Home Forums Living Spaces Kitchen door organizers aren't just for shoes

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of lottielot lottielot 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    EraserGirl

this is the one i have in the kitchen
    (i have a tiny kitchen)
    this one holds batteries, travel mugs, bulbs, menus, manuals for appliances etc..
    http://flic.kr/p/8qx7mi
    when it is open, it is up against the fridge where it can’t be seen.

I had another one in my den with all my cameras and devices, but i don’t use them anymore since i went digital. So i took it down and put it in my toybox
    http://flic.kr/p/8oehfX

(i also have one for shoes)

what else are we storing in these?

awurrlu

door organizers aren't just for shoes

When I had more purses, I used an over-the-door DVD rack in my closet to hold them and my small jewelry box. Unbelievably tidy and convenient!

Aslaug

I have one on the inside of my bathroom door that holds bubble baths, sunscreen, hair products, hair dryer and other such stuff (not enough closet space for this in the bathroom).

In my office I hung one over the door, one pouch holds permanent markers, one holds highlighters, one has scotch tape, one has staplers and staples, one greeting cards, etc. Very convenient for organizing this stuff, instead of having it in drawers or shelves.

foilhead1

I have a book on organizing for adults with ADD and they use door organizers all the time…keeps everything visual and simple to put away. I gonna get on for the bathroom now. Thanks Aslaug!

EraserGirl

@Aslaug, thanks for the great idea! when i move my office out of my living room..into the spare room, after I empty the spare room….i will use one for my Drawer Supplies too!

Timo

Over-the-door organizers seem to be extremely convenient for storing all kinds of items! I’m thinking of storing some small things like my keys into one of those pockets. Anyone tried this?

pkilmain

I’m thinking of using one for my various charging/connection cords. Every electronic thing I have uses a different cord!! I did find a device that plugs into an outlet that in addtion to giving you extra outlets, has 2 USB ports as well, and a little shelf for resting whatever you’re charging. It works great, but I need to find a more convenient outlet to use it in. Our house was built before building codes required more outlets, so we basically have 2 per room (except the kitchen).

lottielot

I use a really big one for all my t-shirts and workout gear, but it does have very big pockets, a friend made it for holding washable nappies. Not an over-door organiser as such, but I have my kids coats, school shoes, book bags, and raincoats on the back of one door, just on normal coat hooks with the shoes in a cloth bag. There’s a timetable for the week and school notes pinned up on that. Our house has zero useful storage downstairs, so doors are a great solution for us. I keep meaing to buy some door organisers for other purposes, I must have a few more doors I can use! Hooks are also good, my recycling lives on a hook in the understairs cupboard and I have a collection of things which otherwise wouldn’t have a home on the door in front of my washing machine, gardeny-type things as it’s next to the back door.
    pkilmain: I know just what you mean about the charging! However, I tend to put chargers where I use the device most. So ipod charger belongs next to the bed, phone charger in the kitchen near my handbag etc. Also stops you getting the chargers confused!

pkilmain

LOL, Lottie, I would do that with the chargers as well, but it drives my DH nuts! He has only a digital camera that needs charging, while I have a camera, phone, iPod, MP3 player,laptop and iPad, so I keep them all between my office and and craft room. So annoying to have to haul multiple cords when traveling as well.

bandicoot

i keep wanting to buy door organisers after reading here.
    but i only have two internal doors in my whole house, and one of them has our towels hanging on it.
    and the 3 external doors are glass sliders.

i was especially keen after seeing a door organiser with all the electronic stuff filed neatly in it.
    so i compromised by getting a cutlery drawer organiser and putting all my cords and adaptors in there.
    it’s ok, but it isn’t hanging coolly. *pout*

chacha1

bandicoot, LOL!

I’ve considered the door organizers but I have no excuse since I have plenty of storage. Plus, I have a feeling the pockets would soon be full of dust bunnies.

