Home Forums Welcome Hello! Goals February 2013

This topic contains 78 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Netleigh Netleigh 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    sleepykitten

February goals – let’s hear ‘em!

I’ve heard that sometimes, visualizing completing your goals and telling a story about how you got to the finish line helps get you in the right frame of mind to succeed. I know, it sounds a little silly. But it also sounds fun. So here is my “February Story”.

In February, SK stayed on track with her weight goals, ending the month at a mere 146 pounds. Getting permanently down into the 140s wasn’t easy, but SK focused on drinking lots of water, practicing yoga daily, and eating her favorite healthy foods (brown rice bowls, mackerel, avocado, quinoa, etc., etc….mmmmm…).

On the clutter front, SK battled both paper and digital clutter. Both categories take up minimal physical space, but lots of mental space. By the end of the month, SK had deleted over 2,000 old bookmarks, e-mails, and files. And, more importantly, she’d stopped compulsively bookmarking things like a madwoman and instead had trained herself to lovingly clip only the most essential snippets of webpages into Evernote. And paper? SK found a spot for a single paper “inbox” (one for work and one for home), gathered all stray papers, put them in the inbox, and then dealt with them ruthlessly and efficiently over the course of the month.

During the day at work, SK focused on her accomplishments rather than her to-do list (logging the accomplishments in a notebook) to help her stay confident and productive throughout the day. At night, she also wrote a sentence or two in a nightly journal for posterity. She didn’t try to capture everything or keep a complete record – just wrote a couple words to help conjure up memories in future years.

clutterbug22

Goals February 2013

Wow, what a fresh way at looking at your goals! A bit like your memoirs in advance.
    I definitely shall have a think about this, this week-end.

Hansi

Goals February 2013

I have a couple of goals.
    1) decide if I want to stay at my work or go back to the old one.
    2) Be done with the DVD collection sorting
    3) Start sorting out CS s
    4) read books and give away (have done this 2 months now)
    5) sort out some clothes hopefully.

This is my list for February.

Jude2004

Goals February 2013

I like this a lot. When I find myself procrastinating, I write about my plans for the next project on the list, and usually that motivates me enough to get to work. This might work the same way. I can also relate to the idea of bookmarking too much stuff. It’s hard not to.

Ella

Goals February 2013

I like your style, sleepykitten!

My February goals and projects:
    - declutter 5 more pounds (no sweets or snacks except Valentine’s Day)
    - 15 minutes a day working on old letters
    - volunteer at least once a week
    - attend at least one Zen talk and one Commonwealth talk this month
    - review the January Home Cure and fill in some of the many gaps I missed
    - shop for hallway runner/rugs (hard to find what I want so far, but I’ll keep looking)
    - completely outfit my new emergency Go Bag, and stock with fresh supplies
    - buy a Red Cross radio and a Swiss Army knife
    - keep walking and maybe, just maybe, start dancing

bandicoot

Goals February 2013

SK, that is fabulous!

february goals:

- run with the Big February Paper Unclutter as per the dedicated thread.
    IF that gets finished faster than anticipated, then it is time to start killing digital files.

- YOGA. 15 minutes every morning. FIRST THING.

- carry on with the green smoothies and green juices.

- once and for all (dammit) sort out new labels for work.

- get every single thing on my “builder list” in the next two weeks…guttering, skirting boards, picture and other hooks and thingies.
    everything has been purchased, now we just need the builder. he is booked.

- start gently nagging the tiler to return and do the final (outside) section.

- continue playing with pinterest, then decide if it stays or goes at the end of the month. and if it stays….under what conditions?

ninakk

Goals February 2013

I will get rid of stuff again.
    January was a good start on the digital project, but fall was completely stand-still for the most part.
    I’ll try to delete and/or chuck into donation/sell pile daily.

Goals February 2013

SK: Like!
    Ella: For a hall runner, have you looked at the Home Decorator Collection? They have a huge selection of runners: http://www.homedecorators.com/Rugs/S/Runner/

I want to be realistic this month. Really. Keep in mind my word: PRIORITIZE.
    (1) Participate in the paper cure, whatever that will be.
    (2) Get MIL’s house on the market: contact the handy couple to remove/repair/replace her broken deck and whip her yard into shape, including disposal of some junk in her yard.
    (3) Work on my food book. To meet the self-imposed July publication date, write 4-5 short chapters this month. Finish editing the other person’s book that has been languishing.
    (4) Yard work: it’s pruning month here and much work to be done: a little every day.
    (5) Back on track with weight watchers, Pilates, & figure out a routine for the new garage gym.
    (6) Have more fun. We’re going to Galveston over President’s Day weekend to walk in that area (3 or 4 10K walks) and have tickets to The Buddy Holly Story at a small theater in town. Maybe one more thing . . .

sleepykitten

Goals February 2013

I’m glad you all liked the story! It was fun to write, too. :)

@Ella – I also want some kind of emergency radio – I’ve gone years without one, but every time I end up in the basement during a storm/power outage, I with I had one. Also, you should totally start dancing! :)

@bandicoot and @susan – I was so excited to see the Paper Cure thread, because paper is totally on my list. I’m headed over there now to see what it is shaping into….

