Home Forums Challenges FATAD February 2013

This topic contains 79 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mdfloyd mdfloyd 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

Continued from here. Oil that squeaky doorknob, put up that shelf that’s been sitting in a corner of the garage and generally make your home a little bit better, one day at a time.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Today Red and I began the messy process of installing ceramic tiles on the cabinet for the electric fireplace in the living room. We managed to finish 2 rows and started row 3, and almost finished the first box of tiles.

Red also discovered that a bench vise is a great tool for snapping those huge tiles cleanly along the score line, and I found that pliers are handy for breaking away little bits of tile when trying to make weird compound cuts. The big test will come when I have to make 4 L-shaped tiles to go around the corners of the fireplace unit, and I may have to use some sort of tile-cutting saw blade to do it.

Good news is that the thin-set mortar cleaned easily off the fronts of the installed tiles with water. One less thing to worry about…

FATAD February 2013

That annoying space in the bedroom. (posting in projects thread too) Here is a picture of a couple of months ago. Disguising unfolded laundry with hubs favorite team throw is what usually ended up here. Open, empty spaces like this usually gets me into trouble. 2/1/13- I had a portable fireplace in the storage room (not the best looking thing) hoping that by having it here it will keep me from piling anything/everything in it.

Now to tackle that dusty door…..

FATAD February 2013

Good idea Momwalker! Astreja, thanks for starting the new thread.

As well as clearing the understairs space (as posted in ATAD), I repurposed an unused kitchen cupboard with gardening equipment and pots- it is right by the back door and at the lower level, so very handy. Will put my tools and seeds in there too.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Today’s fix-it: Used some 5-minute epoxy to glue the handle back on an emergency lantern that had taken a tumble off the top of the fridge.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

FATAD February 2013

Hung shelves on the inside of the pantry doors. Put a handle back on a kitchen drawer (needed a longer screw).

FATAD February 2013

I love POWER TOOLS! I am constantly telling the kids I keep to quit jumping on the couch. Everyone said get rid of it, but once I got to looking inside it was just a few supports that had come off the frame. 6 screws and stapled the bottom cover back on.

FATAD February 2013

Momwalker: Impressive!

Small fix: DH actually USED the air compressor he asked for for Christmas. Pumped up our car tires (the fluctuating weather plays havoc with air pressure) and the tires on his bike. He bought the bike about 2 years ago and has never ridden it. I hope this foretells great bikey things.

Talked to DH (again) about installing the garage door sweeps that arrived two weeks ago. He seemed amenable to the concept of installing them.

Had a brilliant idea: The extra teak veneer bookshelf from my office is sitting in the garage. If I install casters on it, we can use it to store things and roll it out of the way to get to the less-used stuff behind it. Thanks, Bandicoot, for the caster idea!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

@momwalker: Wow! You built yourself a brand new couch there.

Today Red and I continued with the installation of the ceramic tiles on the fireplace, and got 2/3 of the way to the top.

We made a couple of attempts to cut tiles into L shapes to fit around the corners of the fireplace insert, but after one tile cracked and the other virtually exploded (yes, safety gear was being worn at the time), we said “To heck with it” and cut 2 sets of small square tiles to go up the wall on either side of the fireplace unit. It actually looks pretty good, 5 x 5 tiles contrasting nicely with the 12 x 12 tiles.

One more session of tile installation, and then some grouting once the mortar is thoroughly dry, and then I’m putting an oak mantel on the top of the whole thing and it’s done.

FATAD February 2013

Painted some pots bright blue and planted red flowering plants in them. Looks so pretty! And two more things cleared out of the garage at the same time.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c13.0.403.403/p403x403/734608_4790969844490_200235223_n.jpg

Sorry don’t know how to put the photos into the post.

FATAD February 2013

They look lovely, teddybearlover!

FATAD February 2013

Thanks so much for your kind words clutterbug22. I asked my husband to buy some navy blue paint, and he came home with bright blue paint. HaHa. He did the right thing as it turned out.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Carried through on my threat to level the fridge properly, using a socket wrench to crank up the front wheels until the doors gently swung closed on their own, and then levelling the fridge side-to-side.

Also changed the furnace filter.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Today my FATAD consisted of assembling an entire recumbent bicycle… Well, maybe not all of it, but a lot of parts and Allen keys were involved.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD February 2013

Yesterday’s FATAD was re-hanging a droopy shelf all by myself!
    It was on my original 6-week-cure list but I couldn’t get ahold of the handyman so I finally managed it myself and am thrilled! I’m not so handy in general, but baby steps!

