Home Forums Challenges January Home Cure

This topic contains 301 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of bandicoot bandicoot 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Ella

I know a lot of you have already joined Apartment Therapy’s January Cure, and I just now signed up too. So I thought it would be nice to have a parallel Chat thread for us here. (I hope this post isn’t redundant, but I couldn’t find an existing thread for January.)

Here’s the link to join:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/join-us-get-organized-in-2013-the-january-cure-181703

Netleigh

January Home Cure

Good idea Ella. I’m not sure how much I’ll do on the cure so soon after doing one before Christmas, but it will be interesting to get the mails from Apartment Therapy and discuss it with friends here.

January Home Cure

Thanks Ella for setting this thread up. I have joined up to the Home Cure too :-)

Mogden

January Home Cure

Signed up here too. I need an almighty kick in the pants and I adore Apartment Therapy.

January Home Cure

Thanks, Ella, for establishing this thread. I’ve joined, too, but I won’t be back in residence until Saturday.

Sky

January Home Cure

I’m waiting for the first email ;)

Meglet

January Home Cure

Thanks for setting the thread up, I’m looking forward to doing the short cure. I’ve been putting the full-length cure off because I’m moving “soon” (aka, whenever the right unit comes up, anytime between last month and March, so it’s hard to plan for.) Can’t wait to get this started and get some extra motivation!

Nina

January Home Cure

I signed up aswell but don’t know how much I’ll do since we are planning to move this year. We are currently looking for an apartment and if we find something it might be pretty short notice to move. So cleaning or organizing a place we might not live in for long seems a bit pointless. But I am hoping there might be some things in it that may help me prepare for an eventual move.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

I signed up for the e-mails because I couldn’t resist. That being said, I don’t think I plan to actually do the cure – I have a lot of projects going on in January already. I’m sort of waiting to see if the daily assignments are simple enough to sneak into my evenings or not.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I signed up, but I suspect I’m going to be like Sleepykitten and not do the entire thing. But I’ll read the e-mails and see how far I get.

jlw

January Home Cure

I signed up and I’ll see how far I get, but I probably won’t be able to stay completely on schedule because my parents will be visiting. I’m still working through the book too, so I’ll see how they overlap.

Ella

January Home Cure

I’m looking forward to the emails and I hope the tasks won’t be too time-consuming. I’ll do as much as I can, but not berate myself if I can’t do more. :)
    So far, I’ve read the first two chapters in the book… took it along on my walk today so I could read without being constantly distracted by my own apartment! I found a quiet garden bench and managed to stay focused. I like the idea in the first chapter of taking a tour through your home and noting down the things you like or dislike. I’m going to go do that right now!

Swede

January Home Cure

I’ve signed up for the emails too! :)

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Anyone received their email yet?

whyawhelk

January Home Cure

Nope. I’m sure it’ll get here eventually.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

I just got my first e-mail! :) “Make a list of projects”

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Got mine too.

I’ve still got a notebook with a previously made long list of ‘undone’ house ‘to-do’s’, shall go through it and see what needs updating/prioritising.

Nora

January Home Cure

Before I went through my apartment, I thought that there isn’t much to do around here. But when I took a closer look I found quite a few projects to work on. Since most of my projects are small, I’ll probably do more than one during January.

Sky

January Home Cure

Went through and made my list. So many little things that DH has to do but some for me too.
    I can knock out lots of them quickly.

Ella

January Home Cure

I got a head start yesterday by touring my apartment and making a list of likes and dislikes. I had to stop when I got overwhelmed by the 4 biggest dislikes, which all require an outlay of funds and a lot of time. I guess those will be my highlighted projects, but I’ll have to budget carefully and break things down into micro steps. I’m glad today’s task says:
    “Stay calm, just observe and make your list. We’ll have plenty of time to focus on the “doing” later and – don’t worry – the intention is not for everything on your list to be completed this month.”

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Made my list and even though it’s pretty short it’s depressing. Here I’ve been decluttering bit by bit, month by month, there are still areas I’ve completely forgotten about — like the study closet. And my dining table is still cluttered no matter how often I clear it off. sigh . . . .

BUT I am going to continue doing a little at a time, and following this project as best I can!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

you know, i imagine other people’s homes to be properly built for the purpose of living in, and therefore pretty much finished in the usual ways.
    so i am sort of happy to hear that your lists aren’t just all: clean the fridge, empty the cat litter, sweep the living room!
    my own home falls far short of this, as we have been painfully slowly turning it from a revolting shed into a dwelling fit for humans.
    my list of things to fix over the years has included massive expensive jobs like:
    make five acres of garden
    build a second room, so we don’t have to live where we sleep
    put in a bathroom and a kitchen
    tile!
    pay thousands for drainage around the place so we don’t flood every time it rains
    get solar panels
    remove weird internal half wall
    make windows into doorways and doorways into windows.
    plaster entire house
    paint entire house
    install wood stove. hook up wetback system.
    and on and on and on.

however, walking around this morning, making my list…..there are still a handful of large expensive jobs (replace rusted guttering out front. line old verandah roof with white board to match the new section. plaster and paint exterior of old house to match new part of house))…but for the most part, things have calmed down and my list is more like this:
    de-cobweb
    dust the rest of the office
    sort linen
    sort out laundry area
    install hooks for umbrellas and bags at kitchen door
    install a few picture hooks
    replace broken hook on french doors
    install a hook in the under-sink cupboard door for dustpan and brush
    finish french doors post-tiling adjustment (they had to be removed, shaved down a few millimetres, then re-hung….now just require weather strips to be screwed back on at the new height)
    paint bay window area
    think about window seat/storage area/day bed in bedroom

i am trying to breathe and stay calm.
    i am going to call my builder and get him out here for a day and that will solve many things.

Mogden

January Home Cure

Lists a plenty here but I’m struggling. I have mess, lots of mess and lots of decorating and jobs to do. I’m trying to get it all down but I’m not gonna sleep if I get it all down on paper tonight!! I’m trying not to be blind to all that needs to be done cos it’s having repercussions elsewhere but it’s so hard.

pkilmain

January Home Cure

LOL, we built our house and thought we knew what we wanted/needed. We have since added on a back deck and a mudroom/entrance 200 sf addition. Two big projects still remain: turn the dedicated laundry room into a half bath (toilet/sink) and a laundry room; and rearrange the bedroom, eliminating the big room width closet (mine!) and turn the alcove (which currently contains the smaller closet (DH’s), the linen closet, and DH’s office) into a walk-in closet. This will allow the room to contain a queen size bed against the wall my closet is on. Currently we have a queen-width bed, but it is only double/full bed length, which is all the width of the room will accomodate. We have a foam mattress which we sliced the end off to fit. This works fine for a couple who are 5’3″ and 5’4″ – but most people, at least in the US, want at minimum a queen-size bed. This project will only occur when we find we want to sell the house, as we’re fine with the arrangement. The downstairs bath I’m pushing for harder. :)

The realistic projects – on top of decluttering – for this year include:

scrape and paint the trim on the house (DH)
    new curtains for several rooms
    repaint the kitchen cabinet doors (we did this ourselves, and didn’t put enough protective finish on – may see about having this done rather than redoing it ourselves)

January Home Cure

Mogden: the list can be pretty intimidating, but don’t let that put you off. I started our list about three years ago and it’s nowhere near done yet. Having the list helps set priorities, though, and you get a GREAT feeling of accomplishment when something is crossed off the list. Hang in there!

January Home Cure

Breathe @bandicoot. I have seen pictures you have posted of your home and it is lovely.

My list will include some deep cleaning, some clearing of spaces that often get filled with clutter – the dining table and desk, some plans to clear and reorganise a couple of shelves and the understairs cupboard, (that will be a big job) as well as smaller things like getting a lampshade.

Ella

January Home Cure

I’m transferring my list of projects to index cards, color-coded by area, with one task per card. I hope that’ll make it less intimidating and easier to shift things around as priorities shift….also I hope less stressful to just pull out one card to focus on, instead of this long list I’ve got now (which is kind of freaking me out despite AT’s calming words.)

bandicoot

January Home Cure

righty-o list freaker-outers…. we need to pull ourselves together!
    i have to remind myself that this place is entirely liveable RIGHT NOW.
    i can sleep, cook, wash, and relax here in safety and comfort and that is a lot more than most of the planet can say.
    perspective!
    these lists are not intended for us to WHIP and BEAT ourselves with them.
    the list is just a tool to help you focus and prioritise and identify trouble spots.
    so, let us hold hands and breathe, because my list is going to give me a panic attack if i let it.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

and secret squirrel, you are a darling to say that, and just let me say that good cropping hides a multitude of problems.

Meglet

January Home Cure

Well, it looks like my list is a little shorter than I expected. This is partly due to the fact that when I made the list, I considered the fact that I hope to move in the next 3 months or so, so I want what I do for the Cure to be able to transfer to the new apartment, not be specific to this one. (So things like “replace closet shelving” just isn’t going to happen.)

So my list includes things like:
    *replacing those stupid bathroom towels that seem awesome but have been covering the room in DARK BROWN LINT for the past 3 years, and I’m sick of it. But I’ve been putting it off because I HATE shopping for towels.
    *sort through the giant shoe tree, stop hanging onto shoes I never wear
    *Clear off the desk (again) and make it stick this time
    *Print up some of my photographs to frame for the living room and bedroom
    *Pick paint colors for the new apartment. :) Which includes deciding between monochrome, and multi-color.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

meglet, allow me to suggest woven linen towels.
    they have changed my life.
    they are absorbent and scratchy…which i love….they dry quickly, they wash like rags, they travel much more compactly than a regular towel. i feel that i am drier much quicker. o and NO LINT.
    i bought four on etsy …i use two at a time, one for hair and one for body.
    they should last for years…they are thick rough lithuanian linen.

January Home Cure

I picked up the book from the local library. The questions on page 48 were very helpful to me, and I’ll share them with others in RL.

I have been living in this apartment for over 5 years–loved it, though I accumulated way too much clutter!–and I will have to move (locally) soon. I don’t handle uprooting/moving well, but however many months of plodding decluttering first will help me face the inevitable. And, much as I dread it, it probably won’t be that bad. Anyway, I’m doing the deep treatment; knowing that I’ll be out of this place before September, though, my priorities may be different.

I made my list. Right now, I’m just glad I’ve been plugging away at some things, and I got the apartment maintenance folks to recaulk the tub, repair the faucet, etc. If I’d started the cure now without the last few weeks of decluttering and 15-minutes efforts and maintenance, I’d feel discouraged and overwhelmed. Now at least it seems doable.

Best wishes to all!

Nina

January Home Cure

With possibly moving in the next few weeks/months I have decided it makes little sense to follow the cure atm. I am instead going to focus on clearing out things that make no sense moving.
    Good luck to everyone else doing the cure!

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

I didn’t have a chance to make a list (I have a feeling I will be dropping out like @Nina), but I do still have my list from when I started the book version of the cure a few months ago – there are still quite a few fix-it items that need to be addressed. Some of these are easy enough for me to do…I just never seem to prioritize them! Oops!

happymonkey

January Home Cure

I’m doing a modified version of the January cure since my schedule this month won’t allow the time to do it fully, so I probably won’t be doing my list until this weekend. Hopefully I’ll be able to fit in today’s and Friday’s tasks on the weekend as well.

Barbs

January Home Cure

My book should arrive any day now. I will probably read the book, print out the calendar from AT, and follow the progress of other people on this thread. I will keep decluttering around the house.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Day 2: Hmmmmm . . . I’ve already got a basket in the corner of the bedroom where I toss things to take to the Salvation Army or Goodwill, and I’ve got the top of a filing cabinet in the study to put books and magazines I plan to sell to a used bookstore or give to the library.

I’ve been good (I think) about putting items where they belong so in order to put stuff in the “outbox” I’d have to go into the closets and drawers and so on, which would take me forever.

So I’m going to call the top of my filing cabinet my “outbox!”

Day 2 mission accomplished!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

outbox, DONE.
    phew, that is day two ticked off and it isn’t even five am yet.
    (i already have an outbox because i am an unclutterer!)

Swede

January Home Cure

Are the emails from a book? I get confused when everyone talks about pages and chapters… :S

Step one is almost done (I’m treating this as a list for the entire year so it’s quite extesive with every little thing I could think of on it). Step two is something I do not need. I make a desicion and it’s OUT. I do have an area in my hallway for donations until the bag is full… so I guess that means step two is done. :)

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Swede,
    It’s probably because the emails are based on some of tasks and ideas laid out in the ’8 step Home Cure’ book regarding cleaning and decluttering so that’s why some posters are referring to pages and chapters.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Day 1 – Written my Project List. Didn’t even have to go round the flat to look to see what needs doing, I just know what (still) needs to be done! Have about 5 cleaning/tidying and sorting/decorating tasks for each room.

Day 2 – Have already got a little out-box in the hall although some of the stuff that gets put in it stays longer than a week like the web-site suggests!

Netleigh

January Home Cure

I think that I’m not going to make a difference with the January Cure as it’s so soon after doing one, but I expect I will do the flowers and read the prompts just in case I get inspired. However flower wise I am ‘planting’ paperwhite narcissi on pebbles in big glass vases at weekly intervals so I should have a supply of ones coming into flower for the next few weeks.

January Home Cure

Sounds lovely @Netleigh. I was planning to buy a flowered houseplant rather than flowers, I prefer them. I have a flowering Christmas Cactus on the windowsill in the kitchen at the moment, it is beautiful.

My outbox is going to be a sturdy-ish cardboard giftbag for the moment.

January Home Cure

I prefer live potted plants to cut flowers, too. I got a bicolor cyclamen for my table, and I need to repot my three remaining houseplants this month.

oh, and I have a shelf for an outbox. Hadn’t designated a spot like that until a couple months ago, and it does help.

Ella

January Home Cure

Day 2: I’ve been using a corner of my landing strip as my “outbox” but it gets so messy that it’s distressing… always the first thing I see when I leave home or come back in, and it really bothers me. In fact, fixing my messy landing strip is one of my projects. So even though AT says the outbox is allowed to be messy, I’m going to try to find a more attractive solution for containing my outs. Think I’ll stop by the Container Store today and look for a nice covered basket/box to hang on the inside of the front door now that the wreath has gone to the compost bin.

Ella

January Home Cure

Oops, double post. Sorry for the clutter!

January Home Cure

@ella, I had a similar problem for store returns, library books, a friend’s dishes, gifts, and other outgoing items with designated recipients (not the undetermined-destination-outbox). I am just using a pretty tote bag hanging on my front door handle for now. I grab what I need when I’m leaving, so stuff doesn’t stagnate in that bag. Not great, but it’s more sightly than the pile I used to have on the floor!

Sky

January Home Cure

I Made my list.

My outbox is in the trunk of my car. Out of sight, out of mind works for me and I loop by Goodwill when I feel the urge. Same with returns, library books, etc. They all stay i my car.

djk

January Home Cure

My list is the same as the last cure, except a bit shorter now:)

And I already have an outbox (small wicker basket on a shelf) for books, DVDs, other small outs, specifically ones to friends. For larger outs I grab a bag and leave it beside the front door. It seldom lasts there more than a day, since I can’t stand to have things lingering around with their dead energy, clogging up space.

djk

January Home Cure

Oops. DP

Meglet

January Home Cure

Day 2 – Outbox “done” (aka, I already have a spot I’ve been using that’s out of the way) and place an item (actually 2) in it.

However, I just found out a 1-bedroom apartment will be available. I won’t be able to view it til Monday, but since it’s in the same building, I’m somewhat familiar with it’s layout, it’s in a good location. .. . Pretty sure I’ll be taking that. So I need to review my goals/task list for the cure to make sure it’s all transferable to the new apartment! Should be, since I’ve been expecting this.

Edit – oh, and @bandicoot, thanks for the towel recommendation. I already have a good set of “hair” towels, I just need to replace my giant fluffy bath sheets. I think I found some today, need to go read some reviews and think about color choices (and if I want to CHANGE those color choices when I move.)

Jennifer

January Home Cure

I haven’t made my list yet, I suspect I will be playing cure ketchup on the weekends, but that’s ok. I already have an Outbox… though I could make it look prettier I think.

BZB

January Home Cure

I already have an outbox as well. It is the area just inside the door of the closet of doom in our guest room/study.
    I haven’t done the day 1 task of making a list yet – that will need to wait until the weekend.

