Home Forums Welcome Hello! Introducing WWIT – What Was I Thinking??!?

This topic contains 72 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chacha1 chacha1 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of candy
    candy

When going through my stuff, I am quite often faced with the question “what was I thinking?”. It is not a question of a fantasy self, because with a fantasy self it is quite easy to figure out what I was thinking even if it was completely crazy. It’s just a matter of… well, I’ll give you an example.

I’m not particularly fond of tinned tuna. But somehow I bought 3 small tins of tuna, thinking that I would make tuna salad or something like that.

A couple of weeks ago I had second thoughts, I really did not want to eat that tuna. But I tried to find recipes that would make me want to eat it anyway, because it would be horribly wasteful to just throw it away.

I ended up with the idea – again – of tuna salad. Rice or pasta based, with… oh, corn! Corn is probably nice in a tuna salad. So I bought 3 small tins of corn.

I don’t even particularly like corn.

I now have 3 tins of tuna and 3 tins of corn in my pantry. I still don’t know what to do with it.

WWIT.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Introducing WWIT – What Was I Thinking??!?

My pride and joy for this thread is my still unwashed delicate laundry. I simply can’t stand washing by hand and so it ends up floating in the basket for months and, hrm, years. Some of you might remember my story a while ago where I fessed up after having found a bag of unwashed stuff since before I met my husband. I don’t know what is wrong with me, but even now I’m postponing washing the last items. Needless to say one of the tops in there should be washed since my family and I are going to the 90-year celebration of the national ballet and opera tomorrow, but i am too tired to do it before going to bed, I keep telling myself, yet then I don’t have anything to wear so go figure. The epitome of an organized home, right…

Profile photo of behejo
    behejo

Hi candy, that’s really weird. My WWIT territory is clothes and all sorts of make up.

Sometimes I buy clothes that I then don’t dare to wear because of a too bright color or shiny accessories or an unusual cut. Concerning make up I tend to buy eye-catching eye shadow or (mentioned in some other thread) peculiar lipstick colors or creams for very special purposes (breast firming gel, anti-fat gel, rough-handled feet cream,….). For the latter I don’t take my time so the products just grow old or I apply them like crazy for one week and then never again. The funny clothes and make up I just don’t use at all as I don’t like to be drawn into the limelight or that people think that a woman with some overweight looks a bit funny in too modern/hip clothes. I am not really a shy person, but I want to blend into the crowd.

So seeing some clothes in my closet or products in my bathroom cabinet I just go WWIT?! Again, I might add!

@candy, those tins are great items for a food bank! Maybe that’s what you were thinking!

Profile photo of candy
    candy

Ah, Ruth – maybe! But I don’t know if there is such a thing as a food bank here in Stockholm. Will investigate.Thanks!

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

Although I’m a recovering shopaholic now, back in 2001 I discovered eBay Wonderland and went on a wild bidding and buying rampage. The WWIT moment finally came when I bid on and won a pair of sterling grape shears in the frenzy of a bidding war of shocking proportions. I’ve since tried reselling them on eBay, but evidently no one is as crazy as I once was. So I keep them and use them with a rueful sigh. They are beautiful, but WWIT???

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Another good one is the amount of stuff moved time and time again without any heureka moment appearing. Costly and tough, at least I see more clearly now. But to admit to what I schlepped home from Denmark two years ago is mind-boggling. It is almost as if I can’t forgive myself for having been that blind.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

My what was I thinking area is–or was, mostly–plastic and glass food storage containers and actually all sorts of little boxes, believe it or not. I got over the books and moved to a box fetish. Hmm.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

I moved a carton (another box!) of boxes to several residences and only pared them down upon my most recent move where there is no space to store them all.I don’tneed them, miss them. WWIT???

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

A box of boxes? Well, boxes can be very appealing!

I have a small stockpile of empty boxes myself for shipping things from my etsy store, but it’s a VERY small stockpile since I have a VERY small store of mostly VERY small things. :-)

WWIT … I don’t think I really have this issue as an ongoing thing. There are several areas of life that have been uncluttered over the past few years but as I was uncluttering I was never really questioning why I had the stuff.