Netleigh

Goals February 2013

This month can be
    1 continue eating out the cupboards.
    2 do the things I noted from Peter Walsh January tasks, couldn’t do them as we have been away skiing.
    3 target some paper with the big paper declutter.
    4 recover from crashing onto my shoulder while skiing! I have some ligament damage and need to have a MRI scan to see if I need some surgery to repair me, I must resolve to not fall on my shoulders. No heavy duty arm work while decluttering, probably lots of physio in the next months,but this time it’s my left shoulder, as I am right handed it’s not as inconvenient as when I hurt my right shoulder.

Sk I like the storytelling approach.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

SK: that’s fab :)
    February goals
    1. Find a PhD supervisor already.
    2. Eat fewer biscuits. I don’t even really like them.
    3. Keep working on my book
    4. Finish tidying allotment ready for planting, order seeds.
    5. Tidy garden and patio ready for spring (have started already)
    6. Some other stuff, but it’s a bit personal for here, I’ll remember when I see it

britannia

Goals February 2013

In mid-January, I made a list of Projects in response to one of the January Cure thingys. It started with 22 items, which ballooned to 29. I managed to get about a third of them done, so my February Projects List started with 20 items (quickly ballooned to 22). One I will scratch off as soon as I plug my new lamp in and two more will be done on Tuesday/Wednesday, when my new chair/footstool and TV stand are delivered from IKEA and assembled by me. I’ve identified those which I can do with little problem – just don’t know if I’ll get to them though.

Katt

Goals February 2013

Finish clearing the floor/closet in the 2nd bedroom. I have maybe 10 more boxes of books to go through and three more boxes of stuff. The stuff I will look at tomorrow, the books will wait until next weekend (I’m out of space to pile things until then).

Keep up on PEEPing and doing housecleaning. I’m doing fairly well here, I’d like to continue with it, but DF is allergic to dust, so need to step it up a notch.

Track expenses. I know what the bills are and so on, but money is tight and I want to see how much I’m spending on odds & ends, coffee, gas, groceries, etc.

Do some cooking for myself to provide more interesting lunches/breakfasts. DF is extremely limited and picky about what he’ll eat, so our dinners are on a fixed rotation. I don’t want to keep defaulting to salad in a bag for lunch; variety is a good thing.

If I get done with the 2nd bedroom, I’d like to tackle the back deck and some other projects, but we’ll see how it goes.

chacha1

Goals February 2013

Everybody is so energetic! Love it.

Ella – fwiw I got my kitchen runner from the recommended Home Decorators Collection. Mine is a 14-foot-long sisal that serves wonderfully, it’s continuous through the whole galley kitchen AND gets most of the kitty litter off paws before said paws enter the dining/living room. Ahem.

Goals for February:

1. Finish full-length novel and send it to my reader.
    2. Finish rewrite/edit of novellas 1-3 for paperback compilation publication, and publish it.
    3. Get my bookkeeping complete and get all necessary paperwork from DH.
    4. Relaunch Etsy store.
    5. Start reworking ballgown. (Once I start I’ll HAVE to finish.)

Not putting any dancing goals up because, while we’ve got two performances this month, the hard work has all been done by prepping for competition. :-)

Nina

Goals February 2013

1. Continue with my diet and exercise plan
    2. finish paper Nr. 1
    3. write concept for paper Nr. 2
    4. contact last 2 professors about exams
    5. mend 2 jumpers so I can wear them again
    6. make a sleve for our tablet
    7. if I have the time: declutter papers

djk

Goals February 2013

February’s plan is to step up the “clean one thing a day” so that the majority of “Spring Cleaning” is complete. I have extra time off this month, but also quite a few social commitments , so I’m looking at where I can do some ketchup

ron

Goals February 2013

February’s goal
    1. keeping up with getting rid of 50 items a week.
    2. completely sort through all my paper clutter. throwing out what I don’t need
    3. taking care of my health – eating healthy and exercising.
    4. to understand why I procrastinate.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

ron: take at look at this podcast about procrastination: http://iprocrastinate.libsyn.com/
    Lots of very interesting takes on the subject.
    Chacha1: do you have a routine for your writing?

rutheverhart

Goals February 2013

My February goals:
    1. to move forward on the bathroom remodel, this is proving very difficult.
    2. to finish the first draft of my book — I am on target but need to keep this a high priority.
    3. to remember to “be gracious and lighthearted” especially at work. This has been less successful than I had hoped — good thing I have a year to work on it!
    4. keep eating well and exercising, hopefully this will result in a modest but steady weight loss.

