Home Forums Taking Care of Yourself Declutter fat by springtime

This topic contains 316 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of irishbell irishbell 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Ella

I’m ready to start the new year with healthy steps to decluttering more weight.
    Anybody else want to join?

Thanks to the holiday declutter fat thread, that short-term goal helped make it a bit easier and I’m encouraged to keep going. My new goal is to drop 15 pounds between New Year’s and Easter Sunday (March 31), or a little over a pound a week or 5 pounds each month.

I’ve got some smaller-sized springtime clothes hiding in a suitcase under my bed, and I’d really love to fit into them again.

How about you?

pkilmain

Declutter fat by springtime

I’m in!

happymonkey

I’m in, too! I’d like to lose 15 pounds by Easter, but I’m going to aim for 10 and go from there.

Me, too! I’ve been setting a few work and other goals for the first quarter of the year; Easter Sunday, March 31, is a good milestone for me.

I used to go to the gym regularly two years ago (before my medical problems), and I know it will be a slow process both losing this recent weight and regaining strength, so I’ll have to go really slowly. It will be hard to see my progress and to stay motivated, so this thread will help. Even at home, I can’t do the pilates ball or even the smallest free weights. I’m having trouble with stretches and arm exercises even with no resistance bands or weights–just the weight of the arm itself! But, a year ago, my arms were so fatigued, it was too much work to put my arms on the armrests of a chair or something like that. I am grateful that–at last!–I can walk 20+ minutes, and I’ll keep that up.

I was 146# when I graduated with my BA. I gained rapidly during the process of prepping for both my masters and my PhD oral exams–about 25# each–lost some and regained that and another 20 while I was ill and immobile for long.

Losing 15# the first quarter of the year would be sweet, but I’ll define success to include forming good habits and building strength to complete a half-hour pilates video that I used to do easily.

Initial baby steps:
    1) keep up the practice of taking an energizing green smoothie every morning.
    2) be less sedentary: stand for email/GReader/forum/surfing computer time. (a standing or treadmill desk could be a possibility in a year or so.)
    3) 15 mins of activity: brisk walk or stretches or other. After 7 consecutive days with no flare-up of symptoms, add 5 mins.
    4) No food after 7 pm & no eating snacks from a jar or package: establish portions before eating and don’t grab more!

irishbell

Oh, I’m in people, all the way!

sleepykitten

I’m definitely in! Some of you may have seen from the last thread that I signed up for a service (called stickK) that keeps my credit card number on file and sends some of my hard-earned money to a lobbying group I disagree with every week I don’t meet my weight goal. So far, I haven’t had to give up any money – whew! I started at 160 pounds the day after Thanksgiving.

My goal through that service is 140 pounds by April 12th, which requires I lose about a pound a week. If I could hit 140 by Easter, even better! I think my ideal weight is probably more like 130 or 135 – but I figure when I reach 140 I can re-evaluate how I look and feel.

Jude2004

I don’t have a scale, so I can’t weigh myself or set a pound goal. But a goal to exercise more is always a good one.

Sky

I am IN!! I posted on the declutter fat thread that I didn’t do well through Christmas and I’m ready to get very serious.

I loaded up on fruit and veggies today and already have oatmeal. I’m cutting out all sweets and junk. I eat very little meat, chicken about once a week, so my plan is healthy and low fat. Also, more active. My goal is 20 lbs in 4 to 5 months but I like the Easter goal.

MegHom

I want to commit to being in. I’d love to lose 5 pounds by June and develop some better muscle tone. The holidays have contributed to my bad habits, I just had chocolate fudge for breakfast, but I plan on doing better from now on!

MegHom

I want to commit to being in. I’d love to lose 5 pounds by June and develop some better muscle tone. The holidays have contributed to my bad habits, I just had chocolate fudge for breakfast, but I plan on doing better from now on!

liag

May I commit not to losing lbs., but to eating correctly? I want to eat breakfast every day and not snack randomly on empty calories. I am notoverweight or unhealthyk but Ifeel better and sleep better eating mindfully and regularly.

Ella

It’s a beautiful sunny day, so I’ll be going for a good long walk to launch the new year. I’m continuing with my no sweets/no snacks policy for the next 3 months, since it worked so well for me during the holiday challenge and I lost 12 pounds. But I’ll allow myself two exceptions for a chocolate treat — at midpoint for Valentine’s Day, and at the finish for Easter. And I’ll continue eating more fruits, veggies, and lean organic meats, and fewer grains. Oh and try really hard not to skip lunch… that’s a bad habit I’ve gotten into, not good for my blood sugar.

One thing I discovered during the last challenge… whenever I hit a plateau, I was able to knock myself down off it by having a big salad for dinner 3 nights in a row.

OnARoll

My major goal is getting healthier, and that involves dropping some weight. So I’m taking baby steps to get it together. Let’s encourage each other.

sleepykitten

@liag – yes, eating healthier is a great goal! :)

Today I did a yoga class (I will be doing a lot of those in January, because my studio has a big discount this month) and ended up doing a lot of walking as well (sort of by accident because the bus schedules were screwed up for New Years Day, but it was definitely exercise, so I’ll take it).

Barbs

I’m in! I made a poster today for my personal “Biggest Loser” challenge. I assigned points for different things I want to do – Exercise/healthy eating/morning weighins/good sleep etc. I also assigned negative points for things I should try to avoid – sweets/cheetos/beer, etc. I added a couple of motivational quotes and there is room for more. It’s kind of fun. I taped a calendar page in the middle where I will keep track of my weight and the number of points I earn each day. I want to lose at least 6 pounds by the end of January.
    I have already earned 70 points today! Ha! that’s totally capricious since I made up the scoring system and I am the sole judge but it may work. I have done a lot more good things today than I usually do just because of the reminders.

sleepykitten

@Barbs – I like the idea of your own point-based challenge and the fact it is on a poster so you can see it and be reminded each day. Also, 70 points is AWESOME. :) Ha, ha! I know what you are saying about you making up the scoring system, but as long as you don’t change the rules mid-game, the points will definitely help. Now you know you are capable of earning 70+ points in a day – so you can keep that up.

Ella

Barbs: Your chart sounds great! I firmly believe in making your own rules. :)

I was good and did not skip lunch today! Then I took a wonderful walk up the steepest side of Nob Hill. In fact, so steep that I had to go up partway walking backwards… to be rewarded with stunning views from the top.

Jennifer

I’m totally in!

Larousse

I’m in! I put on about 2kg over the holidays, need to shift it again before it takes up residence again on my hips!
    Started well by walking 7km yesterday, most of it very briskly.
    Though that was due to a change of plan… it was supposed to be a nice family walk with our 2 DSs on their bikes, but DH found he couldn’t go on about halfway around, he was getting breathless and the apéritif he’d had on an empty stomach was not helping.. :-S
    So I had to leave him to walk home, go on to meet the DSs at McDonalds (they had gone ahead); I quickly got them a takeaway, instead of all of us eating in as we had planned, but by then I had realised that DH didn’t have his door key, so I left the DSs to finish their (late) lunch and walked back home quickly as I knew DH would be sitting outside waiting. So I missed out on the McDonalds (good!) and got a very fast walk in the crisp winter sunshine. Went back towards where I’d left the DSs in the car, they were already more than halfway home and made it back before it got dark.
    Today I have had a big breakfast, oatmeal with some muesli and 2 slices of toast, and so far that’s holding off the mid-morning munchies.

Nina

I’m in aswell – although I won’t start my diet till next Monday. After months of half heartedly trying to lose weight (again) and not surprisingly failing I am going to try the South Beach diet. I suffer from mild PCOS and have a hard time losing weight. I am hoping that cutting out sugar/fruit/carbs (apart from vegetables and legumes) will make it easier for me to lose weight. And eventhough I think that in the long run I should be able to have a cookie or a piece of chocolate ever now and then – I need a strict set of rules to get me started.
    We are going on a beach holiday in just over 2 months and my goal is to lose as much weight as possible until then. I am hoping at least 5kgs… but any loss is good at this time.
    While I’m not starting my diet yet I will however start working out again this week.

liag

Oatmeal and fruit breakfasts almost immediately after getting up is turning out not to be unpleasant. Perhaps it’s psychological and even smug, but I am happier.I don’t weigh in, but my pants are comfortable, and I’m comfortable. Good luck to the others embracing healthy weights and eating ahbit.

OnARoll

I added a few veggies today, yay. Okay, also some blackberry pie. For the antioxidants. Okay, so tomorrow i’ll do better.

Barbs

So… I think my chart is very helpful. I earned 90 points yesterday!

One section addresses supplements. I need to take Omega 3 and vitamin D everyday and I am fairly good about remembering these. I am trying to add some others also.
    Calcium, B-12 and Ginseng. I get 5 points for each supplement I take.

I have gotten 2 very good nights of sleep and I hope to keep all of this up.

Thanks SK & Ella for the encouragement. Today is already shaping up to be a little stressful so I need all the help & perspective I can get.

Northshore
    Participant

I’m in! I have been adding pounds lately and need to start going in the other direction. Ten pounds by Easter is my goal. I don’t have a firm plan yet about how I will do this but I think a food diary and planning my meals a few days in advance will help. I tend to wait for inspiration when planning my supper; I hope advance planning will result in fewer calories.

Ella

I dropped 1 pound today, my first pound down for the new year, hooray! 14 more to go. It’s another nice day for another nice long walk.

sleepykitten

Yay, @Ella!

I fear I haven’t been eating particularly healthily today – a combination of a bit of stress and then a lunch meeting where food was ordered for us from a restaurant that specialized in frying things.