The one thing I’ve tripped over recently was the Trousers of Doom. The black pants I got thinking I should have some more proper, businesslike pants but that I just don’t like enough to wear regularly.

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

i go to bali regularly.
    the first time i went there was 17 years ago.
    i was young and i had very little money and bali was a cornucopia of beautiful handcrafted goodies to be had for next to nothing.
    it was a Very Bad Combo.
    i bought far too much stuff over the next fifteen years….too much to list…..and ended up pretty much giving it all away.
    my last three of four trips there have been models of restraint however….i arrive and depart with the same carry-on bag, with perhaps a handful of vanilla beans.

now, i have fifteen handwoven thai silk lengths in glorious colours, and no clue what to do with them.
    too much “back” on them to be scarves.
    we use latex pillows as cushions. with pillow cases so that i can merrily launder off the cat hair.
    maybe an insanely luxurious throw?

Bandicoot – if they match your rooms at all – they’d make great swags for your curtains. Also handwoven thai silk – that’s beautiful clothing territory. Also – have you thought about an insanely gorgeous patchwork to hang on the wall, or use as a decorative rug on your bed or sofa?

WWIT. To be honest, that’s my career choice. And I think the problem is that I have never come up with a reasonable alternative, and it’s a duty and declutter thing.

I’m doing a job that does not stimulate me (it’s fairly boring except for maybe 1% of the time when unreasonable expectations cause everything to be overtime), that I have little to no respect for – financial industry who are pretty much the scum of the earth. It stresses and depresses me, has accelerated problems with my health and I earn less now than I did 10 years ago. (That’s the IT industry for you).

I just wish that I had run screaming from the job interview 30 years ago rather than take it because they wanted me.

I did computing because my career counsellor thought it would be a good idea TM. I wanted to be a maths teacher, but that ship has sailed.

Now I’m 50 (in May) and not a clue of what I want to do for the next 15-20 working years, that will not leave me a wrecked shell of a person.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Celeb–I have had career angst all of my working life, although right now I’m doing something I love but pays so poorly that it’s becoming incompatible with my goals. I’m tossing around ideas right now for myself.

Is there any way to segue your hobbies or interests into a sideline career which could eventually become lucrative enough to live on? Some years ago I read Barbara Sher and Julie Cameron and both writers gave me new insight into my situation at the time. Even though I was working full-time I took a training course out of interest. It was geared to the unemployed but I also drew a lot of inspiration and a new perspective from it.

Profile photo of irishbell
    irishbell

Bandicoot- my first thought was some sort of wall hanging also, would be gorge!!
    Or possibly a table runner.
    One thing I’m looking forward to getting from my dads condo when it sells is a
    beautiful glass covered shadowbox with a crazy quilt folded up inside it.
    I don’t remember who made it, but it is the most fab silk piecings of fabric, with what looks like
    fancy embroidery floss sewing all the pieces together.
    Since you have whole large pieces, maybe a shadow box type frame where you could occassionally
    switch out pieces (folded to size) according to your fancy, might be an idea.

Profile photo of candy
    candy

@ninakk: I’m not very fond of hand-washing clothes either, but I’ve adopted a modified version of the system I read about somewhere, I think it was on this forum in a thread dealing with bras/underwear. I simply put the thing that needs to be washed in a basin of some sort, with cold or lukewarm water and some liquid detergent for delicate laundry, and let it lie there for an hour or so (a bit depending on what it is). Then I rinse and hang/lay out to dry. The original poster used a detergent that didn’t even need to be rinsed out but of course it is not available here in Sweden.

djk – I don’t know. I’m floundering around at the moment looking for direction.

I’ve spent the last 5 years ‘on-hold’ life-wise, because of life decisions, and mum dying, so there’s still some work to do to find out just what those aspirations and interests are. And how I can do it within the limitations of my health.