My favorite officer organizer is the secretary desk I got. Two letter-sized file drawers with a drop-front compartment above, and four shallow drawers above that. Small footprint, maximum functionality. We have a separate stash for duplicate office supplies – sticky notes, stapler, tape, binder clips, etc. – in the den where we both tend to process mail.

trillie

LOL @ bandicoot — have you considered the see-through plastic organizers? It would be two birds with one stone: You get a see-through door organizer for your glass doors, AND finally you have some decoration on them! (Rolled-up cables are decorative. No?) :oD

Gypsie

@bandicoot, You can still have over the door organizers just in a little different way. What about hanging a towel bar up high and hanging the hanging door organizers over that!

lottielot

lol at bandicoot’s door organiser envy! You can use other surfaces, you know :) Like a small hanging organiser off the side of a bookshelf in a home office for example :) Lots of possibilities.

irishbell

Has anyone heard of or seen the charging mats? You simply place your device on it and voila… charged (after a time).
    Of course this has to plugged in somehow- but it’s only one cord.
    I don’t have one…yet.

EraserGirl

you can adapt these over the door organizers to suit the door. I used one on a door that had coat hooks protruding, so I poked holes in the organizer and just hung the coats over the organizer. if i wanted to, i could install a towel rod right over the organizer. If one thinks its a dust magnet you can always trim a cloth shower curtain to fit and hook that over the hooks at the top. one need never live with it as it comes from the store.

now that i think of it, I think i can cut one into 4 sections and install a couple of sections inside my kitchen cabinet doors.

pkilmain

Oh, Irishbell, I haven’t heard of these – I’m off to google them. What a help that would be instead of find the right cord for each device all the time.

Okay, they look good, but quite pricey. Maybe I’ll ask for one for Christmas/birthday at some point. :)

shenamo

Hi, I’ve been lurking here, and I am inspired by all of your suggestions and devotion to uncluttering. This forum topic caught my eye as I am a devotee of the door organizer. I have them in literally every room in the house…
    pantry door: inside to hold spices, baggies, small bottles. outside one meant for a dorm room holds a loaf of bread, daily medicines and a towel rack for paper towels (3.00 at TJ Maxx!).
    Hall closet: extra keys, scarves, gloves, winter hats, lint roller, safety pins
    laundry room: laundry misc, lightbulbs, batteries, pet leashes clippers, etc
    bedrooms: scarves, belts, belt buckles, ties, the occasional shoe, small toys
    bathrooms: toiletries, hair tools and accessories
    office: office supplies, misc cables
    music room: cables, CDs, drumsticks, guitar strings

Sorry, I’ve gone on too long, but I truly love these things. You’ve given me some great new ideas, as well…hanging from a towel bar and inside cabinet doors = brilliant!

lottielot

wow shenamo, that’s a lot of door organisation :) Ooh, just realised I have some unrealised opportunities in the shape of a door organiser for our swimming costumes on the bathroom door, they currently live on a couple of towel rails and look messy. Will buy one tomorrow!

irishbell

Lottielot: swimming costumes! I love all the different colloquialisms I hear in this forum.
    Plain old bathing suit is what we say ’round here.

bandicoot

growing up in new zealand, we called our swimming costumes “togs”.
    actually, i still call them my togs.

lottielot

I thought ‘swimming costumes’ was relatively unculture-specific, that’s why I chose the phrase! I would usually say ‘cozzies’, being Australian. Togs is used in Australia too, I believe. What else, ‘bathers’?

irishbell

pkilmain: yes they are pricey, I imagine they will come down as most electronics do after awhile.
    Lottielot: swimsuit, bathing suit,( bikini, one piece, two piece), trunks (for men). I guess there’s more names than I first thought. To me-U.S. names for things sound plain and less colorful than other cultures.

Dana Black

Over the door organizers have been a staple of mine as a home organizer. I use them for anything from electronic cords, baby changing, legos, pantry, hats/goloves even back doors. I recently found Simply Stashed organizers which take the plain white shoe organizer to the next level. Simply Stashed comes in a variety of pockets sizes and bright colorful designs. The same company makes a product called Gear Pockets which is a wall hanging or over the door pocket organizer for sporting goods. Check them out at simplystashed.com and gearpockets.com

Sky

Maybe we American have decluttered our names for things, keeping it simple! :o)

lottielot

oooh, now lego storage, that’s a whole new thread in itself…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.