Home Forums Welcome Hello! Good 'mindset words' for Unclutterers

This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of ataylor ataylor 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    glossta1

In the Goals January 2013 thread various members identified words that were important to them for the coming year. The words seemed so helpful that I wanted to bring them together, and so here they are, alphabetically:
    1. Capable
    2. Calm
    3. Change
    4. Clarity
    5. Completion
    6. Confidence
    7. Consistency
    8. Finish
    9. Flourish
    10. Focus
    11. Gracious
    12. Grateful
    13. Innovate
    14. Intentional
    15. Light-hearted
    16. Mindfulness
    17. More
    18. Organise
    19. Persevere
    20. Prioritise
    21. Restraint
    22. Walk
    23. Writing
    Is there a word that is important for you in your pursuit of a purposeful but uncluttered life?

djk

Good 'mindset words' for Unclutterers

thanks for posting this, glossta1! this one-word idea as an overarching theme has been much on my mind since reading about it on another blog then here. I am still pondering which word I want to go with. I can relate to all of them!

Ella

Glossta1: I love that list, thank you for posting it again. I’d like to add another word for myself: Balance.

sleepykitten

I love all these words – like @djk, I have a tough time picking just one. I went with “confidence”, but I’ve actually been using everyone’s words depending on the scenario. Just thinking about positive words is helpful.

glossta1

That’s a nice one too Ella. Like Sleepykitten, I find all these positive words helpful at different times and in different ways.

ataylor

I was trying to find one word to substitute for this phrase: let it go.

I say this phrase to myself when I notice I am fixating on a thought or ruminating on a problem. I got it from an Indian Jones movie .. it’s an important reminder to me that the things we perceive as valuable are really not that valuable when we look through a broader lens. And, thanks to the Internet, I found the clip rather quickly, too! [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEblfSKCXM0[/video]

I actually hear Sean Connery’s voice in my head saying the phrase just like in the scene .. for added dramatic effect. lol

glossta1

I can’t find a single word for that either. Acceptance, or the currently trendy ‘chill’, maybe. I had a friend who used to advise ‘sit lightly to it’, which I quite like and still use – I guess it comes from riding a difficult horse.

clutterbug22

ataylor,
    I’ve found that phrase useful whilst potentially dwelling on something that has annoyed or upset me especially when someone has cut me up whilst driving! Nice to have that ‘visual’ reminder from the movie.

clutterbug22

2 phrases that I’ve been using to back up my Year Word of ‘Finish’ are ‘Do it quickly’ and ‘Get it done early’.

I’ve found that sometimes I can take too long getting a task done, perhaps a bit of perfectionism there, so trying to remember this phrase to get something done quickly rather than let the task extend for ever and ever.

Obviously getting started on a task early rather than leave it to the last minute decreases stress and potential for mistakes and rushing around wishing I’d finished something earlier rather than scrabbling around in a tizz at the eleventh hour!

irishbell

grateful, light heartedness, mindfulness, perseverance
    love love love these!

gailbon

Patience and knowledge. Letting stuff go is pretty easy for me, but I need to be more patient with my family. And knowledge on how to approach the process is what I have gained from reading posts on this website. Thank you!

Barbs

I think there are 2 mindsets I will be trying to work on for a while. “Balance” and “Mindfulness”.

liag

self-esteem, moving on ability, persistence.

Lounger

This has reminded me that I often tell myself to ‘Be bothered’, in very quick response to the ‘Can’t be bothered’ inclination.

Come in and nearly chuck coat on back of chair? ‘Be bothered’ and the coat is in the wardrobe. Same with washing up, dealing with paperwork as it comes in, all those niggly little things that can result in clutter.

sleepykitten

I like that, @Lounger! Similarly, maybe “respect” (like, respect yourself and your home enough to keep it tidy) or “care”.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

Nice. Clarity is a word I like a lot. Two more that matter to me:

contentment
    peace

another nice word is open-handedness, which suggests to me a generous, warm and open nature. When you’re not holding on desperately, you can give as well as receive.

ataylor

@Lounger I like that one too. It took me some time to figure out what some of my UK friends would mean when they would type “cba” into a chat. I found out cba = “can’t be arsed” .. the less-than-formal substitute for “can’t be bothered.” :)

bandicoot

ataylor, maybe the word you are looking for is “release”?

another word i like to keep lightly in mind: breathe.

@ataylor would ‘detach’ like the opposite to ‘attach’ work? Not holding on to everything and anything.

Mine is a bit similar: minimalism

liag

How about “liberation”…” “catharsis”…”shedding”…”levity”…”lightness”?

ChiFlower

Simplify.

ataylor

@bandicoot and @JohannaJansen .. oh those are good ones. :) although, I still prefer to envision Sean Connery encouraging me, all the same.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.