I’m definitely over the whole office 9-6 world though. The contract I’m working on (finishes next Friday) is the best compromise I’ve got so far (I work from home). Things will have to change.

Oh Noes!!! I’ve killed the thread!!!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

Hey! *I’m* supposed to be the thread killer around here. :-D

I have a WWIT: A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of pork tenderloins because they were on sale. I keep forgetting that I don’t particularly _like_ pork all that much, sale or no sale.

I cooked ‘em up, ate some, froze some of the cooked stuff for lunch… And then kept finding excuses not to use them for lunch. Brought a serving to work yesterday, and tried to salvage it with some cheap barbecue sauce (something else that’s a WWIT for me). Tossed out half of it, uneaten. If I think of it, next time I’m at the freezer I’ll garbage the rest of it.

Profile photo of mskris
    mskris

celeb: I can sympathize with your work dilemma. I just gave notice at my current job because I’ve been really miserable, but the new job is a pretty big paycut (which may be offset by my dh getting a job). I’m still doing the same type of work (medical regulatory writing for the pharmaceutical industry), and it’s okay, but I keep thinking of a major career change – to what I’m not sure. I’m about the same age as you, too.

I did start a Master’s program in another area of the pharmaceutical industry, so maybe that will help me branch out a bit – my bachelor’s is in English, which is limiting. I should finish my MS in a little over 2 yrs. Then I guess I’ll see if I want to use it! LOL.

My WWIT is nail polish. I have not worn polish on my fingernails since the 1980’s. The practice was time consuming, high maintenence and made my nails split and break.

However, I got one pedicure, in 2007 when I was getting married. For that they used the salon’s polish. After that, I wanted to have pretty toes but never kept up with it. It makes no sense, because I never wear strappy shoes. Orthodics all the way for me! How did I end up with eight colors of polish, slowly solidifying in the drawer?

irishbell

Anotherdeb- I enjoy having my nails painted.
    Usually clear or light pink on fingernails
    And a darker rosey pink or red on toenails.
    I certainly don’t wear stewpot shoes in the winter, but I loves having pretty nails.
    If you think 8 is too much- you should see my 2 dd’s polish container.
    I actually just went through it a few days ago and tossed 5 or 6 that were past their prime.
    They still have easily 25 left! We love pretty colors round here!

Profile photo of shebolt
    shebolt

As for unwashed delicates – here’s my trick. I never, ever, handwash anything. Even things that are supposed to be handwashed. I bought some delicate bags, and anything handwash only goes into those bags and into the washer on the delicate cycle. I’ve never ruined a single item this way.

My WWIT item is beauty products. I keep buying eyeshadow and lip gloss or lipstick, when I don’t wear eyeshadow or anything other than lip balm. I finally figured this out and stopped buying both of these items, but I still have a lot kicking around my bathroom.

I also keep getting sucked into anti-aging creams, moisturizing sunscreens, and facials masks. I get them home and then realize I have several nearly identical products in my cabinets. I finally started using a couple of them every day and am forcing myself not to buy more. I haven’t noticed a difference in my skin even though I’ve been using a wrinkle cream daily for several months now. Hmmm. It really is just a gimmick, isn’t it? I do notice a difference with the deep cleaning masks, but I have so many of them. I need to toss the oldest ones and use up the rest.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My WWIT at the moment is fabric. I went to a fabric flea market last summer, and everything was so cheap that I couldn’t help myself (bad, I know). Now I have to figure out what was in my head when I bought 3-4 meters of black stretch lace with sparkly flowers on it (seriously. WWIT?!). Or a stretchy blue-greenish metallic shiny fabric that I don’t even know the name of (I think I had dance costumes in mind with that one. Not that I’ve ever made one.). Or a white knit with a black paisley print (ok, I made an infinity scarf out of part of if, but now what to do with the 2 meters I have left over?!).

In fact, I should be banned from buying any hobby supplies without a clear project in mind.

