Home Forums Living Spaces Sentimental Clutter Have you saved your high school or college yearbook?

This topic contains 54 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of themusiclivez themusiclivez 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    pammyfay

My eyes happened to spot my high school yearbook on a shelf in my basement (where there are other books and VHS tapes (hey–don’t mock me! They still play fine!).

Why am I keeping it, I asked myself. High school was where I first got a taste of my career, but other than that, I’m probably like half the population: High school was no spectacular time for me. I’m not in therapy because of some horrid experience there, but those are difficult years for many people.

I think I can count on one hand how many times I’ve flipped through the book. I have my parents’ yearbooks (but in addition to their photos in them, they have a beautiful art deco look, as was the style many, many, many years ago), but I can’t really think of why I’m keeping my own yearbook. Not like I have children, who MIGHT want to flip through it once or twice before putting it on their own shelf in the basement. I suppose I could e-mail my home town’s library and see if it wants it; journalists are always looking for the graduation mugshots of the latest person arrested for trying to smoke a cigarette in an airplane restroom.

Do you still have yours? Why? Or why not?

trillie

Have you saved your high school or college yearbook?

There was a post on Unclutterer.com a while ago, here: http://unclutterer.com/2008/10/06/yearbooks-worth-keeping-or-clutter/ and there are quite a few interesting comments on the whys and hows of keeping yearbooks.

Where I went to school in Germany, there aren’t regular yearbooks, but yearbook-style magazines made by the graduating grade every year (so the contents are mostly their pictures, their fun field trips, their teachers’ freudian slips). So needless to say, I only kept our year’s magazine. I never look at it, but I keep it because I think my future kids might like to look and giggle at it, after all it features my cool 90′s hairstyle ;o)

chacha1

I never bought the yearbooks; high school was something to be endured. I do have scrapbooks, which are on this year’s to-do list: am planning to go through, select only the most meaningful bits (there will be few, I’m sure), scan them, and make a book on Blurb. Then have a bonfire with the scrapbooks and my painful, idiotic adolescent journals.

I don’t have kids either, so there is no one following behind me who would have the remotest interest in this rubbish.

JuliaJayne

I’ve been thinking about yearbooks recently. I have looked up a few people over the years; it was a convenience. If I should ever want to do that again the libraries keep year books in the reference section.

jsights

A few years ago my mom gave me my gradeschool and high school yearbooks to take. I’ve had them stored in a closet ever since then, and I think I’ve flipped through them once. I just gave them back to my mom to do whatever she wants to do with them. I don’t have room to store them in my new place, and I agree, high school was something to be endured. it wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t great either. The good memories, I don’t need a yearbook for.

Jen

djk

I have mine still (I only bought one in Grade 12) and when it was time for our 20 year reunion one of my digitally-inclined former classmates scanned the whole thing and put it online et voila! I guess I can toss it. Liberating thought!

After graduating high school (10 years ago) and once I was in college (and happy) I decided to toss all of my yearbooks except for two. I tossed all six of the others (my parents had always warned me that it was a waste of money and they weren’t kidding!)

Looking back, I don’t regret getting rid of them. I love the Elementary School yearbook because that was a really good time for me. The Senior Yearbook was signed by some of my best friends and I love having those memories. I really wish that I didn’t waste my money on the college yearbook, however. I don’t have any interest in that one at all!

RJ

I have my junior high and high school yearbooks. Even though the times were not great for me, I kept them, along with the tassels from graduations.

I found a mobile file box for these items, and they all fit perfectly into this box. (Measure the stack of yearbooks before you go shopping so you know they’d fit.) This is the one I have: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/656096/Office-Depot-Large-Mobile-File-Box/?cm_cat=2000000351

Along with the yearbooks, I was able to include all elementary school class photos, certificates I received for sports, and other things.

The tassels are stored in the lid’s storage, with pins and other awards I received, along with Girl Scout badges. There is a handle, so you can grab this quickly in case of emergency.

This box takes up such small space in a spare closet that it was worth keeping these items.