And today I already have a sort-of FATAD–the chimney sweep was in the house knocking on doors (we have to have our not-in-use chimney checked yearly) and I just happened to be home. This is a relief to get it out of the way and not have to take a day off work at his convenience. The guild can get nasty, as we’ve experienced.

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

I didn’t personally fix it, but the men came to fix the garage door last wednesday. we have a one year insurance policy against anything breaking down, which was included in the sale of the home. this was the first time using their service and it went pretty smoothly.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD February 2013

defrosted the freezer/fridge, washed it all out, tossed old stuff

this took HOURS because our fridge has been getting rust inside (it’s only 4 years old, what a PITA) and nothing I have done has been overly effective. Today I had enough, and am trying a few different things. I might have to eventually simply strip the metal bits and paint over them.

In the meantime, I am going to stick some charcoal in the back to absorb some moisture.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Today I started the last phase of tiling the new fireplace. I cut some tiles for the first row that sits above the electric fireplace insert, and grouted them into place. I had to get creative with shims to push them upward and hold them there till the grout hardened up, leaving the opening in the frame clear so that the unit can be taken out for servicing.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

All the fireplace tiles are now in place and will be grouted tomorrow.

I also cleaned up my anvil pruners with fine sandpaper and WD-40, as they had seized up. Now all I need is for all the snow to go away so we can get started on the garden.

FATAD February 2013

Spent 20 mins yesterday cleaning the awkward nooks and crannies in the kitchen around the bases of the cupboards, floor and back door. After dropping off lots of random things at the skip/recycling centre last week, this area is clear now, but was very dirty. Much grot removed, ugh.

Today I have been soaking sheets and towels in whitener then putting them through the machine, to try to get them back to snowy-whiteness.

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

FATAD February 2013

I unf**ked my patio garden, kitchen, AND dining-room table yesterday!

Patio garden – see garden thread (just housekeeping really).

Kitchen – aside from tossing & cleaning out & reorganizing the under-the-sink cabinet (ATAD), washed (and put away) dishes; swept; did meal plan & shopping list & went to the grocery store.

Dining-room table – was staged with a big load of stuff I needed to log and photograph for the planned re-launch of my Etsy store. DID THAT. Now all that monkey business is put away.

Over the course of the past week I moved two pieces of art so that I could hang another one, which had been stored in a closet. Now all our art from our Hawaii (Big Island) honeymoon is in the den.

This required a stop at a hardware store, because the stored piece needed a hanging wire attached. Fortunately there is a hardware store just a couple of blocks from the supermarket, and I did not let myself drive past it with any stories about “I can come back later.”

Profile photo of Sasjanep
    Sasjanep

FATAD February 2013

Does buying a new item to replace something that really didnt work a fix? I am going to count it anyway, as the shower caddy we had REALLY annoyed me.

Also, WD-40ed my bike lock, hopefully that will free it up, otherwise I will have to b a new one.

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

a light burned out in the kitchen and we ended up replacing all 5 of them with new, brighter lamps that take much less energy as well. a somewhat expensive fix but everytime we go into the kitchen now we both go “ahhhh! this is nice!”

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

I got all the grout into place on the fireplace today.

And then I cleaned the tiles. Two hours later, I wiped off all the dusty film remaining on the tiles, and “detailed” the grout lines. After that was done, I did a final vacuuming and put the face plate back on the fireplace, and switched it back on.

I’d forgotten how labour-intensive it is to properly grout tiles. You have to do a really good job cleaning up along the edges of the tile, before the stuff hardens up too much. Looks great, though. All that remains is to build the mantel on the top, and it’s done.

Also discovered that the downstairs vacuum was in dire need of a cleaning, so after I finished with the fireplace I washed up all the parts.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

FATAD February 2013

Kitty house has been disinfected and is now ready for a new series of poop. Usually His Royal Kittiness monitors the process from a safe distance of a few feet, but now he is lazy to an extent that he hasn’t even christened the darn thing yet. His normal evening routine is to go in the house right after I have cleaned it, but sleeping is more appealing today. Seriously, most of the fun for me comes from observing him start dirtying it up again *hmpf*

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

FATAD February 2013

This morning I cleaned up the kitchen. We are ordering Thai food for dinner. Now all I have to do is set the table and open the champagne. :-)

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

I had an “ah-hah!” and a “doh!” moment all at the same time.