Profile photo of snosie
    snosie

Candy – you made me laugh (almost splutter you tea style!) I use the can bank over Christmas (when it’s summer here) and they get all the soup that lay untouched. Might be a solution (try churches)

Nina – I take my delicates into the shower, seems to be a good balance (I’m warm, and my hands are as icky soapy cause I was rinse well in the shower). Gets it done, which is most important! Shebolt offers some great advice, which I’m willing to try from my bras.

Kiri – please retrain to be a teacher – it’s not to late, it’s my dad’s ‘next’ career after banking (he’s done a one year course when he was made redundant). It feels bad that you have a job you hate. You’re not a thread killer, I just didn’t notice it, and it’s alive now!

Another Deb – me too, I hate my fingers smoothered and unbreathing under polish, so have decluttered all polish, although I did take one bottle of mum’s, with some remover and some cottons, and would you believe it, I got nailpolish on my blanket! Seldom use the stuff and then that happens!!

I can’t think of WWIT items… I have some cushion covers, which are thai, and now there’s such an influx of that in Aust, it feels tacky, but I had a plan, which could still work (pair with navy sofa, arriving in 6 weeks), and then.. well if they don’t, they’ll be freecycled.

Otherwise, I feel like the grinch that stole shopping joy! I really do look at everything and see it’s future as clutters/dirty/broken/hard to store. Oh the sadness

Profile photo of liag
    liag

celeb: I agree with snosie. I taught for over 31 years and found it the most wonderful life. I would never trade those years for any high paying job in or out of an office.It is somehting to be considered. Good luck to you. Remember that it is never too late to change directions. It makes us grow and be more valuable.

irishbell

stewpot shoes, was autocorrected from strappy shoes. sheesh.
    I really must proofread when posting from iPhone.

Profile photo of snosie
    snosie

Hahaha Irishbell, I thought you meant closed in shoes, that make your feet sweaty, but it didn’t match the context! Too funny!

I third the call to think about teaching, celebkiriedhel. Such a great profession.

My WWIT is some greeny blue viscose fabric from Italy. I thought it would breathe well and would make a nice cool dress to see me through until the end of Summer. But it is greeny blue and that never works for me. What a waste of time, fabric and materials.

irishbell

Snosie: lol, between this and rabbit rabbit, I really better watch what I type or they’ll be coming to take me away anytime now.
    Stewpot- honestly, I guess I can see the closeness of letters to strappy, but ….. stewpot?

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

I own several pairs of stewpot shoes, no strappy ones though :)
    Found durin my larder clearout: 2 tins of crab meat. WWIT? Now I’ll have to find something to do with them…

Profile photo of pkilmain
    pkilmain

Lottie, think yummy crabcakes, or crab salad, or even crab chowder, i love crab.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Mmmmm crab! I second all pkilmain’s suggestions, plus one: boyfriend makes a yummy fried rice with crab meat, misc. veggies (carrots, zucchini, corn, peas, broccoli… whatever’s on hand, really), scrambled egg and a bunch of spices. Crab is good :)

lottielot

I’m sure it is, but dh won’t eat it, nor the kids! Found an easy meal for myself: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364638/spaghetti-with-crab-cherry-tomatoes-and-basil
    Ok, that’s tomorrow’s dinner sorted, dh is back to his takeaway curry on Fridays :)

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

am i the only one who thinks beyond objects/purchases here?

irishbell

Oh no, I like to figure out what’s going with what, so I don’t have to make another trip to the store later!
    But sometimes I might think- Mmmmm that looks delicious, I could concoct something wonderful with it.

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

WWIT? I know I can’t bake. I mean I REALLY can’t bake. I can cook anything- you could give me a sweat sock and with a few ingredients I could make into a fine soup and maybe even get a side dish out of it…. But even with clear, concise directions I managed to screw up…. get this… a berry cobbler! The most fool-proof dessert in the world!