That being said, I went to yoga again last night and will go again today – I am loving the unlimited January pass…I wish I could afford it all year!

irishbell

Down .8 lb in the last couple days.
    Not sure if this loss is because I have been ill for nearly 2 weeks.
    eating less and feeling full also. guess ill see, if i EVER get better.
    This makes a total of 17 lbs total since I originally started my first bout of WW over a year ago.

Ella

irishbell: I’m so sorry that you’re still feeling unwell, hope it passes soon. But congratulations on 17 pounds lost in a year. Wow, that’s quite impressive.

As for me, I started out this New Year weighing exactly what I weighed *last* New Year. Over the course of 2012, I gained 12 pounds, then lost those 12 thanks to the holiday declutter fat thread. So I’m really just back to square one, but at least today I’m down another pound for a good head start this time. I’m not at all discouraged… our holiday thread gave me a chance to try some new things, mainly to cut out all sweets and snacks, which is something I had formerly thought to be impossible. I’m glad I proved myself wrong!

Kithkin

I’m a bit late for the party, but I’m in! I love Barb’s chart idea. Ella, given all the evidence that states most of us gain 2-3 pounds a year I think you’ve done awesome by overall maintaining and recognizing the trend before it becomes another 12 pounds. I’ve been hovering around the same general weight for 6 months, thanks to ridiculous test, then hosting visitors throughout the holidays. This is good though, because it’s an end to the 15-20 pounds per year I gained since school (7 years of that really adds up)

Don’t have a specific weight goal, as I’m doing an elimination diet to try and pin down dietary contributors to my migraines and irritable bowel stuff. Some of the science borders on the “woo woo” side, but it’s a nice place to start. The hard part is that we start with almost everything eliminated and then add things in slowly.

How sick of Lamb, salmon, sole, rice, oats, amaranth, cauliflower, green peas, beets, grapes, papaya, raspberries, cherries, olive oil, paprika, leeks and basil can a girl get in 10 days? I’ll make sure to give updates.

Also: re: oatmeal and fruit breakfast (liag) I love them, and also find that adding some ground flax seeds helps with the satiety factor.

OnARoll

Worked in a few veggies and a short walk. Nothing bangup but doing a little better every day.

Sky

3 good days so far! I started exercising today. Arm exercises with weights and squats. I have a cold and it has been cold and rainy outside so I haven’t been walking but I will when I can.

MegHom

Love the chart idea! I’ve been doing a few exercises in the morning before work and am slowly but surely getting back on track with regular water intake. For me, regular water/ herbal tea intake is about 60 ounces a day and it really keeps me away from junk.

britannia

Count me in! My maximum weight was 178 lbs about ten years ago. I decided then that I really didn’t want to buy yet another larger size in jeans, so I started cutting back. Not very successfully as I drop a few and then plateau for months.

I weighed 151 lbs on July 11, when I started to track things again. I dropped a lb a week for eight weeks and then plateaued again and went back up a bit after my vacation. I just realized that drinking water is the key and so I’ve started losing again. I’m down to 142 now. Just another pound and I’ll be in the Normal range. I haven’t been there is about 30 years.

Kithkin

Day 3 and going strong! Thinking about adding an activity challenge as well, maybe dusting off my old DVDs and getting sweaty.

Sky

britannia….Good for you! In the last 10 years my weight has climbed a little every year adding up to 20 lbs.
    I agree, water really helps. My goal is 1 to 1.5 lbs a week.

irishbell

Thanks Ella, I’m actually feeling a little better today, yay.
    Unfortunately, my appetite seems to be rearing its ugly head as well.
    And…it’s actually more like 1 1/2 years for the poundage lost, I checked my WW
    timeline. I’m glad to be in such fine company for this springtime fat declutterage.
    I find I need the accountability more than I thought I did.
    Here’s to fruit, veggies, whole grains, lean meat and water water water!!!

pkilmain

Haven’t actually weighed in yet, but i’ll get to it over the weekend. Hoping that some holiday pounds are not yet firmly attached. :)

After seeing a video on a super easy way to open/peel/gets airals out of a pomegranate, I did it yesterday (and it is easy) and this morning I had walnuts and pomegranate in my oatmeal. Very yummy!

Ella

I’m glad that my 1-pound droppage yesterday is still sticking today, and I even saw the next half-pound down flicker on the scale. So I am definitely feeling encouraged!

I missed lunch yesterday while out too long running errands, but I’m good for it again today. And for dinner last night I had a big chicken Caesar salad (everything organic) and a big glass of lemon water… very satisfying.

I agree, water is key to good health and weight loss. When fat is burned, toxic residue remains, and drinking more water helps cleanse it from the system.

rutheverhart

Worked out again, weighed in again, weight is exactly the same. It will drop one of these days. It will. It will.

OnARoll

Yesterday I made a little progress; a short green smoothie, a tall protein smoothie, a lighter lunch, and a 20 minute walk. Today my to-do list is a mile long and my energy level low. I will get in a yoga routine before 2 p.m.

liag

OnARoll (and others): Do you think it better to walk before or after eating?

pkilmain

liag – to paraphrase a WW leader I had once, the best time to exercise is when you have time! Or whatever works for you. :)

MegHom

I went to Tim Horton’s today & did not get a donut. I feel like I need to count that as progress!
    Pkilmain – great advice!!

OnARoll

@liag, I’ve always heard ‘them’ say to exercise (and sing!) on an empty stomach, but I don’t believe it matters much. Whatever feels good to you.

I did get in the yoga, it was longer and harder than I thought, but I got thru it and felt better. Good thing because the rain is unceasing.

Ella

It’s better for me to exercise after breakfast, to prevent a spike in my blood sugar. If I go out on an empty stomach, I end up either needing to stop for a snack (counter-productive!) or else cutting my walk much shorter than I would when I’m already fed. Also, my understanding is that exercise after a meal is good for digestion, indeed good for the whole gastrointestinal system.

Nina

When I exercise in the morning I often just eat something small and easily digested like a banana or a peace of toast. But I could never exercise after a full meal.
    I do think one should first and foremost pay attention to how one feels. Here is an article on this I found the other day: http://www.angrytrainerfitness.com/2013/01/fitness-fact-or-fiction-can-you-exercise-right-after-eating/

I am going to get my things ready for my 2 weeks of phase 1 south beach today to start tomorrow. After all the food that comes with the holiday I am looking forward to pared down, lighter and healthier food.

sleepykitten

I’m both on track and off the rails simultaneously. My weight is on track, but the last couple days I’ve been eating very sporadically – eating not-totally-healthy food at random times and not drinking enough water. I need to FOCUS!

Sky

I hate to exercise so I usually put it off so long I end up doing it right before my shower and bed. At least I’m doing it!

I stayed up too late last night, got hungry and ate a bowl of corn flakes with half a banana and almond milk. Not too bad, I guess.

Weigh in in the morning….

Ella

Down half a pound today. Enjoying lots of salads lately, to train myself away from the fattening comfort foods of winter. I used to think, oh it’s too cold for salad. But that’s nonsense.

OnARoll

I was busy filing/decluttering a lot of stuff that really needs digging through, so time-consuming. I hated to stop to get some exercise, but forced myself to at least catch a 20 minute walk, so I did, weather much improved, feels good. Back to the ratsnest of paperwork!

Sky

DH and I walked around the block. Now he’s napping!

pkilmain

Ella, I like to heat a 1/2 cup of black beans and put on top of my salad, then add salsa and bit of lf sour cream, which melts into the salsa and beans. Stir it aound and voila – a warm salad. :)

irishbell

Pkilmain- that sounds delicious! I love the creaminess that just a dab of sour cream adds.

luxcat

Hi Folks

Well I am back from vacation and very ready now to start peeling off those final stubborn pounds! As usual, I lost a few pounds on vacation despite eating whatever I wanted and drinking lots of wine. No stress and lots and lots of good quality sleep and plenty of walking every day seems to be the secret. Since I will only really be about to guarantee myself 1 of those 3 items (the walking) I am also making some adjustments to my diet for the next 30 days and see where it takes me. Hope I can keep the momentum going, I feel great!

paisley

Welcome back, luxcat! Glad you are well. We missed you.

Ella

luxcat wrote: “Since I will only really be about to guarantee myself 1 of those 3 items (the walking)…”

Oops, I skimmed that too fast. Thought you were going to say “the wine” :P
    Glad to see you back, luxcat!

Well, all this talk of walking… and here I was feeling tired and planning to spend a slothful Sunday lounging in my pj’s. But y’all got me up and out the door for a couple of hours, and I feel a good deal better now.

Nina

WB Lux – I wish I lost weight on vacation… I am glad when I don’t put on too much.
    I am finally starting my SB diet today and am more then ready – been feeling very full and bloated these past few days. I usually lose weight at my belly first and I am looking forward to my pants being a bit looser. I am also going to count my calories as I am curious to see how much they will be on this phase.

s

All, I am always interested in ways to declutter fat and get exercise (between naps!). Thought I’d share that SparkPeople is doing a January effort. I think you can start any time before Feb. I’ve done a couple of day’s workouts and they’re very reasonable so far. They even fit into a 15-min per day block. Neat!

s

Hi luxcat!

Pkilmain, Irishbell–
    Instead of sour cream, you might consider plain Greek yogurt. Gives the rich feel and tart taste with no fat…

Barbs

Welcome back Luxcat!

