Home Forums Welcome Hello! FATAD March 2012

This topic contains 167 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ninakk ninakk 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

fix your stuff!
    all fixes accepted here!

follows on from this thread: http://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/fatad-february-2012/page/15

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Went to agency for unemployed yesterday, sigh what a paper war. Have to add two attachments to the application sent last week and this means hours of more work.

Today so far:
    – Washed bedlinen and mattress cover
    – One top mattress is airing right now
    – Wiped sofa table, put it on top of bed
    – Vacuumed carpet, rolled up and tied for moving, vacuumed floor, moved sofa away from alcove, put sofa table back in place
    – Tipped one bed on top of the other, vacuumed all stuff under bed and moved away, removed beds from alcove closer to sofa
    – Vacuumed all walls of alcove (oh the dust!!!) as well as all pictures and fairy lights, wiped picture shelves
    – Washed alcove floor and rinsed, wiped electric cord channels along floor
    – Turned beds 90 degrees, vacuumed beds and put one bed alongside long wall of alcove, the other alongside it

It will continue in the same spirit today, but I doubt I’ll go into this much detail. It’s basically to show that cleaning a small apartment is often a lot trickier and more time-consuming than when there’s more space around each piece of furniture. An important reason for me wishing I’d have more space :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

FATAD March 2012

Very domestic night yesterday, I stayed in and did some clothing maintenance while watching movies. In short:

– removed 6 annoying (scratchy) labels/tags
    – replaced 5 buttons
    – packed up 4 pairs of trousers to have hemmed (I’m no good at hemming) so I can wear them with flats instead of heels
    – repaired two hems
    – mended 3 shirts that had seams coming loose
    – also packed one jacket to drop off for dry cleaning and one pair of shoes to repair
    – collected all loose buttons into one Ziplock bag

FATAD March 2012

We haven’t cleaned our two wood-burning fireplaces since we moved in almost 20 years ago (!) We hardly use them, but still. Got a Groupon offer for deeply discounted cleaning, so bought two vouchers. When we had the roof installed two summers ago, the roofers recommended that we have the mortar on the chimneys re-grouted; these guys can do that as well, and DH might be amenable to having them do it if I present it right. One can hope.

It’s 2 pm and nothing done around the house yet on DH’s day off to work around the house :( One can hope.

FATAD March 2012

It’s now past 6 pm and it doesn’t look like DH is going to get anything done around OUR house. He did spend a few hours at his mother’s mowing HER lawn, which has become WAY out of control. His sister and I keep urging him to hire someone to do that periodically (it’s not that expensive here, she can afford it and the pros have the proper equipment) but he insists on doing it himself. Meanwhile, our yard looks pretty bad. I don’t get it.

He forgot to borrow the car to take the two patio chairs to the MIL’s neighbor so they are still in our garage.

He already lost the instructions to the spiffy leave blower/vacuum/mulcher he asked for and got for Christmas, and I couldn’t figure out how it worked. I made him show me before he took off for his mother’s and spent three hours working on the yard. It’s still a mess, but less of a mess.

Well, back to yard work before it gets dark. Sigh.

Profile photo of pkilmain
    pkilmain

FATAD March 2012

Sort of a tangent, but Susan you reminded me that though I’ve been home all day, I still haven’t taken the laundry upstairs/put it away/remake the bed. :)

FATAD March 2012

Pkilmain, you are forgiven :)

I know I sound whiny, but DH got my hopes up by taking a day off work specifically to do work around the house — concentrating on the outside work. And NOTHING got done. I blocked out the day so that I could work along with him. Misplaced optimism.

On the positive side, he does seem to be making moves — ordering supplies and checking the equipment — to make sure the pool is ready to use once it’s warm enough to swim. That makes me very happy.

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer

FATAD March 2012

I called in to have this address removed from a couple different catalog mailings that were being sent to a previous owner. Have also been sending his mail (mostly magazines and catalogs) back marked Return to Sender, MOVED. It’s been 5 years people, he doesn’t live here anymore! And sent emails/faxes to remove myself from 4 more mailings.

FATAD March 2012

Repotted sage and happy to discover seedlings sprouting :)

Took car in for maintenance and will have to go back to finish after they get the spark plugs in maybe next week. They washed the car for me too :)

pkilmain

FATAD March 2012

It’s fine Susan! I needed the kick in the pants. :) It’s so easy for me to slip into sitting and zoning out. All laundry is away (except the jeans which aren’t quite dry), and the bed is remade. I also made a loaf of bread, so a pretty productive day for one that started slowly….

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Susan, I’ll have my dad come over next week to help with at least some of the fixes that have been waiting for those epiphanies of hubby since summer/fall 2010. I don’t have a problem with airing troubles, so just let it out instead of have it build up inside. Those who disapprove can either say so politely or stay quiet/not pay attention to it in my opinion.

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Susan: I would be frustrated too. However, I have given up ever expecting dh to do anything round the house, so anything which does get done is a bonus :) Then again, he’s not handy and rarely promises to do stuff. Maybe your dh found it easier to fix his mum’s house rather than his own: more of a sense of doing good for someone else? Maybe next time you could pin him down to an actual plan for what he’s going to do? At least your yard is looking better…
    Put the car in for MOT, hopefully they can squeeze it in. I was intending to do it yesterday but dh stole my car and the MOT runs out today. Really I should have been less lazy and done it on Wednesday when I had more time, but I’m suffering with procrastination big-time this week…
    Nearly finished some uni work for a group project. This group has been a right pain to work with, the 2 other members are a right pair of useless, lazy sods who think I’m their mum or something and I have to repeatedly bang their heads together via email. Our project is due Tuesday and then I can finally be rid of them!
    Also hopefully fixed: ds2 has an eye infection and is off school. I got some drops from the pharmacy and have to give them once an hour so I set my phone alarm every hour for the rest of the day. One more thing to do, sigh.

FATAD March 2012

susanintexas,
    Your DH got MY hopes up as well when you said he was taking the day off to ‘see to a few jobs around the house’, I was hoping to see a nice list of checked-off things done!

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Yeah, same as clutterbug22; I really was hoping for the miracle, as well :(

Profile photo of Katha
    Katha

FATAD March 2012

Susan: It totally is not what _you_ should have to be doing – but the obstacle of the lost instruction manual for the leaf blower might be fixable, if the manufacturer has the .pdf as a download. Obviously you know how it works now, but the finer points of maintenance etc. might be useful to know.

I was surprised to even find instructions for my early 1990s answering machine on the internet!

FATAD March 2012

Katha: First thing I dd was looked on the Internet: the manufacturer (Worx) does not have any manuals online. I also googled for it, and although there are some sites that seem to collect, scan and post random manuals, this wasn’t one of them. I agree the manual would be good to have, and will e-mail the manufacturer if it doesn’t turn up soon. I actually have an excellent system for storing manuals — this one slipped under my radar as he was still studying it.

Lottielot: I am working on giving up expectations but it is so very hard for me. I don’t resent him doing things for his mother — she is a nice woman and I do a lot for her myself. I think you are right that he likes being the “good son” — maybe I need to be more effusively appreciative of the things he does do around our house so he gets the same charge out of being the “good husband.” Hmmm . . . .

On the fix-it front — ordered an under the counter pull-down cookbook holder from Amazon. We don’t have much counter space and there’s not room for my Kitchen Aid mixer AND a cookbook. Now that the big kitchen problems are taken care of I am looking at the smaller nagging irritants that need attention.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

FATAD March 2012

4 pairs of trousers dropped off for hemming. Yay!

One shirt miraculously de-stained – also yay!

Approximately 30 CDs reorganized into CD holders and no longer loitering all over the house.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

Made up a batch of laundry soap, hemmed a curtain in the loo. It hides two storage shelves and I wanted it to look better than it did. It does.

FATAD March 2012

Pressure-washed the front path (moldy!) and swept a half bag of sand into the brick path. Much nicer! There seems to be a drainage problem with one section of the path — even the relatively small quantity of water from the pressure washer flooded it there. Will talk to DH about putting in a small drainage channel to siphon it away. It will be impossible to keep the path clean if it continues to flood there.