It’s a sign. Luxcat should not bake. Some things are best left to others. I’m sure I will forget this in about 7 years and try to make a cake or something.

lottielot

Luxcat: I’m rubbish at baking too :) Unfortunately it comes with the job description of motherhood, plus I actually quite like eating the results even if they’re ugly. Nowadays though I unclutter baking mostly by giving the school PTA a few quid, thereby saving myself the chore of making cakes, bringing them to school and having to buy them myself when they’re the last ones left on the stall…Ds2 likes my baking efforts though, I always try to make things healthier by adding fruit or nuts etc, both of which he likes.
    Perhaps your cobbler recipe was a dud? Or your flour was old? I’ve made quite a few cobblers and some if them have been fine and some too stodgy.

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

nope, I have no excuse lottielot ‘cept probably poor patience and no practice.

the flour was fresh, I had to run to the store in the middle of it all when I discovered my flour had little beasties in it. Ick! new flour is now safely in freezer.

luxcat: have you checked the temperature of your oven? Baking is much less forgiving than other forms of cooking. But the good thing is — YOU DON’T HAVE TO. That’s why god created bakeries. What WERE you thinking ? {grin}

Profile photo of snosie
    snosie

Oh I love to bake, but I second the oven thing! I check everything at least 10 mins prior to the planned cook time, and alas some things come out dry. I’m such a sweet tooth, I think that’s why I bake, and I’m very stringent on myself about buying ready made snacks…

@luxcat — I am not a baker! BUT I have figured out how to make “dump cakes” and one version is a “dump cobbler”. It is ugly and delicious — fresh or frozen berries in a 13×9 pan, dump a yellow cake mix over it. then dump about a cup of liquid. You’re supposed to use a whole lot of melted butter, I usually substitute some milk or buttermilk for half the liquid. Pour over top. Bake. Serve with ice cream. People will ooh and ahh.

I am like many of you, I bet — I like to cook because it is more art than science. I don’t like to bake as it is too much science and not enough art. I need forgiveness.

Profile photo of candy
    candy

I love cooking. I never bake.

Ruth, you are forgiven. :)

Profile photo of liag
    liag

Me too. I wonder if there is a relationship between being an unclutterer and disliking baking.Messy flour sifting? lol. When we downsized to a condo 3+ years ago, I declared no baking things would accompany me. I do, since retiring, cook quite a bit and from scratch more than ever. We have excellent bakeries here, plus it isn’t that healthful to scarf down baked goods. I can rationalize anything!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

I’m the opposite! Love baking, find cooking too out of control and random. Baking isn’t messy normally, or should I say if you really do a ton of it you learn how to do it tidily. Absolute mise en place, and then practise. When I was in Grade 1 I was 5, and I was assigned Wednesday as my day to bake. I made one of the same two cookie recipes every week! My mother baked up to a dozen loaves of bread daily (yes, 12 loaves a day) for breakfast toast and lunches and afterschool snacks. When I was given my day to bake at age 5, there were 6 girls still at home and we each had one day of the week to bake.

And I don’t eat carbs anymore. It’s a shame–I’m really out of practise.

irishbell

I like to bake (not love), as it is too exact and precise for me.
    I need a little leeway also with directions! For me, cooking is much more
    forgiving than baking! However, I love, love, love baked goods!
    12 loaves of bread a day! Holy smokes!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

I like to bake, too. I tend to do it it marathon sessions, though, baking 5 different kinds of cookies at a time and then nothing for a couple of months.

I’ve also rediscovered my Inner Candymaker (used to make candy all the time in my pre-teen years) and have finally figured out the secret of perfect fudge: A little bit of corn syrup (1/4 cup is lots), and be sure to add enough liquid. It has to boil for about 5-6 minutes on medium heat to get to the right temperature (soft ball stage). If the sugar mixture’s too thick it’ll stick and burn, and if you stir too much it’ll be grainy rather than creamy.