Good luck everybody!

rutheverhart

Goals February 2013

My February goals:
    1. to move forward on the bathroom remodel, this is proving very difficult.
    2. to finish the first draft of my book — I am on target but need to keep this a high priority.
    3. to remember to “be gracious and lighthearted” especially at work. This has been less successful than I had hoped — good thing I have a year to work on it!
    4. keep eating well and exercising, hopefully this will result in a modest but steady weight loss.

Good luck everybody!

vjb

Goals February 2013

February for me:
    1. Get a few little, long put-off things done around the house: put up new hooks and shelf by the door (aka landing strip), plaster up the holey bit of the wall, buy the Ikea wall-light I picked out and put it up by the sofa so I have somewhere to read. (All things I intended to do as part of the January Cure… O The Guilt!)
    2. Lose the two kilos I put on over Christmas/New Year.
    3. Start going to free yoga class again, try out the local spin class to see if I like it, and go to the nearby community gym once or twice. Over the next couple of months I’d like to get back my former fitness and improve on it a bit.
    4. Keep on with menu planning, to avoid food wastage/clutter.

Goals February 2013

My February goals:
    1 Participate in the Paper Cure, (as on the other thread). This is mainly work papers, I plan to spend 15 mins a day on them -on days I am in the office- until they are minimal. This will also include catching up on saving things on our central system, so I can then delete the emails.
    2 Try out recipes from the dairy-free books I have been lent and record those recipes somewhere
    3 Use my time so I fit in fitness classes (which keep me cheerful) and fill downtime on the train commute with films and music (need to put a few new things on my Ipod).

KeKeD

Goals February 2013

1. Participate in the Paper Cure
    2. Anything else is a bonus

Goals February 2013

I can’t believe it’s the 8th already!

Am doing well this month:
    (1) Paper: not earth-shaking, but I’ve worked on it a little bit every day and will continue to do so next week.
    (2) Yard: The weather has been wonderful, so I’ve spent more time here than I should have. Another couple of sessions and it will be OK — not perfect by any means, but if I stopped the plants would still be happy. I got 5 big bags of yard waste into Tuesday’s trash and have another 7 already stacked up for next week.
    (3) MIL’s house: (drumroll, please) I actually spoke to the handy couple and they are going to get back to me about replacing the broken deck. Also, to re-do my garden beds and build our carport.
    (4) No progress with weight loss or exercise. I am really floundering here.
    (5) All the fun stuff is still on tap.

irishbell

Goals February 2013

Susan- what is the size of your yard? With all the work you’ve done, it sounds like you must have a national park or arboretum for a yard!!! It sounds simply exhausting!!!!

Meglet

Goals February 2013

@Susan, apparently you have a Texas-sized yard on your house! Wow! :D

Fairly simple goals for this month:
    *Move – basically done as of today, just the desk and random leftover bits to get this weekend. Then I just have to figure out where to put everything.
    *Unpack ALL THE WAY. None of this “moving boxes sitting untouched for years” garbage
    *Get hooks and hall closet curtains up ASAP – it’s only been a day and I really miss some of them. (Also, this includes taking down or having the Apt people take down some pre-installed bars & doors.)
    *Get artwork up on the walls – some is framed and ready since it was in the last apartment, some still needs framing (printed after the Jan Cure) in order to go up.

Offhand I can’t really think of any goals not related to the move, because I really want to concentrate on getting back to my neat, peaceful living space as quickly as possible.

Ella

Goals February 2013

My first week’s report is a bit out of balance.
    DONE…
    - plenty of volunteer assignments this month, twice a week instead of just once
    - attended one zen talk
    - got ticket for Commonwealth talk next Monday
    - lots of good walking, a bit of desperate sprinting, and a brief spate of fun dancing
    - a measly 15 minutes of paper clutter work on old letters, alas… it was terribly depressing, but I am determined to soldier on
    NOTHING DONE YET…
    - no further work on the hallway or the Go Bag
    - no further poundage lost yet… plateau party, anyone?

Goals February 2013

Irish & Meglet: It sounds like a lot, doesn’t it, but it’s only 1/5 of an acre! There is a lot of stuff growing, though. And things grow all year here.

Hansi

Goals February 2013

Almost done with the DVDs and have decided what to do with the CDs. The clothes challenge panned out in an old ignored challenge problem. I sorted my bed linen and threw away old torn bed linen and kept the best. I have also sorted some clothes. It is coming along but I thing I was a bit optimistic this month with my challenges. I will struggle on. Today it’s snowing so i’m sorting the digital files.

vjb

Goals February 2013

Well, I’ve achieved a few little things so far. Yesterday I scrubbed the walls of the hall with Magic Eraser in preparation for putting up my landing-strip hooks and shelf. Very pleased with how it’s come up! (My flat was a rental for years before I moved in, and the walls were pretty revolting – I’ve been tackling them bit by bit.) I also hung a picture in the hall that I’d been pondering, and it looks just right, surprisingly. So nice to walk in the door now!

