Home Forums Welcome Hello! It's Official!

This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Allison Allison 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    mdfloyd

I have taken my first steps on the journey to becoming paperless!

I’ve scanned all my tax stuff for this year (of course, I’m keeping the paper copies because it’s the IRS), then I scanned some old documents related to my dental work and SHREDDED the originals!!!

Yea!

sleepykitten

It's Official!

Congrats, @mdfloyd! :)

(Now just make sure you have a good organizing system for the digital stuff….)

mdfloyd

It's Official!

Right now I’m scanning old personal letters and cards and filing them with the name and date. I know the naming system can get out of hand when I start doing more uniform things (business, financial, medical, etc.) so I’m not rushing into that. It’ll take me awhile to get all these old letters and cards scanned — occupational hazard of being a writer and having friends who are writers.

bandicoot

It's Official!

impressive!

i finally have learned how to use a scanner AND i have a scanner now…so things are slowly being scanned.
    still a long way from paperless, but certainly have a lot less.
    it’s all good.

It's Official!

For the past several years I’ve been working on whittling down the paper piles by scanning old uni notes. I’ve taken to letting Google take care of them in my Drive because they aren’t identity sensitive.

It's Official!

Wow, good work @mdfloyd!

chacha1

It's Official!

a-scanning we will go … :-) being able to save paperwork electronically (i.e. taking up no physical space, dust-free, editable) is SO COOL.

It's Official!

Congrats MDFloyd!

Last year I bought a scansnap and have not regretted it at all. I scan/shred incoming paperwork and am working through paper archives. I find it too tiresome to do a lot of scanning, renaming, digital filing, shredding etc etc at one time, but I am making progress.

Good luck with your project!

Jude2004

It's Official!

I’m scanning and renaming 100 items a day using my Scansnap. After I scan them, I back them up using their nifty feature, to one of my Google docs accounts, and they’re all searchable PDFs. Today I found that my grandfather kept receipts from the company store in Uravan, Colorado. The entire town was removed from our planet because it was a superfund cleanup site, so the museum I donate these to should be happy to have them. Why did Grandpa keep them so long? Who knows. But without this massive scanning project, I never would have found them. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0nmQiJFP8nKRzJkNXo4clNMZDA/edit?usp=sharing

Allison

It's Official!

I have a scanner and I’ve only ever used it to make copies of paper to create more paper! YAY ME! But really, I think what you’re doing is admirable! I recently went through a ton of paperwork myself, and I took the abandoned paper shredder out of it’s box and went to work. Umm, wow…I never realized how loud those things are. Anyway, three or four bags later I’m down to ONE bag. Okay, okay, and a bunch of my childhood schoolwork and crap. I’m now looking at it, thinking I need to trim the fat and cut it down to half =)

chacha1

It's Official!

Just last night I finished typing up the “highlights logs” from seven years’ worth of datebooks. The datebooks are now in the trash or shredder, depending on how much personal information they also contained. Doing that opened up a whole section of my drop-front secretary desk for other things … now I have NOTHING sitting out in the open, in the home office.

Also last night I pulled from the tax-prep box the online statements I’d printed for my primary credit card. After downloading an annual summary, I didn’t need all of those.

This type of task isn’t *quite* the same as scanning, but has a similar result – less paper, more easily organized.

sleepykitten

It's Official!

@chacha – That is a major accomplishment! Must feel great. :)

@Allison – Welcome! (I saw you posted a couple times and I think you might be new…if you aren’t new, then I’m sorry for being a dope.)

chacha1

It's Official!

@sk, what’s nice is that going through them reminded me of all the cool stuff we’ve done that I’d practically forgotten about. :-)

Puss

It's Official!

My scanner is a flat bed one and is so slow so I just scan odd things.

Chacha1 – typing up your date books sounds interesting. I have appointment diaries which I think are the same thing spanning over ten years so am wondering about doing the same with these but then again I do like to look back at my handwritten appointment diaries and things I’ve noted down. Have you found it easier to type them up?

Allison

It's Official!

Hi Kitten ~ Yes I’m new and thank you so much! I literally just found this site and forum days ago after doing a search for minimalist blogs, which I’ve also just discovered. People actually live, without, STUFF! *Gasps* Who knew there was an entire clutter free world out there? =)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.