Profile photo of Northshore
    Northshore
    Participant

I love to bake bread–it’s a great combination of creativity and science. Cookies and cakes require children or coworkers to eat them so I’ve been avoiding them since I retired. But cooking, especially making a good dinner from whatever is in the fridge, was the most fun with my always-appreciative DH. I’ll probably never have an uncluttered pantry because I love creating something good at the spur of the momment. My current WWIT is store bread–the tasteless loaf is in the freezer, getting stale. Maybe bread crumbs or French toast?

lottielot

Northshore: much of our tasteless sliced loaves end up as baked bean toasted sandwiches. Quick and easy dinner for my kids, and makes the bread taste good! Also, it is good for cinnamon toast: grill one side till it’s brown, spread butter over the other side, sprinkle with cinnamon and dark brown sugar, grill till the sugar melts and cut into squares. Yummy! We eat it on really cold, wet miserable days, we call it ‘cinnamon toast weather’! Or cheese on toast: also good with tasteless bread, preferably with a dash of worcestershire sauce and chopped spring onions. Or make skinny toasts to have with pate or smoked salmon: toast the bread, cut off the crusts and slice down the middle so you have 2 very skinny bits of toast, pop under the grill to crisp up the other side.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

Yes. lottielot: cinnamon toast. And chai tea with milk. Gotta go eat.

lottielot

I’m going to make an apple and blackcurrant cobbler tonight, still have more eggs to use up :)
    It’s a funny thing about baking: I used to be a chemist so am very good at measuring accurately and following instructions to a T. However, I’m not very keen on most cakes so perhaps that’s why I’m a rubbish baker? I don’t like chocolate cake or puddings, think life is too short to make sponges or faff about with icing. I like cakes with spices, fruit, stuff like that. But nobody else in the family likes these sort of cakes, so I end up giving it away or scoffing it all myself! I’ll stick to the odd batch of muffins, the occasional pudding and the odd scone :)

lottielot

Ps, liag, hope you enjoyed your cinnamon toast! It’s scrumptious!

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

I’m with irishbell, I think it’s the exactness of it that intimidates me:) Also, I don’t like sweets as much as I like savoury things, so I’m more motivated to cook than bake.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

I go for savouries as well. Perhaps that’s it. There are exceptions though, such as…cinnamon toast. I do find making popovers fascinating–the way they turn out almost with a ceramic glazed look on theoutside and soft on the inside. I don’t consider it baking, though, unless in takes yeast or a rolling pin at least. Besides, there isn’t much choice about cooking, but baking can be optional.

Profile photo of snosie
    snosie

I don’t like cooking that ends in cuts and a blister/burn! Not a good night last night!! Tasty dinner though (the culprit to the injuries), plus a NIgella cake and brownies – for a colleagues b’day. Am seeking the BEST brownie recipe, which is not aided by my overheating oven. I think a oven thermometer might need to be invested in!

Oh I wish for cinnamon toast chased by cheese on toast now! Such great weekend food.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

What was I thinking? Yesterday while I was plucking my eyebrows, my sweet little kitty was purring and winding around my ankles and nuzzling my toes. So I lifted her up for a cuddle and a peek in the magnifying mirror. She completely freaked out and exploded from my arms leaving me in bloody shreds. Deep puncture wounds on hands and arms, a slash across my breast, and a nice hole in my best camisole.

@ Ella, I am laughing so hard at the image of your cat freaking out at it’s magnified image! You went through the blender on that move, eh?

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

much to my pleasure I either got the world’s most polite guests or the cobbler was edible, as it went over fine on superbowl sunday.

Ella, I’m not a cat person, but my best friend is- treat those scratches m’dear- she got blood poisoning once and it was dreadful

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

@Ella: I’m seconding luxcat, as an acquaintance of mine contracted bartonellosis from deep scratches and it can be months before one’s completely well again; please go to the doctor and get them checked?

pkilmain

I’ll thirsd that suggestion. My step-dad had a nasty months-long infection from a cat bite, and my DH got blood poisoning from a scratch he got teasing the cat with a vacuum cleaner.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

All right, I’ll go see the doctor’s nurse during her drop-in hours tomorrow. I did squeeze and squeeze blood out under warm running water, then swab with alcohol (ow-cohol), dab with antibiotic cream, and apply whimsical bandaids. I’m gaily decorated with Muppets, Daffy Duck, assorted Disney princesses, and Barbie, all to lighten my humor so I wouldn’t have the urge to strangle aforementioned little kitty.