Had a few stressful days last week but I am feeling more energized today. I am not going to give up on this goal. The chart has been helpful for several reasons.
    During the last declutter fat thread I identified some things that are helpful So I consolidated that info and wrote it all down on a poster board (left over from kids school days and not yet decluttered). Writing things down solidifies and imprints them for me. I did not get all OCD making it. I just got out some sharpies in different colors and started writing.
    Categories include:
    *Eating Right
    *Exercise
    *Get good sleep
    *Self care
    *morning weigh in (taped a calendar page on it to record weight)
    *things to avoid

I assigned arbitrary points to each item. For example I get 5 points for every 8 ounce glass of water I drink. -5 points for every beer. up to 25 points for a good night’s sleep, etc. I am tired of beating myself up and decided to make a game of it. I actually said out loud in front of some family members that I plan to lose 6 pounds in January. They will not sabotage me.

After weighing the same 5 days in a row this morning I had dropped 3 pounds. This is also useful information. I won’t get discouraged if I don’t see results right away.

Good luck to everyone!

Ella

Wow, 3 pounds! Way to go, Barbs!

irishbell

I’ve tried to like Greek yogurt, but eeewwww, can’t stand it!
    I use light sour cream sparingly.
    I don’t use non- fat products as I can’t tolerate the taste, but low fat/ light
    I can do. Or I use the full fat whatever it is and just a little bit.

luxcat

Turns out I lost only 2 lbs on my trip, but I feel much less bloated. I am holding water right now from all the travel/not enough water on the plane/salty food and also it’s the week before that time of the month, so I bet I’m actually down another pound or so once the water weight gets flushed out of my system.

I decided to get aggresssive and cut about 1000 calories a day in order to try to reach my goal in 35 days. By giving up my 3-4 glasses of wine a day, giving up all sweets (not too hard for me actually, I’m not a sweets person), doing the stationary bike for a half hour daily and eating 3 set meals a day with no snacking allowed I think this is actually quite do-able. I’m a tall, fairly active person and eat mostly healthy foods and was probably taking in about 2500-3000 calories a day total before– so doing this without having to limit what I eat at my mealtimes (within reason of course) should do the trick.

For those considering low-fat or non-fat products, this is an interesting book to read. I changed from using most low or non fat products and instead use less of the full fat in order to avoid some of the food additives used in creating low/non fat items. Often they boost the sugar content or use other chemical or un-necessary additives to improve the flavor or consistency. I still use the lower fat versions if the labels indicate they didn’t use any of the additives to make it that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Fallacy-French-Secrets-Permanent/dp/1400049199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357590583&sr=1-1&keywords=the+fat+fallacy

http://www.amazon.com/French-Dont-Diet-Plan-Simple/dp/0307336522/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357590583&sr=1-2&keywords=the+fat+fallacy

Ella

luxcat: Like you, I eat full-fat dairy for the same reasons… milk, cheese, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, and butter. A little goes a looong way and tastes soooo much better.

However, I eat very lean meats, and use olive oil for most of my cooking. And, since pesticides build up to a far greater extent in animal tissues than in plants, I only eat meats, dairy, and eggs from organically raised animals, plus wild sockeye salmon. No hormones, no antibiotics, no artificial color fed to farm-raised salmon. Costs a bit more but so worth it! And since I’ve cut out spending on sweets and snacks, the money is there for higher-quality *real* food.
    Win-win (or maybe I should say, win-lose, for every pound I drop). :)

Sky

Week 1, 1 whole pound. I ate right, walked twice and did my hand weights 4 times.
    My metabolism is slow so I will continue on!

sleepykitten

I need to get back on track – FAST. Been depressed the past couple of days with low willpower, and my husband bought a fair amount of “junk food”. He might have been trying to help, but since the food is there, I have been eating it – i.e., not helpful at all. I weigh in on Friday, so there is still time to bounce back from this and meet my weekly goal. I just need to focus.

pkilmain

I pretty much gave up on most low fat, and all non-fat stuff. I just use less of the “real.” Otherwise, I pretty much eat as Ella described. At least my wild Alaskan salmon is not too expensive (if you count DH’s fishing trips as fun or vacation! LOL)

Tonight, however, we’re having wild Maine lobster! It’s my birthday, and I’ve not had any for at least 2 years (hard for a gal who grew up eating it).

OnARoll

An odd day, was feeling pretty great yesterday, this morning woke up drowsy and stayed that way, I think my blood pressure has now swung too low, for heaven’s sake.

Added veggies to dinner, added a fruit to breakfast, got in a 15 minute walk. Now to sleep off this drowsiness.

Ella

Happy birthday, pkilmain!!

Larousse

Joyeux anniversaire pkilmain!

I’m getting back into exercise after the holidays. Hurrah, my aqua gym class started up again last night – the pool had been closed for renovation so we weren’t sure it would have been finished in time. Hoping the Friday class goes ahead as planned too, because the teacher said he wasn’t 100% sure of coming back in the new year. <sigh> the classes are organized by a non-profit association so can be a bit haphazard.

Also, I got off the train a whole stop earlier this morning and walked 40 mins to the office! My pedometer says I have already done 4km and it’s only 10.30 am :D

Joless

We are working on this in our household. My GF decided she wants to lose about 3-5kg and I need to lose about 10-12kg. It’s much easier if we both do this together. Mainly we are cutting down on wine and beer (ahem), being more realistic about portion sizes and I need to cut out snacks and sweets because its so easy when home all day to just grab a bite of this or a piece of chocolate. Bad!

Interesting observation: cutting out wine with dinner seems to mean it’s far more likely that the washing up gets done…

irishbell

Happy day pkilmain!!!

luxcat

lol Joless- so true!!

and Happy Birthday Pklmain!

Today I saw the progress I suspected. I know it’s only water weight but it still is motivating. 1.6 lbs down this morning. I didn’t get my exercise in yesterday but I did drink the amount of water that I had set as a goal, and ate a very light dinner with lots of green veggies.

djk

Happy birthday, pkilmain!

s

Luxcat, I feel the same way about full-fat vs lower-fat….just have to weigh pros and cons.

1000 calories sounds like a bunch. But vey doable based on your assessment. Best wishes,

ooops. I haven’t been accountable here, and I still have cookies and crackers and cheeses left from Sunday’s party.

I will make my green smoothie now and jot down what I’ll eat the rest of the day. STOP MINDLESS MUNCHING!

s

Focus, sk! Don’t even look at the junk food!

s

Joeless, you said it!

Pkilmain, happy day and lobster eating!

sleepykitten

@s – Thanks! I’m trying… :)

@pkilmain – happy birthday!

Nina

Happy B-day Pkilmain!
    I have almost finished my second day of South Beach. I’ve felt pretty tired and had a headache yesterday and today – but that might also be because it’s that time of the month again. But I did lose 2 pounds (of water…) weight in a day, so I’m happy about that.
    I agree about the low-fat… and it’s the one thing I don’t like about this diet as it asks for no or low fat dairy and cheese. But I think I might “cheat” on that and just have a little of the real thing.

pkilmain

Low-fat cheese isn’t worth eating! Though, that being said, I do like the low-fat Laughing Cow cheese spread.

The lobster was delicious, and now I can go back to more normal meals. Still haven’t weighed. I’m starting a new exercise program next Monday, so I’ll do it then.

Barbs

@pkilmain – Happy Birthday!
    Also a belated thanks for the link to the Ode to the Oatmeal. Someday I am going to try one of those.

luxcat

@pklmain I couldn’t agree more about the Laughing Cow cheese spreads, they are delicious!

Day 3 of 35, no loss but no gain either. Since I was unable to exercise last night due to sales meeting/long drive home in the dark I’ll take that as a success. DH and I have a walk planned for this evening and Friday evening, so I just need to plan something for Thursday evening that I can do from home- such as stationary bike with a plank or two tossed in. It is not very safe for a sole female to exercise outside in my area after dark. I need to figure this into my planning somehow.

sleepykitten

@luxcat – I have the same safety problem with exercise. I have workout DVDs that I try to do when I need to exercise inside, but it is harder for me to find the motivation to exercise at home. (When I go on a walk, once I am outside, it is easy to just keep going. Inside, I am distracted by all the house stuff.) I’ve tried gyms before, but getting to and from the gym also requires walking at night, so that defeats the purpose!

I think I’ve gotten more-or-less on track again with my eating. I am still a pound heavier than I am supposed to be by Friday to meet my weekly goal. I am hoping that pound is water weight from the salty junk food and that I might still be able to make it go away.

Ella

SK: Glad to hear you’re getting back on track. How does the stickK program know whether you’ve met or missed your goal? Or does it go by the honor system?

Ella

As someone here recommended a couple of months ago, I’ve been reading “Younger Next Year” and am very impressed! I’m reading the men’s version though, and would prefer to switch to the women’s book, which I’ve put on reserve at the library. Either way, the authors make the soundest, most persuasive case for exercise I’ve ever read… daily exercise (or at *least* 6 days a week) in order to turn back the clock on aging, and stave off disease, decay, and decrepitude, in both body and mind.

They also drive home the point to forget dieting, just stop eating crap.
    Then weight loss will occur naturally… healthy weight loss with the necessary exercise component. The sedentary life is killing us, while modern medicine is keeping us alive longer… alive but not well.

Anyway… that got me out for a long brisk walk today in very cold windy weather. I wore my heavy jacket, which I haven’t been able to button around my middle for ages, and guess what? It buttoned! Comfortably too, not tight. YAY!