Profile photo of candy
    candy

FATAD March 2012

Fixed an extension cord to the wall so that it no longer is visible under the curtain. Took me all of 5 minutes (or probably even less). I’m now inspired to go through all my rooms one by one and check for things to fix. All my rooms… ok, all 53 square meters, so it should not take too long :)

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ

FATAD March 2012

Made a much longer post earlier tonight, and it absolutely wouldn’t post. So, briefly, I’ve been back to decluttering but with a view primarily to dealing with certain hot spots, long overdue half completed projects, and things designated for disposal long ago (in some cases, years ago) that never actually left.

In the last couple of days I’ve:
    Cleared off my kitchen counter almost completely (although some things did just get moved to be with other similar things that still need to be gone through)
    Found a home for the steam mop I bought 3-4 months ago (which has been standing in a corner of the bathroom since then)
    Put together a lamp someone bought me for Christmas after my cats broke my old one – at least, partly put it together, as it is somewhat faulty, but I think I can rig something up
    Destroyed the hard drive on my old computer (thanks to Astreja who helped me out with a description of the hard drive so I knew what to focus on). This is probably my longest standing project – the laptop that replaced that computer is almost due for replacement at this point!

I think there were a couple of other little fixes in there too, but those are the highlights!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Removed a fluorescent fixture from my mom’s kitchen, did some minor ceiling repairs, and installed a new ceiling fixture that looks much nicer.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

You all will laugh at me, but I’m so proud of myself for figuring out how to hook up my DVD player today. Before now, someone had always done it for me, always a man, which reinforced the idea that I wouldn’t be able to figure it out myself. And besides, anything electronic intimidates me, what can I say. So my nice Sony DVD player has been in storage for almost two years, and I had been watching DVDs on my laptop until its disc player started acting hinky last month.

But all is good now, and I watched “The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio” tonight. What an amazing true story about Evelyn Ryan and her family of 12… talk about the queen of frugal brilliance!

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

PJ: How did you destroy the hard drive? This is something I need to do on my old laptop. Did you smash it to smithereens?

FATAD March 2012

DH has donned overalls and has been below the floorboards in the back living room (at waist height standing on the foundations, if that makes sense) dragging out soil and rubble. When you take up the floorboards, all you can see (other than pipes which we are not disturbing) is mounds of damp earth. We need to get in to fix one of the pipes, but also, all that earth can’t be helping the dampness in the room. We think that when the extension was built, the previous owner just dumped the earth under the floor. Nice.

So, by the end of today, I am estimating 12 -14 rubble bags (3 bucketfuls in each) of rubble and soil. He did 8 yesterday. Any ‘good soil’ I will unclutter in one of the beds in the garden, as they are a bit low. I am going to focus on laundry while all this dirty work is going on! And gardening in the rain, perhaps. A lovely friend heard of our plans and is already going to the skip/recycling centre so it will be one trip in a car rather than several on a bike, which is very kind.

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Ella: well done for conquering the DVD fear :)
    Fixed: descaled the coffee machine last week
    Working on a monster washing pile
    Got the MOT done on my car and my front tyres were barely legal so I got them both changed, I accidentally haggled the woman down by saying her price was too expensive and I’d shop around and she knocked £80 off instantly. Still expensive but not extortionate and saves me another errand to change them.
    Ds2 had an eye infection on Friday which involved him having the day off school so I had to take him into uni with me, I went to the chemist and got eye drops for his eye and they had to be put in every hour, it was mayhem! I set my phone alarm to go off hourly and that worked ok, albeit I was rushing about like a lunatic getting food and packing things for our camping trip and trying to buy a massive sheet of cardboard for an assignment and and and you get the picture…Anyway, his eye is all fixed now. And I bought 2 smaller sheets of cardboard and will stick them together, I’ve been to 3 shops now and none of them did the bigger size. I’m going for Good Enough.

FATAD March 2012

It ended up being 16 (10 kilo) bags of soil with a bit of rubble mixed in. Our friend decided he could use them in his garden, so they have just disappeared after being loaded into his car!

While all this was going on, I skipped the idea of laundry as there was just too much dirt everywhere, and instead cleaned and reorganised 3 kitchen cupboards.

Profile photo of candy
    candy

FATAD March 2012

Cleaned and put away my ultra-heavy winter boots, they will not be used again before next winter. Also cleaned my second-heaviest pair of winter boots, a pair of 14-eyelets Dr Martens. They will most definitely get used again before next winter. If not due to bad weather (probably more snow mixed with rain coming in next week…) they will be worn at a few concerts. There really is nothing more comfortable for my feet if I need to stand for a couple of hours, even if they are rather warm. Apart from birkenstocks, but I rather prefer something heavier on my feet during a rock concert.

Picked up a pair of flat, comfortable mid-season boots from the cobbler, they needed new soles/heels.

Cleaned the air humidifier, it is now drying and when it’s dry it will be put away in storage until next winter.

Brought a suitcase up from the cellar storage. I have to decide if I’m trying to freecycle it or if I should drag it off to the charity shop. It’s one of those rolling thingies, but it’s quite heavy in itself and too large to use as hand luggage on flights. I have two other light-weight suitcases (one hand luggage, one large) so I don’t need this one.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

put away winter hats and gloves, have left out one scarf for DH Justin Case the weather gets chillier again.

went through a couple of boxes, one of letters from people I love, and found some unimportant photocopies I had obviously shoved in at one point. Tossed those into the recycling bag, and added a Christmas garland and ribbon into the donation bag.

I just posted my very first thing on Craigslist! I’m a bit of a luddite so managing to get photos up and navigating the German language site was a bit time-consuming, but now that’s been done the first time it can’t be too hard to continue.

Now for figuring out freecycle–my first post has to be an offer so I have to figure out how to organize that too.

DH has agreed to selling his iPod (never used, since he promptly got an iPhone afterwards) and his old SLR. The iPod is posted, and now I have to research the going prices for the camera.

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ

FATAD March 2012

Hi @Ella,

If your laptop is still working at all, I think I would go for a more sophisticated option – there are lots of instructions online for how to erase your hard drive. The problem I had was a lack of the cords/cables for the computer, after it’s been floating around for years waiting to be disposed of. But it was, quite frankly, a pain in the neck to get the computer open and get the hard drive out and get it open too. Lots of small screws, requiring no less than 4 different screwdrivers. I actually didn’t succeed in getting it completely open (a stripped screw stymied me) and so had to stick a screwdriver inside through small openings, and bash the screwdriver with a hammer to smash the actual hard drive. I think I did a pretty good job, and I don’t actually think that there’s any sensitive information on it, but will dispose of hard drive separate from the computer just in case.

Bottom line – if you can just erase your hard drive, I’d go that route :-)

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

I took a piece of 2×4 and a scrap of plywood and built an easel of sorts to prop up my old flat screen monitor. (I had prematurely removed the monitor’s stand and pitched it out some time ago when I got a new monitor, as my original intention was to wall-mount it.) Guess what… Turns out I needed the stand after all, when I set up a dedicated work space for scanning documents and photos.

Also started making a table covering from a nice piece of cloth I’d been keeping — Too small to drape elegantly over the edges of the table, but enough to make a nice oval for the top of the table. The rough shape is cut out and being used as a tablecloth while I ponder how to finish it.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

@ Ella: One piece of software that I’ve used to blank hard drives is Darik’s Boot and Nuke (available from http://www.dban.org). You have to burn it to a CD, and then boot the computer using the CD. I used to use a program called Autoclave, which ran off a floppy disk, but it’s old and no longer supported by the author.

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ

FATAD March 2012

Astreja, your availability as tech support is much appreciated!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

FATAD March 2012

Picked up my 4 pairs of hemmed trousers, and wearing one of them today.