I also did a couple of things that weren’t on my list: sanded off the feet of my dining chairs and stuck on some wool felt protectors, and steel-wool-scrubbed the top of my coffee table. O! the luxurious silence when I pulled out a chair to sit down at the table! I’ve been cringing at the scraping noise those chairs made on the floor for all the four or five months I’ve had them. :)

Menu planning is going well, but no progress on any of my other goals. I have earmarked this week to lose those darn kilos and try a spin class, though, and next weekend I’ll do my Ikea run.

bandicoot

Goals February 2013

IF that gets finished faster than anticipated, then it is time to start killing digital files.
    DONE.

NOT DONE.

DOING IT.

NOT DONE.

- get every single thing on my “builder list” in the next two weeks…guttering, skirting boards, picture and other hooks and thingies.
    IN THE WORKS. and more has been added to the list.

DONE!! DONE!! DONE!!!!!!

- continue playing with pinterest, then decide if it stays or goes at the end of the month. and if it stays….under what conditions?
    not quite as addictive as i initially thought.
    i can go days without logging in. so it stays for now.

Meglet

Goals February 2013

Oh, one more goal, as reminded by vjb:
    *Get a landing strip re-defined ASAP. I had a pretty nice setup in the old apartment, but it really didn’t transfer to the new one. I’m living without one for now, waiting to see where things like my keys end up naturally, but I’ll need to deal with shoes, bags, Outbound items, that sort of thing.

chacha1

Goals February 2013

@lottielot, I didn’t check in here for a bit and missed your question!

My writing routine is … I write at work. Ahem. I am a bit underemployed in my job and my supervisor keeps not sending me more work. So after a year of mostly reading the Internet until I was utterly sick of it, I dug out some writing projects.

Goals report: the Etsy store is relaunched! YAY! And the “reworking ballgown” task has been outsourced. So my remaining goals for the month are:

1. finish novel and send to reader
    2. finish compilation 1 and publish
    3. get my bookkeeping DONE and pester DH for his papers.

Katt

Goals February 2013

–Finish clearing the floor/closet in the 2nd bedroom.
    12 boxes of books out the door today! 4 bags of books out the door yesterday!
    Need to continue to stay focused on this & not get sidetracked by other organizing/decluttering

–Keep up on PEEPing and doing housecleaning.
    Doing it!

–Track expenses.
    Doing it!

–Do some cooking for myself to provide more interesting lunches/breakfasts.
    Doing it!

djk

Goals February 2013

Well done, Katt !

Katt

Goals February 2013

Thanks djk :) Am really enjoying the extra space in the living room now that all those books are outta here.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

Chacha1: nice to be paid to write :) My dad did the same thing, he wrote lots of books at work. I find disciplining myself to sit down very hard.
    I have made progress!!!!!! On Monday morning I went for a run and near the end of it I weirdly envisioned myself climbing out of a large pit with slippery sides. I seem to have been stuck there since last October after I finished my MSc. thinking back on it, I needed a break. I spent 5 years studying continuously with young kids and last year I was very busy at uni, had my tutoring job and still had all the domestic stuff going on. I really lost my love of my subject. Yet instead of making the most of a break I procrastinated on everything and beat myself up about it. I’m not good without a goal or a focus.
    Anyway, I emailed 2 professors about PhDs. One said he wasn’t looking for students. This was the one further away. The other one nearby said to come in for a chat. His research interests don’t really match mine as well as some other academics, but they are the best match at the uni closest to home. Plus there may be an opportunity for co-supervision, maybe even at another uni. And I’ve realised that my best chance of success at a PhD is regular contact with a supervisor and feeling like I’m part of a research community, which is impractical at a uni several hours away. This uni is maybe an hours commute, so I could easily combine regular visits with still being there for the kids. I’m cautiously optimistic, I have a meeting in 2 weeks time :)
    Other goals: dh appears to have finally relented on our trip. I had to spend yet another few hours on the phone getting prices, only to find they have gone up and availability has gone down. I’ve been furious with dh for the last few weeks over the prospect of not going, but I know him well enough to say nothing at all about it and finally he seems to be ok with it. Infuriating to be married to someone who will not communicate. Anyway, hopefully I can book it tomorrow, today’s job is looking at a side trip for me and the kids.
    The book is still inching along, I have 2 hours sitting in the car at tennis today so can do more, I did some research on it yesterday while the kids did karate.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

Sorry, that was ridiculously long!
    Other goals: I have eaten fewer biscuits by not buying any :)
    The allotment and garden haven’t been touched really, it’s been either very cold, very wet or both. I have an incentive to do the allotment though, I got lumbered with being in charge of the site so I need to set an example. Lots of politics, but I will prevail :)

Goals February 2013

Update:
    1 (Participate in the Paper Cure, mainly work papers, I plan to spend 15 mins a day on them -on days I am in the office- until they are minimal. This will also include catching up on saving things on our central system, so I can then delete the emails). Am making great progress here.

