end are against walls in a corner, and bolstered up with cushions and throw pillows to fill up the depth and make it comfy for sitting. Three different yet complementary Ralph Lauren patterns, but not fussy at all. It looks rather luxe, actually, and that helps to lessen the feeling of a life in narrow straits.

It takes me 10 minutes each morning and night, and a vigorous expenditure of calories, to push and pull the covers and cushions to convert from bed to sofa and then back to bed again. Sometimes on a down day, I just can’t do it, and the unmade bed contributes to my depressed feeling. Or, despite feeling low on other days, I make the bed and it gives my spirits a lift.

candy

Making the bed

@Ella: If it’s useful, it’s not clutter. Your pillows quite obviously serve a purpose. It seems to me that it’s a good solution to the problem of a very small living space.

lottielot

Making the bed

Ella: 12 pillows is perfectly reasonable when they’re also your sofa cushions! Wow, that’s quite a downsize…
    Right now I’m revelling in my electric blanket, nothing more luxurious than getting into a toasty warm bed :)

bandicoot

Making the bed

ella, i have lived in a studio too (not quite as compact as yours, but close)…and when i did so, my bed was the main piece of furniture in there too.
    and yes, i possibly had a few too many pillows on it!
    i think it’s natural to want to have a feature when you live in a small space.

we use daybeds as sofas and they are furnished with regular fitted sheets and regular pillows….and yes, we like a few to fill up the depth and be comfortable lounging upon/around.

i hope things turn around for you soon.
    on the other hand, there is a lot to be said for living in a smaller space. (so much less cleaning and maintenance and stuff).
    my husband and i lived in a 600 sq ft apartment for ten years and the only thing we do differently now is entertain more….which we love.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.