Home Forums Living Spaces Kitchen Leftover overload!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of steavehussey steavehussey 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Lounger

Wondering what possessed a friend of mine to bring a huge bowl of oriental noodles to my place yesterday when she knew I was cooking a roast for five of us, had asked me previously whether I wanted her to bring anything (I’d said no – it was all in hand) and knows I don’t have a freezer!

She wouldn’t take it with her when she left so I graciously accepted. My neighbour was grateful for a chunk of cold roast pork, which would have suited me fine this evening with the few veggies that were left over. He wouldn’t have eaten the spicy noodles. Other neighbours are vegetarian. I’m eating some of the noodles now – delicious but there’s so much left! Normally would love nothing more than inviting a few friends over for an impromptu dinner party but I’m out and about for the next three days.

I could carry the bowl into the office on Wednesday when I’m next there and share with colleagues. I guess I could eat it for breakfast too.

Sorry for the very first-world rant – I really shouldn’t complain about having too much food. I can’t remember the last time I wasted any food but eating heaps of something just for the sake of using it up feels equally ridiculous and wasteful. It’s really delicious though.. maybe I will have seconds.

luxcat

Leftover overload!

My husband stuggles with leftover-angst as well. He feels obligated to eat everything. I often have to throw out week-old leftovers and then say I ate it, otherwise I get an earful about waste.

You.Are.Not.Obligated.To.Eat.Everything.

If you get sick of it, if it’s more than 3 days old, or you just didn’t care for it in the first place, then just bin it. It’s OK!!!

Lounger

Leftover overload!

Thanks Luxcat. I’ll come back and re-read your post in a few days if I’m still angsting about it. Finally getting the hang of not feeling guilty about chucking unwanted non-food gifts and then this happens!

chacha1

Leftover overload!

Or separate it into portions and freeze it. But of all things that are low-cost enough to throw out … yeah, noodles are right up there. :-) It’s not like she gave you a whole smoked salmon or something.

Ella

Leftover overload!

That’s first-world all right.

Leftover overload!

Do you have a freezer at work? You could bag/box the noodles and keep them in the work freezer for lunches. Or find a coworker with ample freezer space to freeze them for you.

In the end though, they’re just noodles :-)

Lounger

Leftover overload!

No freezer at work either. What isn’t eaten by the time it needs to be will go in the compost. :o)

Leftover overload!

Luxcat — oh my, we are married to the same man!

I tell myself it is better to go to WASTE than to WAIST :)

And I suspect that the noodles were dumped on you — the donor didn’t want them and couldn’t fathom eating them all either.

Sky

Leftover overload!

Make that 3 of us married to the same man! I clean out the fridge when he’s working, double bag it and add some paper trash so he won’t know it’s food. Ridiculous!

I hate to waste food too but sometimes it’s okay and like susanintexas said, “better to waste than to waist”.

Leftover overload!

sky — I do the double bag thing too. And, like luxcat, tell him I ate it for lunch. Mr. No-waste sure does get around!

pkilmain

Leftover overload!

LOL – our leftovers usually get eaten within 2-3 days, but unless it’s something like lasagne that improves over time (within reason!), I rarely have more than one leftover meal from a dinner. If there’s more, it goes either to my friend with chickens or the compost. Meat goes in the garbage.

Wish I’d been there to help with the spicy noodles – I love them!

And I know Mr. No-waste as well. But it’s produce he’s usually after….

Jude2004

Leftover overload!

I’m a vegetarian and I have lots of allergies, so I would say “No” right at the beginning. Just say no.

s

Leftover overload!

Funny, about the food. I have to tell my boyfriend that just because it’s been in the fridge more than one day doesn’t mean it’s gone bad!

figlet

Leftover overload!

I am laughing because I also have to throw out food when my husband isn’t looking. In addition to hoarding leftovers, he has a terrible expiration date pathology, and thinks that these dates are mere suggestions.

pkilmain

Leftover overload!

I worked with women who, if they left their yogurt out of the fridge for say 2-3 hours, they’d throw it out. Talk about wasting food.

ninakk

Leftover overload!

This is exactly the type of stuff that should not even cross the threshold. She made it, she eats it. If you have a zillion rational explanations as to why not accept her food, then stick with it. Don’t rant afterwards, but look at why you said yes instead of no. It is not about being out of town nor having no freezer.

Even if you would be at home ten days and nights in a row, with a totally empty freezer, she still crossed a significant line when not listening to you, and you in turn crossed a significant line when accepting.

Leftover overload!

For everyone married to Mr (or Mrs) No Waste, you could try letting him/her get a mild dose of food poisoning by eating the stuff that’s been in the fridge for too long. I expect that would make them reconsider. :-)

I grew up in a house where we had to eat everything on our plate before we could leave the table or have desert. I have to remind myself as an adult that I don’t have to eat it all, particularly if someone else has chosen the portion size.

Leftover overload!

The moment I pack away any leftovers from a meal, I decide if it (or part of it!) is to be kept as a leftover. Can I picture myself eating this tomorrow or day after tomorrow? If I have a plan, I wrap it. I don’t just wrap it and see the next day. So my leftovers are bits of saving time on preparing lunch, basically. Love ‘em.

luxcat

Leftover overload!

we’ve been eating the same damn chicken for four days. freezer is packed with other items, no space for a chicken carcass.

on Monday I roasted a large (too large, now I find) organic chicken and made a large veggie pureed soup.

we are still eating both.

I had dental work done yesterday and now can only eat the soup. and ibuprofen.

will there never be an end to this chicken? I am considering making a soup out of it as DH is out at the pub tonight with a friend and will eat there (I hope)

he probably does not want to come home to this bloody chicken again. I certainly wouldn’t.

tidygirl

Compost: If I can’t freeze it, or if I know absolutely I won’t eat it, then I use it to nourish the ground.

steavehussey

Just through it away if you don’t want to eat it or its not worthy of eating, Nothing is important over your health.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.