Joless

January Home Cure

I started making a list but since I’m not home yet from NY it’s not comprehensive. I keep a running ‘project’ list anyway so I am just adding to that. I don’t have an Outbox but I know where one can live. At the moment I have a series of boxes and bags around the house and I need to get them Out and just have one place for stuff to go.

whyawhelk

January Home Cure

Made my list only a day late, and I have an outbox already, so I’m back up to speed, yay! Now I’m off to move the contents of the outbox to the back of the car, I can hopefully fit in a quick dropoff this afternoon.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

@Ella – let us know what you come up with for a pretty Outbox – from a previous thread (forget which one), I know that several of us have visible outboxes (no hidden place to stash them).

Sky

January Home Cure

I just realized a pile of plates, containers and mail on my fridge that go to other people. I have a basket that I can put near the back door for this stuff so it’s not piled up in plain view.

Isn’t it funny how we don’t even see the clutter sometimes?

Netleigh

January Home Cure

I will be following this weekend’s suggestions as the house needs me to Hoover round and clean the kitchen floor. My cleaner didn’t come this week as her normal day was New Year’s Day which in my book is not a day when I do cleaning.
    I will also be getting some flowers as the paperwhites are not in bloom yet and I need to retire the Christmas poinsettias which have dropped most of their green leaves now. I don’t have the climatic conditions for them to last more than three weeks in the living room.

January Home Cure

I am out all day Saturday but will do some floor cleaning on Sunday, with the green products we already have. My Christmas cactus I think heard me say I would buy flowers and has popped out even more lovely blooms, so I have not bought any. As per FATAD and ATAD posts, the Home Cure is influencing me, I have bought a new storage thingie for clothes to create more space, started reorganising shelves in two rooms and created an (admittedly small) Outbox.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i have floor cleaning scheduled for later this morning anyway. check!
    green cleaners, check.
    forgot to buy flowers at yesterday’s market, HOWEVER, at tomorrow’s market there is always a guy with the most amazing anthuriums.
    outbox: under control.

pondering a purchase of a large recycled plastic bucket.
    we have a wicker laundry basket outside, beside the washing machine and that has worked just fine for decades.
    but my husband has taken on a job involving a lot of mud, water and cow poo.
    he stands on the back verandah and strips before going in to shower, and he drops his clothes on the (soon to be tiled) floor out there, rather than infect everything in the laundry basket.
    i want that stuff corralled, particularly as he has enough work clothes for six shifts (3 days) and preferably in something scrubbable and waterproof. i like those big flexible buckets with inclusive handles.

ninakk

January Home Cure

lucky bandicoot, stripping husband huh… <3

bandicoot

January Home Cure

lol.
    we are prone to a bit of nudity around here….the climate is conducive and the neighbours cannot see.

djk

January Home Cure

Lol!
    Cleaners are sorted–I make my own, most recently have had success with a homemade citrus enzyme cleaner. It is surprisingly effective and has no nasty smells.

Flowers tomorrow, if I find some I like. If not, I’ll continue to enjoy the greenery still in from Christmas

Floors just done thoroughly a couple of days ago, but will do them again

Ella

January Home Cure

Day 3:
    - I’ll pass on buying flowers for now. A couple weeks ago I bought a sweet little orchid that’s thriving nicely. Every morning I mist it and set it on my breakfast table where it gets good morning light, and I get the pleasure of its pretty company.
    - Green cleaners I’ve got a-plenty.
    - Now to put them to use on these grungy floors.
    - Haven’t gone outbox shopping yet, but I will this afternoon.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I hate and despise mopping floors and always put it off as long as possible. I will get flowers tomorrow, and I already have an assortment of earth-friendly cleaners.

I’ll work on convincing myself to mop and vacuum tomorrow, too. The sooner that’s done the sooner I can forget about it!

Netleigh

January Home Cure

bandicoot, glad to hear you have ‘bears or bares’ in your garden. I had to explain this concept to our neighbours when on a hot summer night I undressed into the washing machine after being at the gym, then found some bits that I wanted to pop on the compost and decided to just nip out in the dark at exactly the time they were shutting a side window curtain. Thankfully they understand just how strange we are and I wouldn’t say they were totally conventional either!

Meglet

January Home Cure

Today was the “fit in some fun and relaxation” portion of this weekend’s tasks – well, after work was, anyway.

Luckily, I just mopped the floors last weekend, so they are done, but I desperately need to vacuum, and clean out the Roomba so I can use it bi-weekly again. Will do both this weekend, along with hopefully some more purging as I do.

I WAS going to buy an Orchid, thinking I had finally found a cat-proof place to put it. Only I came home to find the stuff that sits there now, on the floor instead. Seems the cat decided to go exploring, where he’s never gone before. So no orchid (or other flowers) for me, yet. Maybe I’ll print up one of my favorite flower photos, instead.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Swept and mopped bathroom floor, carried on and scrubbed some tiles and grouting, scrubbed the toilet, wiped down the radiator, washed the skirting boards and cleaned the sink and bath.
    Can you tell that I’m having an exciting week-end!!

Swede

January Home Cure

Earth friendly cleaners – I already use them so no need for anything here. Fresh flowers – Not my thing at all. I will take care of my plants a bit instead. Vacuuming – Done. Mopping – Ugh… Do I have to??

jlw

January Home Cure

Yay, it’s the weekend! I so appreciate that they don’t send anything new over the weekend, I am going to need the whole time to catch up, lol. And that was only a three-day work week too…

Day 1: Project list: I only added things to my list that impact guests, since we have friends coming over for dinner next weekend and then my parents will be visiting in a couple weeks.

Living room:
    - Fix table lamp
    - Replace lampshade
    - Hang more stuff on walls
    - clean blue blanket

Dining room:
    - Tighten table and all chair screws
    - Table centerpiece?

Kitchen:
    - new grill pan
    - glass recycling location

Guest bathroom:
    - something decorative on the counter
    - get vitamins off counter

Study:
    - Fix loveseat pillow stuffing
    - Move stuff on small table
    - Shift bookshelf
    - hang stuff on walls

Day 2: Outbox – done. It’s on the extra desk in my junk room (that I’m trying to empty out, but at least it’s out of sight mostly).

Day 3: Weekend stuff…
    - Flowers no, but maybe I will do fruit again and that can be the centerpiece as well.
    - Vacuum and mop: I always do that on Sundays anyway.
    - Green cleaners: already use and am replacing slowly.
    - Use outbox: Probably going to add the book I just finished, and I think I can add some extra winter items (gloves/scarf) since I have more than needed.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

All right, all right! I mopped the floors and have only two rooms to vacuum (which I detest slightly less than mopping). I got some flowers and I already have the earth-friendly cleansers.

Done!!!

whyawhelk

January Home Cure

I was doing so well, but it’s the weekend. If they’re going to assume I have time to mop the floors at the weekend when there are four other pairs of feet running around the house, they are sadly mistaken. I will probably have to default on getting any part of the weekend tasks done, I’m afraid.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i vacuumed and mopped the whole place yesterday…..it is all so much easier with the new tiles!
    the concrete dust is slowing down so there are less white footprints being tracked around.
    the cats didn’t kill or disembowel one single critter last night AND i closed a couple of doors overnight to limit their entrances and exits overnight and AMAZINGLY i have woken up to a floor almost a clean as i left it.
    no white dust, no red muddy paw prints with teeny gravelly rocks, no rodent guts or smears of blood.
    it is like a habitation fit for humans.

Mogden

January Home Cure

I have bought myself flowers!! And I have a charming little gerba smiling at me from a vase amongst other blooms. I have plenty of green cleaning supplies but I am running a little behind as my best friend came over this evening for a long long long overdue chat after my late work finish. I’m work free Sunday and Monday so she is coming over tomorrow to help me get stuck into things. She is lovely :)

Meglet

January Home Cure

Green cleaning supplies – check. I only ever use Method or Swiffer (ok, I suppose Swiffer isn’t entirely green, but they’re so convenient!)

Floors – mopped a few days ago, so just did a quick sweep and check that off. Moved the big furniture just a few weeks ago, so just did a good vacuum around them and moved the smaller stuff, and PEEP’d in the process.

Flowers – fail. I had a plan, then the cat put a kibosh on that. Still trying to figure out if there’s somewhere I can put an Orchid plant anyway.

Outbox – Oh yeah, major use of the outbox. There is a very large and ugly pile sitting on one side of my spare bedroom. Going to have to clean that up and load it into the car later this week.

Cleaned Roomba – check. Brushes and bin have all been cleared out so it’s ready to run on Monday.

Nora

January Home Cure

After making my list I realized that it would make most sense to me to work in zones, rather than follow the home cure directly. But I will make sure to have all the missions from the cure done by the end of January.
    For this week: I made a list and I installed an outbox (which is actually an ikea bag). I did not buy flowers because I had run all errands on Friday when the mail finally came in and I didn’t want to go downtown just for some flowers, will do that next week. Does anyone else find that the emails come pretty late during the day?
    This weekend I worked on the entryway. My jackets and coats are decluttered, my shoes are clean and I cleaned the entryway from top to bottom (including mopping). I still need to find a solution for my shoes as they are just sitting in a messy pile on the floor. And I really want to hang a picture up there that greets me when I come home.
    Otherwise I filled my outbox with various things and went through my cookbooks to declutter some.
    Almost forgot the earth friendly cleaners: I started to switch some time ago. I use up what I still have and then restock with earth friendly ones, so I consider that task done.

djk

January Home Cure

Earth-friendly cleaners: I make my own
    flowers: didn’t because there still is so much clutter around as I have been regorganising a few areas and pulling stuff out to rehome. We have greenery in a vase on a high shelf and it looks great. I like flowers on the table but only will buy them when I’ve reclaimed the table.
    floor: had a big mop a few days ago, have vacuumed and swept since, so will do a short sweep and spot mop with the swiffer.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Nora,
    Yes, I get my email about 4.30pm in Britain.

Jennifer

January Home Cure

I bought some pretty red and yellow tulips to replace my finished carnations. I vacuumed, but likely won’t get mopped today. Slowly replacing with earth friendly cleaners, though I’m afraid I still use bleach in my world. Outbox officially in the closet now.

jlw

January Home Cure

In place of flowers I have a giant bowl of clementines and limes on the table now. That takes care of the centerpiece issue too, at least for this week!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i ended up with an edible display as well.
    piles of lemons and eggplants from the garden.
    it is time to make ratatouille.

pkilmain

January Home Cure

I’m still nursing my poinsettia along. It still looks pretty good, so I put off flowers for another week. :) DH is in charge of mopping, and did the whole house about a week ago when I was gone for a day.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Not strictly part of the Home Cure but tried to boost the cleaning process by doing 15 mins tidying in each room, even the front entrance. Really wanting to get this place straight after the holiday period!

As to the fresh flowers, thought I might dig out the hyacinth bulbs from the cupboard and try growing those instead of buying a bunch of flowers. Thought it would be nice to watch them as they grow.

Will have to mop kitchen and do the thorough hoovering tomorrow.

BZB

January Home Cure

for flowers, I brought in paperwhites I had started last month, cleaned up the pots and put spanish moss on the dirt to make them look prettier. They are starting to bloom now.

green cleaners: I make my own all-purpose spray and have plenty of green cleaners for other purposes. I do want to try a shower soap scum remover recipe I saw somewhere on this forum.

Have not finished making my checklist, but here’s what I have so far:
    Upstairs bathroom:
    rearrange pictures on wall (one got broken)
    wash mini blind
    clean smudges off walls and door
    run kid bathtoys through dishwasher to de-soapscum

Living Room:
    find a little basket for phone earpiece, I’m sure I have one
    reduce toy encroachment
    reduce stuff stored in foyer table

Kitchen/Dining area
    wash kitchen mini blind
    reduce stuff stored on front of frisge, top of fridge, and top of cabinets
    reduce plastic containers in cabinet to more manageable number
    get rid of chipped plates

oh, and I will save mopping the floors for later in the week when I will normally do it anyway.

January Home Cure

Cleaned all floors + bathroom and bedroom quite well before my Twelfth Night party. Will do the swiffer in the front entry and kitchen again tomorrow now that guests have left. The kitchen and living room looked fine (though I knew I’d shoved 1 box and some large unwashed pots out of sight at the last moment!). Big improvements in clutter control since October, but I did have to cover over a few areas, so now I know more clearly what to work on and tweaked my list of two days ago.

observation: All was quite well decorated–tea lights, candles, and greenery with white Christmas lights. Nice for 5-6 people to mingle and chat. At one point in my open house this evening, I had 8-9, which made the room feel cramped–I had shoved the sofa back against the desks to have a bigger conversation area, but it ended up like the bowling alley syndrome in the apt therapy book. Won’t make big changes now, but keep in mind for next place.

Today was a cleaning/uncluttering goal and milestone, and I passed the test. Now I’ll be differently committed for the rest of the home cure: I can engage more deeply now–for myself first rather than for how it appears to guests.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

prof clutter, your party sounds lovely.

bzb, i am envious of your paperwhites….and i have heard others mentioning them here too.
    they simply don’t happen this close to the equator.
    i am consoling myself with frangipani, which are just beginning to blossom now.

Netleigh

January Home Cure

Prof Clutter, I like the idea of a 12th night party, after the rush before Christmas it could be nice to mark the end of the 12 days.
    Managed to clean floors downstairs and steam mop the kitchen floor yesterday in addition to completing my mending tasks. I’ll whisk round the upstairs floors tonight. I bought a bunch of flowers, bunged the whole bunch unceremoniously into a jug of water and tonight I will distribute them into smaller groups to spread around the house since the decorations came down on saturday night and I still have to dust around.

Jealous..frangipani!

Barbs

January Home Cure

@BZB – Here you go:

In a 24 oz bottle combine:

1/2 C Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/2 C Isopropyl Alcohol
    6 drops liquid dish detergent
    2 T dishwasher rinse aid (I use wavejet it is organic coconut oil mostly)
    fill with water add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance if desired.
    shake and mist shower/tub area after every use.

It works great and it is cheap and easy to make.

BZB

January Home Cure

thanks for the recipe, Barbs! that’s the one I was thinking of!

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Sat for 10 mins in dh’s hobby chair in the Living Room.
    What a mess, that’s all I can say. Made a list of quick changes that could be done to improve the surroundings.

djk

January Home Cure

I’m having a hard time with the sitting somewhere bit. Maybe I will do it tomorrow.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I’m having a hard time with this one, too. I live in a tiny house and I’ve already looked everywhere from every angle — one mess after another.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i am going to sit in my office, but not at the desk.
    it isn’t a large room. it has a LOT of doorway and window in it.
    and yet it contains the office, the clothes, the linen, a substantial filing cabinet, a bar fridge, a stack of framed art (some of those are going), the remaining cds and dvds, seven years of paperwork as requured by the tax office, my work library.

i am going to do something RIGHT NOW.
    the work library can now live with the other books….there is room!
    that frees up three shelves that i will need for my new business-related printing.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

done.
    a twenty five minute job that i have been meaning to do for months.
    bonus: a bit more concrete dust has gone for ever.

Sky

January Home Cure

DH and I share an office so I sat in his chair for a different perspective. My side looks good compared to his.

My items I have on ebay, which have no bids, are going to Goodwill if they don’t sell. That will get a set of china and 2 pairs of shoes out of there. We need to paint and get the work-out thing out of there. Also, organize the card tangle.

BZB

January Home Cure

I will do a different version of the 10 min sitting in a room that needs change. I will take a photo from different angles and hopefully can get a more objective idea of what I should change. Otherwise I get too overwhelmed in that room (guest room/study)

January Home Cure

Thanks, bandicoot and Netleigh. It has been a nice tradition as everyone gets back to town for winter quarter: one last hurrah for holiday decor and clothes and music and foods.

As for sitting somewhere new for 10 mins:
    I, too, have lived in a pretty small 1-bedroom apt for 5.5 years, so I’ve sat just about everywhere except in the cupboards. My sister and I now share a bed like this (which came up on a Google image search) http://tinyurl.com/trundledesk, so I have a trundle bed and there’s a built in desk. (The drawers are hers.) We also both have desks in the other room, though, so this had a pile of junk on it until recently. Now, just several current books, clothes iron, sewing machine.

I decided to sit at that desk for 10 mins. Realized 1) must replace two casters on the bed, so it’s easier to push all the way in. 2) need a lamp or other lighting to make that desk more usable. For overhead and for natural light, that is pretty much the darkest part of the apartment. Not bad for sleeping, but not good for reading. I have two ideas for the lighting: either buy a basic lamp or try something wackier using what we already have. We’ll see if the latter works tomorrow, and I’ll let you know. :)
    This will not be my research-and-writing space, but it might be nice to have a different space for reading, devotionals, and personal correspondence–as well as ironing and mending. But I hereby resolve to keep it free of paper clutter.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

ok, i did the sit-and-look in the office, as planned.
    it spurred me to action, just as the thought of the impending three day MIL visit spurred me to action.
    i made vast strides in there today and now i reckon i can finish the rest off tomorrow morning.
    a veritable frenzy of laundering and wiping and dusting.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

first of two BEFORE; my living room coffee table and one of the bird cage stands; side view

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

second of two BEFORE; my living room coffee table and one of the bird cage stands; front view

what a mess . . . . sigh . . . .