We have a cotten duvet we got for free with a bedroom set. It is quite ugly but the weight of it seems to be the perfect compromise between chilly me and warm DH.

I had thought “I wish I could find another one like this, but nicer color. However I hate to buy yet another blanket, we have so many”

Then I realized I could just take one of the three nice cotton duvet covers we already have for the heavy down feather duvets, which we never use, and put it on the ugly cotton one.

I’m a little slow sometimes, but usually I arrive eventually!

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

FATAD February 2013

luxcat, sometimes the simplest solutions elude us just because they are so simple!

Profile photo of Northshore
    Northshore
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Finally, I bought and installed a new belt on the turntable. Now I can listen to the remaining LPs and decide which ones I want to keep.

Profile photo of s
    s

FATAD February 2013

Way to go, Luxcat! I love when it’s just that simple!

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

FATAD February 2013

My car is having a spa day. First I took it to the carwash, and it’s presently getting an oil change, general inspection, wheel rotation/balance, and a bit of rewiring.

The thing is 18 years old. Yay Honda!

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

today I Old-Englished a nightstand. The poor thing was so thirsty it just sucked up tons of it. I did the work outside so I could see properly and not worry about spills on the light color carpet.

@Chacha… I think my next car might be a Honda, once my currently-10-year-old Ford goes to the big junkyard in the sky.

FATAD February 2013

3 admin tasks cleared, photographing recipes from a book I have borrowed so I can access them from my phone in the supermarket, applying for a partial refund for my season ticket, and the other, requesting feedback from an unsuccessful interview (ouch).

Profile photo of KeKeD
    KeKeD

FATAD February 2013

Replaced garbage disposal with DH. Marriage tested but intact ;-)

Profile photo of mdfloyd
    mdfloyd

FATAD February 2013

Hung up a nice sun catcher of a macaw a friend gave me — yes, it’s something I enjoy and didn’t feel the immediate need to put it in my donate basket.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD February 2013

glued the tail back on a little carved cat a friend made for me. The tail holds my wedding rings when I’m cooking/cleaning. I missed it when it was out of commission.

got a much-needed haircut. I now have a very short pixie cut, which suits me better and is very quick to deal with in the mornings. However, my head is much colder when I’m outside :)

parcelled up some smoothie ingredients for the freezer. Should be quicker to put together my green smoothies in the morning this way.

FATAD February 2013

KeKeD, glad to hear your marriage is ok ;-) Sounds like a major test!

Attempted to fix our drains with a plunger. Hmm, not so effective. Next stop, bad chemicals.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Today Red and I installed most of the underlay for the back part of the kitchen: A foam and plastic cushioning/barrier layer, topped off with some thin plywood underlay. I have 2 pieces left to cut, and I temporarily put another piece in place at the transition between the front and back kitchen areas (need to remove some old tile there before we nail it down), but we’re almost ready to lay floor tiles back there.

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

DH and FIL tore out the remainder of the bush in the front garden which we had cut down so I could see while pulling from the driveway into busy street. Then they got about 1/4 of the bamboo hacked out of the backyard. FIL is a professional landscaper and told us we got the bamboo out just in time before the roots were impossible to remove. some roots are already reaching 4 feet out and a wall was in peril. we will replace the bamboo with a special species of ficus that will grow fast but not cause damage with roots. while they did that I drained, scrubbed and re-filled the bird fountain, which was getting pretty nasty.

Profile photo of vjb
    vjb

FATAD February 2013

Secret Squirrel, Secret Squirrel!

If you are unhappy about the chemicals, and you’ve tried the baking-soda-and-vinegar thing, there is another solution: go to your hardware store and get a drain-cleaning device for $20. Seriously: I paid over $200 to get my drain unblocked recently, and while he was here the nice young plumber-boy told me that you could buy the thing he was using super-cheap and do it yourself: just unscrew the drain-cover, poke the cleaning end in, and turn the handle.

I was quite rueful about the wasted money. Also, I now have revolting drain chemicals (which didn’t work and that I’m afraid to touch) sitting in my bathroom cupboard until I can work out how to dispose of them. Bleurgh!