Cleaned and polished all my jewelry. Found a very badly tarnished ring I’d had for ages, cleaned it up and decided to start wearing it. It’s amazing what a littl baking soda will do :)

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Dropped off a pair of dh’s work trousers to the dry cleaners. Aired the tent and a load of bedding as the weather is dry and very windy (cold, too!). A few loads of washing to dent the large mountain. Now I really must do some uni work…

Profile photo of PJ
    PJ

FATAD March 2012

Working from home today and thought I’d take a break and nibble at one of the 3 bags of crafty stuff sitting in my dining room. This is mostly stuff from the thrift store – stuff to alter (things like wooden boxes), stuff to alter things with (books to cut up for collage, etc), picture frames, and more. I got caught up in it though, and all three bags are empty, one shelf of my crafty bookshelves more organized, and a small amount of stuff recycled or designated for re-donation.

Not to mention one more clear spot on the floor :-)

I think it was susanintexas who said this in another thread recently, but it bears repeating:

“This really works.”

FATAD March 2012

Finallyfinallyfinally finished altering a boleo jacket for a friend. Had put it off for quite a while, as once you start altering something, it is so tempting to just rip out the entire arm hole and start again re setting the sleeve etc. But that is too much work so I just adjusted the sleeve width and the back of the sleeve, as well as adding a dart at the back. Phew!

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Went to social services yesterday, which meant even more paper work, so once I was back home I printed and copied the necessary documents and mailed them, too. Still haven’t looked at two huge documents for the unemployed stuff, and I should since the clock is ticking. The air went out of the balloon, though, and I’m completely drained from the weekend. On a positive note, I signed up for the entrance exam. I’m just beat and the past couple of days have been rather slow, much more so than I’d like.

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Ninakk: a few early nights :)
    Uncluttered a big uni assignment, a stressful group project. Stressful because the people in my group expected me to organise them and do the work for them. I did the former reluctantly and refused to do the latter. I better get a better mark than them both now, given I did all the preparation work for it…It literally gave me nightmares last night and I got about 4 hours sleep so I’m happy to be finished. Normal life may now resume :) Whatever that is!

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

Astreja: Thanks, I’ll keep that link for future use with my current computer, which isn’t long for this world. But it’s my dead 11-year-old laptop that needs its hard drive destroyed so I can get rid of the thing. It’s stone cold dead and cannot be revived nohow, so I thought it would be best to remove and smash the hard drive. Will a heavy hammer do the job adequately?

Profile photo of Northshore
    Northshore
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

This is what I did with a couple old hard drives after they had been removed from their cases. First I zapped them with the old bulk tape demagnitizer that DH had. Storing a drive with any strong magnet would mess up the HD somewhat. Then I unscrewed everything I could and ended up with a circuitboard attached with a flat tape-like connector to the actual hard drive. I couldn’t get the hard drive open so I disconnected and cut that flat cable and then used an old chisel and a hammer to smash the pins. An old screwdriver would work also. I took a couple stabs at the circuit board and probably wrecked that too. I am sure a committed technician could still get at some of the data but I figured I had made it difficult enough to discourage the average criminal.

If you know someone with a drill press, you could ask him/her to drill a hole through the metal case that holds the actual drive.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Four library books returned, bank account stuff sorted out partly.

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

FATAD March 2012

Started on my balcony bench cushions, as i have to find tasks i can do while sitting.
    Fixed the back of one of our balcony chairs. That required weaving clothesline on to metal frame and was a pain to do, but i managed and it looks Ok too.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Did some decent bathroom cleaning although half is still undone. Couldn’t take more today so will continue another day.

F’ing fur beetles, though. Found yet another one in the bathroom just now and refuse to have the house management do nothing again, because there is clearly a source somewhere in the house. My whole body is itching and it’s really grossing me out.

Profile photo of T
    T

FATAD March 2012

@Ella, I’m always glad to hear of people liking Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio — I have a family member who worked on that film and I think the story and film are fantastic.

I made a list of Spring Cleaning tasks and had the woman who cleans my house help me get started; we got up enough momentum that I’m continuing to make progress. So far:
    -Washed all washable curtains (and one dryclean only set of drapes that shrunk… might be ATAD if they don’t stretch out); vacuumed some valences; wiped walls/window sills behind curtains (eww!)
    -vacuumed fridge coils, cleaned inside fridge
    -cleaned inside all medicine cabinets (after I tossed 4+ pounds of junk!)
    -washed the dust ruffles on the two beds that have them
    -scrubbed the floor under the kitchen radiator (not as bad as I expected!)
    -and I can’t remember the rest, and the list is downstairs.

What are your key spring cleaning (or fall cleaning, for those in the southern hemisphere) tasks? I have looked at various website lists but appreciate hearing your tips.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Arranged for pest guy to come on Monday to kill anything that is not supposed to share my living space with me. I.hate.bugs.and.my.scalp.itches.from.the.mere.thought.of.the.plague. Kitty has to be moved somehow, since there can’t be anyone in the flat for two hours.

Also sorted a holy mess re:internet, but it should be working according to agreement as per today though. Have sent about ten emails and made numerous phone calls; rather costly mess.

Made a proper meal plan again and have a nice overview of what there is in fridge, freezer and pantry; cruicial when budgeting right now.

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

FATAD March 2012

Finished cushions for balcony bench and chairs. Not completely but just about. All i need to do still is sow on the tie-on bands to the cushions and i’m set for spring and summer eating al fresco, and using my laptop while getting my legs tanned (Vit D).

While turning around the mattresses, (a three times a year event) found a pair of reading glasses and though slightly bent- fixed that- now have “another” spare. I think i now have one for each room in this place and still i misplace them! How those got under the mattress baffles me.

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

a kitchen bulb was finally replaced.
    the new home theatre system was hooked up with an average amount of aggravation. but at least it is done,
    and we have lovely sound now.
    it generated an insane amount of packaging, but everything is broken down into recyclables. and we like the cardboard for putting beneath the mulch.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Amazing what 30 minutes can allow for stuff to get done! Cleared the kitchen table (cheated a bit and moved some things to other places until they go to hubby or basement sell pile), wiped dust off of it and the chairs. Wiped tv unit, sofa table and window sill thingy. Cleared and wiped half of kitchen countertops (YES!!! finally see the black again). Put miscellaneous stuff into their homes. Dusted bag which sis will borrow for her upcoming trip. Made coffee and will now fetch it, then drink and take a breather. Before the blizzard I had started washing dishes and will continue after surfing for a few minutes. Sis is coming over for dinner in the evening and don’t feel like feeling ashamed of the state of the place; good incentive to get things cleaned, guests I mean!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

Got a couple of pairs of shoes resoled, tested DH’s camera to make sure it’s in good working order so I can sell it.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

Oops, double post

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Tidied up all the crap on the dining table, we have guests tomorrow for lunch and a babysitter tonight as we’re going out. I also cleaned the kitchen well, put all the clean dry bedding and camping gear back in the van and have hung out the other half to air in nice weather tomorrow. It poured when we went camping last week so everything was a bit mildewy. Now the lounge is clear, I can tidy there a bit and most of the house is ‘company ready’. It only actually took about half an hour, maybe this uncluttering business is helping, lol :)
    Now I’m off on a mission to find and replace 3 light bulbs.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

I don’t know if this qualifies as a fix but I took DC outside into the courtyard today and trimmed her nails–all 4 feet–and brushed her until I had enough hair to craft another cat.
    DC has officially declared shedding season to be open; it must be spring.

I’m happy she loves to be tended to. She starts moaning and writhing when the claw scissors come out because she’s been trained that she gets a reward brushing after and she goes mental for a brushing. She’s got a VERY loud OWEN MEANY voice for such a small creature and I am always a bit nervous about what it sounds like to the neighbours when she starts moaning at a gazillion decibels.

pkilmain

FATAD March 2012

Finally hemmed the pants I got in exchange for the ugly/too big PJs. I had pinned them a couple weeks ago, and in less than 1/2 hour they were the right length to wear.

djk – our cats are pretty well trained for having their nails cut – the older one just resigns herself, the younger we have to do a paw, take a break, do another paw, etc. The older one will stand being brushed, but of course, she is the short hair. The younger, who has masses of soft fur (which mats easily) HATES to be brushed. I really need to have her back end shaved and get all the mats out, but I hate to anesthesize her for that, so I just work away at them any time I can get her in a mellow enough mood (she’s a biter when irritated).