January Home Cure

My projects aren’t as big or as deep as they’d be if I didn’t have to move in the next year. The “bones” are ok for now. I’ve been here for over 5 years; I installed new vinyl flooring tiles (kitchen) three years ago, and I’ve recently had apartment maintenance take care of 1) the caulk around the tub, 2) kitchen faucet & leak under sink, 3) oven pilot light. They never did repair the crack on the patio concrete that’s been there for years, so I might ask again–but I could live with that, no problem. The only other irritating thing about this place is a really scratched and discolored stovetop, but I’ve tried everything I can there.

I had the great pleasure to cross off five smaller things from my new list already. The biggest project I’ll choose now is to go through absolutely everything in the kitchen, discard or donate what I ought, wipe everything down, and get some breathing space in there by consuming the pantry stuff. (Apparently, in times of stress, I stock up on canned tomatoes and boxes baking soda. Both eminently useful products in their divergent ways, surely, but how many did I think I needed?!? Is baking soda my security blanket? weird.)

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

First of two AFTER of the coffee table and cage stand; I do a lot of work and watch TV and play with the birds at this table, so it’s a continuing effort to keep things clear. Not much to be done with the cage stand; birdie supplies are all arranged for my convenience — but at least I got a lot of feathers and dust vacuumed up.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Second of two AFTER of the coffee table and cage stand; I do a lot of work and watch TV and play with the birds at this table, so it’s a continuing effort to keep things clear. Not much to be done with the cage stand; birdie supplies are all arranged for my convenience — but at least I got a lot of feathers and dust vacuumed up.

My project for the day is DONE! Yea!

liag

January Home Cure

Bravo, mdfloyd!

January Home Cure

congratulations, mdfloyd!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

mdfloyd, that is terrific!

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Thank you, thank you! (bowing deeply)

Now I’ll let my green parrot out to destroy her toys and make a mess!!!

Ella

January Home Cure

Good job, mdfloyd!

Has anyone done Day 5′s (today’s) cure assignment yet… that is, have you chosen your project for the month and taken before photos? My January project will be my hallway, which continues to be a huge problem of clutter and clogged-up flow no matter how many times I’ve tried to fix it. It will take all month, I’m sure, to overhaul the landing strip, overhaul the coat rack, buy and situate a useful outbox, cover up the hideous flooring with nice runners, tone down the glaring ceiling lights, and a myriad of other little things that irritate me endlessly.

I’ve been using the hallway as a catch-all space for parking stuff out of the way from the main room, but it frequently verges on impassable. I’m not sure if this comes from bad habit, bad organizing, or bad housekeeping. Some of each, I suspect. Now I’ll go take my before photos and hope for some insights.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Um, I just did today’s Cure, complete with pictures — a project that didn’t take a few hours but did make a noticeable difference.

Ella

January Home Cure

I guess I misunderstood the assignment for today? I thought we were supposed to select a big project to work on in bits over the course of the month? Well, in any case, that’s what I’ll do with my hallway. Congratz again on your good work, mdfloyd!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i am going to pass on day five.
    the biggest things to do around here require a builder and a tiler and they are both booked, but flexi-timing me….ie out of my control.
    nothing here needs bit by bit fixing over the course of a month….it is all pretty much either already wrestled into shape OR is waiting on tradesmen.

the absolute worst area right now is the laundry, which is outside.
    it will take less than an hour to completely clean, tidy and organise it, and it isn’t worth photographing.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

My months project might be a mix of 3 areas for a bit of quick impact;

Living Room-
    When I sat in dh’s chair for 10 mins yesterday, it looked a right tip in that corner so I made a list of small tasks that I could do to improve the area such as clearing surfaces etc.

DS’s Room-
    Put up new curtains that I’ve bought.
    Could really do with painting again but that’ll be for another time I think.

Bathroom-
    Glue that dratted wallpaper in the corner AGAIN for the umpteenth time. Dh had threatened to tile that piece of wall but I don’t think that is going to happen any time soon.
    Buy some Anti-Damp paint and re-paint the ceiling AGAIN for the umpteenth time.
    Bit of a pattern (deja vu) happening here.

Anyway, these should help to make a bit of a more pleasant environment this month.

Ella

January Home Cure

I made some good progress on the hallway project today:
    - Took the before photos
    - Washed and folded and put away laundry, thus reducing the piles by half so far
    - Finally got an outbox! A basket to conceal my ugly outs and tote them away. I found exactly the multi-tasker I wanted at L’Occitane: a roomy French market basket. Also got a big faux chrome Command hook to hang it on the inside of the front door. That solves another hallway problem: the basket covers up the peephole which, at night, lets in a laser-sharp beam of light from the outer hall and pierces me right in the eye whenever I get up in the dark. Not any more!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

that basket has already paid for itself!

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Excellent work and solutions, Ella!

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Ha! I’ve got two pictures that need to be hung, so that’s easily taken care of!

jlw

January Home Cure

I have not done the sitting yet, but does anyone else think that it might have been good to have that step before the projects list step?

The project I chose is my living room stuff, collectively since they’re all quite small.

Artwork… it just occurred to me that I do have something that needs framing and definitely lots of things to be hung! Will have to look into that when I get home tonight.

January Home Cure

congratulations, Ella–looks nice.

Today’s home cure assignment is my excuse for asking for help and advice. I love finding a photo or print of a painting and framing and hanging it. In fact, such was my gift to three different family members at Christmas. But last month it finally dawned on me that my walls and surfaces were cluttered with frames (mostly 5×7 inches or smaller). I donated 5 frames outright. I kept 6 little frames of family group / baby pics on my desk or shelves. I put out of sight (to decide later) 1 large frame with many family photos + 10 smaller frames (art/photo/quote) + 8 miniature frames of my favorite authors (used to be on my bookshelves). I am going to purge my display of (received) greeting cards. Then, I’m sure I’ll rehang my tapestry map of Middle Earth that I took down recently.

Now, besides shelves and lighting, my walls contain:
    2 small religious pictures & crucifix
    a mounted ironing board
    a hook thing for holding all my scarves
    a ribbon with 1-inch mini clothespins holding favorite greeting cards from years past
    a small mirror near my front door (to check my face and hair on my way out)
    3 pegs at front door, now uncluttered and available for guests’ coats/sweaters
    key rack thing with room for visitor parking passes and laundry cards and so on
    a foil/plastic wrap/paper towel holder thing with a small shelf on top
    a nice teapot clock with a teacup regulator (pendulum)
    a … thing … a metal sculpturish whaddyacallit thing with leaves (over a doorway)
    7 diplomas/certificates (above my bookshelves and partially obscured by the top shelf of books)
    a vinyl lettering quote
    an embroidered piece above my desk, with two coordinating little frames for quotes
    a metal scroll thing that holds cards
    a reprint of a 17th-C historical map of England (nice color and detail–and anachronism!)
    a tapestry of the Madonna, currently decorated with garland and white lights since Christmas.

1) From the description above, what else would you suggest I reconsider/take down?
    2) How long should I keep the others out of sight to decide?
    3) What criteria do I use to determine whether to donate or where to rehang them?

Keep in mind that the bedroom has a big,heavy bunkbed/trundle/desk piece and the living room has 6 bookshelves about 6 feet tall and two desks, so there wasn’t a whole lot of wall space anyway.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Prof: I assume all these are not on one wall, right?

If they were my objects I’d get rid of a bunch, but they’re not my objects.

I’d make a list of the ones, in order, that you really look at whenever you’re in that room. Get rid of the ones that are so old (to you) that you don’t really see them anymore. For example, do you still pause a millisecond and read the quotes? Do the quotes still give you the inspiration you need, or are they old hat now?

Are the diplomas in your office/study? If not, I’d either put them in your office or study, or file them.

What does the map mean to you? What about that thingie over the door?

If they do NOT serve your higher best self, you don’t need ‘em anymore.

I’d also take pictures of your old greeting cards and toss them.

But that’s just me.

For myself, my hallway has a bunch of photographs and occasionally I’ll stop at study them to be sure they still “speak” to me. I think there’s at least one, maybe two or three, I’ve internalized and no longer need to keep.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

Wow, @Prof. Clutter – it is hard to say! Because it really depends on which items are most meaningful/useful to you. I would look at each item and say, “would I purchase that today and hang it on my wall today if I were to redecorate my home?” In fact, ideally, you would remove EVERYTHING and then start from scratch deciding what to hang and where to hang it (except that removing everything might involve too much hassle/drilling/etc. to be feasible – hard to say).

If you are asking about specific items, I would definitely keep the front door pegs to hang coats and sweaters – those are almost always useful. I think I might also keep the Madonna tapestry, simply because based on your description it sounds like it is a statement piece that you have incorporated into your life (you decorated it for Christmas, etc.). Sounds like the metal scroll that holds cards and the ribbon that holds cards serve more-or-less the same purpose? So maybe those can be combined somehow. Good luck!

Meglet

January Home Cure

@Prof – lately I’ve been a big fan of the “nuclear” option – take them ALL down, put your very favorites back up in the best places, then see what remains and what of those fits in the remaining spaces. But then, I’ve been on a pretty serious purging kick, so that may be more work than you want to do.

Running a little behind here.

Day 4 – I sat at my little dining table, which I rarely use, for 10 minutes for breakfast the other day. From that view, I realized I’m really happy with the current living room layout, I just need to do a little more curating on some shelves. Also realized I’m not very happy with the dining table, it’s an awkward height. But it was a housewarming gift, one of the few things that has “keeper guilt” attached to it.

Day 5 – Select a project. I looked at my list, and most of them are better to wait til after I move (hopefully to the apartment I’m viewing today. . . ) so I decided the jewelry cabinet was a good idea. Currently my jewelry is stuffed in boxes in the closet, under the sink, in the medicine cabinet. . . . and it’s a mix of keepsakes I’d never wear, costume stuff I’d never wear, and things I’d wear if I remembered I had them. Since my apartment has built-in medicine cabinets that I barely use, I’ve decided that with some magnetic hooks added one of them would make a very nice jewelry cabinet. So over the next month, I need to sort through my jewelry, store what’s truly worth keeping for “keepsakes” (mostly from my Grandma,) donate what I don’t like, and organize what’s left. The visual impact will be in either me wearing jewelry again, or realizing I don’t wear jewelry and getting rid of most of it. Either way, I won’t have that particular elephant in the closet anymore.

Day 6 – I inadvertently started this last night, actually. I’ve been playing with a few of my favorite photos for printing, last night I sent one off to the Costco photo lab to do a 20×30 posterboard print of it. It should be ready for pick-up tomorrow, and if I picked the right option it should be ready to hang.

January Home Cure

oh, yes, that was not all one wall. It’s a one-bedroom apartment. The living room is a study/home office more especially now that I don’t have a campus office for the next six months. And my roommate (sister) is an undergrad student; she has her personal stuff and her desk and one bookshelf and closet, but the apartment decor and most of the stuff here is mine.

For starters, then, I got rid of the ribbon & cards getup that I’ve had over my closet door. I guess that was pretty obvious clutter: I’d had that up since I was 13, moving it to three different locations, but never completely clearing it. I threw away one pile; there are still some cards in the scrollwork thing hanging near my desk, but I’ve gone through them all. And I did take down that supposedly useful mirror at the front door; the pegs around corner also had a mirror in the top, so it was redundant.

I’ll do more later, but I have to get back to my “real work” now.

Thank you, though. And some of you are unclutterer Eagle Scouts, so to speak, but I just started, so I’m slow and have some trepidation. I don’t know why it makes me anxious: I am only donating a book or discarding a note–I’m not sending its author to the guillotine!

Swede

January Home Cure

Day 4 – Sit in a new place: I live in a studio apt. There is nowhere “new” to sit. :)

Day 5 – Select a project: I will be ambitious and aim for all of them! They are all smallish to medium/small projects and since I am unemployed (prob haven’t mentioned that my job moved to Cardiff without me last month) I do have time to tackle … well, everything. I’m pretty sure I won’t get all of them done but aiming for all means I do a few every day and I’m not gonna beat myself up if I don’t actually do *all* of them.

Day 6 – All my artwork is framed already! I have ordered a new print from one of my fav artists (Audrey Kawasaki) that was shipped from the US today so I will make sure to get a nice frame for it once it arrives. :)

bandicoot

January Home Cure

prof clutter…i’d only keep the hooks. but i do like lots of clear space :)
    when it comes to wall art, my policy is go big or go home.
    i like a single statement piece OR a bunch of small pieces arranged coherently together. i have never done the latter myself, but i think it looks fabulous.
    as others have suggested, perhaps it is time to remove everything, clean the pieces, clean the walls if needed, then think about what really delights you, and yes, put the favourites back in the premium spots.
    or perhaps see if a bunch of things can be arranged to make a large feature?

during the cleaning of concrete dust last week, i came across a veritable stack of framed art.
    some needs a new home and. will have to smuggle it out past my husband.
    but there is one adorable large old sepia print of “cupid asleep” in a divine old diamond-shaped wooden frame.
    i cleaned and polished the frame, but cupid has mould beneath the glass (not on the picture, thank goodness) and is suffering from an old homemade mat made of timber.
    i will drop the whole thing off to the framer today, and i have a spot to hang it…overlooking the bathtub in the bedroom.

Meglet

January Home Cure

Doh! I just accepted the apartment I viewed today, and I don’t think it had the same cabinet I planned to use. So I guess I’ll be updating my goal – either do something else with the jewelry, or pick a different project. “Move” would probably be an acceptable project. :D

January Home Cure

Prof. Clutter: I have a lot of framed stuff on my walls and, if DH had his way, there would be even more. I think the key (as Bandicoot suggested) is to have it coordinated — ie, framed in a similar way. I just counted the stuff in our hallway, which is 17 feet long x 3 1/2 feet wide. There are 17 framed prints, two crosses (gifts) a plaster decorative thing over one door, a little ceramic plaque over my office door giving the address a 221b, a wall sconce and the doorbell box. It sounds like too much, but I think it looks great. These are vintage etchings I have collected over the years of places I have lived and visited — they are all framed in brown wood, matted in off white, and are all together in once place. We added the chair rail and painted the lower part Khaki about 12 years ago — I think this also helps tie it together and makes things look less “floaty.” Here’s a photo:

As to your situation, a couple of suggestions:
    (1) When you have a permanent office, hanging diplomas is probably a sensible idea. Unless you get some joy from looking at them, I wouldn’t bother hanging them in the apartment. You know you have the degrees.
    (2) Would it work for you to rotate your favorite authors? Maybe if you made a ritual of swapping out the picture on the first of every month you would appreciate each one more.
    (3) I’m personally not a fan of photo montages — I find them too chaotic. Would it make sense to disassemble the montage and put the photos in an album? Or scan them and make them into a screen saver?

bandicoot

January Home Cure

susan, where is the like button for your hallway?
    LIKE LIKE LIKE!!

Barbs

January Home Cure

yes Sherlock I like it too!

Ella

January Home Cure

LIKE!! Beautiful hallway Susan, everything about it! I love the colors, the wainscoting, the warm tile floor, the carpet runner, and all bathed in soft lovely light.

I’ll have to pass on framing some artwork for Day 6. I’ve got scads of framed pieces in storage, and a sufficient number already hanging on my limited wall space. Among my stored pieces are several framed awards from my book designing career. I think I’d like to ditch the frames and put the awards into an album, another project to add to my list.

For today, though, I’ll work on my hallway some more, accompanied by pangs of envy over Susan’s.

Ella

January Home Cure

Meglet: I’d say “Move” definitely trumps all other Home Cure projects. Congratulations!

happymonkey

January Home Cure

I’ve seen Susan’s hallway and it is even lovelier in person!

Prof. Clutter, I’ve been in your situation and I had to take everything off the walls in order to get some perspective. It really does make you re-think things when you’re looking at the bare walls and imagining how you want them to look.

Meglet, glad you got the apartment! I think packing just moved up to #1 on your list!