Sky

I tossed mine this year when I went through my childhood box of stuff. I kept my teddy bear, stuffed cat and a couple other things. The rest went in the trash. I don’t miss any of it.

ArtGal

I have mine. Hubby and I are high school sweethearts and I did the artwork for it…too sentimental for me to toss and we do get it out once a year on our anniversary and have a good laugh! :) A REALLY GOOD LAUGH!

chiwi

i used to have 3 middle school & all 4 high school. middle school was hell so i trashed them but kept the page with the teacher photos. as for high school i trashed all except the senior book. somehow i can’t part with it and i don’t know why. i had no friends, didn’t participate in anything, never talked to anyone. as far as i know nobody knew my name. i was happiest hanging out by myself in the library on the internet yet i still keep the book LOL.

chacha1

Here’s an uncluttering grudge I’ve been holding for a long time … I have all this high-school paraphernalia that I really couldn’t care less about, but my elementary-school scrapbook, which I WOULD have liked to have, got tossed by dear Mom after I moved out for collect. Along with my adored Steiff lion. Thanks Mom!!

ArtGal: LOL The pictures of *my* high-school sweethearts just make me gag!

paperdog

I still have all 4 high school yearbooks. I went to a very small school so, consequently, small yearbooks. I know/knew everyone in them and the personal messages are priceless. Besides, I was editor, so they are my “babies.”
    The college ones, however, I tossed a couple of years ago. They were huge (but did make very good large weights and we used them several times for that purpose) I did cut out the pages that had pictures of me and my DH, as well as some close friends. I agree that paying the money for those college yearbooks was a waste because at such a large university the percentage of people that you actually knew is so small, I would have been better off spending the money on a scrapbook and film/developing (it was before digital, OK?) and made my own memory book of MY memories.

Amy

Most of the pictures I have of my mother are from after I was born, so when she passed away, I took a few pictures from when she was younger. I don’t know what happened to her yearbooks (probably mold from being kept in the basement), but I found an old scrapbook from her college days. I don’t know who most of the people are, but it’s my mother acting goofy with her girlfriends, and it’s nice to think of her as once being young and having fun. Sentimental stuff like this always gets me. I have her old home movies, too.

My high school yearbook and my baby book and my kid’s yearbooks and even my ex’s yearbooks are all in rubbermaid totes in the garage, waiting for the day my children have to clean out my stuff as they sell my house and move me into assisted living.

I figure it’s the least I can do for them for leaving it all with me to begin with.

Claycat

If you don’t want your yearbooks, some of them are selling on eBay for surprising amounts. I sold a Texas A&M yearbook, 1944, for $53! I was in shock!

I have some others that haven’t sold for as much, but I have a 1942 Lamar High School (Houston) yearbook that should sell well. I just wish I had put it on eBay before they raised the fees so much.

I know those are old yearbooks, but there are fairly recent ones that are selling, too.

nhbowden

I can’t find my high school yearbook. It’s safely tucked away in a box … somewhere … :-/

javamonster

My high school yearbook made it through basement floods, and other indignities. I do have some good memories of high school. Not great, but good, and I do still have some affection for the people in my group that I remember. It does smell of mildew though.

I don’t have any yearbooks from college though. Ironically, college was horrible for me, and I left one school after two years, and then transferred to another one that didn’t have yearbooks at all! (phew!) I kind of wish that second school DID have yearbooks, because my husband and I do keep in touch (well, he does more than I do) of the friends we had back then. And I remember I also had a “yearbook” from Junior High, but I don’t know if it’s survived the years. Now, that was hellish as well. I’m not so sure I miss that one at all, but I do wonder where it is from time to time.

trillie

@Claycat, ooh, I wonder if there is a celebrity in there, with very unfortunate hair… Hee hee :o)

Gypsie

I have every year book K-12 and DH has his high school ones. We are from different parts of the country and both went to relatively small schools so we use the books to point out people that we come across or reminisce about to each other. I am pretty sure my mom has her high school year books and I did enjoy looking at them as well. I will keep mine but they fit in a small space.

lahope

I’ll never get rid of my yearbooks although I noticed in the last UCLA alumni magazine the university needs one of the years I have for its official collection. I’ll let someone else donate it because I do use mine occasionally when I come across a name in the news that sounds vaguely familiar or I get a facebook friend request. Most of the women are using different names from when they were in high school/college, so I need to be able to compare photos and google both last names to make sure I’m adding someone I actually knew, not some random person. I especially love my high school friends. I’ve stayed in touch with many but I’ve lost touch with just as many that I would like to know today. I envy the younger digital media generation. The members never have to lose touch with one another because it’s so easy to stay connected!