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

Yikes, that’s a lot of work with the longhair! Our puss lives for human contact (she’s lying across my neck right now and I’m straining around her bulk so I can see my phone screen:) and will do anything if it means snuggling and stroking and that special tone that reaffirms her sovereignty in our universe

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Fixed up my office this evening.

– Assembled my new desk.

– Cleaned a lot of dust bunnies and crud off the floor.

– Wall-mounted 2 speakers, and redid all the audio wiring. The speaker wires are now running along the wall; before, one wire was going under the old desk and I kept yanking it loose with my foot.

– Wall-mounted my wireless router.

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer

FATAD March 2012

Removed the piece of my office lamp that needs replacing. It’s in my purse for tomorrow.

After 3 days of funky mystery smell in my house, I discovered a dead/rotting mouse under the sofa last night. Thank you kitties, UGH! But all cleaned up, and no more smell. I’m calling that a fix.

FATAD March 2012

Tidied up the garden today – weeded borders, put rubble from last weekend’s DIY project into large bin to take to skip, tidied up long bamboo sticks with string to lean against fence to block a gap, and ‘planted’ an iron grille (as posted in ATAD) on opposite side to screen from the other neighbours. Makes me sound anti-social, but am just trying to make it a bit more private!

Jennifer, that is definitely a fix.

Profile photo of T
    T

FATAD March 2012

Am counting as my FATADs the returning of a library book and the mailing of one summery camp registration for DS#1. Several more of those to go, but this is the main one to have done by now.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

lol Jennifer you didn’t like their gift! How ungrateful;)

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Big FATAD today — I washed my mom’s kitchen ceiling, finished patching the screw holes left over from the old fluorescent fixture, and painted the ceiling.

I’d have no trouble getting a seniors’ discount today, as the hair on the top of my head has turned profoundly white from several (low-velocity) collisions with the freshly painted ceiling.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

New battery in my old wristwatch, out of use for 6 years. I wasn’t sure it would still work, but yay! I also want a new watch band, but the size I need won’t be in stock until Tuesday, so I’ll go back then. The current leather band is all cracked and gross.

FATAD March 2012

Took 2 DVD’s back for a refund – was buying a dvd for ds’s friend’s birthday but wasn’t sure which one he’d like and couldn’t get hold of his mum in time to ask, so bought a few cheap ones, found out later which one he’d like and returned the others.
    Took back 2 pairs of shoes bought for dd after her ‘friend’ had wrecked her school shoes. Similar type of scenario as above plus she’s inbetween sizes at some shops hence buying of more than one size.
    Mended 2nd novelty pencil-sharpener of ds’s!
    Took thank you card round to dd’s teacher.
    Fixed loose door handle.
    Washed 2 rooms worth of net curtains as it is a lovely spring day today to dry them and to start some Spring Cleaning!

FATAD March 2012

Oh, and scrubbed the bathroom tiles to get rid of any mould and washed the windows on one side of the flat as well.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Kitty spent a few hours at hubby’s place while I was relocated temporarily to sister’s place during the killing of bugs. I may have imagined it, but felt like a headache was arriving as soon as I stepped inside, so kept the balcony door and windows as well as the front door open for about half an hour to get proper draught created. Luckily there are no nuts roaming the staircase here and the neighbours are fairly normal as well. The guy who gassed the place was friendly albeit a bit scary with his gas mask, almost like out of a film or something.

Returned books and magasines to the library (Ella, you inspired me to wake up and admit to over-checking out litterature!). Did some other important stuff too.

FATAD March 2012

Cleaned window frames, ironed and hung net curtains in 2 rooms. That’s that done for another year!

Profile photo of grey
    grey

FATAD March 2012

h reattached the handrails in the stairwell and i taped off the last section of trim that needs to be painted. could have the painting all done today if i felt that ambitious…

also measured for curtains and shelf brackets since i plan to shop for both at ikea next week while we’re on holidays!

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Closed a bank account, mailed some paper, went shopping at a grocery store where I go very seldom but needed some stuff they don’t have at the usual one. Helped mom figure out what the problem was with her all-in-one printer (yeah, Canon, you guessed it).

FATAD March 2012

Reporting back – was it Ella and ninakk that suggested either vinegar or baking to get the mildew stink out of a wooden tallboy?

I tried baking soda (less potential for spillage) and can report that it worked! Definitely much less stinky…

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

That reminds me of what I used on the damp west coast of BC in my wardrobe: charcoal. Bought a bag and divvied it up into cheesecloths, secured with rubber bands, and dropped these little sachets around everywhere to absorb damp and odours. I also read on Pinterest recently that bundles of chalk work similarly to those little silicone gel packets you get in shoeboxes (which I keep and re-use. Haven’t tried the chalk trick yet though.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

Got a new expandable band for my Swiss Army wristwatch, and the watch guy adjusted it perfectly. I hate it when a watchband rubs or slips around. But I wore this all day and barely felt it. This will be my gym watch… a nice big clear face and ticking second hand, so I can read it without needing to put on my glasses.

FATAD March 2012

The chimney sweeps came yesterday and fulfilled my Groupon for cleaning and inspecting both fireplaces. Two nice young men. As expected, there is damage to the fireplace in the living room — the roofers told us about it two years ago, but we weren’t in a rush as we don’t really use them. However, the damage will just get worse — so — DH agrees we will have them repair the fireplaces and make some changes (better chimney caps, sealant etc.) that will keep them in good nick. $2,000. Ouch! Will call this morning to schedule.

DH is making plans to get work done on MIL’s house. I’m glad he’s getting it fixed, but am a little concerned about the time it will take. I’m not really excited about spending the summer at her house supervising workmen, plus to have her interior painted will involve DAYS of moving stuff around. I hope he’s scheduling time off work :)

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Rang the plumber, he’s ringing back tonight.
    Rang the gardener about the turfing and decking, he’s coming Friday.
    Picked up dh’s dry cleaning.
    Bought new tax disc online.
    Bought new sports bra and running top.
    I’m on a roll! Finally unstuck, yesterday I felt like I could barely get out of bed, horrible psychological paralysis :(

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Susan: I think you need to share your expectations with your dh :)

pkilmain

FATAD March 2012

Today is the day my DH is taking the toilet apart. I’m so glad I’m going to be out – there will be a lot of what we call “plumbing language” going on. The toilet has been flushing slowly, stopping up, and in general not performing its one function well over the past few weeks. We’ve tried plunging, snake/auger, and even chemicals. So after consulting a few of his guy friends, today he’s taking it off the base to see if there is something that’s mechanically impeading a fast, smooth flush. Hopefully when I return all will be back in working order. :)

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

In addition to the new watch band and battery, I asked the watch guy for an estimate to buff out the scratches on the stainless steel bezel… $95 and he’d have to send it out. Eek! So last night I tested my own buffing skills with a bit of Bar Keepers Friend on a Q-tip. I did a fairly decent job of it… reduced the appearance of the scratches by about 70 percent I’d say. Good ol’ BKF, what great stuff.

Profile photo of T
    T

FATAD March 2012

Folded and put away 4 loads of laundry and did one more (in dryer now)… life is better when the laundry is out of baskets and back in drawers/closets!

I also started digging through the ‘file me’ pile for tax-related documents and found most of what is critical. Now I need to get it all organized for the accountant… not looking forward to this, but DH promised to help me this year. Usually I do it, willingly (he does plenty of other household management tasks) but this year I need us to tackle tax prep together.

Glad to read about watch projects… I have a watch in need of a battery and probably a fresh strap… may try to get to that this weekend!

pkilmain

FATAD March 2012

Well, toilet repair has moved on to a new toilet, being installed as I type. We’ve had the other one for over 40 years, so I guess it doesn’t owe us anything. I’m staying out of the way (as requested) in hopes that it all goes well. Like bandicoot, we have only one bathroom!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

More a maintenance task than a fix, but I took the car in for an oil change today.

FATAD March 2012

Made an appointment for the chimney repairs — they come in a month.