Nora

January Home Cure

Today I painted a shelf in the kitchen white to match the rest, and got myself a nice lamp for the kitchen (there wasn’t one before, I had just the ceiling light from my studio apartment and that isn’t very bright). Just those two things alone make a tremendous difference in how my kitchen looks. I then started to declutter, rearrange and deep clean the kitchen. Still quite some work ahead, but I got started and I’m sure I will be able to finish it this week.
    For today’s project: I got myself a frame (since I was at ikea anyways) and I want to get some nice gift wrap that I want to put in there, since I need to brighten up my entryway (looks so sad). Maybe I’ll cut the letters for “home” out of some scrapbooking paper and put them on the gift paper – depends on what I find.

@Meglet: “move” is an awesome project!
    @Susan: I really like your entryway. You had lots of good ideas for it.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Susan — great hall!

Meglet — congratulations on the apartment!!!

Meglet

January Home Cure

@Susan, that is a beautiful hallway! I love the way you’ve spaced and hung the items, that’s always the hardest part for me.

Thanks all for the encouragement! I’m still waffling between “YAY!” and “OMG WHAT AM I THINKING???”

Checked with the office, there should be a metal cabinet in the bathroom I just wasn’t paying attention.

However, based on the date they want me to move (transferring apartments within the same building) “move” is definitely now my new project – officially termed “Pack and Purge.” They want me to move in 4 weeks, and the bedroom & closet of the new apartment is a LOT smaller than I was hoping, which means less storage space than I was hoping for.

After starting my moving calendar this afternoon, working backwards from the move date, I decided to save myself some stress and booked my favorite movers for the morning of the Saturday the apartment people suggested. Feels kind of silly, as I’m just going one flight down and 4 doors over, but I cant’ exactly move a fridge by myself. :)

Ella

January Home Cure

Meglet: Don’t forget to book yourself a massage that Saturday after the move is done. You’ll need it!

The fates are conspiring against me and the hallway runner/rug idea. Twice now I’ve found runners I love for a great price, then gone back to purchase but everything was already sold out. Happened again today at Crate&Barrel, drat! So I must face the inevitable: clean up the hallway *before* bringing in any new stuff to decorate it.

January Home Cure

Meglet: this is exciting! You are taking a very organized approach to this and it will pay off.
    Thanks for the hallway compliments :)

Although I’m not really participating in the January home cure I am getting good ideas from it — I have a print I need to have framed and I’ve added to my project list to paint the doors to the master bedroom, hall bath and foyer closet. They are builder grade” luaun hollow core doors and would look better painted.

Sky

January Home Cure

Susan, very nice!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

clearly i am responding well to some gentle direction.
    i did what i was told today.
    i took my photograph and frame over to the next town, conferred with the framer and left it all with him.
    when i collect it, i plan to drop off another four for a frame update and that will be all the art taken care of.
    it feels ridiculously good to have crossed such a simple thing off the list. and it was’t an expensive fix….i only needed the mat.

Ella

January Home Cure

For Day 7′s assignment I’ll plan a little tea-for-two party. Can’t fit more than one guest into this tiny space. But I’m not going to spend my time fooling around with designing an e-invitation, I think a handwritten note is nicer anyway.

Instead I’ll spend that time today working on the hallway project, by clearing out more laundry. Whenever the Cure has an assignment that doesn’t fit my situation, I’ll just keep chipping away at the hallway. Yesterday instead framing artwork, I took a big heavy bag of 17 books and audiobooks back to the library, thus clearing out that space by the door.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

day seven: plan a get-together in early february and send out invitations.

i see a mid-week morning tea coming up…provided the tilers haven’t returned.
    i have a wonderful scone recipe and a lot of very fresh walnuts….karithopita!

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I forgot to hang up my pictures yesterday and I probably won’t invite folks over — some of the folks I would invite over know about the January Cure and may or may not be trying it out themselves (we haven’t checked in yet).

BUT I’ve spent several hours sorting and organizing my beads and tools — I’m still not finished but I’ve gotten so much done I go right to whatever color, style, and design I want without searching and sorting and wading through big bags and little bags and strings of beads and tiny individual beads and half of a clasp and so on. I just happened to stumble across the CraftMates lock-tite organizers, which are turning out to be the answer to every beader’s prayer (no, I don’t work for ‘em).

I also threw out a bunch of broken pieces and kinked wire and so forth, so I’m in great shape beading-wise.

Back to the Cure tomorrow!!!

jlw

January Home Cure

Well, I have friends coming over on Saturday and my parents staying for several days in 2 weeks, so they will be my guests. Not quite what they were aiming for but oh well!

I do have to do a couple things to make it presentable by Sat. night, so I’d better get on that. Fortunately I’ve been keeping up with everything pretty well lately so it’s not a huge task.

January Home Cure

I have written to invite a friend for tea on the 2nd. We’d be visiting and catching up on her recent work and our shared research interests; the newly-cured home (gee, sounds like a ham!) is meant to be a setting for our conversation, not focus or an end in itself. :)

Since I don’t want to plan a party or invitations (just did that for the 12th Night of Christmas), I spent time today on my other home project: the kitchen. Finished all kitchen cupboards and am now tuckered out. Probably ought to do the fridge and freezer again now, but I don’t feel like it.

Sky

January Home Cure

The weekends chores are heavy duty. I just did my fridge and cabinets but need to clean out the toaster and clean the oven. The one job I dread the most. It is self cleaning but the fumes and heat scare me so I think I will scrub it myself.

Any tips on cleaning an electric oven?

pkilmain

January Home Cure

Ah, DH just cleaned our oven before Christmas. But my toaster is need of a good cleaning as well.

Sky – our oven is self-cleaning as well, and when I do use that feature (which works best if you use it more often so the oven isn’t too dirty) I always stay nearby to be sure nothing dangerous is happening. Of course, since ours is gas, I would have to run outside and turn off the gas…. Fortunately most of what I bake doesn’t spill over.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I’ve been rethinking the invitation thing.

Today I cleaned out all the kitchen drawers; not that many, but still . . . .

It’s amazing — I had no idea I had 14 cookie cutters or three packs of ancient fancy paper napkins or a half-filled box of birthday candles most of which were broken, or . . . .

bandicoot

January Home Cure

our kitchen is the most-used room, and it is in good shape already….particularly after the post-tiling clean up.
    the fridge is already stacked full of freshly made food, so i won’t be cooking anything new this weekend…we have ratatouille, grilled peppers, soup, mayonnaise, roasted stonefruits, vegetable juice galore.

however, the entire place needs to be vacuumed and mopped again.

January Home Cure

I had borrowed a handheld steam cleaner from a friend, so I deep cleaned the oven exterior and all corners of the bathroom and all windowsills. oh, I dreaded cleaning out that black mold on windowframes and panes, but it’s done now. There’s nothing more I can do structurally to avoid the mold, as I’m only renting a bit longer. (For the same reason, I just decided it’s not worth cleaning the oven one more time–and I hate that job, anyway.)

Just to finish off the bathroom, I emptied and tidied up that one cupboard. The medicine cabinet was done last month; over the past couple of weeks, I’ve streamlined my cosmetics & cleaning supplies further. My bathroom doesn’t get any cleaner than this–it’s positively glowing. It will be very nice to have a hot bath (Epsom salts and bergamot oil and a good book) as soon as I finish here.

other than that, I did a bumper crop of laundry, thorough kitchen cleaning, and all the floors again.

Tomorrow I have 9-5 commitments, then will overhaul the fridge and freezer + repair my bed. I just went back over some lists and notes I’d written a mere three weeks ago. It’s simply wonderful how newly “doable” this deep cleaning is. The accountability here and the 30-day challenge provided enough structure and motivation, and I’ve been blessed to have enough energy for the whole day. My list at the beginning of the month had 52 items and I’ve now done 30! Along the way, I have been able to get rid of more than I thought I could at first. Very encouraging all round.

Oh, and my potted cyclamen are still providing the fresh flower feel in the living room. I rarely eat out, so preparing a meal from scratch here is no big deal. Though it is more pleasant in a deeply cleaned kitchen, of course.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

reading everybody’s accounts and writing up my own seems to be very helpful.
    admittedly, i had already done a lot of unscheduled deep-cleaning in late december, but there are still Pockets of Insanity.
    between peter walsh and the home cure, i feel confident that all will be sorted by the end of january without much pushing from me….so i have let a lot of pressure and stress go.

Meglet

January Home Cure

@Ella, yes I’ll definitely be booking a massage – actually for the day after the movers. My movers are SO AWESOME that I expect they’ll be done by noon or 1pm, giving me the rest of the day to beat the new place into shape a little bit so it’s peaceful enough to come home from a massage and be relaxing. I hope.

Kitchen chores, let’s see – fridge is cleaned out, counters got an unexpected deep scrubbing last weekend (good enough to last til the move, anyway) and I’m not going to re-line these shelves since I’ll be moving in 4 weeks! I’ll do some sorting as I cook and pack the next few days, too.

As for the cooking – I’m still debating between trying a new parmesan chicken recipe I found, or making the beef stroganoff I’ve been meaning to make for 2 weeks now – need to do that before the sour cream expires!

Looks like I’m close enough to be comfortable calling this weekends task taken care of, which is good since I’ll be out of town most of the weekend anyway.

BZB

January Home Cure

ooof! The weekend kitchen cleaning project is too much for me – I’ll see what I can get done. We are in the midst of potty training the kiddo this weekend so most of my attention will be on that project instead….

jlw

January Home Cure

I will be cleaning my kitchen a little more in preparation for cooking and guests tonight, but other than that I’m in good shape. I made a place for glass recycling under the sink, which was one of my projects. I need to organize the pantry but I’m really not ready to buy anything for that, so I’ll probably put it off for a while. It’s not in a terrible state anyway.

Sky

January Home Cure

I broke down and turned on the self cleaning oven cycle. Boy, it stinks but I know it will be super clean. The rest of my kitchen is clean and the pantry was just done so I think I’m good to go on this one.

Nora

January Home Cure

Argh, I decided to pull the bookshelf which is my pantry off the wall in order to see if there is any dust behind it just to discover that I apparently have a mold problem.
    So, I’ll put off cleaning the pantry since the backside of it is completely moldy and I guess there is no other solution than getting rid of it and buying a new one (and treating the wall behind it). I didn’t budget and plan for that one. But I’m glad I discovered it now when I can do something about it rather than in a year when it would’ve been REALLY bad (and maybe even affected my health).
    My big project for January therefore changed to “treat moldy wall and find a replacement for pantry”. In the meanwhile I will use up as much food as possible from my pantry, so that I might get a smaller bookshelf.
    I will finish cleaning what I can in the kitchen. My fridge and freezer will have to wait until later in the month when both are emptier. So basically all that is left is my tiny counter and the cupboard under the sink.
    The improvements I had done earlier this week in the kitchen are really paying off. Just two little things (painting a shelf white and adding a light) did so much for my tiny kitchen, I can’t believe i haven’t done that earlier.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

Sounds like a good plan, Nora. I too am seeing great payoffs with what little I’ve done so far. It’s such a nice feeling to sit on my couch and see my coffee table clear (mostly) and to open my kitchen drawers and see them clean and organized, with no errant bits of dust or crumbs or clutter.

djk

January Home Cure

catching up on the cure!

day 6 is artwork–don’t have any to put up, and have so little wall space I don’t want any more than what we’ve got.

day 7 is the invitation. I don’t plan to do this.

day 8: kitchen: cleaned the counters, table, and backsplash. Gave the butcherblock counter and wooden table a rub with spoon butter. I make my own enzyme cleaner so I washed the floor and wiped surfaces with that. Small appliances got a wipe-down. The oven is clean, so I don’t need to do that.

The fridge does need a thorough clean inside but I need hours to defrost the freezer. I give it regular quick wipes so it’s not terrible.

we already have fresh flowers so I didn’t buy more

we cook at home most evenings so I ignore that too.

an FYI–
    a couple of months ago I scrubbed off the sticky yellow grime from underneath the cupboard above the hotplate. Since there is no exhaust fans here simply wiping with a cleaner doesn’t work at all. Scrubby sponges don’t even begin to take it off. It was a big job. Then, I had the inspiration to wipe the underside with a slick of mineral oil. I have to say, it is genius. Everything just wipes right off and the grime can’t stick. Now I wipe it with a clean dishcloth, buff it dry, and today again I gave it another light coating of mineral oil. It works beautifully.

January Home Cure

Have been following along on this thread on my phone while travelling about for work. I like getting the Cure emails and think it is making a big difference. Because of needing to concentrate on cleaning off mildew from walls/furniture and airing fabrics/duvets etc (have a leaking roof that will be fixed next month), I have not done any deep cleaning at the weekends. However, I have finished the goal project today (research a lightshade for a tricky ceiling light – with a ceiling rose above it and involve DH in decision). We bought and fitted a mini chandelier, not what I’d planned at all, but suggested by DH and in our minimalisty front room, it looks lovely. He pooh-poohed one of my early choices as ‘looking like a nest!’.

Have also been getting going on the frame, cleared some small tasks (got 4 paper lightshades to cover bare bulbs) and cleared some stuff from the kitchen cupboards earlier. I will do the deep cleaning in February while the roof is being fixed.

January Home Cure

Fought off a migraine yesterday and today, so didn’t get much cleaning and organizing done. I did have 9-5 commitments at work, then finalized travel plans for a spring conference. (I dislike the process of ordering airline tickets, even when I don’t have a headache.)

I had a colleague over for London broil with scalloped potatoes and mixed greens and so on. Very tasty, and I have a few meals’ worth of leftovers for the workweek. The place was clean before she arrived, and she helped out with the food prep and the dishes afterward–for which I was most grateful, since by then my head was ready to explode. Anyway, I often cook at home, but I’ll have this meal count for the home cure assignment.

I’m doing my weekly review and spending quality time with my planner and lists for the coming week. At mid-month, I’ve PEEPed everything brought home from my former offices, I’ve uncluttered and deep-cleaned my kitchen, bathroom, and (my side of) the bedroom. The rest of the month is focused on the paper boxes and cable monster and digital clutter at my (now *seemingly* tidy) desk. And also uncluttering the patio and flowerbeds, as time allows.

[My sister is absolutely not on board with uncluttering; I can't blame her--the time just isn't right for her, and that motivation needs to come from within. For now, I just don't need to look at her corner desk and her closet and clutter corner of the bedroom is pretty much hidden by a big piece of furniture.]

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

One of my small projects was cleaning out the wall rack beside my washer and dryer. Why, oh why was I keeping empty boses? Did I think the laundry fairy was going to come along and restock everything?

At any rate, that’s done. I also hung up a wind chime that’s been in a basket for over a year.

Now I’m going to reward myself and make some earrings and maybe eat some ice cream and, as always, play with my parrots!

Swede

January Home Cure

Day 7 – Invitation. Will not be doing this. Had a friend over today though, so I can pretend that was it. ;)

Day 8 – Kitchen. Will have to do the rest tomorrow. Only vacuum + mop the floor and clean the stove top left though. :)

January Home Cure

@Swede, I am the same, I had a very dear friend stay over this week who is shortly to go back overseas for work. She noticed all the new things and the improvements and generally made me feel good, so that will count!

After posting earlier that I haven’t cleaned much, I then set to the kitchen and gave the sides, cooker top and floors a fairly good clean this evening :-)

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Day 8 – Weekend Kitchen cleaning tasks
    Did a quick clean today, didn’t manage to do anything over the week-end as I ended up sorting the cupboard in the hall instead!, plus the kids had a party to go to and then dd decided to do some baking yesterday. (Yes, spent a while this morning clearing it up!)
    I still have to mop the darned kitchen floor!

Today’s task is to create a Landing Strip, I’ve pretty much got that covered but shall have another look at the instructions to see if it can be improved.

jlw

January Home Cure

Game night on Saturday was a success – we had fun, they liked the food we cooked, and they were very complimentary about what we’d done with the place. Not so much the Cure stuff as just generally getting it set up (she had been over briefly just after we moved in when there were still boxes everywhere).

Landing strip, I’m not sure what I can do. My system right now is mostly to just remain vigilant about putting everything away as soon as possible. The issue is that our front door opens right into the living room on one side and the dining room on the other. We do have a coat rack and a couple bowls on a side table that’s just inside the door, but there’s no room beyond that. I will have to think it over some more.

djk

January Home Cure

Landing strip already in order: coat & shoe racks by the front door, keys for DH and me on command strips on the inside of the door, small bench for our bags

bandicoot

January Home Cure

landing strip assignment:
    we have hooks for our keys and a basket for an umbrella and shopping bags and things to be returned.
    mail sorting happens at the desk and sometimes in the car on the way back from the post office.
    i am ticking this one off the list.

jlw, we don’t have a hallway or entrance portico either.
    and we both tend to enter and exit the house by different doors. just to complicate things. i like the kitchen door, DH prefers the bedroom door or the living room doors which actually open onto the back verandah.