Abeline

I was the copy editor and head writer of my college yearbook, so they are part of my resume. I will probably never get rid of them.

pammyfay

Well, I decided what to do with mine: I tossed it. I flipped through it, looked at some of those feathered-back hairstyles, took note of a great teacher that I decided I want to track down and send her a 30-years-later thank-you note (if she’s still around!). I decided that I wouldn’t try to sell it or give it to a hometown library, because there were some handwritten sentiments that I felt didn’t need to be public knowledge. I don’t regret it–yet! But it’s been only 24 hours!

Jude2004

Please consider donating your yearbook to your school or to a museum. I’ve been trying to collect yearbooks to fill in gaps like the ones left by students who chopped out photos they cared about. My kids’ high school is using my parents’ yearbooks from 1935 through 1938 and 1947 to restore composite class photos. They have uses and meaning beyond our feelings.

Patch

I never owned any college yearbooks, but for some reason I had all four years of my high school annual. What I did a few years ago is rip out only those pages where I was pictured, neatly trimmed them, and pasted them to my personal photo album.

The rest of the pages I shredded (which was therapeutic), then recycled the paper along with the cardboard covers.

Win/win: I keep the meaningful pages :) of my four-year experience/looks, which now take up all of two pages in my photo albums, and the heavy books are GONE.

terriok

I would never get rid of mine. It would help if I knew where they were. LOL.

HappyDogs

Once long ago and far away, when I was young and rather stupid, I lost my purse. It had everything in it: license, passport, SS card, student ID, you name it. (okay, I DID mention I was young and stupid, right?)

Anyway, I used my high school yearbook, with my photo and name clearly printed in it, as identification to get a new driver’s license. So there you go. Those old annuals do more than waste space.

I have one High School yearbook (senior year) and one book from Junior High.

I was a very depressed teenager – I was secretly a cutter, borderline suicidal, was betrayed deeply by my first “true love” and a few years later by my first two “serious” relationships. I had poor skin, thought I was fat and insecure in just about every sense of the word. I was a poor student. I was hiding my sexuality. I hated my life and I hated many of my schoolmates.

But I could never get rid of my yearbooks and regret not getting more of them. Why? Because despite all of the horrible memories, I have many good ones in between. I continued to resent my school years well beyond graduation… until I went back and actually looked at what I had documented of my time in school.

I read the comments in my Senior yearbook recently and even stumbled across my old LiveJournal. Memories of adventures I’d had with those that were my friends came flooding back to me. I read about precious moments and friendships that I now barely remember and it gave me an opportunity to look back and go – you know… it wasn’t ALL bad.

irishbell

GirlOverboard- Now you know the reason you kept those books. Good for you for re-reading them! Always better not to dwell on the bad things. My high school years were ok, but no way would I ever want to relive them. Too much drama and angst, even for the kids you probably didn’t think had a care in the world.
    I used my high school yearbooks to hold up a broken shelf in our basement bookcase for the longest time. New bookcase, still have the yearbooks.

djk

finally got out the ladder, got down the box with the yearbook, and tossed it. Buh-bye.
    It is SO GREAT to toss the past! (yet again, it was one thing that I thought I SHOULD keep, even though I simply didn’t care about it) High school was fine. I liked it. I did well in school. I got awards. I had a crush on the basketball star. I kept my best friends. But the yearbook’s time is over. Goodbye, Lady of Shalott, written in longhand over several pages. “Out flew the web/and floated wide/the mirror cracked/from side to side, the curse has come upon me! cried,/” the yearbook which is in the recycling bin now.