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

FATAD February 2013

There is now so much room in the cold storage that I have moved all the window and box fans into that space, and brought the roll of contractor-sized plastic sheeting and a bit of foam insulation back into the basement from the garage, ready for the finish work in the addition.

ETA: and I have followed up with my neighbors and have a confirmed time for tea and project lists on the 3rd. Yay!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

I finally started the task of adding a door to the bottom of the 3rd floor stairway, to prevent unauthorized feline intrusion into my daughter’s rooms. First phase is the shortening of the stairway railing by about a foot to make room for the door, and the removal of old trim. So far I’ve cut and re-anchored the bottom of the railing, and taken off 3 pieces of the old fir trim. (Not sure at this point if the trim will get reused or just chucked out.)

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

Yesterday (thanks to the miracle of the internet) I figured out how to repair our broken coffee machine rather than buy a new one. Working fine!

Profile photo of s
    s

FATAD February 2013

Djk, with short hair especially, I’m a huge fan of earmuffs! So much warmer than a hat.

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD February 2013

hi everybody, i´d like to join if you don´t mind… there are a lot of things to do and i´d like to do a minimum of one fix per day. i haven´t been very stringent with the last challenges but i hope to fix one thing a day, just for the rest of this month.

so this is my fixed thing for today: i organized my photos on the phone and and filed them:
    – pictures as memories
    – photos that i took to “scan” receipts and some other documents
    – photos that i took to remember “to-dos” (also: did some of them and deleted the photo afterwards

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD February 2013

ah, this is what i HATE about those things that “just” need to be done. it is just a single task on a to-do-list and while fixing it, it expands to a project.

i just need to change a bank account number. so i called the call center of the company. they told me that they need it as a text. okay, sent an email. then they called me cack, they need a real signature on a form. ok, they emailed the form and also told me that it has to be signed by the person who pays this bill. this is my mom. my mom ist in tokyo right now. i am not! argh!

so i called the company again and asked if it is possible to sent the signed form as a scan per email. luckily, it seems to be possible. so i sent it to japan and i hope my mom (who is nearly 70) will be able to open the form, print it out, sign it, take a photo of the signed form, email this photo to me sothat i can forward it to the company. wish me luck. it is just one of those simple tasks on my list….

Northshore
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Sewed a tiny collar button on my uniform for volunteer work. I’m just glad I noticed it missing and found the button in the dryer.
    And, back to physical therapy, this time for a different joint. I see them more than I see my relatives.

Profile photo of s
    s

FATAD February 2013

Great work already, Mimi!

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

FATAD February 2013

Mimi, you start where you start!

Last night: noticed that the clamp holding the vent hose onto the dryer exhaust vent had worked loose. As moving the dryer by myself would get me shouted at, I had to wait until DH got home, but between the two of us we soon had it sorted.

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

FATAD February 2013

Does fixing up a vat of chili last night count? At least I uncluttered a ton of celery and carrots into it. Also a little cup of barbecue sauce left over from Thai takeout last week. :-)

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

FATAD February 2013

several fixes yesterday, large and small:

elfa racking hung in laundry, plus a hook rack for mop/broom/rake/umbrella/cobweb broom.
    this has made an enormous difference and now FINALLY my laundry is tiled, organised and fabulous.
    i have shelving. i have a rail for hanging garments on hangers. and allofit is off the floor and the laundry baskets and trugs can fit underneath with room to spare.

skirting boards installed, and rusted guttering replaced.

my january cure picture has been hung.

my very small collection of maasai beaded collars has been hung up a concrete pillar.

hooks have been hung by the kitchen door….umbrella, market basket, shopping bags, and things to be returned are now all hanging there and i have got rid of a large wicker basket that lurked beneath the kitchen table with all that in it previously.

installation of very strong magnetic door holders.
    we have strong breezes and lots of glassed doors that just love to slam if they aren’t hooked back.
    visitors never hook them back, because they aren’t expecting the wind, and i get anxious policing it; so the solution was magnets.
    and they are working perfectly.
    AND i got to move a repulsive rusted iron pig-with-wings that i was using as a doorstop, into the garden where it looks quite at home and will no doubt give one of us tetanus one day.

finally, a retractable hose in a container, has been wall-mounted around by the tap, so i never ever need to deal with the crushed and miles-too-long nightmare hose again, when i just want to water my bromeliads and ferns.
    i still have to steal all the good brass fittings off the old hose and swap them over for the plastic rubbish that came with the new hose.

amd a job i forgot, because i did not write it down, and it now has to go onto a new list:
    wall-hang the tv speakers.