OnARoll

Cool, I got “Younger Next Year for Women” at the library and it is very motivating. Not the usual lecture, but a very sound explanation of a lot of things that go on in our aging bodies if we don’t get it together, and what to do! Highly recommended.

rutheverhart

“Younger Next Year” changed my husband’s life. And my life. It’s why we do Bodypump 3 times/wk. Good for you, Ella!

happymonkey

An attorney I sometimes work with read Younger Next Year a couple of years ago and started making a lot of positive changes in his life and health. He sent out an email to the firm very generously offering a copy of the book (male or female version) for all of the attorneys and staff who wanted one. I think he ended up giving away over a dozen copies. I read it then but need to read it again as a refresher for the new year. It really is very motivating.

luxcat

Hmmm I could use some motivation, especially with a birthday coming up which just reminds me that I am past the spring chicken era now for sure. I will have to look for that book, thanks!

sleepykitten

@Ella – stickK works on the honor system. I think it is possible to buy a fancy scale that automagically posts your weight to stickK, but I don’t want to spend money on that.

Also, with regards to sedentary lifestyle killing us and medicine keeping us alive – the other day I heard the phrase “health span”. As in, “we are increasing our life spans but not our health spans.” I really liked that way of looking at it.

luxcat

no progress this morning but no slide-back either. walked a bit over a mile last night, and made my water goals (64oz a day)

pkilmain

I managed to remember to weigh this morning. Weight was right where I left it, which I guess is better than being higher. :)

irishbell

First time ever I weighed less at the drs office with all my clothes on than I did at home, naked this morning! Ha.
    Have kept off the last 2 lbs, even though my appetite has returned. Guess it’s gone for good.
    Have to get back to the fruits and veggies, which are not what I lean towards when ill. I’ve got a couple big ol’ honey crisp apples in the fruit bowl right now, they’re looking pretty good.
    Keep up the good work and exercise and walking everyone! Well done!

Ella

irishbell: Congratz on kissing those 2 pounds goodbye. Keep getting well!

I’ve always thought it odd that, like you, I tend not to want to eat good-for-me foods when I’m ill. Likewise, when depressed, I don’t want to do good-for-me things, like getting out in the sunshine and engaging with friends. Instead I just want to hole up indoors, isolate, eat carby junk food, and wallow. Why doesn’t my system prompt me to do the opposite?

Now that I’m reading “Younger Next Year” I’m beginning to understand why this happens (if I’ve understood the book correctly). The body when stressed by illness and depression goes into bare-minimum survival mode and shuts down its healthy growth and repair mechanisms. Atrophy and decay set in. With long-term stress and/or sedentary lifestyle, the prolonged shut-down does damage to the body and brain, often irreversibly.

This shutdown, damage, and decay can be turned around 180 with healthy eating and exercise, both of which send signals to survive and thrive, not to die off.

irishbell

Thanks Ella, I’m a’tryin’!
    When you explain wha the book is saying, it surely makes sense, doesn’t it?

pkilmain

Just put the book on hold, so should have it by the weekend as it was not checked out.

s

Yay, Ella, on the coat buttoning!

With your inspiration, I’ve cut out snacks…well, I’ve cut out chocolate chips, which is huge! And I’ve seen a 2 pound weight loss in two weeks. Now I have to remember NOT to reward myself with a big bowl of ice cream!

Ella

s: Wise move! I’ve been using flowers and movies as my rewards… as long as I make sure to cut a wide circle around the candy counter.

sleepykitten

Just BARELY made my goal this week, but I did it! Hooray!

Now I need to buckle down to make sure I lose another pound this week – I do not want to cut it this close again.

luxcat

good work all!

I forgot to weigh in for a morning or two but was pleased to find today that I’ve lost another 2 lbs.

I was able to get a brisk 1 mile walk in last night.

about 1/3 through “younger next year for women” and really enjoying it so far. thanks for the reccommendation!

pkilmain

I got Younger Next Year for Women from the libary this morning, and so far it looks good.

Took myself to the gym this morning to do my PT exercises for my knee (I’ve done something to the IT band, and it’s inflamed and has been quite sore. A little PT and it’s getting better.)

Nina

Almost finished my first week on phase 1 (which is the strictest) of South Beach and after a few days of cravings, feeling tired and forgetful I feel like I have much more energy today so I worked out for the first time since starting.

After a week I’ve also gotten used to having my cup of tea without sugar and just one sweetner. As I am trying to cut out sweetener I will try it without next week.

I’ve also lost 2.5 pounds so far and feel like this could be a very sustainable diet especially after I slowly reintrudce good (wholewheat) carbs and starches and fruit.

Lovely to read about all of your progress and I hope you have a good next week everyone.

Ella

Sounds good, Nina, and congratulations on those first 2.5! Cutting out processed foods will take care of cutting out hidden sweeteners (the food industry loves to sneak them in under a myriad of mystery names, to make foods more tasty and cravable). Then you may find, as I have, that sweetening your tea or coffee is fine after all (I use stevia and a bit of honey or cane sugar). I’m not doing the SB thing, but I’ve found that after cutting out starchy foods, I didn’t need to reintroduce them at all and haven’t missed them.

Glad to hear you’re feeling well enough to work out, that’s more important than dieting, IMO.

Ella

I’m down a pound today. That makes 2 down, 13 to go until Easter.

luxcat

good work!

Ella

I got too impatient to wait 2 weeks for the library copy of “Younger Next Year for Women” to be available, so I went out and bought my own. Well worth it, as I expect to consult it often and hope to get a fresh dose of motivation.

Ella

Today one of my neighbors left a gift bag hanging on my door knob with a small box of dark chocolate mints inside plus a belated Happy New Year’s note. Argh! She knows I adore dark chocolate, but she doesn’t know about my current no-sweets policy. I put them in the far back kitchen cupboard, but I could still hear their muffled siren call all evening. So… I ate two.

I’m so relieved they weren’t fabulously divinely delicious, or I would’ve eaten them all. Instead I wrapped them in a paper bag, took it down the hall, and threw it down the trash chute. Then I wrote her a nice thank-you note.

Whew! I’ve been known to eat up junk food I didn’t even like, just to get rid of it so it wouldn’t keep beckoning me.

irishbell

Good going Ella!
    No loss no gain this week.

s

Ella, I am totally proud and impressed with your restraint and positive thoughts!

Nina

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Ella, good choice. I think that to succesfully lose weight one has to know ones weaknesses and sometimes it’s just easier getting rid of temptation.

I’ve lost 4.5 pounds so far in 10 days but am really missing fruit and having some grains or starches. But I am pround of staying on track. I realized that at the end of the day it all comes down to my frame of mind. I am determined to make a change and to finally lose this weight for good and I feel very good about my progress so far.

Larousse

Wow Ella I’m impressed! Well done on your self restraint. I hate throwing food away and probably would have tried to keep them in the cupboard but would have eaten them all.
    Well done Nina, it’s hard to follow a strict diet. Yes, frame of mind is the key, fortunately I’m in a mindset at the moment that I really want to get my weight under control.

I think I’ve nearly got rid of the kgs that came back over Christmas, though my scales are so inaccurate I never really know. Best indication is that some trousers that are often on the tight side, fit me perfectly at the moment.

I have been trying to watch my portion control, but my best weapon for decluttering fat is exercise – I have been adding in 2km, getting off the train a whole station earlier. I even did it this morning, a dry winter’s day but minus 3 degrees C! :D
    Some days where I have had a lot of trips to the photocopier the other side of the office, I have walked nearly 8km in a day. So I’m happy this is getting to be a routine, and having my pedometer switched on encourages me to keep on with it.

s

I’m not too bad at restraint at home. My boyfriend likes to have cookies, crackers, and nuts for snacks all day long (we’re both at home). I stay away from those pretty well, and he’s a skinny and avid cyclist, so he needs calories. But I’m short and not skinny, so I don’t. Having lots of fruit on the counter has helped a lot, for both of us. But we really enjoy taking advantage of the great events and presentations around town, which generally includes a nice restaurant. We given up almost all alcohol, but rich foods and desserts call my name!

Ella

I’m with you on the exercise. Larousse. At first it was an awful struggle, but now the more I do, the more energy I have. What a great feeling! Two days ago, I walked a brisk loop to the farmers market, then to Whole Foods and home, for a total of 3.5 miles carrying groceries. The last time I tried that, a year ago, I had to take the bus home because I was so badly winded and my chest and legs hurt. But this time I wasn’t a bit tired. Now I’m getting out for a walk nearly every day. Sometimes I plan to go for only 15 minutes, but one thing leads to another and it often ends up being an hour. I’m beginning to feel lighter on my feet from the weight loss so far, and that’s making it so much easier to zip along.

I’m down another half-pound today, which brings me halfway to my goal for this month.

sleepykitten

Great job, everyone! I’m just a couple tenths of a pound away from my next weekly goal/weigh-in tomorrow. The only problem is that I am totally uninspired by my kitchen right now. Got home from a business trip, dirty dishes everywhere and not much health food (there are cookies and chips – clearly DH is tired of my diet). So I’m hungry, but I am feeling like the LAST thing I want to do is cook.

OnARoll

Finally got in a walk after a 13-day stretch of rain, feel a little better. Hope to get in an actual workout tomorrow.

Ella

I’m lucky to live near a huge indoor shopping mall, so when the weather’s bad or it’s after dark, I can do a good circuit there up and down 5 levels. In a way it’s nicer than the street… indoors there’s no smoking so I can walk straight ahead at a steady pace. On the street I have to constantly zigzag to avoid smokers, but I still come home with my clothes reeking despite my best dodging efforts.

luxcat

I have had migraines three days in a row and it’s really messed up my work/exercise goals for the week as well as my sleep. However as a side effect I have not eaten very much and have skipped my normal evening wine so I’m still at the weight I was before, no gain. Yay!