January Home Cure

Today after work: clean fridge and freezer. Hang hooks near sink for vegetable & dish & grout brushes. Then kitchen cure will be done.

Landing strip. already had key rack & hooks for coat & bag. No room for side table or wastebasket there (opens immediately into kitchen & main room). New bookshelves from last November have beveled corner units, and I’m really pleased with how those fit in and make everything come together and feel more open. Each unit has 5 shelves. For the angled corner shelves two steps away from the front door, I have:
    top shelf: crystal candy dish & vases and goblets from different sources, but that seem to go together in that arrangement. (cool white LED lights behind them make a nice impression). I use the goblets regularly for water or juice, just because I can. :)
    second shelf: max. two items, can be rotated seasonally. Currently one small teapot and a coordinating frame with family picture.
    third shelf: green penholder in the back corner and a nice green leaf divided tray (three separate leaves), which holds paperclips, coins, sticky note pad, and odds and ends without looking cluttered.
    fourth shelf: green ceramic box with markers, highlighters, calligraphy pens; my listpad and wallet live there too.
    fifth shelf: This is new to me. Materials to read now (hot seat–nothing should be here longer than 2 weeks, and nothing that has a longer commitment for research & writing). Public library books, books borrowed from someone, print newsletters or academic journal with one or two articles marked, currently 3 books to skim and donate, and my kindle. I used to keep some books in the bathroom, some on my nightstand, some on my endtable. Now I can have one book at hand, and the other “active” books are in one spot and don’t look messy.

My outbox is a tote bag on the back of the door; items there would be intended for someone in particular. We do have a thrift shop donation bin here in my apartment complex for general donations. We also have trash and recycling bins right at the mailboxes, which help me not bring so much junk inside.

I can put returns and weekly grocery ads in the car, now that I have a car, so that’s less front door clutter.

For several years now, when I lay out my clothes and bag for the next morning, I put anything I need right at the front door, so I couldn’t open the door without tripping over it. My sleepy brain is quite feeble, so any change in the routine needs to be written in marker and sticky note on the front door. Bring yogurt from fridge. Dentist 8:15. or whatever. I can bring a thermal mug and a bag of tea and get hot water for free from the campus coffee cart–but if I don’t have the mug and tea at the door, I’ll forget.

Nora

January Home Cure

I got two smaller projects done today – framed a piece of fabric and hung it up in the entryway, and I got a nice (discounted) scarf to hold back the curtain leading to my sleeping corner, and I re-hung the curtain.

Landing strip: Since everything that comes into my apartment has its place I see no need for creating a landing strip. I have a place to hang my coat, my key goes right into the lock and my backpack has a hook on the side of my bookshelf. I have no system yet to deal with my mail, but at least it has a place.

Guess I will spend the remaining evening finding locations to drop off my decluttered items.

djk

January Home Cure

Prof. Clutter, I can identify with the feeble morning brain!
    I usually put everything for the day jammed willynilly into my work bag the night before, and put the bag of kitchen garbage directly in front of the door so I have to pick it up to open the door.
    Thank God for coffee.

January Home Cure

Like @Nora, I already have a system so no landing strip required. Spent some time PEEPing tonight instead.

Sky

January Home Cure

We don’t really have a landing strip. We enter our house from the garage, the laundry room is left and the kitchen is right. We have a hall tree inside the door where we hang our coats we wear everyday, dog leashes and I keep my walking shoes and yard shoes there. DH leaves his shoes in the garage on a shoe rack he made. I keep my handbag on a hook behind my bedroom door and DH puts the stuff from his pockets in the chest of drawers. All my returns and charity donations stay in my car.

I cleaned my oven this weekend. My most dreaded job but it looks like new!

pkilmain

January Home Cure

Our landing strip is the top of the freezer! We enter our use diretly into a room we added on about 5 years ago. It could be called a den (there’s a couch an a table with a lamp) or an entry (there’s a good sized coat closet with place for shoes, hats, etc.) and then there’s the chest freezer and and 2 sets of stairs, one to main living area, and on the other end of the room, one to the daylight basement (office, sewing room, laundry, utility room, and shop).

Anyway the freezer provides a place to drop the mail. I pick it up, then sort it as soon as I get in the house, weed out the trash and recycling and put them in their respective places, leave DH’s mail for him and take my own to my desk. Works a treat, as anything left on the freezer is likely to fall behind it if left there.

I can hang up my coat and keys, leave my boots, and stash my backpack.

Ella

January Home Cure

I’ve been slacking off the last couple of days. Fortunately, the kitchen is in good shape, all meals are home-cooked, and my orchid is bursting with cheerful yellow blossoms so no need for cut flowers at this time. But the landing strip is a whole nother matter, part of my hallway major overhaul project. This may take a while spread out over a few days, it’s quite a mess.

Meglet

January Home Cure

@jlw – my front door also opens directly into the living area – in my case a combo living/dining room. What I ended up doing was putting a small floor shelf in the “dead” space behind the door for shoes, with a 4-hook rack above it for hanging coats and bags. Then on the normal wall to the other side of the door, I put a small Expedit shelf for Ikea, the bins are useful for storing and the surface is big enough for a key bowl and to have somewhere to set down my bag and groceries and boxes.

So, day 8: Landing Strip – I’m ahead of the game in that it’s already done and I use it. But I also need to work on the fact that it tends to expand onto my small dining room table when I bring too much stuff home!

Swede

January Home Cure

Day 9: Landing strip: Check! I hang stuff that needs to get to friends/charity from hangers on my coat rack (if I can’t see it it doesn’t exist so this is the only way I actually remember to bring them with me) and I have a tiny shelf where I put my keys and other small things that need to leave the apt with me. :) Right now it holds my keys, my brothers keys (as he is on holidays and I will take care of his plants) and some jewellery that I’m leaving at my brothers place for his gf. I also empty my pockets there of receipts and stuff that should stay in the apt, but I clear it almost daily so all good. :)

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i collected my re-mounted de-moulded picture from the framer today and it is just beautiful.
    and i am inspired to get some other things re-framed and cleaned up.

liag

January Home Cure

Isn’t it amazing how inspiring it is ONCE YOU GET STARTED?

January Home Cure

OK, a few loose ends here:
    1) I had done everything on my kitchen list except the freezer. that’s ok now–whew! In case you were wondering, if mint ice cream should happen to melt in a power outage and spill on the back wall and pool on the bottom shelf, and then should happen to be neglected for weeks, it will dry weirdly to neon green and gluey substance altogether resistant to wiping down–I knew I had seen that before, it must have been Dr. Suess’s oobleck!
    Kitchen project done.

2) Success! I’ve mentioned our bunkbed/trundle desk, that it was newly uncluttered and usable, but needed some more light there. I was going to buy an inexpensive ordinary reading lamp, but I decided instead on some willow branch lights I got on Christmas clearance at Target (brown “branches”, warm white LED lights). The branches were long enough to stick into the ground for an outdoor display, but the desk has a covered hole for cords anyway, so I just pushed them in far enough. It is absolutely lovely accent lighting, and surprisingly bright on the surface of the desk. It is a perfect ambiance for a relaxing and uncluttered space separate from my research-and-writing home office, a place for my own devotional and leisure reading. I’m keeping the surface clear.

3) I boxed up the little framed pictures I mentioned before. They are in a halfway state and (most?) will probably be purged a bit later. I also started a list of items I’m not getting rid of yet, but do not intend to move or replace. One wall hanging is ok over a door and not doing anyone any harm, but I’ll give it to a friend when I move. A rusty metal patio table and umbrella were left at the dumpster three years ago, have served me well, and now I’d just leave them for another neighbor when the time comes, etc. etc.

Taming paper & cord clutter & pruning/clipping/tidying flowerbeds are my biggest home cure jobs the rest of the month. oh, and the new casters are going on the bed today, so the bedroom projects will be done.

January Home Cure

Is it just me or does anyone else have another understanding for the term ‘landing strip’? Snigger. If not, apologies for my lowering the tone…

Completed my project task today, new shade to cover bare bulb in living room under a ceiling rose, chosen after conferring with DH. After fitting the pendant shade the other day, the bulb didn’t work. Replaced it today :-)

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

ooh, do tell, Secret Squirrel!

I think one of my projects was to paint the bathroom ceiling yet again to cover the mildew/mould showing through. Bought some anti-damp paint and cleaned the worst of the marks off yesterday. (Not very exciting!)

Meglet

January Home Cure

@Secret Squirrel – LOL, now that you mention it, yes!

Project “Pack and Purge” for today’s assigment- finally finished clearing off the 3 bookcases to get rid of, moved the donation pile near the door to load up tomorrow (and added some more things to it,) then moved a bunch of stuff around in the spare room to roll up the area rug so it’s ready for moving day. Moved all the stuff around again so it’s stacked in a semi-tolerable order, and cleared out the corner where I plan to stack all the packed boxes. Then packed a box (of picture frames) so I can finally feel like I’ve “started packing.” Will start packing in earnest on Sunday, after I pick up my moving boxes from my dad’s on Saturday.

irishbell

January Home Cure

ss- lol : )
    Surely we are not so high-brow as to not appreciate a double entendre!

January Home Cure

I can’t do a full media fast right now, but I can take stock.

Television: don’t one one, never have.
    Streaming video: ok, so I do catch some TV shows these days on Netflix streaming. That is going to be set for vacation hold for all of Lent. I guess I can skip that for a day.
    DVD video: no longer part of my Netflix subscription, and I’m not getting more from the public library for now.
    Pandora or music CDs: I often don’t think to turn on music while working or relaxing; got into the habit more at Christmas, but I can take a few days off without problem.

Email: always open. Everything ends up in one inbox. Must be more vigilant about unsubscribing from newsletters and junk mail & filtering out unimportant. Made a start last month, but didn’t follow through yet. Absolutely cannot fast from email during the workweek, but might as well this Saturday.
    GMail Chat: just one friend/colleague. I’ll give her a heads up that I’m not available Sat.
    twitter: don’t have it, and don’t intend to.
    pinterest: ditto.
    facebook: have 59 friends (54 current or former grad colleagues + 5 out of state relatives). Took three weeks off from fb at Christmas, ok with checking once a week now.
    Google+: tried it last year and my effort petered out.
    Google Reader (RSS feeds): just set up last fall, and it drastically changed my daily reading habits. Now following blogs instead of occasionally dropping in on them. This is also my news source. I like to skim headlines, open new tabs to read later, and mark all as read–oh, 3-5 times a day. Blessing or curse that everything ends up in one place (four different categories of interests)? Also, being signed up to three media outlets to skim headlines means that a tragic event (hurricane, shooting) will flood my RSS feed with worry, noise, and not much information. Maybe one news media source would be better. Anyway, I’ll take Saturday off of that too.
    Forums: just this and an academic one. Will take Saturday off.

Local newspaper: had it delivered for a few years, but stopped almost 3 years ago.
    Kindle: just got it for Christmas. I’m in the middle of a novel there now, and I added some more books on sale last weekend. But I haven’t really been using it much. I’ve been working from home, and relaxing at home, and print books come readily to hand here. Guess I’d pick up the kindle more if travelling/commuting.
    Print periodicals: used to get more home & garden type, but now that category is covered in blogs. I get two academic journals in print, and two religious publications. Nothing urgently needs reading this week.
    Print books: I’ve posted often enough about those here. I’ve uncluttered them from the bathroom and bedroom and desk surfaces, and I gave up my campus office for these next six months of fellowship (no teaching). I still have one full wall of books plus one cabinet plus two shelves mounted high on a wall. I have returned 80% of the university library books I had checked out; the rest have a place to live on my shelves. I’ve gotten rid of all the low-hanging fruit, and I’ll try to donate a couple every week. Can’t promise a faster rate than that. And I have plenty to read for work and for meetings & academic discussion groups now, so I will not and can not include books on a media fast.

So, Saturday will be my media fast day for everything except two designated books for research.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

media fast, hmmm.
    i read stuff on flipboard and only turn on the tv to watch specific shows or a dvd.
    i don’t listen to the radio and i don’t get a newspaper….on the weekends i might share the australian. but not every weekend.
    i think my media intake is quite restrained already.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I admire your restraint, Bandicoot! I’m so bad I’ll probably have to schedule a media fast day, beginning with turning off my alarm clock radio. Maybe Sunday.

Ella

January Home Cure

Day 11: Media Fast

This one’s easy for me:
    “Today’s Assignment: It’s simple in concept but can be tough in the execution.
    This evening (or whenever your main block of “home time” is) take a break from television, computer, tablet and cell or smart phone.”

I have no problem taking time off from all electronic screens for this one evening.
    In fact, I have a pile of new magazines to catch up with while I run a load of laundry. Looking forward to it.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I thought it was an entire day! I often do a full morning or evening media fast.

Ella

January Home Cure

Hmm… there’s nothing in today’s assignment that says a whole day, but just “this evening.” I imagine there are an awful lot of people who can’t unplug at all ever.
    So this one-evening challenge might be utterly impossible for them… or else a revelation!

Meglet

January Home Cure

Media fast – well, I was planning to put the phone on silent and the computer to sleep and read a book or something instead of watching TV. Then work paged me and I spent the better part of the evening fixing servers, which required computer use. :D

Tomorrow I have plans that will either result in a media fast (except for music) or result in me spending hours at the PC working on my photography, not sure yet. Friday is TV night, but Saturday might be crash night since I’ll be spending all day driving. Otherwise, might have to do this fast on “catch up day” later in the month.

Swede

January Home Cure

Media fast – My intake is quite restrained as well so I think I’m good. Don’t have a TV, not glued to my phone, not glued to my computer… Will however go for a nice walk in the snow today (and cheat with some streamed music in my ears) and when I get home I will read my book for a while (no cheats). :)

Joless

January Home Cure

Urge, I don’t think I could manage :-) I was thinking just the other day how next Christmas it would be lovely to rent a tiny remote cottage with a fire and hide out there, but I realised I would require broadband! I am definitely addicted. My GF and I have to remind each other to actually watch tv rather than fiddling with other stuff at the same time.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

we sometimes have to have an ipad handy while watching movies, because i looove recognising obscure actors, then trying to guess what bit part we saw them in last.
    and often resort to google and imdb!

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

I’m one of those people who has a hard time unplugging. I do like to read a good book, and when it is warmer outside, I love long walks. Or combining the two – long walk plus good book.

But I also:

a) tend to catch up on work projects, all of which require a computer, from home – and this is usually non-negotiable. i.e., get the work done or else
    b) enjoy browsing the internet
    c) like to have radio (NPR) or TV on in the background when I am cleaning or paying bills or whatever else

I do yoga, but I actually like watching a DVD class to help guide my yoga practice and remind me of form, so even that has a screen involved!

jlw

January Home Cure

I skipped the media fast. I understand the point but I don’t feel it’s a problem for me. I will keep it in mind in the future though. (And I really don’t think reading a book is at all in the same category!)

Day 12 is declutter books and media – which we are well underway on already. I will look at our DVDs again since I know there are a couple we had considered selling. Books are in progress; we have 2 shelves of the linen closet (yes, I know that’s weird) full of books we’ll be selling after reading again. However, I might poke through there and decide on some that I don’t feel like reading again after all – sometimes I change my mind. Considering the number of books we started with and the ones we’ve gotten rid of so far, I feel just fine about taking it slow with the rest.

I will also choose several recipes from a cookbook I’m unsure about so we can try those soon. If the dishes turn out to be excellent, I’ll keep the book, otherwise it can go too.

My parents are arriving next Wed. night so I am on the clock to get everything ready for them! Fortunately I’ve been keeping up on most things so there’s no major disasters that need cleaning up. Except maybe the pile of dirty dishes.