2 (Try out recipes from the dairy-free books I have been lent and record those recipes somewhere) – not done yet

3 (Use my time so I fit in fitness classes and fill downtime on the train commute with films and music (need to put a few new things on my Ipod) – Done, altho I need to upload some new films. Making a big difference to my stress levels

Goals February 2013

Lottielot: what wonderful news! Am glad DH relented on the trip, and the possibility of a PhD opportunity sounds wonderful.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

Thanks susan, I’m feeling a lot more positive about life, the universe and everything right now :)

chacha1

Goals February 2013

Lottielot: great progress. :-)

lottielot

Goals February 2013

Adding another goal: sorting out ds2′s bedroom. You can’t get in the door, there is loads and loads to chuck out and I’m sick of the mess in there (he sleeps in his brother’s room). Next week is school holidays so although we have plenty going on, I think it’ll be a good time for a big clear out. Then hopefully with a lot less stuff in there it’ll be less easy for chaos to reign!

Netleigh

Goals February 2013

Lottie, good to hear you are surfacing from the procrastination swamp.

Today I have managed to achieve one task left over from completing January’s tasks goal, the baking trays cupboard. 3 tins can go out, the rest now fit in more neatly and accessibly with a vertical stacking support rack, how I love Lakeland gadgets! Hopefully it won’t degenerate into the heap it was where whatever you needed had sifted to the bottom.
    Procrastination has been my name these last two weeks, as on top of having an injured shoulder I’ve also had a pig of a flu-type virus where lying in bed sweating and coughing has been my major activity. Finally feeling able to sit up but not do anything apart from sit vacantly.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

That’s not procrastination, Netleigh, it’s recovery.
    Flights are all booked :) Need to email family and friends with dates now. I got back in touch with an old uni friend last year, it’d be nice to see him again, not seen him for 20 years.

s

Goals February 2013

Good recovery, Lottie! You deserve it. Don’t beat yourself or your DH up…. I’m jealous of the trip now!

Hansi

Goals February 2013

Update:

I have decided on the job.
    I have cleared out my bed linen.
    I have gotten rid of 97% approx of the DVDs.
    I have looked t the CDs and have a small box left.

For februari challenge i’m done. I’m truly exhaused aswell this challenge has been tough. March challenge what will come…

Goals February 2013

Congratulations, Hansi.
    and best wishes to all on this thread.

I didn’t post my Feb goals here at the beginning, but mid-Feb marked a few deadlines/presentations and hurdles and the change to the Lenten season for me. I’ve been taking stock of what I’ve just done, and setting new goals that will run until the end of March, which happens to be Easter–plus I’m going to a national conference in my field in the first week of April, and there’s an incredible amount of work to do before then.

The paper cure has been working well for me, and I’ll post an update on that thread tomorrow.My desk is clear and clean and only two (5″ file boxes left now!). My thinking is becoming less cluttered–good for my line of work. :)

This month, I attended a (local) 2-day conference, gave a workshop yesterday, and submitted my funding applications, and have some teaching lined up for next year as a safety net. <sigh of relief> My home is significantly less cluttered and usually tidy enough for company. Even my friend/colleague who helped me last year when I was sick and who was nudging to get me to start uncluttering now thinks I’ve “made it”–and, oddly, I now inspire her to unclutter.

I have writing deadlines for the end of this month, and I’ll finish the paper cure, clear out some of my uni library books, and prune/clip my flowerbeds. In March, I plan to add in more exercise–and writing–and otherwise just keep on the same track.

Meglet

Goals February 2013

Goal progress – I have to remind myself that it’s only been a week since I’ve moved, so I’m doing pretty good at the level of unpacked that I’ve reached:

*Finished the moving, actually had everything out of the old apartment by last Sunday night (the Sunday after the Friday move) which is pretty impressive for me. Lots of little un-packed bits since I was “just moving downstairs.” But I’m DONE and now I just have to unpack.

*Speaking of which – down to 10 boxes left to unpack. I made really good progress today, but it was mostly either shuffling around/putting away stuff that was already unpacked, or it was dealing with things not in boxes (all the desk stuff was packed in the garbage can & recycle bin, for example.) I got my desk put together today, hope to do the stereo and new CD shelf tomorrow, then that’s the last of getting the furniture in place so there are proper places for things.

*Hooks and curtains – I FINALLY got the towel hooks up in the bathroom today, that one has been driving me crazy. It worked out to wait, though, as I discovered that a lovely glass shelf I couldn’t find a home for fit perfectly next to the towels, and if I’d done the hooks sooner I would have had to move them a bit. Still no curtains on the entry closet, as I can’t make up my mind which ones work. I did get the apartment people to take the doors off, and I’m ALMOST tempted to leave it open, because it really makes the entry feel more spacious. We’ll see.