:)

charmed2482

I still have my senior yearbook. But I’ve been thinking of getting rid of it. I don’t want to just toss it though. My picture isn’t even in it, so I don’t know why I HAD to have it, but I did. I even made sure it was paid for like a month before the dead line b/c I wanted it so badly. B/c we were poor and my mom wouldn’t let me get any other yearbook except my senior one. I did manage to find two middle school yearbooks when I was working at Goodwill, but I ended up giving those to a friend who went to the same school.

I remember passing my yearbook around to people I barely knew so I would have some signatures in it. The only person who signed it that I still talk to is one of my cousins. I need to let it go, its just taking up space.

ValH

My school year books are one of the things I don’t think I would ever part with. They are full of memories and I always love flipping through the pages and reading all the messages left behind. I even have yearbooks from each year teaching, I have my students sign them. They are nice memories and something I actually look at from time to time.

High School, Junior High, and Elementary school (which I have yearbooks for all of them) held good and bad memories for me. I was really shy and did not make a lot of friends, but looking back at the yearbooks I get to remember all of the good times I had and could not imagine parting with them.

Gil

High school was not one of my most memorble periods in life, but it all wasn’t bad. When opening them, it’s really like stepping into a time machine. My yearbooks are at my mom’s and she insisted on keeping them. Once I go home and pitch the rest of my things, the yearbooks are going out as well. FOr me, it’s like hanging onto the past, one that will never be again and I’ve decided it’s time to move forward.

pkilmain

I was the director of our local library until I retired earlier this year. We had all the yearbooks from our high school and I was surprised how often they were asked for (we kept them in a back room so they wouldn’t be stolen/defaced). Consider asking your library or school if they would like them before you toss them. Same with college ones I guess, but like someone else, I went to a very large college and knew very few people overall. My husband went to the same school, different year, so we have two of these large books we never look at. They need to go.

Gil

pkilmain,

Thank you for that suggestion. I will definitely do that!

bklynchic

I want to second Jude2004 and ask anyone who considers throwing out their yearbooks to donate them to your alma mater. I was editor-in-chief of my college yearbook, and we were missing quite a few years. I participated in my high school alumni association, and they’re still missing books from the 30s. We ended up buying many of them on eBay for some rather unpleasant sums of money (I went to a famous high school). Yours may not be so old now, but it will be in just a few short decades. So please, contact your alumni association. They will likely even pay for shipping if you send them a book they don’t have.

suzjazz

I still have my high school and college yearbooks, but I have no idea where they are.
    :-)
    I saved them mostly to remember what my friends and I (and our teachers!) looked like back then when we were young. They don’t take up a lot of space, so I am not hell-bent on tossing them when I finally find them.

linnefaulk

I have mine. They take up little space compared with the rest of it. I may decide in the future to get rid of them, but it doesn’t bother me now. The set of 1990 Britannia Encyclopedias that my husband HAD TO HAVE ….

Anonymous

I wanted to keep my high school one, but I lost it the same day I got it… but only AFTER it had been signed by all my friends. Not a fun experience.

In my university, each department/faculty/school was responsible for their own yearbook, and mine didn’t have one, so… I have no yearbooks of any kind, but not by choice.

nws2002

I have all 4 from high school. Several of us went on to the same college and we still keep in touch today. Our college didn’t create yearbooks.

I used to have scattered ones from elementary school and jr high. My family moved around a lot though and I don’t know anyone from then. I scanned in my class and a few other pictures from each book and then called the school to see if they wanted it. If they did I sent it to them, if not I recycled it.

EraserGirl

i gave them to my HS yearbooks to my local library. they only wanted one but i told them both or nothing. yippee! they are gone.

charmed2482

they probably just recycled the one they didn’t want.