January Home Cure

I’ve made a lot of progress on the books since November, but this is now a category I have to keep nibbling at, rather than one big bite.
    I’m also getting back to setting the timer for 15 mins and going through the fileboxes of unsorted papers.

jlw

January Home Cure

Oh, also, I have been asking my husband if he will look through his huge box of old comic books and decide what to do about them. He’s started looking but hasn’t made any decisions yet. If he wants to keep them, we will at least need to get some smaller boxes to replace the one awkwardly shaped and starting to fall apart one. At least we have room on the bookshelves now to hold those.

djk

January Home Cure

Hmmm. Not sure I’m going to do a media fast. We almost never turn on the mini tv (DH watches one show on Sunday night and that is it), I never listen to the radio, I’m seldom on the computer except for work, with the exception of Sunday evenings when DH watches his show. However,I am alllllllways on my iPhone, writing lists, googling, planning my week and to-dos, I check Pinterest, fb, and Unclutterer:)
    I use my commute for fb mostly. I love having insta-reference for any thing I need. Basically, I don’t wanna give it up:)

Not to mention, I had planned the spend the evening streaming the last few episodes of Dexter.

djk

January Home Cure

Re: books
    I have made a few big culls but mine are pretty much pared down and DH is getting on the bandwagon too. Will do a quick check tonight of the bookshelves

s

January Home Cure

Bandicoot, we call that use of iPad ‘research’ so it’s Not wasted time. :-)

s

January Home Cure

Djk, you do all that on your iPhone!?!? No iPad? Wow. Too much resizing for me.

djk

January Home Cure

All on the phone!
    I don’t find the size a problem, probably just used to it I guess! And my über-cool new reading glasses help:)

DH says I’m an iPhone “power-user” and it’s true. It does everything for me short of plucking my eyebrows.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

my books/dvds/cds are as culled as i want them at the moment.
    i have had several big purges over the last couple of years and i am content with the levels.
    but i’ll run an eye over them, in the spirit of the cure.
    you never know what you might find.

pkilmain

January Home Cure

Wow, I only read on my iPhone if I’m forced into waiting somewhere I hadn’t anticipated. If I know I’ll be waiting, I take my iPad. This morning I had to wait on the therapist at PT, but fortunately I was able to have a nice text conversation with my sister. She’s between jobs so availabale more often. Plus new job is only part-time so we should be able to keep in touch better. We’re 4 hours apart in time (3,000 in miles!) so phoning takes coordination, while texting does not.

Anyway, I had a media fast last night asd I was at a meeting! lol I spend a fair amount of time on the computer and iPad (use it for kindle reading), not so much TV, though I turn it on for the weather in the evening news.

Ella

January Home Cure

Maybe it’s the Monk in me, but the messy bookshelves in today’s Apartment Therapy photo are making my skin crawl. I think Maxwell’s 10% empty rule is silly if they can’t keep the other 90% tidy. I’d rather have 100% in order.

Katt

January Home Cure

Not only are the bookshelves messy, they look overloaded and insubtantial to me. If you bumped into them, it looks like the whole shebang would come crashing down.

I’m about to do a major cull of my books. My goal is to keep only what I’ve reread and truly love. I have already given parts of my collection away, I just need to keep my end goal in sight and get going. I’ve worked in a major independent bookstore for the last seventeen years, so yeah, I have a crazy amount of books to purge/make decisions about. I’ll start with the low hanging fruit. I do know friends who have sold off their entire collection in one fell swoop, but I think that’s too much for me right now, especially considering there’s a fair amount of change afoot.

Meglet

January Home Cure

I just finished a MASSIVE book purge in October or so, but I was surprised to find I actually had another box-worth to go out today.

I cleaned out magazines a few days ago, and today I put the stacks of “maybe” CDs & DVDs into the Outbox.

Then I sat, and I stared at my bookcases for a while – I’m down to 2 big Ikea Billy bookcases, and I realized if I could get just one more shelf of paperbacks out, I could replace a big Billy with a little Billy, which would work much better in my new apartment in a few weeks. So I looked at the collection of Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff, and realized it’s ALL available on Kindle, and I haven’t read much if any of it in years. I put all the books I want to keep track of on my “replace with Kindle version” wishlist, then put them all in a box to take to the used bookstore next week.

And wow, I can NOT believe that my book collection is down to 1 large, and 1 small bookcase, from needing it’s own room full of bookcases a few years ago.

Now having a mental debate between doing yesterday’s media fast, and watching the 3 TV episodes I’ve been looking forward to all week long.

Katt

January Home Cure

It’s odd, because I subscribe to Spotify and would have no problem doing a massivve cull of my CD collection. My music listening is mostly all digital, with some live shows mixed in. I don’t listen to them much in the car anymore either.

But the books are gonna take some time. For one thing, Spotify is $10 a month for a premium subscription. There’s a ton of ebooks around, but what it would cost to replace the dearly best beloved parts of my collection is more than I can afford.

Meglet, I did think of you as I contemplated this whole process :) You survived a massive book purge just fine, I’m sure I will too. My nature is to moan and groan a bit, then get to packing.

Meglet

January Home Cure

LOL, Katt, the CD collection is the last frontier – I’ve managed to rid myself of a whopping 10 CDs out of 900 or so. But I’m very picky about my music, and don’t do any listening services, and darn it *SOMETHING* must be sacred through this whole process. :D

As to the book purge, well, I hate to tell you but I still can’t look at photos of people’s beautiful personal libraries. Makes me sad. Which is kind of silly since I’ve done all my reading on Kindle for years now. As for replacements – I had gradually replaced a bunch over the last few years anyway, the rest I just added to a list and as I feel like reading them I’ll buy them. If I never feel like reading them, then I won’t buy them. Cuts down the replacement cost quite a bit. :)

Sky

January Home Cure

My bookcase is in good shape. We own 5 movies and our CD’s are in a zip up case in the car.
    Feeling good about this one!

Swede

January Home Cure

Magazines – Only have one, and when I’ve read it out it goes. Oh, and keeping three others as they have articles and pictures of my brother and my dad.
    Music – Already culled my CD’s, have about 25 left which are my absolute favorites. Digital music… ugh… I’m glad that wasn’t on the list. ;)
    Movies – I own 5 DVD’s. One is a DVD box set left behind by my tenant: “How to ignite your masculine sexual fire”!! Lol. Too funny to give away.
    Games – Have four game apps on my phone. They can stay. :)
    Books – I have somewhere between 250-300 books now which is more than I thought I had. Two moving boxes full. But the majority are books I haven’t read yet, so I am doing this bit by bit. I’m trying to read books I know I won’t want to keep and have gotten rid of about 25% in 2012. Will keep at it during 2013, aiming for one book a week.

Ella

January Home Cure

Moving ahead with my hallway project… I bought a very nice, very sturdy over-door coat rack with enough hooks for guest coats. Looks good!

The landing strip got a major overhaul two days ago, and the new arrangement seems to be working well. However, I’ve said that every time I’ve overhauled the landing strip (five times by now, I think), so we shall see…

January Home Cure

congratulations, meglet. sounds like you’re making consistent progress and are preparing well for this move!

s

January Home Cure

Ella, I love those over door racks with hooks. Soooo useful.

Ella

January Home Cure

Here’s the new coat rack in the entry hallway, on the outside of the bathroom door:

Ella

January Home Cure

And here’s a broader view of the newly rearranged landing strip. I used to have a huge wooden bowl there, heaped with all kinds of stuff in a messy jumble. Now it’s simply an antique toy wagon holding only sunglasses, card case, and filofax. Keys and alternate glasses are in the hanging wall basket/hook. Two top drawers of the cabinet hold maps, coupons, makeup bag, tissues, mints, and other stuff I can easily grab and drop in my purse or pocket. The painting on the left covers up the ugly electrical switch box.

pkilmain

January Home Cure

Very nice Ella!

luxcat

January Home Cure

I have not been participating in this challenge but have been happily lurking looking at others’ progress. Nice work Ella!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

ella…nice rack!
    (couldn’t resist).
    no seriously, the hallway is looking amazingly organised and clutter-free.

vjb

January Home Cure

bandicoot – LOL!

ella – your hall looks beautiful!

For my landing strip, I need to pull down my temporary 3M hooks, haul out the stud-finder and drill and put up the beautiful new ‘trook hooks’ I bought… I find drilling holes in walls so daunting though.

I’m going to try to focus on how great it’ll be when the new hooks are up: my hat won’t fall off all the time!

January Home Cure

Ella that’s lovely, I like that beautiful objects are being used to store your things, not just ‘storage-type’ furniture, which is fine, but can look a bit plain (unless you like plain!). I also like your big painting on the left.

Bandicoot- ;-)

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

I haven’t kept up with the cure at all (didn’t really expect to – but I couldn’t resist signing up for the e-mails), but after several trips out of town this month, my house is back to being a messy wreck (DH was around, but he has been busy as well, and he also just isn’t as bothered by that sort of thing as I am).

So I think today is another major “deep clean” day, and I think I will use the Cure as guidance along the way!

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Day ’13′ Week-end Task

Bedroom Clean

Basically, Put all stuff away that should be put away,
    Clean mirrors and windows,
    Declutter and dust all surfaces,
    Give the room a good vacuuming,
    Vacuum out the closet,
    Launder the bed linens, covers etc, flip mattress.

Think it’ll take me more than a week-end to do this one, I’m glad there’s a catch-up day built into this month’s cure, just hope Peter Walsh does one as well!!

January Home Cure

I did a low-key version of the bedroom-cleaning task today – lit some incense and let it waft about while cleaning the windowsill and bedside tables, changed the bedlinen and PEEPed away lots of random stuff. No hoovering, that will have to wait, as I made curtains for the back bedroom this afternoon and sorted lots of laundry. Our clothes live in the other bedroom, too, and the rails/shelves are fairly tidy.

January Home Cure

I am just starting my weekly housecleaning–vacuum, etc–and then I need to drive someone to Costco and other stores.
    Fortunately, I did the deep clean (move dresser, clean window & blinds) in the bedroom last week, and the casters are replaced on my trundle bed.
    Will do laundry, including my comforter, this afternoon.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

i will be polishing timber furniture, shaking a rug out, and re-hanging clothes, later.
    this morning i vacuumed and mopped; yesterday was bed linen.

BZB

January Home Cure

I got partially caught up on the home cure yesterday. Did a deep clean of kitchen counters, cleared magnets and kid art off fridge and scrubbed it inside and outside, cleaned inside of oven (not perfect but good enough for now), mopped kitchen floor. For bedroom, did a thorough vacuum including the corners and edges, dusted baseboards, cleaned under nightstands and dresser and bed, flipped mattress, and made up the bed with different bedspread and pillow shams for a new look. DH made me a jewelry organizer for Christmas, need to hang it up.
    The paperwhites are still holding up, so did not buy fresh flowers.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I’m skipping this weekend’s assignment because I’ve gotten so much done in other areas this week. Plus I’ve got a lot of writing to catch up on; cleaning and decluttering and taking showers are great incubators but sooner or later ya gotta hit the keyboard.

Meglet

January Home Cure

Sigh. I’m falling down on the Cure again. In my defense, I spent all day on Saturday driving forth and back to get my moving boxes. Sunday morning I declared “relax and do nothing” and then Sunday afternoon I finally started packing.

Fortunately, my bedroom is already neat, and relatively clean. I did shake the bedding out and fluff up the pillows, I’ll have to give the bedding a deep clean in a few days. I’ll also dust and vacuum visible floor space (yay Roomba and Swiffer!) but I’m not going to deep clean a room I’m moving out of in 3 weeks.

I will say, I LOVE having a nice clean room – even when not dusted or vacuumed in a few days, the amount of de-cluttering, PEEPing, and curating that has taken place over the last few months has created a wonderfully relaxing space that actually STAYS that way.

January Home Cure

Papers and files today, eh?
    Well, my financial paperwork isn’t extensive (my rent includes utilities; my checking & credit card have paperless statements). In the past year, I’ve mailed back “time capsules” of the personal letters I received ~10 years ago, and I only have a couple here. Just got rid of most of the cards I’ve received, too.

So, if we’re just going by the categories listed in today’s newsletter, my files are ok. I’m paying bills today, and then I’m fine for another month.

But if we also include the fact that all my paperwork is at home because I don’t have a uni office this year while I’m not teaching, and I don’t even have a research library carrel because of construction . . . what’s to be done with 31.5 linear inches of fileboxes and magazine holders of unsorted papers pertaining to research, teaching, or academic service? (I did make progress last month by setting the timer for 15 mins and just tackling some every day. I’ll get back to that as much as I can, now that this cure is winding down.) Some of it can be purged, but I will need to look at each piece, and I need some items reorganized into a useful form for my teaching portfolio. Oh, and I have an accordion file for current job applications. That will fill up over the next few months. So taming this paper monster will take a while.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

@Meglet – sounds like you are doing great (WAY better than me) so don’t sweat it!

@ProfClutter – Sooner or later, it all comes down to paper, doesn’t it? :) I don’t have any problem with “regular” bills, but I do end up with a lot of work-related or task-related paper as well.

Nora

January Home Cure

Get Papers & Files in Order…. oh my – I’d need the home cure to last at least another 4 weeks to get that task done. But I’ll work at it for 2 hours tonight and then continue with it when the cure is over.

My bedroom is completely deep cleaned. I gave it a major overhaul last summer, so it wasn’t too hard. I decluttered a couple of smaller items that I kept back then “just in case” and now decided that “justin case” will never come to visit.
    I also got the courage to finally throw out a candle that produced way too much soot (I wiped off a lot of it already during the home cure and don’t feel like doing it anytime again).

So far I got 10 of my little projects done, and I have 15 left. With all the deep-cleaning and other tasks going on I’d say that I’m doing pretty good.
    Alright, off to work on my papers now.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

files and paper….check that off.
    yesterday i used a scanner on my own for the very first time (the new printer scans), so i scanned incoming car insurance and registration.
    my goal is to get rid of or downsize the three drawer filing cabinet.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

I’m getting more than behind on this January Cure thing! But I have managed to get some backdated tasks done the last week -

Kitchen – Washed the floor at last (on my hands and knees no less to get into all those corners that the mop never quite fits into. Well, Maxwell did say to get intimately aquainted with your surroundings by giving them a good clean!)

Bedroom – Finally managed to PEEP the full-up laundry basket of bits and pieces that I’d gathered from around the flat from weeks ago, what a relief!

Outbox – Have taken 2 lots of unwanted items to the charity shops last week and the Salvation Army collected a binliner worth of clothes on Tues.

January Home Cure

Cord Control is one of my key projects and a priority today.
    I do have a daunting mess of cords in the far corner of the main room right next to my desk chair (where my feet need to be, whichever side of my corner desk I’m sitting on). Definitely messy, definitely in my way. But now that my roommate/sister is back in town, I need to ask her to help me move that furniture and figure out the cords (printer and peripherals, router, modem, and who knows what). Some plugs and cords can be fully hidden, but I will need easy access to two plugs and laptop chargers.

I am keeping that branching LED light display I mentioned in the bed/readingdesk, so I’ll use the staplegun to hide that cord and one going to my little china cabinet. But the big project will have to wait until evening, when I hope I can get her help.

jlw

January Home Cure

I am ALLLLLLL over the place on this cure. In some parts I am really ahead (I started paperwork 2 days early! and the filing cabinet has extra space in it!) and then there is the pantry and the fact that I cannot actually find the piece of art I intended to frame. It’s here somewhere, I just am not sure where…

Anyway, my parents are coming tomorrow night, so I’ll probably tune out till they leave and then catch up.

January Home Cure

yes, jlw, I’m all over the place, too. Got ahead on some things–cleaned (and repainted!) my bathroom cabinet yesterday. But paperwork will need its own month-long cure, I guess.
    And I can’t find a library book I need. It absolutely must be here somewhere, but there are no cluttery places left for it to be hiding. How very odd–and irritating.

Ella

January Home Cure

I’m hopelessly behind on the schedule of these assignments. I need to tear the bed area completely apart for a deep cleaning, including cord wrangling. And the paper clutter monster has been growing ominously ever since I fell off that particular 15-minute wagon. Paper is a month-long project all on its own.

For now I’ll just keep chipping away at my hallway project, so I can have at least that one thing to declare done by the end of January.

January Home Cure

- wiped down the vertical blinds in the living room
    - 2nd pass uncluttering the shelves in the front closet (results posted on ATAD thread)

Still haven’t tamed the cords monster, but now I’ve done all the things on my list from the beginning of the month, except for the corner desk & papers and for the patio & plants. Feels good to have all those other sundry things taken care of, so I can focus more through the end of the month. At least the desk and patio are both tidy, if not uncluttered. Surfaces are clear.

Nora

January Home Cure

@Prof. Clutter: I experienced the same thing a couple of days ago. I was looking for something and I was not able to find it – and there were no piles or anything where it could’ve been hidden. And I know where I placed it before I lost it – haven’t found it to this day.

@Ella and @Prof. Clutter: I guess that makes three of us to take on a 4-week-paper-cure. Maybe we should set that as a goal for either February or March.
    Seeing how much I’m accomplishing with the home cure, I can only imagine how much of a difference I can make working for 4 weeks on my papers.