Astreja
    Participant

ATAD and FATAD have worked so well for me that I’ve decided to sign on for the weight loss challenge too.

I need to drop quite a bit, but I’m going to try for a 15-pound weight loss by the Vernal Equinox. (More is better, but I’ll start by going for 15 and seeing what happens.) I’m going to take a baseline scale reading this evening and then start plotting out how to achieve this.

s

@sk, when I get the ‘don’t want to cook’ feeling, I like a sandwich or a warmed can of soup or basic spaghetti. I also go for Frito Pie, if we’re both feeling uninspired. It’s just chili over Frito chips (I like the low sodium ones). A little onion and cheese makes it really extravagant! :-)

Ella

My no-cook default setting is salad or eggs. Last night it was a spinach omelet with sourdough toast and decaf coffee. I love breakfast for dinner.

Well yippee! I’m down a full pound today. That makes 3 down this month. But more noteworthy, it’s 15 pounds dropped since I started this challenge in mid-October. I’m at my goal for New Year’s Day… a bit behind schedule but I got there!

sleepykitten

@s – I went the “totally unfrugal” route and paid to have some hummus and such delivered. The stupid thing is that hummus is simple to make…but I just couldn’t face it last night.

@Astreja – Welcome! I like having this extra bit of accountability and camaraderie (without having to actually join a “weight loss” forum – I don’t really need to talk THAT much about weight loss). I think the idea to break up your goals into pieces is smart.

Astreja
    Participant

(calibrates scale and gingerly steps on board)

Starting weight on January 18, 2013 is *meep* 228.

Yep, joining this thread is definitely a good idea. I think I’ll do all my weigh-ins like this, late in the day after dinner, rather than first thing in the morning. That way I’m looking at the worst-case scenario for the day.

Ella

Welcome Astreja, and LOL for the worst-case scenario. I weigh myself before bed AND again in the morning. It always gives me a little thrill to see an overnight weight loss, as artificial as it may be. Hey, whatever it takes to get me through the night. :)

sleepykitten

@Ella – way to go getting to 15 pounds down!

@Astreja – You can do it! 15 pounds will make a HUGE difference to your energy level.

herisff

I thought the following was a fabulous blog post by the CEO of Weight Watchers, David Kirchoff. I don’t follow his blog, but my sister (a WW lifetime member) sent me the link which she got from her WW leader.

This bit is what I thought was the best section:

“Every single time I have ever fallen off course and suffered a bad weigh in, it was a literal punch in the gut followed by a tirade of self-loathing and regret. As I reflect upon every one of those moments, I can say categorically that the intensity of the emotional response was completely outsized to the reality of the situation. I suffer from this false belief that being in control means never losing control.

“Just about everybody who deals with a weight issue experiences the sensation of failure and weakness when dealing with a weight regain. If everyone experiences periodic weight regains, does it mean that we are all failures?

“No. It. Does. Not.

“We have to constantly remind ourselves of why we gained the weight in the first place. We are surrounded by temptation. We use foods for a 100 reasons that have nothing to do with needing energy or nutrients. We particularly use foods as a form of self-medication. This is not a flaw. It is a very normal biologic response, cultivated over thousands of years of evolution. We were wired to eat and to conserve energy in our bodies.

“The problem we experience when seeking to maintain is that we are still surrounded by all of the pitfalls and traps that caused us to gain weight in the first place. Doesn’t it stand to reason that we will periodically trip up spectacularly? Obesity and weight issues require a lifetime of effort. Most good things do.

“Given all of this, we really need to cut ourselves some slack. I never cease to be amazed by the lack of empathy we have for ourselves. We are truly our own worst critics — meaner than the cruelest Internet cruising troll.

“When we regain weight, the only thing for us to recognize is simply that we regained weight. It stinks, but it happens. What really matters is what we do when we reach that point.”

For those who want to read the whole article:

http://manmeetsscale.com/2013/01/18/apologies-never-necessary/

I really need to keep this in mind and be much kinder to myself. I still weigh in at WW every week (barring being at work), but I plateaued/gained slightly from Thanksgiving until last week. Lots of reasons why but I was being mean to myself for wasting the money and not progressing. Anyway, I hope others find this helpful too!

s

Thanks, herisff. Sounds familiar to me, too. And not just about weight.

haven’t kept up with this thread in a while, nor have I been as vigilant or active as I sh/could have been.

congratulations, ella, on your fifteen pounds lost! you are an inspiration.

sleepykitten, yes, I’m glad this thread is here; I don’t want to join a dedicated weight-loss-only forum either. :)

thanks for sharing the perspective, herisff. same goes for research and writing progress–I’m a far crueller critic toward myself than I’d ever dream of being to anyone else.

I had a “good” weigh-in just now at 199.2–finally jumped the 200 fence–despite having eaten late-night, less healthful dinners with my youngest sister staying here two weeks ago and my brother here last week. I had pizza, burritos, cookies, and so on. I’m home by myself for the long weekend, so I have picked up extra greens and fresh fruits. I’ll resume my kale smoothies for energy boost, too.

Nina

Hi and welcome Astreja!

Great post herisff. I can relate to that feeling. 1.5 years ago I finally managed to lose 20 pounds and felt great. Then I plateaued and stopped dieting – within a year I had it all back. I was mad at myself and that was holding me back from really giving it another go.
    I’ve finally managed to move on and have to tell myself – if I manged to do it once I can do it again. And this time be more aware of falling back into old patterns. There will be set backs and stalls and even times when I got up again. But it doesn’t define me. I think it’s easy to fall into a hole when one goes up again and say “well… it doesn’t matter now anyway” and continue making bad food choices. But one slip up or even a months of them is nothing in the big sceme of things.

luxcat

today I did an “offical” weigh-in (clothes off, pre-breakfast) and was delighted to discover I am down another touch.

this means I am about half way to my goal, with 7.5 lbs left. My “drop dead date” of losing this is March 19th. Yes that is a long time for a small goal, but I have a ridiculous list of health issues which make exercise choices limited and my metabolism grumpy and slow. However, I shall perservere!

I do need to start some more weight bearing exercise, which will help make up for my severe thyroid issues (little sucker went on strike about 13 years ago, and I have been unable to hire a suitable replacement). When I was able to have a personal trainer for a short while 3 years ago we did a lot of weight bearing work and I saw a big, big difference FAST.

@prof clutter how do you make your kale smoothies? sounds interesting. we love kale around here, I might try to make one

for those new to the thread or revisiting it… I joined this thread about 3x over before really being able to commit to the goal, so if failing once, try- try again! Sometimes the time just isn’t right to tackle something new. For example, I’m not tackling any of the very interesting monthly or daily challenges shown in other threads this month. I’m just concentrating on getting my schedule under control and making sure I exercise daily.

herisff

@Prof.Clutter – a 2nd request for your kale smoothie recipe! I have one for spinach smoothies, but never thought to try kale as I thought it was more bitter.

Ella

luxcat: Just curious… why March 19th?

Nina

And gratz Elle on your 15 pounds!
    My next goal is to fit comfortably into my pants again that now are all too small. This means around another 6-8 pounds which I’d like to reach by the middle of March when I go on holiday.

luxcat

@Ella
    3rd wedding anniv., and the last time I was at or below my target weight was my wedding day 3 years ago
    I got very sick the next summer and ended up gaining more than I had ever weighed before

Ella

luxcat: That’s a lovely goal. You can do it!

OnARoll

Inspiring posts, all. I got in an hourlong workout yesterday, felt great and slept so much better. Three fruits today but only 1 veg, have to find some quick no-cook ways to get veggies!

irishbell

Down .4 lbs this week, slowing down a bit- after a month long hiatus my appetite has sadly returned!

sleepykitten

@OnARoll – For veggies, there are salads, obviously. But I think better advice might be from Tamar Adler via The Kitchn blog here: http://www.thekitchn.com/great-tip-preco-160933

Basically, you spend Sunday roasting/pre-cooking veggies for the entire week so you have them on hand to add to anything – wraps, rice bowls, heartier salads, etc.

I tried this once and it worked fairly well – I’d like to give it a more sustained experimental run soon.

Ella

Another goal reached today! I dropped another pound and that means I have now lost exactly 10 percent of my body weight since my starting weight three months ago (from Oct 20 to Jan 20). YAY!!!

So now I’m down 4 pounds this month, with 11 more to go by Easter.

OnARoll: I keep several bags of frozen organic vegetables on hand… makes it easy to toss peas and corn into soup, and chopped spinach in omelets and scrambled eggs and pasta sauce. I also buy jars of organic roasted red bell peppers… they’re wonderful diced in scrambled eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas. Also chopped celery and/or cucumber in tuna salad. I love baby carrots dipped in hummus. And I eat LOTS of salads.

luxcat and herisff, celery and apple make a nice counterpoint to the kale and parsley.
    I can make a batch and keep some covered in the fridge for the next day (less of a problem than for smoothies with dairy, citrus, or banana). Quantities vary depending on what I have in the fridge–this is what I did today, and it made 40 oz:

4-5 stalks celery, quartered
    1 Granny Smith apple, quartered
    1 bunch of kale (5-6 leaves with stalk)
    1/2 bunch parsley
    1 inch ginger root, diced
    water–I use just enough to get it blended, and add more before drinking.

A Vitamix blender was outside my budget, but a Ninja professional (1000 watt) works fine–3 mins on highest setting. (I also use drinking water to rinse out the blender, so I get another glass of liquid that way.)

I tried avocado in this smoothie, but I much prefer eating sliced avocados separately. For better nutrient absorption, I do have some healthy fats with a smoothie, usually a small handful of almonds.