Forgot to mention that my printer toner cartridge went kaput. Ordered a new one, it came quickly, and even included a pre-paid mailer to send the old cartridge back to recycle. Got it in the mail same day.

Spoke to DH about the repairs he is getting ready to schedule for his mother’s house. Made it clear (I think) that I do not intend to devote the next three moths of my life to this and that he needs to coordinate with me before he schedules anything that requires my presence. We’ll see — sometimes he hears what he wants to hear.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

pkilmain, many people have just one bathroom :) Glad you’ll be able to use yours shortly!

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

pkilmain, my fingers are crossed for a smooth installation at your house!
    i know just how it feels.

the glass and mirror man came today while we were out.
    we came home to an installed shower screen of clear glass which really looks as though it is just suspended in air: a lovely light uncluttered effect…..and a window into the shower from the main room, of obsure glass…..and a really gigantic mirror which runs from the top of the vanity to what feels like the roof!
    tomorrow, the vanity should be ready to install ; that is pretty much the bathroom finished, apart from tiles in the “outer” bathroom.
    the excitement is palpable!

i shall spend the weekend cleaning the construction dust out of bedroom and office (the kitchen and living room are unscathed) and next week, i have booked the cleaner to wash all the walls, to catch any lingering dust.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Phew, I haven’t vacuumed/dusted either in a long time, but since Thursday supposedly is my cleaning day – or so my Bento checklists tell me, whoever wrote those things – I’m trying to get all the five stars that I can get for a day. Have washed one machine load and a couple more are waiting. Kitchen still needs the touch of a caring hand, but I won’t make it too thorough today due to some other things in need of catching up as well. It’s a lovely day with birdies singing outside, the snow melting in the sunshine/occasional overcast and kitty preferring the balcony over indoors increasingly every day; makes it easier to get the chores done.

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD March 2012

@susanintexas: is “kaput” one of those words like “to schlepp” and “to putz”? sounds very familiar to me :)

FATAD March 2012

Mimi, “went kaput” means died, broke, wore out, kicked the bucket, etc :)

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD March 2012

dmo3, thank you! :) i just asked because susan uses a lot of words that have german/ dutch roots, “kaput” translated to german is “kaputt” ;) sometimes it´s quite easy to translate, e.g.: “my telephone is kaput – mein telefon ist kaputt”.

FATAD March 2012

Mimi: all four of my grandparents were German immigrants . I come by it naturally.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Ach, dann heisst Du ja Susanne zu Hause :)

Eta: finished the light filter frame and it is awesome, exactly what i needed!

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

The remaining heaps of old raggedy towels have now been washed in hot water and bleach, and are ready for donation to the animal hospital.

FATAD March 2012

today I finished fixing the rest of the branches on the “new” vintage aluminum christmas tree that I bought in december and started fixing in january the day before I stopped walking. The box has been sitting by the sofa ever since. Now all the branches are retaped and the box has been stored away.

Also peeled and pulled a football size wad of duct tape off my walker frame. My youth group kids “decorated” my frame, but I cannot store it in a sweltering hot attic covered in sticky tape.

Plan to try to replace the disabled toilet seat with the regular one tomorrow.

pkilmain

FATAD March 2012

Yay, new toilet is fully functional!

FATAD March 2012

I’m going to count this as a fix. Found a second scrapbook I can live with — a little smaller than the other one, but it will work. Cut the pages to fit. Finished filling the first book — one year left! Should get it done by the end of the weekend.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Have continued to tag in Leap and tackled some of the company receipts this morning. The company bookkeeping doesn’t seem as daunting anymore.

FATAD March 2012

Taped up the gap between the floorboards and skirting board in the back bedroom with wide masking tape. The smell of cigarette smoke and weed leaks through from next door. While unloading the books from the bookcase (will go through tomorrow as I replace them and expect to purge a few), I had to take a break on the landing as the smell was making me nauseous. Did this in the front bedroom previously and it has made a big difference, hopefully will get the same result there too.

FATAD March 2012

Successfully removed the disabled toilet seat and replaced it with the normal seat – wouldn’t have thought I could do that only 8 weeks or so after back surgery.

While I was down there, I got the bathroom floor and baseboards clean. After that I was wiped out for the rest of the day – pfft!

Taxes tomorrow.

FATAD March 2012

@SecretSquirrel – eww! I’ve had to share walls many times, but never had that particular problem. Does it make your possessions smell or just the air?

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD March 2012

Secret Sqirrel: My sympathies! In my apartment building, every two units are mirror images of each other. They share a common ventilation pipe, and the kitchen sinks drain into a common water pipe. The day I moved in, I had to immediately seal off the air vent because my next-door neighbor’s smoke came right in here. That means I get no fresh air unless I open the window. Unfortunately, the neighbor downstairs sits smoking by his open window and it drifts up into mine. The one odd thing I couldn’t figure out is why my kitchen sometimes smelled of smoke. Then I realized it was coming up through the drain from next door! So now I have to keep the sink firmly plugged, too. Smoking is evil!

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

lifekeepshappening… i know that feeling of success when one can do away with the disabled toilet seat!
    last weekend, i gave away the wheelchair too.
    i had been hanging onto it, using it in the workshop….but i don’t need it now.
    it has gone to an elderly friend of my parents who really needs it.

no fixes today around here, but all rugs are rolled up to go to the commercial laundry in the city for cleaning tomorrow.
    i want that construction dust gone!

FATAD March 2012

@Ella, commiserations. I think smoke has a way of finding the non smokers, yuck. I also cannot open our bedroom window as next door’s smoke will just blow in. Have had good results with opening the back room window, which is separated from next door by an extension, and running a Dyson fan (very quiet but effective) in the bedroom.

@lifekeepshappening, I can’t really smell it on my clothes like I can in the room but am sure the smell hangs on everything. Hopefully the tape will trap it now. I am also going to get an essential oil / sticks diffuser in there to clear the niff.

FATAD March 2012

One of the three halogen bulbs in my month-old kitchen overhead light burned out. We are VERY conscientious about turning out lights, and this is not a good sign. The little buggers cost about $3 apiece. I’m hoping it’s an fluke. Bought a three-pack of new bulbs and changed it.

Bought some nice mulch and will mulch the front yard flower beds tomorrow. More mulch=less weeding + less watering.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

When packing up after a band concert this evening, I got too enthusiastic while pulling the cleaning swab through my clarinet and got it severely stuck in the upper joint of the instrument.

Rather than wrestle with it at the concert site, I finished taking the instrument apart, packed it up and took it home with the cloth still stuck in the bore. After a souvlaki skewer failed to push the swab back down, I decided to cut it out, piece by piece. I used scissors to cut away everything still on the outside, then used my teeth, a very small crochet hook and a blade-style stitch ripper to cut and pull out bits of fabric until it was able to move freely again. I also put the clarinet back together to make sure I didn’t hurt anything, and it’s fine.

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

ok, huge clean-up effort here this afternoon, after being caught in humiliatingly hideous grime and disarray by drop-in visitors (not one lot, but two, zomg!) this morning….which i usually love.

entire bedroom/bathroom….which is pretty much half of the house…..has been cleansed of construction dust.
    bookcase and tallboy have been relocated, dusted and polished.
    i haven’t reloaded the books yet….that is for a day next week, when i am completely happy with the bookcase location.
    all furniture has been polished.
    three rugs have been unrolled, beaten, vacuumed, laid out.
    i moved the lamp and a picture on an easel.
    i have a vase of fresh flowers, a scented candle, and some essential oils burning.
    it feels lovely for the first time in over a month.

tomorrow i have a list of small but vital jobs for the builder….replace door stop, move toothbrush holder up a little, convert grundtal over-door hooks to wall hooks and hang behind the door on the new wall, exchange grotty old bedroom door handle for newer handle salvaged from now-gone bathroom door, put in a hook for hairdryer, give me a quote for skirting boards around entire room and office.
    details! details!