*Artwork – well, I got one piece of art up the other night, need to frame a couple more pieces, print up yet more photos, then sit down and decide where it all goes. A lot of it is waiting on furniture placement, though, as I have just a couple more shelves to move before the wall arrangement will be static.

ChiFlower

Goals February 2013

I’m a bit late on posting here. Halfway through the month already!

1. Had the movers transport the things in my storage unit to a smaller size one, closer to home. It only saves me a couple of dollars a month because the city units are more pricey BUT with my stuff now 3 mins drive away it will be easier to go in there whenever I have a spare hour.

2. Sold some more stuff! Kids water table, outdoor chairs, pram, perfumes.

3. I want to carry on listing things for sale this month, BIG things, to make more room. My little apartment still resembles a toy store, but I’m working on it.

chacha1

Goals February 2013

Knocked off another big one this weekend. Goal 1 – finish novel and send to reader – DONE.

Left on the list:

2. finish novella compilation #1 and publish.
    3. finish my bookkeeping entries and get paperwork from DH for his.

sleepykitten

Goals February 2013

I started February feeling very optimistic re: paper cure, digital clutter, weight, etc. But I still have a long way to go before meeting my goals. With only 11 days left in the month (and a lot of stuff going on at work this week), I need to get more focused. I’m consistently my own worst enemy in terms of anxiety and depression and such, but I’ve made progress and I know if I buckle down I can close out the month strong. Thinking back to the “words for the year,” one of mine was CONFIDENCE. That word is going to take me through the end of the month!

lottielot

Goals February 2013

You’ve made progress, sleepykitten, that’s great! Stick with it!
    I looked into flights for our side trip and dh knows how much it will cost. I looked at car rental and taxis to the airport too, as the flights are very, very early or late, so my parents may not want to drive us that early. It’s not very expensive to get a shuttle taxi instead, so I think I will do that, and a hire car is also quite cheap the other end. Added up it’s all quite a lot, but worth it to see my best friend and her family, and have my kids meet her and her family. She is actually down as second choice of guardian to our kids in our will, so surely on that basis alone it’s worth doing! I’m going to book all this this week.

irishbell

Goals February 2013

Having scheduled my knee surgery for mid-march, I have a few things to work on the remainder of February and carry into March.

deep clean all bathrooms, not just the weekly clean ups
    deep clean kitchen, again not just the cursory weekly clean and tidy
    vacuum/deep clean all floors
    super clean the master bedroom
    make sure all bills are current and paid
    make several meals and freeze
    find a magical laundry fairy and beg him/her to live at my home for a few weeks
    sounds a bit like a thorough spring cleaning, now’s as good a time to start as any.
    but, I’m not feelin’ it today.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

Goodness, irish, that’s daunting! Sounds like you need to rope in some help from somewhere!

vjb

Goals February 2013

Irish, if you lived closer I would love to help you spring-clean and be your laundry fairy! I get such a kick out of deep-cleans. :)

As for me:
    1. I bought the Ikea wall light, but no further progress on the plastering or the hooks and shelf. I am *this* close to just calling a handyperson and paying for it all to be done.
    2. After losing one of the pesky kilos, I’ve put it back on plus another for good measure. Work and dating are being stressful and I have no willpower free for resisting food. Going to stop dating for a while to remedy this.
    3. I went to yoga on Sunday! And I tried out the spin class last week and enjoyed it, so I’m going to keep going. Now just need to make a trip to the community gym.
    4. Menu planning: see #2.

Trying to keep my chin up.

irishbell

Goals February 2013

Lottielot- between dh and 2 dds, i will have plenty of help.
    I just want to make sure things are good and clean before I’m out of commission.

vjb- aww thanks for the thought- I try to do some deep cleans throughout the year so I don’t have a major
    clean in the spring. cleaning is not my favorite thing, nor is laundry.
    “chin up” is a good motto!

from what I’m reading, doing the cleaning after my knee heals will be mucho easier than it is now,
    as it is extremely sore 24/7, hard to do stairs, any knee bending, walking etc.
    I’m actually wishing I could have the surgery sooner, so i’d be pain freee sooner.

Goals February 2013

Secret Squirrel – my DH and I are dairy-free (he’s almost full dietary vegan but I still eat seafood and eggs). You might find some suitable recipes on the recipes page of our website (www.b-m.id.au). If you check it out and are wondering what Nuttelex is, it’s a dairy-free margarine – you’ll need to find an appropriate substitute where you live.

britannia

Goals February 2013

It has just occurred to me that there is just one week left in February and I have done very little off my Project List. I started it in mid-January with 20 items, which quickly grew to 26. I whittled these down to 20 so I started Feb with 20, which I quickly brought up to 27. I’ve only struck off 5 (although I’ve worked on several others) so I’ll have to get my skates on this week and get the list down, otherwise I’ll end up in December with way more than I started the year with.

chacha1

Goals February 2013

I’ll be wrapping up my bookkeeping goal this weekend, but the compilation edit is going to get pushed to next month. I have a nonstop weekend ahead of me and there will be no time/mental energy for publishing. Will give some thought, next week, to what I want to accomplish in March.