Suggestions I’ve received but not yet tried: add wheatgrass or aloe vera pulp; add oats to make it a meal supplement.

luxcat

10%!!! Ella that’s great!

thanks for sharing the recipe prof. clutter- sounds wonderful

herisff

Thanks Prof.Clutter! My spinach smoothie is dairy based, so this one sounds interesting. I’m not sure if my blender is up to it, but I’m definitely going to give this a try.

Nina

2 weeks of phase 1 of my South Beach diet done and I’m very happy with my results. I’ve lost 2.3kg (just over 5 pounds) and 2cm round my stomach.
    I feel like not eating any carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc. has made me realize that sometimes I just grab these things because they are quick and easy. Now instead of a cookie or a piece of toast I have vegetables and a dip as a snack. And I’ve started eating legumes more again – filling and healthy.
    I’ve become more conscious about what I eat and I eat less ready made things – which I was hoping for with these 2 weeks.
    Over the next two weeks I can slowly reintroduce good carbs and fruit into my diet.

sleepykitten

For the first time in probably 5 years (since I gained a bunch of weight all at once – which I have been very slowly losing), I am in the 140s – 149.8! I suspect I will hover here for a while, because I felt sick yesterday and didn’t eat much. So I might go back up a smidge before continuing going down. But it is still a big milestone, and I’ll take it!

Also means I am only 10 pounds away from my goal (At which point I will re-evaluate how I look & feel. I used to have a goal of 130 – but 140 will get me into the high end of “normal” BMI for my height, and it might be as far as I feel like going. We’ll see.)

Astreja
    Participant

Weighed in late last night, and I’m already down a pound to 227. Friend and I didn’t go out for our usual nosh after Sunday renovations, and I had an egg and sausages for breakfast instead of my usual Sunday pancakes. (Also left most of the hash browns on the plate.)

Still trying to figure out a fitness plan that’ll fit into my schedule.

Ella

SK: Congratz on getting into the 140s. I know the relief you feel, I only just got there myself last month. I never want to see a 150-something number on the scale again. I re-evaluate every time I reach one of my mini goals, of which I have many. The mini goals help keep me motivated. For example, one more pound and I’ll meet my goal for January, another two pounds after that and I’ll reach the high-end of normal BMI. Every time I assess where I am, I find I’m feeling so much better than the last mini goal. I just want to keep going with that good feeling and see how much better it’ll get.

With the exercise component, I don’t have to deprive myself at meals. This weekend I had blueberry buckwheat pancakes topped with sliced banana sauteed in butter, toasted almonds, and maple syrup. And even so, the weight is still dropping. Exercise is really the key. I’ve been closely re-reading the Biology of Exercise chapter in Younger Next Young… SO fascinating!

luxcat

I’m feeling pretty good about this goal today. I have not lost any more weight but I am finding portion control much more natural now, and the addition of taking probiotics and boosting my water intake has reduced bloating.

DH had the day off work today (I did not) but he dragged me away from my desk to do a 10 mile bike ride this afternoon. I’m tired but not exhausted.

Exercise really is the key, Ella is right.

Ella

Uh-oh, I was up half a pound this morning. That’s not supposed to happen! So I went for a 3-hour adventure hike around the city. Gorgeous hot day. Well, hot for San Francisco… a blistering 66 degrees Fahrenheit. :)

pkilmain

My PT put me through some torture this morning; I fully expect to see a gain in the morning from accumulated fluids as my muscles repair. :)

OnARoll

@sleepykitten: Thank you for that link on roasting veggies ahead of time, brilliant! I did cook up a large bag of stir-fried veggies, not normally something I do but it is nice to have them on hand for a serving here and there. And I do need to roast some on Sundays, and cut a few crudites at the same time. Because I am not going to cook veggies from scratch every night or find some clever way to tuck them in a lunch, unless they are precut and precooked and just sitting there. Thanks!

Astreja
    Participant

I resisted buying a mini-trampoline at the store tonight, as the last thing I need around here is random pieces of exercise equipment. Also looked up a couple of local gyms on the ‘Net and am thinking of a few sessions with a trainer to help me set up a sensible program.

irishbell

Onaroll- pre cut veggies – Key to fast snacking the healthy way- I always have them on hand.
    And pre-cooking things for a quick heat up later on- also a great idea.
    My dh dislikes cooking anything ahead of time, but I don’t always have the time or energy to do it when I’m hungry.
    I’m finally down 2 lbs after a weeklong stalemate. Gives me hope.
    Ella- the rate you are going I bet your gain will quickly disappear.
    it seems the closer one gets to their goal weight, the longer it takes to finally be rid of it. The pounds don’t seem to melt off like they do in the beginning!

sleepykitten

@OnARoll – no prob! And pre-cutting veggies makes a lot of sense, too.

@irishbell – I am a bit like your DH, except I am coming to realize that pre-cooking/pre-cutting veggies is the best way to eat more of them. Otherwise, it is so easy to grab junk food.

I didn’t stay in the 140s for long – bumped back up a pound – but that’s the way it goes. I am so close that I know within a couple weeks I will be “safely” in the 140s.

Astreja
    Participant

Selected a training place that looks promising, and sent out an e-mail to inquire about meeting with a trainer. I’m specifically going to focus on working out at home rather than getting a gym membership.

Ella

You’re right, irishbell, I did drop that little gain already. I have faith in the fat-burning power of daily walking, it’s been working great so far. I’d also like to add some weight work at some point. Younger Next Year recommends 4 days a week aerobics plus 2 days strength training… say, 2 days aerobics followed by a day of weights, rinse and repeat.

YNY also recommends adding a higher-intensity aerobic sport from time to time.
    We-ell, I’m not the sporty type. I don’t like running, and I don’t see myself kayaking in the bay or slamming a volleyball. The horrid music in aerobic classes grates against my jazz-loving soul. Jazzercize classes are too far away and rather expensive. But then I thought, hey what about swing dancing? Turns out, there are weekly free swing dance and lindy hop lessons here in SF, so I can give it a try without paying a penny. If I make it to the next Sunday class, I’ll report back.

pkilmain

@Ella – I am enjoying YNY as well. I’m hoping my knee is better enough that I can do a lot of walking on my warm-weather vacation! Today however, walking acros the room is an effort – the PT really worked on it yesterday.

No weight loss to report – I haven’t weighed this week, oops.

Nina

Finally exercised yesterday and it felt really good. Just got a pair of winter running pants (my excuse what that I didn’t have the right clothes so I couldn’t go on a run) so tomorrow I plan on going on my first run in months.. I will take it slow but my long term goal would be to go running 2-3 times a week.
    Weight loss has stalled but they say that is normal when you start eating carbs again. Still hoping I might lose another pound by Monday.

Re eating more veggies: I always have several bags of frozen veggies (beans, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, peas) in my freezer. I often just cook them in the microwave and add a few spices. With meals I usually try to fill half my plate with veggies, a quarter with protein and a quarter with some good carbs or maybe some legumes.

Ella

Nina: Nice work on sticking with your SB plan! I use lots of frozen veggies, too. Last night I augmented a jar of pasta sauce with a package of frozen chopped spinach and some reconstituted dried mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Now I have enough sauce for maybe 6-7 more meals. Yum!

My weight is still holding steady at the 10%-down mark. I want to drop one more pound to meet my goal for January. But I’m awfully tired and haven’t been exercising the past few days because of working long late-night volunteer gigs, and another tonight. I hope I’ll feel up to doing the free “Lindy in the Park” dance lesson tomorrow, as a couple of my volunteer pals said it’s great fun. It’s held at the Music Concourse in Golden Gate Park, where traffic is barred on Sundays so there’s literally dancing in the streets.

OnARoll

Starting to get it together, I got another large workout in last night, and had a salad for lunch. That’s the first salad I’ve had since October I think, since the illnesses and cold and give-me-comfort-food season set in.

Got some lower sugar items at the store today–what is it with makers putting sugar in crackers, for heaven’s sake. And frozen entrees, and those vegetable juice/fruit blends, start the label with high-fructose-corn-syrup. Sheesh.

Bought some cocktail shrimp, I’ve never bought that before. I can do a low carb lunch with crudites and shrimp cocktail for less money than going out for a blue-plate special, so why not?

Ella

OnARoll: MRIs show that sugars and high-glycemic carbs light up the same pleasure areas in the brain as hard drugs, that’s why these foods are so addictive.
    Food manufacturer$ want us to crave their food products and keep buying and gobbling. According to Younger Next Year, exercise ALSO ignites that same brain chemistry, when done consistently.

This is your brain on drugs…
    This is your brain on sugar…
    This is your brain on exercise

I know which one I’m choosing.

luxcat

giving up HFCS was an eye opening experience for me. it’s in EVERYTHING- quite scary!

Astreja
    Participant

Okay, I’m officially signed up for 4 sessions with a personal trainer to help me design an exercise program. I just finished filling out a questionnaire, and once I’ve returned that we can schedule the first session.

Also investigated a couple of fitness equipment places and tried out a couple of exercise bikes.

And official weigh-in, at midnight Saturday night… (drum roll) …225! I’m down 2 pounds, mostly because I’ve cut my fast food consumption by at least half.

I’ve also decided that maybe diet soft drinks aren’t all that great an idea, and bought a case of soda water instead to satisfy my craving for cold fizzy drinks.

glossta1

Hello All, I’ve been very aware of the existence of this thread, but I have been studiously not reading it, because I couldn’t cope with the idea of adding another ‘should/must’ to my quite long list of stuff to do. However, here I am at last.