FATAD March 2012

Got back from a vacation Friday night and despite staying at an all-inclusive resort, both husband and I lost weight. (Diving up to three times a day and lugging the necessary equipment around will do that to you.) Very pleased by that — now to keep it off…:)

At any rate, we’d both agreed on the plane that we would not have half unpacked bags standing around for ages this time and managed to unpack almost everything yesterday, including all the diving gear (hung up to dry on the terrace in the sun and later stowed away properly).

Today I managed to deal with all the important mail (bills etc.) accumulated during our absence, pay everything that needs to be paid etc., so I can start work tomorrow with a clear desk. Feeling pretty good about that.

Other than that, it has turned spring here while we were gone. Saw a brimstone butterfly yesterday and a black redstart today while playing in the garden with the cats. Life is good.

FATAD March 2012

My sympathies to all the people with cigarette smoke invading their homes. That’s really horrible. The “worst” smelling neighbour I ever had was an Indian family who made the whole hallway smell like spices. Nothing wrong with that except it made me hungry all the time…

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Although it’s only March 18, I’ve begun the cleanup of my yard. One bag of leaves is already raked up, and I also redistributed a small pile of crushed limestone left over from the construction of my garage last year.

FATAD March 2012

Thank you, @Littlecloud. Reporting back on the masking tape (between gap in skirting board and floorboards), it seems to be working.

DH attempted to fix more of the soil heaped under the floor in the back sitting room, by bringing out a further 6 buckets, this time used on the garden (rather than as passed to a friend last time). The garden was lacking a bit in soil but that’s all that is needed now, so any further lads will need to go to the tip. Think that should reduce the damp on the walls in that room (with no soil piled up underneath the floor etc). Whilst this was going on, I put in some new plants, repotted a few others and did some general clearing up.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Worked on a lightbox today because some of the jewellery reflects ridiculous amounts of stuff including a black eye of the camera, sometimes even kitchen cupboards… Will have to work a bit more on it but it seems like it can be a helpful tool. Need better photos for Etsy and elsewhere for sure.

FATAD March 2012

Fixed an overflowing toilet, fixed the gap in my teenage son’s knowledge about how to plunge a toilet, fixed the gap in my daughter’s knowledge about how much toilet paper is too much for 1916 era plumbing, fixed the gap in my teenage son’s knowledge about The Person Who Plunges Is Often Not The Person At Fault.

Also relocated the Christmas decorations and got my taxes done (disappointingly I was $388 over where I needed to be and lost $4000 in tax return as a result). Pfft!

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD March 2012

nina, there is an ikeahack for a light box, look: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/02/photography-light-box.html

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

thanks, Mimi, it’s a bit large for my needs, but gave me a couple of ideas anyway!

I got a reply from social services with denial of my application based on some wrong numbers. Had to update some crap and will send it back today still. I had some thingies I could sell for all of 450€ and she had interpreted it as a grand fortune of almost 2000€, because she’s too dumb to read and understand. The grand amount of 450€ was used up immediately a couple of weeks ago in the payment of grand normal bills, which were grandly overdue in a few cases. And a loan from my parents of 250€ for food etc. was interpreted as grand fortune as well. “Yes, but we have applications come in from people having 2000€ in their bank accounts”. I have less than 20€. f.u.

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

a fix of sorts:
    what to do with a solid teak tv stand that simply isn’t the right shape or size to do the job?
    now that i have all this rooooom free, i have placed it at the foot of the bed, where it can store rolled up blankets/ throws/ bed covers on it’s shelf and candles and essential oils in it’s drawers. i never know where to keep candles and eos and i use them a lot.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

bandicoot, i’d also want some permanent place if i had a larger bedroom with room for such a piece of furniture. it always looks so smart in pictures with some bench or such at the foot of the bed. glad it worked out well!

forgot to say i made a user profile at the electricity company for monitoring usage. good grief, i think i might become a stalker of my info… it’s fun and scary at the same time, and i keep racking my brain re last week’s spikes; what on earth did i do that ate so much? aaah, vacuumed! and at that hour? aaaaaah, used the oven. silly me.

FATAD March 2012

ninakk, my electric bill was huge this month, and seemed to be huge last month according to my own spreadsheet. I couldn’t understand it, because it’s winter and we are using gas heating (also a huge bill even though we only heat upstairs). When I went online, I looked and looked, trying to find out what we are doing to cause such large bills.

Finally I figured out that I did not pay last month’s electric bill due to my surgery! The electric company did not send me an email or letter or turn off my electricity.

The number I had put into my spreadsheet for last month’s electricty turned out to be this month’s gas bill.

Too many painkillers making me not know what I’m doing.

FATAD March 2012

Bandicoot: perfect!
    Ninakk: persist.
    Lifekh: thank goodness for small miracles. Probably the last thing you would have needed was to have the electricity go out on you.

My fix this weekend — DH and I got the raised vegetable beds turned over. I pulled the last of the weeds (we had mulched, so not too horrible) and he turned everything over with a fork. We had added a lot of compost last year and the soil looks rich, loamy and wormy. We have notoriously poor soil here — chalky, with decomposed limestone called caliche — but the beds look like they will grow anything.

We’ve already bought our tomatoes, jalapenos and basil and will plant them this afternoon. Decided to put in cucumbers as well, so I will buy them today.

FATAD March 2012

Susan, you are tempting me to plant something this year. My plan was simply to keep the weeds down and reseed bits of the front lawn that we reclaimed from weedy and empty flower beds. Some zucchini would be so nice this year.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

FATAD March 2012

We’ve had a beautiful spring weekend, so I was inspired to get some spring cleaning done:

– cleaned and put away all winter coats, boots, hats, gloves, scarves
    – swapped out winter clothes for summer clothes and did all the ironing (so much ironing!)
    – changed the bedsheets and duvet to lighter ones
    – ran all the blankets and throws through a dryer cycle to get the cat hair off, and they’re going into storage as soon as I get home
    – got my sandals out, wore them, felt deeply ashamed of myself when I saw the state of my feet, and gave myself a pedicure

On an unrelated note, I also revisited my router’s security settings and kicked out 2 neighbours that had somehow weaseled their way into our wireless. Hopefully that’ll solve our recent problems of going over our bandwidth, because I certainly don’t think it’s all our doing…

FATAD March 2012

Anita: good reminder about the router settings.

Today’s fixes:
    (1) Canceled the order for the under-the-counter cookbook holder I bought from Amazon. It was scheduled to arrive 11 days ago and has not appeared. Because it was a 3rd party seller it was complicated — All Amazon can do is send me a refund, and if it ever appears I have to return it. 1/2 hour chat with Victor to take care of that.
    (2) I have a tire that keeps going low — not flat, just a warning light. DH is on his way to service station to have it looked after.

FATAD March 2012

update: there was a small nail in the tire. $10 to get it fixed. Yeah!

FATAD March 2012

Polished up 2 silver lockets – now ready to wear
    Filed some emails and Favourites.
    Got some photos printed of my dad to put in lockets, one to give to Mum when see her soon. Cut them out and put them in, they look good!

FATAD March 2012

Weeded and de-leafed the front “hell strip.” The recent rains made the soil soft, so easy to pull weeds. Mulched it. The flowering plants are bursting with bloom — looks lovely. Another bag of mulch to spread in the front, on the beds next to the house. The other two will go into the back. We’ll need to get more mulch for the back yard one the larkspur are done blooming, but that won’t be for a few weeks yet.

FATAD March 2012

Bought an essential oils pot with reeds for the back bedroom. Operation De-Stink completed! Hopefully the cigarette smell won’t reappear.

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

The landscape gardener turned up :) Even better, dh was home so was able to tell him the exact requirements so I can’t get the blame if it’s not exactly what he wants :)

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Oh yes, and I ordered all my vegetable seeds today, filled some forms in to take the kids out of school the last day of term, had a GP appointment, did some work for my teaching job, did 3 loads of washing and started my project write-up. I have my mojo back at last!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Assembled 1 of 2 shelving units for the bedroom. Once they’re both done, I can begin removing the last of the wire shelves on the bedroom wall, and start prepping the wall for painting.