Profile photo of NYCPakRat
    NYCPakRat

Cat Scratch Fever is a real condition (not just a kick-ass song). Be careful!

Profile photo of grey
    grey

ouch, ella! i’ve had that happen before and it’s so painful – first the scratches and then the antiseptic. hoping you heal quickly without complication!

Profile photo of jlw
    jlw

Peered into the bathroom cabinet yesterday and went “What was I thinking?” when I saw how many extras of toothpaste, lotion, shampoo, etc. I have stashed. I think I wanted to buy them when they were on sale, which is good and all, but I went overboard. Especially with toothpaste… I blame Costco for that one. It will all get used eventually, but I need to stop buying things unless I’m truly out of them.

Also, boxes. Empty boxes. Why do I have so many of them? I’m still trying to get to the bottom of the Closet of Doom and I keep finding more and more shoeboxes and other small boxes. I find it hard to get rid of them right away though, because I feel I might need them to finish organizing the things I want to keep in there. Perhaps that is silly. At the very least I’ve made a rule that any box that isn’t in perfect condition goes out immediately.

pkilmain

jlw – if you have that many unopened toiletries, you might want to consider donating some to a women’s shelter. The ones around here are always grateful to receive that kind of stuff.

Profile photo of jlw
    jlw

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I have done that before. I will have to take another look and see what I can realistically use.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

jlw: I wrote some time back about the box thing, only my haorded boxes were not shoe ones: wooden, plastic (tsk), ceramic–just little-ish boxes. I like them! I did declutter all unused ones except for a teeny blue one I will find a use for because it’s so cute. Maybe our boxes represent the urge to pack it all up. Preschools and kgs often use shoeboxes in cubbies. You might check.

Profile photo of candy
    candy

Going grocery shopping on a Sunday afternoon. WWIT? Apparently the same thing as just about everyone else in this town. Gah.

Oh well, I found everything I was looking for, including the San Marzano canned tomatoes, yay! They will probably be uncluttered rather quickly into a simple tomato sauce with pasta. And I don’t need to do any more grocery shopping this week, apart from perhaps some fresh vegetables.

Profile photo of mskris
    mskris

I just have to post this: yesterday my 13-yo daughter told me she “likes” a boy. We got discussing (which we often do) and I told her that there will probably be boys in her life about whom she will say later, “WWIT?” That reminded me of this thread! LOL. Yes, I’ve had a few of those relationships – thank goodness I uncluttered them relatively quickly – WWIT when I dated those guys??!

lottielot

Lol, mskris! I had one boyfriend like that, I thought he was shy but he turned out to be unbelievably DULL! I recently got back in contact with him and was thinking WWIT!

Profile photo of poodle
    poodle

@jlw: You can always keep some of the boxes that you don’t donate and use them to wrap odd-shapped presents, or something that won’t work in a bag. I keep a few on hand around Christmas time for that purpose. So that you won’t keep too much clutter, try to box them inside each other if they’re different sizes.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@mskris – lol, I had a similar WWIT moment with a friend a couple of weeks ago. We were both reminiscing about some of the boys of the past and wondering how long of a vacation our common sense had been on.

@Ella – I’m late to the party, but just wanted to wish you a prompt recovery! Painful kitty freakouts are commonplace at our house. Always fun to have a warm purring cat on your chest get suddenly freaked out by a noise/gust of wind/reflection of car headlights in the window/imperceptible change in atmospheric pressure and use your lungs as a springboard while clawing everything in her path. We now make sure to trim their nails regularly, and the breastplates are on back order.

jlw – use the boxes to pack up excess toiletries in ‘hampers’ (i.e. not one type of thing only in one box) to give to disaster relief organisations / shelters.

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

The black pants I hate? I am wearing them today FOR THE LAST TIME. WWIT.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.