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD February 2013

thanks, s and lucy! today i tackled some tasks that could easily be done sothat i got motivated by crossing it out on my list.
    so today i scanned (actually, i took pictures with my phone of) some documents, paid bills for my dad and then i was brave enough to call two insurances for him and i got all the answers that i needed as a reward :)

Profile photo of luxcat
    luxcat

FATAD February 2013

bandicoot how exactly did you use hooks to hang your mop/broom/cobwebber? did they all have loops or did you use clips? curious as I have similar issue to solve.

bandicoot

FATAD February 2013

luxcat: i searched high and low for this thing.
    i knew what i wanted but i didn’t know the name of it.
    they did not have one in the cleaning items dept of the gigantic hardware store i ended up at.
    and they denied all knowledge of such an item.
    a few aisles over, in the gardening tools department, there it was!

and this is it:

bandicoot

FATAD February 2013

today i took the maasai collars down and washed them all.
    with the concrete dust, spiders, and general grime removed, they look even better, LOL.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Levelled the floor at the junction of the kitchen and the mudporch tonight. I had to remove a couple of old tiles, add a thin piece of wood, and then put levelling compound over it all. There’s one small area of plywood at the edge of the kitchen floor that’s a bit high, but I should be able to sand, scrape or otherwise plane it down to match the rest of the area.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

FATAD February 2013

Mimi: Felt your frustration at the account changing. I recall I used to use my kids’ sick days, when I stayed home with them, to do similar phone calls. I was never able to call from school as I was usually only off duty before any normal office was open.Those wild goose chases were usually enough to make ME sick. One teacher friend actually took a day off to make phone calls. Now that I am home full time, I still detest such business. I hope you eventually “fixed” your problem.

Profile photo of vjb
    vjb

FATAD February 2013

Astreja, you are going great guns on the renovating! I really admire you for being able to do that! I consider myself pretty handy in that I can drill holes in walls and maintain bikes and put together Ikea furniture and change taps, but anything more and I hesitate.

Well, actually, it’s more like my Giant Perfectionism Klaxon™ (Now With Flashing Lights!!) starts going off and I promptly panic at the thought of stuffing it all up!

Either way, *admiration*.

Will there be photos when it’s all done?

bandicoot

FATAD February 2013

ugh, dealing with bureacracy is terrible and banks are among the worst.
    just easier to give them the life savings and start from scratch!

FATAD February 2013

Fixed my rake. The head fell off. Found a screw that fit, but debated long and hard — would have been an excuse to take a break from the endless leaves and acorns.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Red and I nailed down 2 of the 3 remaining pieces of underlay in the mudporch, and started laying the floor tiles. There were a couple of minor mishaps, including getting my feet stuck to the floor in a couple of places, and a cat who didn’t bother to read the “Authorized Personnel Only” sign and went stomping through some wet glue (necessitating an emergency capture and foot-cleaning).

bandicoot

FATAD February 2013

took down african mudcloths from wall and washed them.
    they are line drying then they will need some stitching to re-hang.

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Unstuck the floor, cleaned the sticky soles of my slippers, cleaned the new tiles, and planed down the doorway area so that the last piece of underlay could go into place.

FATAD February 2013

Went and priced up a floor runner for the stairs, now we have that (it was reasonable and the guy was enthusiastic and friendly so win-win), we have started prepping for sanding and painting the hall, landing and the edges of the stairs. Nothing like a bit of impetus!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Red and I laid more floor tile today, and now only have 2 areas to go in the mudporch. We’re going to wait till next Friday so that the recently-tiled areas have lots of time to cure before we move the fridge over them.

And no sticky cats this time — We blocked off the work area with a sheet of plywood to keep them out.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD February 2013

2 loads of laundry washed, folded, and put away. 2 more loads in the process. All dishes done. All trash and recycling out. Catbox not merely emptied but disinfected. Small miracles, praise be. :)

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD February 2013

fixed a lot of tasks for my dad on saturday: gave him his statements of account (and copied them a few times and put them into several places as he tends not to find them and to blame me, sigh), fixed his printer, replaced bulbs etc.

on sunday i “fixed” myself and uncluttered some beauty products: took a warm bath, a face mask, hair care products. etc.pp. found out that the epilator needs to be repaired- a new task for a new week.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD February 2013