Pledge 1: I will read the entire thread before bed-time.

Pledge 2: I will start the process of going through my Weight-watchers bag of magazines and folders to structure and de-clutter it.

Ella

Welcome, glossta1. I felt the same way as you the first time this challenge emerged a couple years ago. I tried to get on board several times, and failed. What clicked for me this time around was a discussion on another thread about “paying yourself first” with good self-care. Like you (and probably everybody here), I have a long list of things to-do and to-be, but first and foremost, healthy eating and exercise are now at the top of the list every day.

So even though today’s plans to join a dance group at noon fell through because of a very late night last night, I will still go for a long walk along the waterfront today… maybe I’ll even stay out long enough to see the sunset.

rutheverhart

Today I weighed in before my workout. It was exactly the same as the time before, and the time before — all the way back to Christmas. I feel okay about this because I haven’t been scrupulous. On the other hand, I do workout hard 2 or 3 times a week, plus I walk 2 miles a couple other times a week, to balance out my sedentary job of writing. And I have not been eating poorly, overall. But I still do drink wine and eat things like gluten-free crackers or nuts in the evening. So I know what I would have to do to nudge the scale down. Mid-winter is a tough time to lose poundage! But I shall keep it as a goal, and keep trying to make slightly better meal choices and maybe workout just a bit more. We’ll see what happens. I refuse to ever use the word “diet” as applied to myself again. But I will try to remain conscious.

Congrats to Astreja and Ella! (and perhaps others, I haven’t stayed current reading all the posts). Fabulous job!

glossta1

Thank you Ella. And because I am still marking a big pile of books for tomorrow, I still haven’t started on my Pledge 2 for today. All the stuff I need for it is in one woven storage basket looking at me. I must make sure that even if I don’t make any material progress tonight I will have brought it out to my work-space ready for immediate action tomorrow. Perhaps I shouldn’t have made the Pledge – but aiming low isn’t aa good way to go – it seemed realistic at the time, so I should be mature about it and adjust my deadlines sensibly. Dinner had to be delayed because the girls were delayed getting home, so fair enough. But grr – it doesn’t feel like a perfect start.

Ella

Glossta, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Look at it this way: every meal is a new start, so you get three chances every day to do it right, whatever your version of right might be. The nice thing about this thread is taking it easy with small steps and small goals… at least that’s how I’m doing it. No pressure. :)

Ruth: I’m in awe of your workouts. I’ve shopped around for Bodypump sessions and found a few at some of the local gyms. That’s my first step!

Astreja: Looking forward to hearing how it goes with your trainer.

luxcat

@Astreja I bought this exercise bike back in October and I really like it. It’s very sturdy but still folds up if you need to store it away, and has a large comfy seat. As some of the comments say, the computer part of it isn’t very reliable, but for me I just need to know how far and roughly how fast I’m going, not so into the heart-rate functions, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007595TKU/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00

Ella

luxcat: Even better yet is having your DH kidnap you from work for long lovely bike rides together. Jealous! :)

irishbell

No system is perfect, for sure. I think- the simpler, the better.
    WW was perfect for me because of the simple way it taught me to eat.
    More fresh fruit and veggies, whole grain breads and pasta, lean meats,
    fish, limited dairy, (there’s more to it) but if you have a few ” rules/guidelines”
    you can follow- I think it makes it easier.

Nina

Hi and welcome Glossta.

Did well on the exercise last week, 3x weights and an almost 2 hour walk/hike yesterday. But didn’t stick to my diet for a dinner with friends (with lots of wine..) and on Saturday. So the scale is up 1.5 pounds – but at least I have lost more then an inch round my waist so hopefully my pants will be loser in a few weeks.
    So this week I want to continue with the exercise and go back to lighter meals with less carbs.

Joless

I have been eating and drinking less and getting some exercise videos in over the last few weeks. Even so, I started at Xkg, was the same a week later. Six days later I was X-3kg – yahoo! 24 hrs later, back to Xkg! Gah.

I walk 3-5 miles a day, have reduced drinking to fri/sat only, am cutting down on snacks (I was v bad) and generally trying to be better. Cannot seem to lose any weight though, ever.

Nina

Joless – have you tried tracking what you eat? When I first managed to lose weight sucessfully 1.5 years ago I did it with counting calories. While I now think there is more to weight loss then that – I do think it’s a great tool to learn portion control and see just how fast calories can add up.
    Also, alcohol doesn’t just have empty calories but supposedly slows down weight loss – so it might be worth trying to cut it out completly and see what happens.

Joless

@Nina – I tried tracking before but just what I ate as opposed to how many calories that meant. We mostly cook from scratch and I had a hard time finding all the data and working out portions etc. Maybe I should try again though. It would make an interesting study.

I appreciate the comment about calories in alcohol, but for the moment, I choose not to be that drastic :-)

Ella

Joless, this works for me: Eat dinner an hour earlier, then go to bed an hour earlier, but still get up at your normal time. The extra hour’s sleep will result in a weight drop, *if* you also maintain sensible eating (and drinking) and daily exercise.

If you drink a glass of alcohol, then also make sure to drink an extra glass of water.

You might be interested in reading the Biology of Exercise chapter in “Younger Next Year.” How long have you been walking 3-5 miles every day? Do you ever skip a day?

sleepykitten

@Joless – Water, water, water. I say that to everyone (and then I do stupid things like forget to drink enough water myself). I’ve found it really, really helps.

Also, I think it is important to eat breakfast to jump-start the metabolism. Your mileage may vary, there.

@Ella – I like “every meal is a new start”. I needed to hear that today, as I have been eating poorly the last couple of days due to work pressures. When you are up late into the night working, the snacks beckon….

irishbell

Waaahhhh! Up .6 lb.
    Had take out literally all weekend, so I shouldn’t be surprised.
    If baby doesn’t come on his own, dd will be induced tomorrow AM.
    Once this little one makes his appearance, I can come back to earth and normalcy.

irishbell

Oh, and about the eating breakfast everyday: I’m not usually hungry in the morning,
    so I wait until I get a tiny bit hungry. If I eat when I’m not hungry, it makes me feel bloated
    and “off” the rest of the day.
    But if I am hungry soon after I get up, I will eat, definitey.

Ella

Ta-DAH!! I dropped another pound today. That makes 5 pounds down, so I met my January goal a couple of days early. I hope to drop the same next month and March, too, but since February is a short month, this helps to give me a bit of a head start.

I usually wait to eat breakfast until I’ve been up for an hour. In the interim, I sip a big glass of hot lemon water to rehydrate, defog my brain, and cleanse the system of any residue from the night before. When I finish “priming the pump” that cues the hunger pangs and I’m ready to eat. I love breakfast.

irishbell: I’m pacing the floor with you. Keep us posted!

Nina

Well done Ella! I know the scale isn’t the only way to measure progress when it comes to weight loss and leading a healtier life – but I know it does motivate me when I see the number going down. I’m finally going down again and I can actually feel my body changing – espeically my stomach is smaller.

I know that most weight loss experts say one should eat breakfast (and I do every day), but my husband hardly ever eats breakfast and he has problems gaining weight. So I think there are no rules that fit all. One thing eating breakfast might help with is if you tend to overeat at lunchtime because you are just too hungry by then. I’ve also noticed that I tend to make bad decissions about what I am going to eat if I get overly hungry.

Joless

Thanks everyone! I know I need to drink more water for certain, so that’s something I can work on. I am not going to manage to eat earlier. I have tried to persuade my GF because I want to eat at maybe 8 but she won’t have it and we always eat at 9 or later. Given up on that particular fight. I always have breakfast so that’s covered, and I am trying to cut down on bread by cutting it out of breakfast altogether.

I have been walking that far since we got a dog, so about four or five years. I do skip odd days when someone else does the walking :-) maybe a couple of days a month. I also play hockey and have started exercise videos at home.

I think I need to drink more water and keep going with the extra exercise videos. See how things pan out. I’ll take a look at that book too, @Ella, cheers.

Ella

Definitely, more water is a good thing, and it might help mitigate late-night eating a bit. I cut my breakfast bread consumption by half, from two slices of toast to one, or from a whole bagel to a half, and I didn’t suffer. Then I found that half a sandwich at lunch was sufficient, as well as half the amount of any bread at dinner. Ground wheat is high glycemic, even wholewheat flour, surprisingly.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400088

luxcat

@joless

water helped me, plus I started taking probiotics which really helps… uh… keep things moving. Like you I tend to gain and lose several lbs in one day. I think some of it might be related to my salt intake, which is fairly high.

also like you I can’t change my dinner time due to my partner’s schedule. we try to find a happy medium, but it usually results in me still eating later and getting to bed later than I would like, rather than give up time with him.

if you continue to struggle, you might get your thyroid checked. I found out at age 25 (many a moon ago) that mine had quit working. I found out when I went to the Dr and said “I go to the gym every day, I eat 1200 calories a day, I’ve tracked this for six months and have not lost an ounce, what’s up?”

what was up is that I had an immune system issue that shut down my thyroid. It’s still a challenge but medication makes oodles of difference.

just a thought

Astreja
    Participant

Weigh-in tonight; I’m down half a pound to 224.5. Tomorrow I meet the personal trainer and start setting up an exercise routine.

Ella

Feb 1st: I intend to declutter 5 more pounds this month. Let the games begin!

Astreja
    Participant

Just back from my appointment with the personal trainer. First week: Cardio 3 days a week, plus a slight increase in vegetables. Looks quite doable so far.

rutheverhart

Weighted in yesterday and am down 2.5 pounds. All of a sudden, after a long stretch of no change. Now I am exactly where I was in early December before I gained a bit over the holidays. In early December I had lost approx 6 pounds over a period of about two months. So now I am back on track after a hiccup. At least that’s how I’m choosing to lack at it.