Ella

Goals February 2013

I’m canceling all my previous goals for February. The only important thing to declutter during the final week is this stubborn sore throat. Hang the rest.

sleepykitten

Goals February 2013

I 100% support that decision, @Ella.

Goals February 2013

Oh, Ella, I didn’t post on your other thread, but I wanted to give my bestest wishes for your swift and full recovery. You’ve been one of the most encouraging voices here since I joined late last year, and I’m sorry to know you’ve been this sick for this long.

And I’d encourage you to continue some R&R thru March–could be a small price to pay in the long run. I had some lingering viral flu-like thing and resumed work too soon, thinking I’d shake off the fatigue in a short time. I wonder now if I had taken more rest for a few weeks if I would have avoided the complications that led to CFS symptoms, medical leave of absence, and messing up ~2 yrs of grad school.

bandicoot

Goals February 2013

paper uncluttering is going just fine, but may drag on into march a little.

nope. it has not ben daily and sometimes it has been late at night.

yes.

no. i am stuck.

DONE. and i got to declutter a lot of old odds and ends as a result. plus, things have proper places to live and it all looks tidier.

DONE.

i think pinterest is sorting itself out. i have already hit my peak there and it’s fine.

Goals February 2013

Rather late to say, thank you @Laetita in Australia for the recipe recommendations, they look enticing!

Update:
    This month I thought hard about the things I really needed to do, for myself. Then I did them. It has been a good month for putting myself first, even though work has been stupidly busy.

1 (Participate in the Paper Cure, mainly work papers, 15 mins a day). I have finished going through all papers in/on my desk. It looks so empty.

2 (Try out recipes from the dairy-free books I have been lent and record those recipes somewhere) – recorded them, plus I also have Laetitia’s for inspiration! Need to get cooking now.

3 (Use my time so I fit in fitness classes and fill downtime on the train commute with films and music)- Done, altho I need some new films.

chacha1

Goals February 2013

Got it DONE. My bookkeeping entries, that is. And the DH has delivered unto me his paperwork.

Still some fine tuning to do. e.g. to download my purchase history at Amazon so I can properly code those entries. Jeesch I do a lot of my shopping there.

Meglet

Goals February 2013

Ok, for only 2 weeks (and 2 weekends) after moving, I’m finally feeling like the new apartment is in pretty good shape.

Goal progress:

*Moving – marked as done last weekend.

*Unpack – I’m counting this as done but for the last 2 scary “I don’t know where to put this stuff” boxes; 1 of those boxes is shoes that will probably end up in a storage bin under the bed, the other is decorative stuff that has to wait till all surfaces are clear. I REFUSE to count the paperbacks right now – I got all 3 boxes of them unpacked today, and HATED the way they worked on that shelf. So they went into a different box, and I am contemplating how to deal with them.

*Hooks & curtains – not really any more progress here; the towel hooks went up last weekend, but I still don’t have curtains on the entryway closet and I still kind of like it that way. Forces me to keep that closet neat, plus gives a little more space when coming in the door.

*Art – no progress here. I was out of town or sick most of this week so I didn’t get to the frame shop, and I have a few more pieces of furniture to shuffle before I decide where to put what’s already framed.

*Landing zone – I have a temporary solution in place for this for now – keys go on a small stand, purse & bags go in the entry closet, inbound/outbound stuff lands on the floor of the closet where it annoys me quickly enough to get put away. :D I do have key hooks, just need to determine where to hang them. And I think once I get the top of a particular shelf cleared of it’s “move-in” clutter, it will work for setting stuff.

*Built the new CD shelf – this was buried I think in the unpacking goal, but it was a PITA so it gets its own goal. Especially as it turns out the shelf doesn’t match my other shelves, but actually works better, so now I have to seriously consider ordering one more to replace the other shelves. Sigh.

lottielot

Goals February 2013

Lots to do, Meglet!
    I had a meeting with a potential PhD supervisor today, it went pretty well I thought. I need to do lots of reading and come up with a proposal, but in general it’s all pretty positive :)
    Ds2′s bedroom did not get cleared out, I forgot we were going away. I did book our flights though, it’s all good.

Goals February 2013

Well, there goes February and I didn’t set any goals except to participate in the Paper Cure thread, which I didn’t. I have spent three or four work sessions (2-3 hours each) on paper work this month, so it’s not a complete wash.

I’ll spend some time today setting March goals and hope that stopping antidepressants brings back some motivation.