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

wheeee!
    the lovely builder has been for the final time.
    a few hooks installed and the door stopper put in.
    and and and
    i asked him if he had a few minutes to fix a door in our workshop, that has been terribly hard to close for the last few years.
    in fifteen minutes, it is like new.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

that’s wonderful news, bandicoot!!! I can’t even begin to imagine what it’s been like with all the concrete dust and non-functional areas. Have you documented the process? Will you share before and afters with us somewhere? I’m very happy you’ll have back your home now. And the door of your workshop just made me laugh; it’s typical how some things just hang forever until they get done in one go :)

eta:
    oh, you added some photos already! sorry *blush*

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Sorted papers and went through finances as well as some other bureaucracy for a couple of hours. It was sailing real bad but now likes are with likes at least and I do know which tasks are the critical ones, too. Will take care of an expiring one later today.

Vacuumed and dusted, washed a normal load, went through winter clothing and washed a wool load. Sorted two more wool loads for washing tomorrow since I don’t have but one drying rack right now. Don’t know whether there’s any point in buying a second one as the extreme washing sessions arrive only a few times a year and the rack itself makes using the bathroom more of a pain.

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

Fixed: my iPhone and dh’s iPad. Well, both replaced actually, the iPad was in warranty and the iPhone was easier to replace than to get fixed. The lovely chaps at the Apple store were very efficient and helpful :)
    I also bought most of the kids’ birthday presents as they have birthdays soon. Some of the presents are replacements, stuff I would have bought anyway, like a new lunch bag for ds2 and some new t-shirts. They are both quite happy with these sorts of presents, luckily :) I find not buying them new things very often means they appreciate it when they do get them, even if a new T-shirt isn’t top of their wish list. I’m also going to buy them vouchers, too, iTunes for ds2 so he can buy apps, and Amazon so ds1 can buy some Kindle books. Nice and easy, I’m hoping to persuade them both of either no parties or minimalistic 2 friend ones this year.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Fairly major fix that I had been dreading, because I didn’t want to fall off the Internet and have to phone Tech Support if I blew it:

Got my wireless router properly configured to connect to my ISP. No longer limited to 1 computer straight out to the Internet; I can now have Meaningful Conversations (and file transfers) among 3rd floor Linux box, wireless laptop, and my Windows system.

FATAD March 2012

Picked up and hung the re-framed picture that fell of the kitchen wall and shattered. Looks great! Had it re-framed in black rather than brown wood and now it matches the rest of the stuff on the wall.

Made a trip to the nursery and picked up some plants to fill in empty spaces, plus cucumbers. Yum. Will plant this afternoon. Also spread another bag of mulch this morning. Will read a bit to give lunch time to digest then go out and plant and mulch some more. And weed. Always weeding.

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

I took a trip to the garden centre, bought some plants for specific areas of the garden. Eyed up some big pots for putting near the office once the decking is done. Hopefully I’ll have time to plant stuff tomorrow, I want to do the windiwboxes and get the seeds started at least.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Detached a wire shelf from the bedroom wall. 2 more to go, and then I can fill the screw holes and paint the room.

On my Windows system, moved the virtual memory pagefile to a different hard drive to see if that makes the system more stable. So far, so good…

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Yesterday I washed two wool loads, washed most of the mountain of dishes, and took care of various small tasks. Like using pen and paper still, so started writing an “empty the head” list of everything that needs to get done at home, organised per area; don’t want to spend precious study time cleaning, but still want to get something done on a regular basis. Got half the entryway stuff written down and fell asleep :)

Today the washing machine is washing happily again.

Eta:
    Forgot to mention I took an unused brown picture frame, which fits with the things in one kitchen corner, to make into a menu picture of. Cleaned the glass and cut out some kraft gift wrap to the same size as the back. I’ll write on the glass with removable marker the week’s lunches and dinners, because I tend to not stick to them or forget if they are in Bento only. Tried using a calendar with monthly view, which was a gift, but the daily squares were too small so into recycling it went. Will report back how it works in a week or so.

FATAD March 2012

Cleaned half of the kitchen ceiling, amazing how steam and dust merge together to make it grimy. Had to stop half way as arms were aching!
    Washed sofa covers.
    Sent off 3 greetings cards.
    Enroled kids into a club, been meaning to do that for a couple of months, just in time for them to go on a club trip organised for tomorrow!

Profile photo of badkitti
    badkitti

FATAD March 2012

Put copper tapr round my pots so slugs and snails won’t eat my plants this year. Generally tidied back yard

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

we are having an infestation of rainforest cockroaches thanks to all the rain.
    gigantic shiny brown things, as long as your thumb.
    this morning i opened and emptied kitchen drawers, killed every cockroach i could catch, washed everything (silver, teatowels, dish cloths, napkins), replaced clean paper, sprayed crawly cruncher everywhere, dried and olded everything, returned it to drawers.
    hopefully that has slowed them down.
    at least they can’t get into our food.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

More computer-tweaking mayhem chez moi. Installed some printer and video drivers and overclocked the system *ever* so slightly.

FATAD March 2012

Phew, Bandicoot, at least we don’t have those in dear Old Blighty!
    Think that definitely counts as your ATAD for today!

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

they are revolting, and very tropical!
    we’d have fewer if we screened doors and windows (they simply fly in) but we just don’t live like that.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Assembled the other shelving unit that I bought on Wednesday, and wrote a ferocious letter to the hardware store where I bought these — I ran into innumerable problems putting these things together, including a cut on my finger when I ran it along the edge of a shelf.

The units look okay at a first-glance level, but I’m never buying that brand again.

FATAD March 2012

Ouch! Astreja,
    btw, Well Done on your computer tweaking, I’m a bit of a computer scaredy-cat, there’s no way that I’ll touch any buttons on the computer unless I know exactly what it does. It’s the not being able to get it back to how it was if I press the wrong button/click on the wrong task that worries me. I say this with authority, my ds has turned the screen to 90 degree viewing about 3 times since we’ve had this laptop (so that you have to use/read the laptop like a book if you know what I mean). Goodness knows what button he pressed, plus he pressed something else and the screen wouldn’t go on another time. We’ve managed to sort it out but it’s so frustrating and time-consuming. So well done, I’d be on the edge of my seat fiddling about with the computer like you do!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

@clutterbug22: I’m still having fun trying to figure out what’s wrong with my Windows 7 computer, but I do seem to slowly be making progress. I strongly suspect I have a rogue program or device driver that activates shortly after startup, as I can log on but then have the mouse and keyboard go suddenly dead on me.

I’m currently running as “Safe Mode with Networking” and the system is behaving properly (although everything on the screen is huge due to the video driver in use). This adds further weight to the hypothesis that there’s a bad driver or program causing the system to freeze up.

In other FATAD news, over at my mom’s place I painted the niche in the kitchen where the fridge lives. Also replaced some doorway trim that got demolished when the delivery crew hauled away her previous fridge. The trim I came up with is a pretty close match, and I also found paint in a shade of green that is virtually identical to the old trim. I’ll have to give it a second coat, but it’s looking good.

lottielot

FATAD March 2012

My FATAD is a bunch of to-dos: some are done and others will be done by the end of the day
    Ironed 10 of dh’s work shirts
    Passport forms filled in, it’s taking much too long and is bugging me. Dh can get someone at work to sign ds1’s form
    Renew family rail card, need it to go to London in the holidays
    Enter a 10k/fun run for the kids
    Download assignments for marking, some people have submitted early so I can get started
    Empty out the car boot ready for our holiday packing
    There is more but I’m trying to be realistic!

bandicoot

FATAD March 2012

i have washed, dried and rolled a bunch of various textiles we use as throws and blankets, and stored them in their new home : a repurposed teak tv stand with an open shelf just perfect for storing rolled textiles!

also, i have contacted a bunch of solar companies for quotes.
    in this climate we could be generating all the power we need to run home and workshop.
    electricity prices are on the rise, solar equipment is now more and more competitively priced….we are ready to do it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

FATAD March 2012

I got crafty this weekend. Mended a cute keychain I’d made ages ago; it kept falling apart because the cheap chain kept breaking, so I replaced it with some better chain. Also collected all the little pendants I no longer wear, cleaned and polished them and made a charm bracelet.