Yay Ella! These tasks take energy but are so good to have done.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

FATAD February 2013

Update:
    Back in January’s FATAD I mentioned I had turned my hangers around. As of today I have 44 hanging items. 21 of which have been turned around.
    As we are not through winter yet, I feel quite good about having used 50% of my wardrobe (including my summer tanks) in the first 2 months of the year.
    This does not include my socks/shoes/undies/work-out clothes and my 2 sweaters, nor outerwear, nor nightwear.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

FATAD February 2013

4 more loads of laundry done this morning. That makes a total of 8 loads since yesterday… everything I own (well, everything that’s washable anyway). Plus all pillows fluffed in a super-hot dryer to kill dust mites (and a damp cloth doused with Mrs. Meyer’s lavender softener tossed in, so now the pillows smell heavenly instead of sickroomy). I’m exhausted but it feels so good to have those depressing heaps of dirty laundry now freshly washed and folded away.

FATAD February 2013

well done, ella! Now come and do mine . . .

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD February 2013

wow ella, well done! i also like the feeling of “no dirty laundry” very much.

yesterday i tackled some more little tasks, mainly errands. so now i have a new buttoncell for an electronic key (and i will never understand why i have to pay 3 euros in a shop and only 50 cents for one that gets delivered by mail via amazon or ebay) and LED-solar lights for the garden and a stock of floss for a year and so on.
    in addition, i downloaded the next statements of account and creditcard statements and checked them and filed them propely. and i saved some pictures and information from apps that don´t use anymore. the apps are deleted, less digital slag, yay!

today i started with paying bills for my dad and i plan to buy new bed sheets for the guest bed and advertise a lamp that i don´t use.

Profile photo of s
    s

FATAD February 2013

Holy cow, Ella. Way to power through!

Profile photo of Astreja
    Astreja
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Sewed a cover for my electric piano out of some vinyl-coated canvas I had lying around. It isn’t quite a carrying bag (no handles), but it’ll keep it safe if I have to take it out to a concert.

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

FATAD February 2013

yay, i completed the mentioned tasks yesterday.
    i will focus on my papers for uni today.

Northshore
    Participant

FATAD February 2013

Northshore changes a lightbulb in the office ceiling fan/light fixture.
    Kitchen stool in place, NS climbs up.
    Lightbulb breaks, leaving base in socket.
    NS gets two needle-nose pliers from basement.
    Base doesn’t budge; NS decides to remove glass shades. Screws require a screwdriver. NS uses computer screwdriver rather than treking downstairs again.
    NS goes down the basement to get a better screwdriver. (Did she mention her recently sprained ankle?) Inspiration moves her to bring up the step ladder.
    Finally removes 9 screws holding in dusty glass lamp shades. Lampshades go to kitchen sink and NS gets nearly empty bottle of household cleaner-from basement, taking screws to basement in yogourt container, sprays with WD-40.
    Base comes loose; not working above her head, NS got a better grip this time.
    Lampshades need more detergent; NS gets it (in the basement, where else?) and while she is down there, removes cobwebs from Endust, resolving to dust more often. Detergent, Endust, rags, cleaned screws and NS return to kitchen. Lampshades are cleaned and dried; screws are wiped and used to replace shades, lightbulbs are in, fan blades are dusted and NS is about to rest when she remembers “PEEP!”
    She puts everything away, heats up her coffee and rests.
    Astreja–I am always in awe of your accomplishments.

Profile photo of Barbs
    Barbs

FATAD February 2013

LOL Northshore. That’s the way mine go! I will have to post the changing of the microwave bulb story some day.

@Astreja – can you make a handle out of duck tape or bungee cord? =)

Profile photo of s
    s

FATAD February 2013

Well done, Northshore!

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

FATAD February 2013

The Saga of the Lightbulb, love it!

Yesterday my package of mylar book-jacket covers arrived from Brodart, so I wrapped my two new books. First I had to get out the iron and heat the seller’s stickers so I could get them off without damaging the jackets. Then as I was putting the books away discovered four others that needed to be wrapped. And then of course I had to rearrange the shelf a little.

Finally put everything away and it is good.

Also: this morning I decluttered loose papers from the tables in the den and dining room, telling myself “Do It Now.”

Profile photo of mdfloyd
    mdfloyd

FATAD February 2013

Glued little foot on bottom of PC that was driving me crazy by continually falling off.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.