Today was an easy day for me – I have only 2 visible cords. One is white on a white background and doesn’t annoy me at all because you can barely see it. The other one is black, but mostly hidden. That made a nice day off and gave me back energy to continue tomorrow.

mdfloyd

January Home Cure

I’m all over the place with this January House Cure, too. Piles of paper on the table, but they’re organized and won’t be too difficult to put away. Laundry done, but cords are still a mess. Some projects on the list are done; others not even thought about.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, though I’m not giving up just yet!

pkilmain

January Home Cure

OMG, paper! I swear I’ll never be through with it. I have decided to leave my home paper until I get back in mid-Feb. I have enough at the church that I’ve pulled out for year-end stuff. At least I know where all that goes, and when I’m done it will all be pretty. :)

Meglet

January Home Cure

Papers & Files yesterday – I finally got a filing system in place a year or so ago for the few things I don’t receive electronically, so I’m in pretty good shape there. Except for one small, scary, leftover “to be filed” box, which I think is mostly paystubs from 4+ years ago. If I ignore it long enough, I’ll be able to just dump most of it straight into the shredder! :D

Cord clutter – I’m actually in pretty good shape here, too, since I can’t stand tangled cords. Except for behind the TV/Stereo system (yikes!!!) which I’m just ignoring until I move, as hopefully I’ll take the time to re-wire it all properly. And the other bad place was my nightstand – I’ve basically banned electronics from my bedroom except for an alarm clock (really an iPhone dock, since it’s my alarm) and a Kindle for bedtime reading. But somehow between 2 cables for the clock, the Kindle charger, and the lamp, there was a scary mess of cords just dangling away, and noticeable from all the way down the hall. So I dug out one of those plastic cord wraps (which I’ve meant for years to use on the stereo) and wrangled all the nightstand cords into it, then tucked most of it behind the mirror. There’s still a bit more visible than I’d like, but at least now it’s neat and I can live with it. (Til, yes, you guessed it, I move. Because I’ll probably have a different nightstand and cord arrangement.)

Swede

January Home Cure

Bedroom – Deep cleaned everything and flipped the mattress etc just a few weeks ago so I did a “normal” cleaning now. Check!

Papers – Check! Working though the last of the sentimental crap, will be done in a few weeks (from 4 stuffed binders to only 121 pages left!!).

Cords – Under control! It helps that I don’t have a lot of electric stuff: laptop, microwave, toaster, modem/router, mobile phone charger, stereo and a few lamps. :)

bandicoot

January Home Cure

cords, o god.
    the computer cords are beautifully under control and practically invisible, thanks to wireless everything.

the tv is a disaster. there are many components.
    it is all clean, at least, but i need to actually chop speaker cords down by 75% rather than attempt to roll them up or corral them.
    and i don’t have time to fiddle with that today. that is a major project for another day, but at least it is on my new and improved project list.

as for the big list of projects, i have a builder’s quotein and he is booked to come and install skirting boards and new guttering and hooks and hooks and hooks.
    BUT i am back to the drawing board on storage for vacuum cleaner and bedding….the quote for the big cupboard in the (outside) laundry was $1750 + 10% tax and i thought hmmm, how many BASKETS can i buy for that sort of dough?

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

@bandicoot – that’s a lot of baskets! :)

Cords are one of my other downfalls – we have cords like you wouldn’t believe, as well as an old house where only some of the outlets are appropriately grounded or GFCI’d for 3-prong plugs. It’s a mess! Seems like the best answer for us would be to give up some of our electronics – but that would necessitate a pretty major “life change” – we watch a lot of Netflix, use a lot of internet, etc.

I would love to do this January cure in February when I think I will have more time to DO things and not just READ about things. Maybe I will…

Mimi

January Home Cure

Hi everybody, I nearly fell of the wagon concerning the home cure. I “ketchupped” within the last few days and here are the result:
    -I made my list of projects. Interesting how many projects there are in such a small studio.
    -I defined a shopping bag as my new outbox. Luckily I don´t have a lot to unclutter so I need it especially for bottles that need to be recycled
    -Flowers! Could not decide for fresh cut flowers (uaaah, freshly killed flowers…) and bought plastic instead. My bathroom doesn´t have a window so every living flower would die soon. Artificial grass plus a searose made from fabric now do the trick. Spa feeling for students. :) I cleaned the whole flat and I enjoyed so much that this studio is small.
    -The fresh perspective task didn´t work.
    -The project that I completed… no… that I started was to furnish the kitchen. It took two days and is not ready yet but this is what we have done: buy cupboards from ikea, install them, install water plumbing thingies for washing machine and dishwasher, cover the ugly tiles with wood, paint the wood. There are some more tasks to do but even though I define the first part as a success.
    -A piece of art is on the wall, the “holstee manifesto”, printed and not framed but glued on wood.
    -The get-together happened on the day that I got the Email from apartment-therapy. A friend came over and we had a nice time drinking tea.
    -Flowers again, bought some daffodils in a pot, they can be planted in the garden in spring.
    -Kitchen organizing was fun as I don´t have anything to toss. I just cooked and cleaned afterwards as usual.
    -The landing strip was tricky. The entry hall is so small that I don´t want to add anything to avoid claustrophobia. I just used two nails as hooks to create a place for the keys.
    -One more goal project: I created a nice “something” to cover the ugly fuse box. Looks cool now.
    -The media fast, errrr, I overslept it on Sunday morning until early afternoon, thanks to two cocktails on the evening before.
    -No books/media to unclutter, cancelled this step, but I keep in mind that I could unclutter digitally. Next time…
    -Flowers again, skipped this step this week as the daffodils are still nice.
    -Bedroom cleaning, well, I don´t have a real bedroom and so I just cleaned and decided to order a second set of bed linen to avoid stress. No tumbler, so washing/ drying is a bit of a hassle.
    -Yesterday I worked on my papers. It was really annoying but what a relief to get it done.
    -Cord control skipped, I´ll do that today as I know that my bathroom cabinets are in order, as I have organized them last week.
    …whew…

bandicoot

January Home Cure

wow mimi…a LOT of ketchup!

January Home Cure

good work, Mimi!

Still haven’t done the desk/computer/peripheral cords, as I do need someone else’s help in that corner. But yesterday I used a staplegun to keep the bedroom and china cabinet cords out of sight.

In the afternoon, I had to take a neighbor to the stores. I ended up getting a lampshade for $6.99, which I thought would replace the one that I’d damaged recently. The harp isn’t right for that lamp, so I’ll keep looking, but I tried the shade on the other lamp (built into the endtable at the sofa, right next to my desk). This rectangular-base fluted shade is a bit shorter and much sleeker than the topheavy shapeless shade that was there before. I hadn’t noticed that it was a problem, but it looks so much better now. I’ll look elsewhere for a replacement shade in the same shape for the green lamp. [edit: just found what I need on WalMart.com, and it will be shipped for free to be picked up at FedEx office here, so that's done!]

In the evening, rather than working on cords, I tackled a cupboard and drawer of office-related clutter (binders/dividers/folders/special papers/notebooks). Now I have the new supplies I still need neatly stacked in the one cupboard shelf, and I have reclaimed the bottom file drawer from used notebooks and new supplies (so I have plenty of room for real files and don’t need unsorted papers squirreled away in there parts of the room!). All these years, I’ve had a two-drawer file cabinet under the desk, but with files only in the top drawer. bad use of space, just because I couldn’t get rid of stuff. Took out one full basket of paper trash, 2 bags of supplies to donate, and feel much better about having space to keep my necessary teaching and research documents in the hanging folders there.

Glad to hear some of you will also be tackling paper piles in the coming weeks. I do want to have a thread here next month for a paper cure.

luxcat

January Home Cure

@sleepykitten those outlets are simple to upgrade if you wanted to. or just buy a handful of ground lifter plugs!

Meglet

January Home Cure

Bathroom & Medicine cabinets today!

I took the last few random bits out of the 2nd bathroom (I’d had a full kit of miniature sized stuff & samples in there for guests) and used it to start the piles to clean out the cabinets in my master bath (downsizing to 1 bathroom in the new apartment.)

Emptied everything onto the counter, sorted all the likes together, dumped the stuff that was expired, that I don’t use, or that was nearly empty. Put the full or nearly full stuff I don’t use into a stack for a friend who can use it. Put just enough “extra” stuff (razor blades, conditioner, TP, etc) back into one cabinet to get me through to the move, then PACKED everything that’s not a daily-use thing (so, the bin of spare lotions, cotton balls, hot water bottle, steamer, you get the picture) and labeled the box for moving day.

Moved and dusted everything that’s left out, and on moving day it should all fit into the 2 cloth storage bins I use in the bathroom – those 12″ cubicals ones – so that will be easy to deal with.

Still having a mental debate on replacing my makeup trays – they’re ceramic, but they’re kind of re-purposed, and there’s some desk organizers (there I go re-purposing again) that would fit & match perfectly, and take up less counter space.

January Home Cure

I am away on a work trip at the moment, but will sort out my cables when I get back. Not ones attached to a tv or computer, but I have loads of looped up cables in a wheeled tall set of drawers full of computer and camera bits. The drawers work, but I definitely can thin the contents down .

Medicines and bathroom – did this the other week.

January Home Cure

sounds great, meglet.

I did the bathroom cabinets within the past month, so that’s fine. Thrilled with my new lampshades, so living room lighting is fine (overhead @ kitchen table, endtable lamp, other table lamp, and a good desk lamp). Florescent/CFL give me headaches, so we’re back to incandescent, except for one warm white LED bulb. I’d upgrade to those for energy-saving, if/when my budget allows.

hoping once again to get the desk/computer cords done tonight!

Sasjanep

January Home Cure

I have been following this as well as Peter Walsh so, feeling very smug that my very small medicine tin is done.

The bathroom cabinets are a little full as I got a few toiletries for Christmas, but they will be used up. I had a quick tidy and threw out an empty box toothpaste came in (why was that still there?) and changed the head on my sonic toothbrush.

Looks better now!

Meglet

January Home Cure

Living Room lighting – another “easy” one, as I currently LOVE the way my living room is lit.

I’ve killed off the single over-head ugly fixture that’s over the “dining” half of the room, plugged some nice up-directed mini flood lights into the switch on the “living” half of the room, and scattered lamps in all the important spots. In fact, I have 6 lamps in here right now, with a lovely mix of direct task lighting, soft relaxing lighting, and mid-range what I consider “living” lighting.

Dodged the bathroom accessory replacement bullet temporarily by becoming indecisive – so now I’m casually surfing clear glass apothecary-style containers, instead of the office supply ones I was thinking of. The clear glass ones would be more neutral for my frequent decor changes anyway. :D

bandicoot

January Home Cure

the living room lighting is perfectly fine.
    opposite corners are lit by lamps, and the bay window has a lamp in the ceiling, which is nook-like.
    the other half of the house is bedroom/office/bathroom and the lighting is varied and specific etc there too.
    no changes or purchases required.

backtracking a bit.
    i went to the city today and made several purchases towards various projects:
    1. a retractable hose on a reel, just for the verandah plants. bye bye miles of crushed hose that jams and tangles.
    2. three enormous wicker chests (in 3 sizes) for bedding storage….HOORAY!!….the largest one is doing double duty as a shared end table between daybeds…..perfect for remote controls, phones, cups of tea. this is a massive win, believe me.
    3. a thingummy that you hook to the wall and then hang your brooms/mops/rakes/cleaning cloths from.
    4. various hooks
    5. madly strong brass magnetic door stoppers. currently we have cheap and nasty hooks, that visitors never think to use, so doors slam in the breeze. i have enough to fasten every door back AND two for the kitchen door, which is a “stable” door.
    6. a retractable power cord with four outlets, for the market. it is compact and beautiful.
    7. two things that you wind extra long extension cords onto for safe tangle-free stowage. i know how to wrap cords up, but my husband doesn’t or won’t. these things should help.
    8. finally found two soap pump things in light and dark charcoal. decanted shampoo and conditioner into them and they look smashing in the bathroom. even though both of us mostly just wash our hair with our own handmade soap these days.
    9. bought a stainless steel cup to hold toothbrushes in the shower cubicle. this replaces a recycled glass tumbler i have been carrying around for 23 years. i love the look of glass in the shower, but increasingly doubtful about glass and soapy hands.
    the glass can be a handy small vase instead.

some things were installed as soon as we got home, and some are waiting for the day the builder comes.
    these things would have dragged on for another year without the impetus provided by the home cure and this discussion right here. so, thank you all!

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

This weekend I’m going to try to do a Mimi-style catch-up. (WOW, Mimi!)

BZB

January Home Cure

a little bit of ketchup:
    I said I would take photos of my problem room instead of doing the 10-minutes sitting from a different perspective. I had not done it, but I did it last night. This room will be a big project, but maybe looking at these pictures will give me some ideas.

January Home Cure

hurrah! I finally did that cord project at my desk. Did it myself in fact, after checking with my roommate and making sure she had a chance to claim any cords or request changes. This was the biggest project left on my Jan list, and it transformed an irritating corner with blue, yellow, and black cords hanging down from the printer shelf, across the desk and into the swirling mass of cords at my feet (which has been a problem for 3 years!). Those cords on the floor were so tangled and spread out that either my foot or my chair would jostle something and turn off modem or router or charger or printer or lamp. And lately when I needed to plug in one charger, I’d have to unplug something else.

So, now I have no cords on the desk or the floor in front of my desk. I have easy access to plug in laptop chargers, and I can easily take that charger to campus without having to untangle everything else. The lamp cord runs behind and underneath as it should. All the printer and internet wiring is behind the desk, with just the router on top and no slack cord visible. The modem is on the floor in the corner–out of sight but reachable, should I need to restart it and its excess cord tied up. The surge protector is mounted to the back wall of the desk. oh, that was the last bit of furniture to move and vac under this month, too.

ahhhhh. any wonder why I haven’t been able to work well in that space? I’m actually looking forward to writing tomorrow.

enjoying cocoa, Agatha Christie, scented candle, and sound of rain right now. Good night!

January Home Cure

prof. Clutter: wow! Sounds like a lot of work that has really paid off.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

@ProfClutter – you are inspiring me to tackle my own cord problems! Did you purchase anything to complete the project (I know there are various “cord container” products out there), or did you use basic stuff tape/staples/etc.?

January Home Cure

Cords and cables and the cleaning I am sorting out tomorrow. Today I did lots of errands and bought a planted hyacinth bulb for the ‘flowers’ task.

January Home Cure

@Susanintexas, I thought I’d need to color-code and label more, but now it’s quite clear. My sister said she’d gotten some sort of cord organizer last month, but it’s been a week and she can’t find it; she’s not at all uncluttering now, btw. I wasn’t waiting any longer.

I didn’t really need to mask the cords, just put them behind and feed the end through the designated space on the desk (for the router and chargers anyway). The modem has long cords, but ended up being set on the floor just under the outlet, well out of sight–those were the only cords I had to tie, and I just used twist ties from plastic bags. I had used the staplegun to direct a cord near my bed and another near my china cabinet, but not here.
    My desk is comprised of a 2-drawer file cabinet under the work surface under the window, a narrow 4-shelf unit for stationery and binders, etc, and a coordinating narrow computer desk)–so, there isn’t really any wall space visible, and the printer & router cords hanging behind the shelves aren’t a problem. I have a six-outlet strip mounted in the corner, so I can reach there and unplug the charger if I need it.

Even though I have Home Depot, office supply, and home decorating stores within a mile of here, I knew I had previously purchased too many things to try to get organized or improve. I needed to get stuff out of here, not bring in any more possible panaceas. As we get to the end of the month, this might be a good time to mention that, besides normal “operating expenses” for household supplies, this deeply transformative home cure didn’t cost me much.

3/8 yard fabric to cover cedar chest. With coupon $5.25
    touchup paint (Behr sample at Home Depot) $2.97
    2 lampshades ($5.99 & 9.99)
    = $24.20
    + elbow grease + accountability & encouragement from these forums, priceless!

I could have broken even, getting $25 total for selling a few of the things I donated, but I just didn’t feel up to it, so I brought to a thrift shop for a charity I’d support anyway.

Sasjanep

January Home Cure

That is pretty impressive @Prof!

I dropped my outbox off at Oxfam today, and dont need to do anything with the living room light, and will do the rest of the cleaning tomorrow.

Then I will try to tackle the cords around the TV and DVD player.

djk

January Home Cure

Pretty much on top of The Cure, except still stuff to do in the kitchen (fridge defrosting hasn’t happened yet, haven’t bought jars yet for food storage, because I now found some others that will, after all, function more as canisters. They are square jars in a variety of sizes, wide mouth, with screw lids with a good seal. We’ll see.