Used a lone earring, another charm/pendant and a spare silver chain to make a necklace. Made some adorable heart-shaped glass beads into pendants. I enjoyed making these things, but I don’t really want to keep them (I have too much jewelry as it is!) so I’m thinking of gifting or selling.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Tonight I made an effort to start clearing out the Once and Future Bathroom, as a contractor is coming on Wednesday to quote on fixing up the space. I got most of the stuff out, and can probably finish up tomorrow.

Also washed off some fake snow Christmas stencil designs that were still on the windows of the front porch. It’s worse than you think — The stencils were applied at Christmas 2010. :-D

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD March 2012

Did a general tidy of a the remaining winter scarves, wool socks, gloves, put them in their box, wrapped in fresh moth-repelling paper. I don’t want to open that again until November!

Bought soil and potted fresh herbs and replanted them in big pots in the courtyard. Have flower seeds to plant also, so I need to go buy another large pot or two.

Put away all the laundry, tossed dying flowers, washed out soap moulds and put them away, emptied the dishwasher, tidied the kitchen, and now it’s time to get ready for work.

FATAD March 2012

Cleaned up a large old loose-sweet jar that I’d got free from the local sweetshop, rubbed off the labels and put ds’s many Seaworld and Blue Reef sea creatures in it, brainwave! Now they are all in one place and he can see through the jar to pick out the creatures he wants!

Profile photo of grey
    grey

FATAD March 2012

this could be cross posted in atad…

took down old curtain rod (much bigger ordeal than it should have been since it was hung improperly), puttied holes in drywall, hung brackets for new curtain rod, will paint puttied holes when they dry.

throwing old curtain rod in the trash. it’s so mangled it’s not worth donating, sadly.

and i should note that h did all of this while i supervised :-)

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Upgraded the entrance to the Cat Gazebo today by installing a store-bought door. As a bonus, the back of the kitchen has become magically warmer — The magnetic latch on the new door has drastically reduced the cold drafts coming through the door.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

Now that the yard is somewhat dry after recent rain and snow, I was able to get 2 more bags of leaves off the lawn.

FATAD March 2012

Task uncluttered- resurrected a dormant bank account and changed the details to my new address/requested card etc. Many forms were filled in at the branch. Just a small thing but satisfying.

FATAD March 2012

On a roll from last one, reduced our TV package and upped our broadband, but still managed to get saving every month. Also switched to ebills. Another annoying task done!

FATAD March 2012

The fixes definitely look like they will be at the MIL’s house next month. She told me this morning that the ceiling in her bedroom is leaking, just next to the bed. Not an ideal situation for a 90-year-old who is wobbly on her feet. Puddles.

DH wants to have the foundation leveled before having the roof re-shingled, but the foundation dude did his inspection more than a week ago and we do not have an estimate yet. Boo. I’m not sure the roof can wait — the drought is apparently over :) We haven’t even asked for roofing quotes yet.

Had a nice chat with the BIL today — DH and his sister seem to think we can just shuffle their mother’s possessions around her {{{small}}} house while they jackhammer through the concrete INSIDE THE HOUSE. The holes will be dug inside every room except the LR and bathroom. The stuff would have to be shuffled around again for the interior painting and again to lay new flooring throughout the house. BIL and I agree that we ought to rent a POD (portable outside storage container) for everything. My next battle :) She has a heck of a lot of stuff and it would make life easier if we could start packing and moving the stuff she doesn’t immediately need now so that we are better prepared when the foundation guy is ready to start.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Planned what and when to study until weekend next week. *gulp* Lots of work ahead.

Did some half-yearly cleaning of the bathroom. Unbelievable how slow it is when done properly; still have quite a lot left even though I already finished part of it a few weeks ago. Phew. Will see to it that the weekly and monthly stuff gets taken care of like clockwork from now on.

Switched bedlinen and washed the dirty load. Now off to a much-needed shower and then hopefully to get a proper night’s sleep for once. Had a migraine this morning and am drained from so many nightmares as of late, but maybe April will bring some better sleep.

FATAD March 2012

Trimmed dd’s hair
    got my hair own hair cut
    Renewed library books

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

I may have finally figured out my computer problem! *yay*

The puzzle: My computer was freezing at random times (but frequently just after startup), and sometimes not booting at all because it couldn’t access the boot partition. I noticed that one of the 2 hard drives would occasionally vanish from the BIOS list at startup, and that this disappearance coincided with being unable to boot into Windows.

I started to suspect that the power supply wasn’t strong enough to run both drives, but that didn’t make sense because I have a reputable make of power supply, 620 watts, and no super-duper video cards with high power demands. I was all ready to rush out and get myself a brand-new 1000 watt power supply.

Then I learned about the 12-volt rails on modern-day computer power supplies.

You see, on a power supply there are several discrete bundles of plugs coming out, with suitable plugs to attach to hard drives, floppy drives, video cards or DVD drives. What I didn’t know till this afternoon is that each of these clusters is limited to how much current it can draw from the power supply box. (Good safety feature, that…)

So, when I had both the hard drives plugged into the same cable

…D’oh! Instant brownout on either Drive 0 or Drive 1. No power, no drive; no drive, no boot-up. (Or random freezes after boot-up when one of the drives mysteriously vanishes from the system.)

I had connected the drives to the same cable precisely because it had 2 of the right kind of plug. In my parts box I found an adapter that allowed me to convert an old-style Molex hard drive plug to the new style of power plug, and I hooked up the second drive to a different wire bundle. System booted on the first try; Windows repaired the boot information; I logged on, and the system’s been running without a hiccup for well over an hour.

Moral of the story: Always put your hard drives on different power wires.

FATAD March 2012

Interesting, Astreja!

Everything is working out in MIL fix-it land. On his own, DH called a roofer and agreed that the roof can be fixed before the foundation is repaired. He left a message on the foundation guy’s machine to hurry along his estimate. He agreed to renting the POD so we don’t have to spent months shuffling furniture etc. from room to room. He agreed to hiring a nice young man to help with the heavy work. He agreed to everything. Aliens have invaded his brain and I am so glad!

Profile photo of irishbell
    irishbell

FATAD March 2012

SIT- lol! Slowly but surely your dh is coming around.
    Your patience has truly been rewarded!

FATAD March 2012

SIT – Hurray!! Long may it continue!

Astrega – Wow, you truly are Mrs Logic! Glad to hear your computer problems are sorted.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Hopefully the aliens won’t leave :D

Eta:
    Checked the schedule for city-arranged Spring pickups of problem waste in this neighbourhood, printed an information paper for the rest of the people in my staircase or whatever it’s called; you denote by street number and then alphabet within the same number?

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD March 2012

Have taken care of some really, very, incredibly unpleasant bureaucracy and am still alive. Should not have postponed it for weeks, because in the end it went fairly quickly. Now the tax return, which arrived with today’s mail, should be like a walk in the park.

FATAD March 2012

Cleaned out the shop vac so it recovered its suck-power, then vacuumed my car :)

Got a bunch of work-related stuff done — finished a book cover design, proofed an interior book block and indexed it — sent to author for his final approval before sending off for a proof. Ordered some bookmarks for another book. Glad THAT’s done! Now I have Web sites to update :)

FATAD March 2012

cleaned and reorganined my closet. sanded and wiped the filty basement door ready for some white paint. Was exhausted by lunchtime, but kept going and collapsed later.

FATAD March 2012

rinsed 6 ten-gallon totes and lids and left them in the sun to dry; washed the car while I was out there with the hose. Ordered a paint sprayer because there is absolutely no way I can paint the basement door with a brush. Tool lust…

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

– Got 5 more bags of leaves off the front lawn and boulevard; then I ran out of bags.

– Finally remembered to take my portable music player out of my gym bag and recharge the battery.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD March 2012

And 2 more FATADs before we move into April:

– Finished taking down the shelves in the bedroom.

– Started to disassemble my old desk and my CD shelf, which have been sitting in the middle of the study floor for a while.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.