Trish

I am at this moment pulling out the significant pages from my HS yearbooks (I have 3 books) to use in a scrapbook I am making with photos from HS. I have quite few great memories, but I also went to huge school… so REALLY big books for only a few pages that I really care about! I’m also scanning these pages to keep in my digital files just in case the scrapbook is ever lost or damaged.

lazycow

When I went to high school (in the 80′s, in Australia), yearbooks were only just beginning to be published. My 3 were very thin affairs and after keeping them for over 25 years (gulp!) I threw them in the recycling bin last week, along with all my school reports. I am just not that person any more, and it felt so freeing to have shed another part of my past.

Zen friend

Great posts. I’m convinced. Threw out my yearbooks today.

bandicoot

i threw my yearbooks out years ago….not that they were a very big deal to start with.
    my school wasn’t big on yearbooks in the late seventies/early eighties.

one thing i have insanely held onto is my pilot log book.
    o how i cherished that thing.
    it is still on my bookcase and now i think if i got hit by a truck tomorrow, someone else would have to get rid of it.
    i may as well save them the bother and do it myself.
    it’s clutter. i haven’t opened it in fifteen years. i haven’t flow in 24 years, more than half my life away.
    but i’ll keep the actual license. it’s tiny.

Beth213

Wow, now you all have me thinking do I keep or get rid of? Both my husband’s and mine are just in a pile in the den, (they don’t fit on the bookcases in there), and I only looked at mine last year because it was our 20th reuninon. We do get attached to things don’t we? I think it’s time to take out the pictures I want, and dump the rest. Thanks all!!!

NYCPakRat

I have mine at arm’s length as I type. I have great memories of HS and now with Facebook, I’m reconnecting with people I haven’t seen in 30 years. It comes in handy when I get a friend request and don’t recognize their picture. I’ve also enjoyed reading what people wrote as I hadn’t looked at that in over 20 years. That’s what makes the book valuable to me. I plan to scan it over the winter in case it ever gets lost.

NYCPakRat

Oh, and my mother has hers still too – from 1954!

Nithy

I didn’t get yearbooks from high school. There was very little of high school that I wanted to be reminded of, and I have individual photos of the things I do want to remember. I don’t facebook: I choose to make it difficult for anyone from high school to track me down.

I had both of my yearbooks from junior high. Now I only have one. I suspect something happened to the other in the flood. I wish I did still have it, even though it’s been years since I opened it. We had a huge picnic event on the last day of school and everyone went around signing everyone else’s yearbooks, so I had a lot of signatures and messages about good memories. I keep them on the bookshelf where I keep all my photos.

Rozzie

I have all my yearbooks from grade 3 through grade 12. I also have my freshman college yearbook and kept the one from each year I finished a degree in college after I transferred. (Ahem. I also have a couple of VERY old yearbooks from my Alma mater.)

I actually USE my high school and junior high yearbooks even though I graduated over 20 years ago. I have used them to figure out who people were on Facebook and to Identify some people in photos I have from my school years. I did go to small schools so that probably makes a difference. I never went to a school in K-12 that had more than 300 people in K-12.

Parsifal

High school? College? I still have my ELEMENTARY school yearbooks! Of course, they’re some of my few childhood keepsakes and I know right where they are and have looked at them within the past year. It’s something fun to see when the family trots out childhood pictures of the holidays.

flubberyzing

Here in the UK, we don’t really go into the whole yearbook thing. Some schools do one for the final year of school, but that certainly isn’t common.
    My university faculty did one in my final year, which I did buy and still have. It’s nice to look at occasionally and I’ve used it to grab the odd email address now and then (I graduated in 2006).

My year books were the first things to go.

Another Deb

My parents had my college yearbooks stored in their attic. I retrieved them last summer and DH and I had a great laugh. We knew we had lived within 100 yards of each other at one point back in the 1970′s (we met through the internet 30 years later!) and now we have the dorm pictures to prove it!

Ancestry.com is digitizing yearbooks, so perhaps if you are searching for people, you might find them there.

I really wish I could sell my college yearbook. Can’t really be sure what possessed me to purchase it in the first place, especially since I tossed all but one of my high school yearbooks during college. I see that some yearbooks sell on eBay but I highly doubt the year I went will sell. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.