Cords are beyond ugly to me, so they are always out of sight and bundled

Paper systems are under control, although I have one binder file for finances which I’m not over the moon about. It works for now, but I will have to rethink it at some point

Bedroom–just got a new bed a couple of weeks ago, so did a thorough clean/purge underneath at the time
    Still have to clean the mirrors and pull out the ladder to clean the high shelves
    Won’t clean the windows; I’ll wait until the weather cooperates a bit more first
    Went through my desk drawer and PEEP’d some things which had ended up there

January Home Cure

Have caught up a bit with cleaning this weekend. Will be going through cables later with DH (not sure what some of them are for, so if he doesn’t know either – they are out!). Gave the bedroom and bathroom a deep clean, including floors and cleaned the bedroom window somewhat. The main thing was getting the grime off the venetian blinds. Ugh. Both rooms now looking much nicer. Task-wise, I framed a photo and brought a flowering plant home so can tick those off the list.

January Home Cure

Hmm, only made a dent in the cable-sorting. DH wasn’t really in the mood for it (he isn’t a natural declutterer). Out of 2 deep boxes and a top shallow tray in a wheeled cabinet thing, we sorted only the top shallow tray.

Happily, this is the one I access daily so will at least improve my daily experience. From that sorting, we recycled several handuls of packaging and binned some random rubbish, added a camera bag, iphone cover and iphone sports case to the charity bag and liberated a small bag of redundant technology and cables for the recycling centre. I look forward to tackling the big boxes…

Meglet

January Home Cure

Weekend chores – Flowers, Living Room, and Outbox. Hmm.

Flowers – still no flowers, thanks to the cat. I keep meaning to bring some cat-safe plants home from the office but never quite get them here.

Living Room – I didn’t deep clean it, but I did pack up a whole bunch of it. I’ll call that progress.

Outbox – got most of it loaded in the car today, plan to drop it off on the way too or from work tomorrow. Added a bunch more to the “out” pile as I packed this weekend, too. 2 more boxes are still here, they’re going to a different place and I just don’t have enough space in the car right now to differentiate them properly.

January Home Cure

First of all, thank you for all your kind comments and encouragement. I’m very happy to say that I’ve finished this cure, and it has made a huge difference, both in transforming my living space and also helping me return to normal after a strange year (and a half) of illness, etc. It’s been a good journey together, especially on this thread, and I look forward to continuing on other fronts.

I’ve had a lovely relaxing day–hot bath & good story, cocoa, scented candles, social phone calls, reading, and a walk to the waterfront–and time to think about what’s next. I haven’t successfully completed a challenge and finished a tangible project in ages; I had just kept on missing goals while I was coping with a chronic illness and trying to get through a day and hoping for a cure. Now I’m improved enough to take care of myself and my stuff. It is amazing.

This week, I’ll return to the 15-minute zones for maintenance and for taking care of certain paper boxes I’d brought home from my campus office, but the bigger projects are done. The list of work to do this month is done, as are all areas covered in this cure. I read/worked through Unclutter Your Life in One Week, The Eight-Step Home Cure, and the 30-day Organize-athon. (And I just returned the organizing books to the library, so they are not clutter now!) I’m expecting a lampshade to be delivered this week, and I will be repotting and clipping some plants, but in my mind the cure itself is done. I’ve handled everything I own, and parted with more than I thought I could at first.

Since Thanksgiving, I have completely emptied out half of the front closet (the other half is vacuum, golf clubs, & such), a 4-shelf bookshelf unit, 5 drawers (one of which is now a half-way home for items to consider parting with next month). So that is more room for my roommate’s belongings . . . and maybe a catalyst for her to tidy up. And I have reclaimed my desk space for my real work, and fashioned a new reading nook & devotions space in the bed/desk unit.

This week will be a bit more intense work-wise, and I need to be caught up on that before I leave with some colleagues for a day-long colloquium out of town Friday. It will be lovely to come home to a nice “cured” home, and I’ll have one or two friends over for tea and readings on Saturday (Candlemas Day)–no further prep needed there.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

due to extreme weather, we lost all phone and internet and tv for almost two days.
    let me tell you, with two days and zero electronic diversions, we got a TREMENDOUS amount done here.
    window cleaning!
    complete laundry area overhaul!
    bathroom deep clean!
    living room deep clean!
    verandah deep clean!
    several things that were hanging about homeless have been permanently PEEPED at last and in fact, that now means that every single thing in this house is now PEEPED……four years, people. it has taken four years and a lot of renovation, but it is done.

additionally, i removed 3/4 of my clothes from my wardrobe and put them in a deep drawer.
    not quite project 333 but well on the way there.

after all the mad cleaning and PEEPing, i cooked like a crazy person, and we had a vegan champagne-y dinner party with good friends last night, which was a wonderful reward.

all i need right now is a bunch of flowers.

Ella

January Home Cure

Prof and bandicoot: If only I were in your vicinity, I would come and shower you both with flowers. Such glorious success!

bandicoot

January Home Cure

*makes a bow and preens and basks a little*
    thank you very much ella!

Nora

January Home Cure

Wow, bandicoot and Prof. – congratulations on your accomplishments!

Last week I didn’t get much done regarding the home cure. I didn’t feel well and decided that it wouldn’t matter if I finished the home cure a week later. So this week I will continue with the regular tasks and next week I’ll do the tasks of last week.
    And today’s catch up day comes in really handy to me :)

January Home Cure

Bandicoot: Amazing! Done! You make me think it it possible — to wake u one morning and it is DONE. I kiss the ground you walk on.

Prof: What an amazing transformation.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Wow, Bandicoot, that sounds fantastic! You definitely got on a roll there. And a lovely reward afterwards!

January Home Cure

hurrah, bandicoot. You’re an inspiration. Must be such a relief to have reached the goal. Do tell us, as you settle in to maintaining a fully PEEPed house–how much (I mean, little) time do you spend on routine cleaning & tidying?

And thank you, Ella.
    Virtual flowers all ’round.

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

AMAZING, @ProfClutter and @bandicoot!

You make me want to go home right now and clean/unclutter. I need this forum for the inspiration – cleaning and PEEP-ing and clutter maintenance can all seem SO DAUNTING sometimes. But it is possible.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

ProfClutter,
    Congrats on finishing the Cure, that must certainly feel good!

January Home Cure

yes, it’s nice. And it meant that today, when a colleague and I needed to collaborate on something, I could spontaneously invite her here for coffee and breakfast and worktime, and I didn’t have to do anything else to clean for company!

Because the day went differently than planned, though, I do need to spend a couple of hours more writing after dinner. But now this space is more conducive to deep work and deeper R&R. yay!

I washed off and “polished” the leaves of my three potted houseplants–one of those oddly satisfying tasks that I don’t often remember to do.

As for the hanging framed art assignment–you might remember our earlier discussion about my cluttered walls. So, instead of hanging, I donated four small frames I’d taken down a couple weeks ago. Also did computer maintenance and uncluttered browser tabs & recent periodicals today–should spend 15 more mins on ye olde paper piles, but otherwise on target.

Sky

January Home Cure

WOW, bandicoot, completely clean and peeped. VERY impressive.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

profclutter…i probably only spend five minutes in the morning and five minutes at night, tidying. if that. and that is the whole house. we don’t have much stuff and now that everything has a home, it is very easy to keep it tidy pretty much all the time. (i never thought i’d say that, but there it is).
    cleaning however….i like it fairly clean, so i possibly spend more time than someone else might. plus, i have a lot of food projects as a hobby, so i spend more time in the kitchen than a normal person might :)
    and kitchens require cleaning. maybe 90 to 120 mins a day including cooking and dishes?
    maybe i should time it. i have very unstructured and flexible time, so if i am absorbed in a task, i can just truck on with it for as long as i like.

so, today’s thing is to hang the framed picture from day six.
    my picture is here, i have bought hooks, and i have the builder booked.
    that is as far as i can move on that right now.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

today we have to spruce and tidy up:

“Today is where your hard work over the past weeks really starts paying off. You did some good deep cleaning and decluttering. room by room, so now you can do an overall “spruce up” to get things in shape without a huge outlay of time. The idea here is to keep moving, resist getting distracted or off track and just focus on speedily getting your surfaces clean and uncluttered.”

i read this in bed, and figured *immediately* was a good time to do this….it is getting so very hot, so early!
    i took fifteen minutes and everything is very tidy and quite a lot of it is very clean too.
    the floors need a vacuum, but don’t they always? that can wait until this evening.

January Home Cure

Your clutter-free space sounds excellent, bandicoot! and how pleasant to work in a fully cleaned and tidied kitchen.

Today started out with the toilet overflowing–plunger was insufficient, so we had to call in the experts. *then* I did quick surface cleaning of everything.

Tomorrow’s a busy day of appointments and meetings, then I’m out of town Friday for an all-day colloquium, so I’m glad I did what I did last week.

Should we be starting a new thread for a February Paper Cure (or something like that)?

paisley

January Home Cure

That sound you hear is me clapping for all the accomplishments, ProfClutter, bandicoot, and everyone else who did the cure. I really can’t quite imagine everything in my house PEEPed. It sounds terrific. Congratulations all around.

*Wanders off, shakes head, muttering, “everything PEEPed!”*

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

@ProfClutter – OMG, a February Paper Cure would be great! I could really use some ongoing support dealing with paper. I guess we could give each other challenges….

@paisley – you made me laugh with your last line there! I also cannot quite imagine everything in my house PEEPed. I used to think it was because I still had clutter, but I think I am actually just bad at PEEPing. Maybe someday….

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

Today’s task – Thurs 31st

‘Shop for your get-together.’

Think I shall have to carry on in February to do my unfinished tasks and then have a get-together then!

Meglet

January Home Cure

Cure complete! (Well, except I still have some more packing to do this weekend.)

Did the PEEP and surface clean yesterday, skipped the shopping today cause I’m not scheduling any get-togethers til after I move next weekend. Wow, next weekend.

Got keys to the new apartment today, too. :)

January Home Cure

yay for the new keys, Meglet!

Ella

January Home Cure

Fabulous, Meglet! We’ll all be showing up there for a housewarming… sur-PRISE!!

sleepykitten

January Home Cure

@Meglet – congrats on the new apartment! I’m so excited for you (and, yes, I want a housewarming invite).

bandicoot

January Home Cure

congratz meglet!
    a raging success!
    and a breather today for the curists, a time to enjoy the cured spaces.
    and i totally am.

Meglet

January Home Cure

Thanks all! I went into the new place with a tape measure and a camera last night, even though the new living room measures larger, it LOOKS smaller than my current place, plus the bedroom is about 2ft smaller. So today I’m having a minor panic attack about the loss of space. :D

I imagine there will be LOTS more stuff (including furniture!) showing up in the ATAD thread from me soon.

January Home Cure

Just got home from a full and busy day out of town. It is nice to come home to an uncluttered home, and I am savoring that. Still need to do the weekly vacuuming and cleaning and laundry tomorrow, but–ah!–it is calmer here.

January Home Cure

I am so glad I did the Cure, I ticked off a long list of things -some were part of the daily tasks and a few small things I put together as my main project of January. Rather randomly, these were-

Find lampshade for front room 
    Clear and reorganise shelf to left of fireplace 
    Clean mould off walls and ceiling in bedroom and bathroom
    Reorganise china on shelves and move the radio 
    Sort out a plastic drawers unit 
    Repurpose a wooden box containing clothes
    Deep clean in bathroom
    Move stuff around in 2nd bedroom and clean /air to discourage mildew 

The big task I ideally wanted to do in January was to sort out and reorganise understairs cupboard, but both DH and I wanted a free weekend to do that – and we have just finished, after 3 hours! Everything including the shelf units got taken out, and either cleaned and set to the side or immediately put for recycling/donation. We then reorganised it for daily use, and brought in the shoe rack, which has freed up a whole corner in the back room. DH made a short rail for us to hang our coats from with hangers. He has just gone to the recycling depot (it’ll only be 2 trips on his bike) and I am shortly to do a drop- off at the charity shop of donations and fabric recycling (they get money for rags). I will post the full list in ATAD. Such a big task, and I am so glad it got squeezed it in at the end of the Cure! We are rewarding ourselves with a trip to the Lido later (outdoor pool, brrr but with a hot tub next to it) and a meal out :-)

January Home Cure

hurrah, Secret Squirrel! Sounds like a very satisfying project to finish off!

January Home Cure

In honor of the traditional feast of Candlemas, I spent time today with my special candles lit, reflecting on visible light (and the inner light of the mind), and on the close of the extended Christmas/Epiphany season. I took down my last remaining garland and lights (hanging over a tapestry of the Madonna). I also managed to melt my saved candle-ends into four votive jars and cleaned my candlesticks.

Seemed like a natural ending to my January projects, and I’m transitioning to a new inner season of purging and pruning and before spring growth, if I may use that image. I haven’t posted February goals, but I’ll be thinking on that more tomorrow–February & March together as some sort of Lenten goals. (And returning to or revising some earlier goals, posted and unposted.)

Seems to me that Lent is a good season for uncluttering, and for remembering that our uncluttering processes are means to a better life, not ends in themselves. Any further thoughts I might have on that topic would probably be too personal for this forum, but I have a notebook started for such. For those of you who do observe Lent, this page I stumbled upon might be interesting: http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0108.asp
    I have other readings & assignments lined up, so I won’t be using it myself this year. I don’t usually post links, and I’m sorry if this tangent offends anyone.

Going forward, I have another (academic) forum for posting work-related goals, challenges, progress, etc, so that needn’t show up here any more. I do need to get back on board with unclutter fat thread here, though, as I don’t want to join a different forum for that.

bandicoot

January Home Cure

well done everyone.
    it sounds like everyone got plenty done on the cure, even if days were skipped here and there for various reasons.
    at least we have lists and ideas of what to get around to doing.
    cable clutter behind the tv is my post-tiling project. but i am really happy with all that gone done in january, and i know that without the cure prompts, i would have simply wittered about.

clutterbug22

January Home Cure

My potted hyacinths that I bought for the Cure’s ‘fresh flowers’ are starting to flower, they smell bootiful!!

jlw

January Home Cure

I’m back! My parents left today after a very nice visit. I was really happy to show them our “new” apartment (we moved in Sept., but they hadn’t seen it before). So, I have not been doing a bunch of the Cure things due to, well, visitors!

Here are the projects/small tasks I did accomplish:
    - Hang more stuff on living room walls
    - Tighten dining room table and chair screws
    - Table centerpiece (but the oranges are almost gone now)
    - replaced grill pan
    - made a place for glass bottle recycling
    - organized guest bathroom drawer and got vitamins off the counter

And here are the projects I definitely need to revisit:
    - frame and hang some art (necessary first step: find the art I mean to frame…)
    - Organize pantry (was listed under the kitchen project)
    - landing strip
    - cord management
    - paperwork (see Feb. Paper Cure!)

I’ve realized how important it is to spend time repairing things. I have a huge list of small items to sew or hand wash or glue or otherwise fix up and I didn’t even see how much they were bothering me. But if I care enough about the item to keep it, I should care enough to fix it (even if I hate sewing).

Mimi

January Home Cure

congratulations, everybody! it seems that the january cure was a great success!
    i skipped some more steps but i am confident with the results. it is amazing that sometimes a nail solves a problem that annoyed me twice a day. (i this special case, my keys didn´t have a place, now that a nail is their home i don´t need to look for them twice a day).

is anybody interested in repeating the cure, maybe in march? there are some more tasks on my list that could be done :)

bandicoot

January Home Cure

looks like i will be doing a small re-curing in a week or so.
    the upheaval in office and laundry is total, while the tilers are here again.
    stuff is festooned across the verandah and in pretty much every part of the house.
    it is in no way as chaotic as the first phase, but it has demolished my january cure.
    on the surface only….i know that everything will go back into place quickly and that there is nothing lurking in layers behind the messy facade.
    no dust this time, and i am truly grateful for that!

January Home Cure

oh, bandicoot! but it will look nice when it’s done. is this the final phase of tiling?

Mimi, Might be a good idea, and I’d follow that thread even if I didn’t do it myself.
    I could do some version of the cure again after I move. Not sure when we (my sis, and now my brother, and I) will find a place, but it has to be before Sept. Ideally before July. I’m not doing any more home improvements until then, just trying to keep clutter down and stick to cleaning/maintenance routines.

Sky

January Home Cure

bandicoot, we really need to see pictures of your new tile :)

bandicoot

January Home Cure

@prof, yes, this is the end of the tiling and the absolute end of any major renovations!
    we are installing skirting boards in the entire house in next week or so, but they will be a simple job, merely requiring a handful of bits of furniture to be slid out from walls.
    piece of cake.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.