Goals February 2013

I haven’t been doing so well with goals this month, even though I tried to keep them modest. The work projects ended up being more time consuming than I anticipated and I ended up spending more time in the garden than I had planned. Oh well. I leave on a 4-day trip to Nashville tomorrow and will mull over what I can get done in March . . . like, what I didn’t get done this month.

irishbell

Goals February 2013

Forget trying to get the house sparkling clean before my surgery,
    I overdid it a few days in a row, and have been bedridden for 2 days now.
    Sheesh. I will have to be content with maybe less than my usual cleaning,
    let alone extra spic and span. Yup, I can easily do that. lol

Northshore
    Participant

Goals February 2013

I guess I didn’t post any monthly goals in this topic. I have been making good progress on the file cabinets but I am not nearly finished. Did get ATAD out most of the time–at least 28 items. And I’m sure I will lose 5 lbs by tomorrow so that I am on track to unclutter some weight. 1 out 3 goals met. I will keep working on the files in March but I have two trips planned plus my taxes to do so I am not going to set any unrealistic goals.

Meglet

Goals February 2013

Only one more day left in February, and pretty good progress on the goals:

*Moving – totally done.

*Unpack – OFFICIALLY done; I got a storage bin for the box of shoes, and the other one of decorative stuff I unpacked even though it has no home. It can just sit on an out-of-the-way shelf, and look prettier than a moving box. Plus, I was home today while the apartment office was open (rare) so I had the opportunity to get access to the storage area, and I wanted ALL the moving boxes out of my apartment and into storage.

*Hooks & curtains – Half done. Hooks are up, I’m still “meh” about those entry closet curtains. I’ve been looking but haven’t found any I like better than the open space.

*Art – guess this one is moving to a March goal. I missed the 50% off coupon for the framing people, and only just unburied the art that’s already frames from behind the pile of empty moving boxes. This is probably a good thing, because I will probably end up doing a large gallery wall in the living room, and it needs more thought than just “hurry and unpack and hang some pictures.”

*Landing Zone – my temporary solution is working for now, so I can take the time to put some thought into a good permanent solution.

Goals February 2013

great job, meglet!

Katt

Goals February 2013

Finish clearing the floor/closet in the 2nd bedroom.
    –Not done, will continue this in March. I’m getting a bit impatient with myself, so I may schedule a big Saturday trip downtown to sell a bunch of stuff. I also think I’m going to have to break down & buy boxes. Honestly it isn’t that much money and I need to stop hesitating about this.

I’ve made a lot of decisions about what to let go off, and about 90% of the books are going. Lots of emotions and realizations of “oh no, that has to go too…”

–Keep up on PEEPing and doing housecleaning.
    Kind of slid over the last two weeks, but dishes, laundry, and cat care are all happening, so on we go.

–Track expenses.
    The last week or so got a bit jumbled, but now I need to put all my numbers together and add things up. Mostly successful.

–Do some cooking for myself to provide more interesting lunches/breakfasts.
    Did okay on this, just need to keep going.

It’s crunch time at work, and I’ve been mostly exhausted when I come home. I need to remember the power of 15 minute increments.

Nina

Goals February 2013

Time to review my goals:
    1. I did exercise and eat a healthy, balanced diet, but didn’t lose as much weight as I would have liked.
    2. Didn’t finish it. I sent the concept to my professor 4 weeks ago and after another 3 mails and 2 phone calls she finally got back to me and basically told me it was crap. So back to the drawing board for this one.
    3. Did this and have got it signed off. Ready to write.
    4. Did this – now need to define my subjects for the exams.
    5. Haven’t done this.
    6. Or this – we bought one.
    7. Did some of it – more to come when the most pressing things are done.

Ella

Goals February 2013

February was a bust, being sick 21 days out of 28, sheesh. But I did manage to do a few things:

- decluttered 1 more pound
    - 15 minutes daily decluttering old letters (only did 15 minutes total)
    - volunteer at least once a week (had to cancel most shifts, but did manage to do 3)
    - attend at least one Zen talk and one Commonwealth talk this month (Zen once; CW no, too sick)
    - keep walking and maybe, just maybe, start dancing (walked only the first week, then got sick, then resumed walking very gently today; dancing? haha)

All the undone stuff will move into March. I feel better now, and that’s the most important thing. Without good health, everything else is an uphill struggle.

britannia

Goals February 2013

I’m declaring February over, although there are still 8 hours to go. I’m tired of February.

I started my Project List in mid-January, as a result of one of the January cure things, with 20 items, which quickly rose to 26. I managed to do 6 of them, so I started February with 20, which, again, quickly rose to 27.

This month, I’ve managed to complete 7 of the tasks. I’ve worked on 5 others, which are long-term ones, not easily done. I postponed another 7 because a) they cost money which is short, b) involve going out into the cold and snow and c) aren’t vital. So, I’m back to 20 items, 15 of them from January and 5 from February. I’ve put two of them on tomorrow’s list of Things to Do.

Netleigh

Goals February 2013

Ella, glad you are feeling better at long last, it sounded like a really horrible cold.
    February was also not good for me with injury and illness, I am going to move into March without a backwards glance or any summing up of what I felt I did not achieve.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.