My goal: Lose 10 pounds by June.

Ella

I mentioned this program long ago, but thought I’d mention it again in case anyone would like to try it. I’m using a free online tracking/graphing program at skinnyr.com. It’s very motivating to be able to see my progress, and I can customize the view for different periods. It’s especially helpful whenever I hit a plateau… I can see the patterns of previous plateaus, which helps me persevere thorough a current one.

Ella

Down half a pound this morning after unexpected dancing at a hot latin jazz concert last night. The band waved everybody up on our feet. It was so much fun!

OnARoll

Congratulations to the pound-losers!

No progress here on the weight front yet, but I’m cutting down on calories and boosting up the veggies after a few way too bread-y days.

Have gotten in more walks and swims, and took my first T’ai Chi class, it went well despite a minor injury from swimming too enthusiastically. Feeling better now and blessedly the weather is smiling down, so that helps too.

Nina

No weight loss but inches (and body fat according to my clever scale) so I am happy with that. Hope once my body adaptes to the exercise I will start losing again.

luxcat

biked about six miles on sunday and was not too tired or sore after, good sign!

Realized that eating lettuce makes my tummy very sad- after having lettuce two meals in a row. I am wondering if the myriad of symptoms and strange food reactions I have had the last year or so is related to the beginning stages of IBS. I did some research and the symptoms are quite familar.

This would also explain the rather radical see-sawing in my weight from day to day, and the bloating and pain I get after eating nearly anything. I bought some stronger probiotics and made a little war-plan of how I will progress to see if I can isolate what is causing this painful and annoying thing!

All that said at least this morning I am back down to only about a half lb heavier than my lowest weight since starting this challenge seriously, which I am happy about. It’s good enough progress for me at the moment!

sleepykitten

@luxcat – Pain after eating nearly anything? Poor luxcat! Seems like you should start by eliminating everything that is possibly an allergy and then add them back in one at a time? Weirdly, I do actually know some people who are allergic to lettuce (but not other greens, like spinach), so lettuce allergies are real.

I am at 149 pounds as of this morning. That’s the weight I “need” to be by my Friday weigh-in, but I haven’t really managed to stay in the 140s for more than a day or so in the past. I need to stay steady and focused. And do some exercise tonight.

Ella

Poor luxcat! I was certain I was developing IBS last year. It was really awful. But now I think it was yet another manifestation of my stress. The symptoms have vanished since I’ve been eating this “new” way, drinking more water, walking daily, and – probably most important – sleeping longer and better.

s

Any suggestions for vegetable snacks? We’ve done great at having fruit (grapes, apples, pears, clementines) on the counter for snacking, but now I want to reduce sugar, even from fruit. I like vegs, but want something that is easy and nibble-able, with minimal prep required.

Barbs

baby carrots, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower (you need to cut that up but it is not too bad)

Ella

Mmmmmm!… baby carrots and celery sticks with hummus. This has perfectly solved my former problem of craving chips at lunch with my sandwich. The hummus satisfies the savory craving, and the veggies satisfy the need for crunch.

liag

S–Edamame?
    Ella–do you make hummus yourself or do you buy ready-made? If you have a good recipe, please share! I tried–not as good as the Sabra classic. Now I am hungry.

Ella

liag: I buy Tribal brand at Whole Foods. My fave is their organic hummus with roasted red pepper added.

For anybody who’s looking for ideas to eat more vegetables: I just found a great website…The Sneaky Chef…originally geared for moms trying to get their kids to eat their veggies. Lots of wonderful classic recipes with a sneaky twist: there are loads of “stealth” vegetables hidden inside. Check it out.

Astreja
    Participant

I now have the first and probably the single most critical part of my home gym. Took my new recumbent bike for its first spin today, and managed a 12-minute cardio session. The hard part was to get my heartbeat back down below 100 afterwards — I had to extend the cool-down segment by a few minutes. Maybe next time I’ll tune the radio to jazz rather than the local heavy metal station. :-D

Ella

Astreja: Does your recumbent bike have a built-in heart monitor, or do you use a separate one? I’m interested in buying a heart monitor, as recommended in Younger Next Year. I’ve never used one and don’t know what to look for in a good basic one without frills.

So… today I looked at the weight on my driver’s license, which I applied for 3 years ago. At that time I, uh, lied a teeny bit. OK, I admit it, I couldn’t bear to face up to my true poundage so I lopped off 15.
    Anyway… today I realized that I’m now only a pound away from that fake weight. Only one pound! I hope to drop it this week. Then I’ll have to go get a new license and write in another 15-pound lie on the application. Do you think they can tell? :D

Astreja
    Participant

@Ella: My bike comes with a built-in monitor, with sensors in the handlebars. My trainer has a watch-type one that can also communicate with a sensor strap worn around the ribcage of the person she’s training, but rather than paying a lot of money for one of those she suggested counting the pulse for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6. Okay if one is on a stationary exercise machine in front of a clock with a second hand; not so okay when outside and on the move.

I was actually startled when she told me that decent monitors run around $100 CDN. I’d rather spend that on a good mat and a couple of weights.

Weighed in just a few minutes ago. No weight loss or gain, but reassuring considering I just finished supper.

Nina

When I started working out 2 years ago I bought a Polar heart rate monitor and i have to say it has been worth every penny. Seeing the number after a hard workout is a nice reward and I don’t have to guess about how much I have actually burned. I have seen some sold second hand so it might be worth checking ebay or similar places.
    Astreja – I would be careful with the one in your bike, even if it does monitor your heart rate as they are usually not that accurate (unless maybe you can program it with your age, weight, sex and height).
    I track my calories on a website and you can also enter exercise and in my experience their suggested calories for an exercise are usually around 20% too high.
    Ella – congrats! Must feel great. About the weight lie… my guess is you are not the only one :-P

Astreja
    Participant

@Nina: I may eventually get a stand-alone monitor, but for the moment I just need something to tell me when I’m between 100 and 125 bpm. I do think that it’s a Polar that my trainer has, though.

Did another session on the bike, and logged 19 minutes (3 minutes each warm-up and cool-down, with 13 minutes in the target zone. Better yet, this was supposed to be an “off” day on the schedule (I have rehearsals on Wednesdays and Thursdays, so if I do manage to get a session in, it’s a bonus.)

sleepykitten

I fear this is my first Friday since November 23rd that I did NOT meet my weight goal. Which means – *gasp* – $5 of my hard-earned money has been auto-magically sent to a lobbying group I despise. Ouch. It hurts.

I had a rough week and I also have been hovering at a plateau. The past couple weeks I *barely* made the weigh-ins – I’m supposed to lose 1 pound a week, but in reality, during the week for the past few weeks my weight has just danced around this 150 pound plateau and it was mostly luck that I was able to hit lower weights on weigh-in days.

So, long story short, I need to break through this plateau – and fast!

luxcat

hang in there kitten, “this too shall pass”

I’ve had a rough week and over indulged a couple days. I re-committed today to trying a fairly low-carb diet (no wheat, barley or rye, limited rice and potato is ok) to see if it helps my tummy… and probably my weight. Day 3 of high grade pro-biotics.

Ella

SK: You have my deep admiration for honoring your commitment. I hope you won’t have to face it again, though. I’m stuck on a plateau, too. Salad for dinner tonight!

In the past week, I’ve had to “run for it” twice. First, a 2-block sprint to catch the cable car; and second, last night’s 1-mile walk/dash through the pelting rain. In both cases, I reached my destination *without* my chest hurting or gasping for breath as if I would die, which is how it usually goes if I try to run. I do believe I’m getting fitter from all the walking… this is a new experience!

s

Yum, Barbs, Ella, liag!

Nina

Dear SK – I hit a plateau 1.5 years ago after I lost around 20 pounds… it lasted for over a month until I kind of gave up and decided to “take a break” from my diet due to stres.. long story short, I put on all the weight I had lost in about a year.
    I am not telling you to try and discourage you, but rather to say that if I could turn back the hands of time I wish I hadn’t given up that easily.
    From everything I’ve been reading one thing that can help with a plateau is to switch things up. Our bodies get used to what & how much we eat and our exercise. So trying something new, be it eating differently or some new for of exercise can help. Hopefully that way your plateau will be over in no time.

irishbell

If you consider that as we age over 40 or 50 we put on a pound a year, so to lose 10 or 20 lbs in a year is fabulous!
    I’ve taken nearly 18 months now to do so. While I wish it were faster, it has stayed off and been fairly simple and easy to do.
    My thinking is if I keep up with the good eating habits and exercise, it will keep coming off until my body decides its at a good place.
    I’ve hit a few plateaus myself, gained a few lbs back here and there- but so far I’ve been persevering, slow and steady wins the race, right? lol.
    I’ve had a bit of intestinal issues myself this week, with a loss of 3 lbs in one day etc.
    I won’t weigh again until the ol’ body rights itself.
    We all seem to be on the right track, whichever one works for us, and it is good to come here and be accountable
    and hear all your progress, and i thank you for sharing :)
    Good for all of us for wanting to be healthy, it is never too late to start.

luxcat

Well, after almost two weeks of holding at a weight just 4 lbs below where I had first started (I had dropped as low as 5.5 lbs below the starting weight but gained it back fast)… I decided to give the whole gluten free thing (in my case in the form of a modified “paleo” type diet) a four week trial. The more I read about my digestive issues, the more I thought it was worth a try and I might at least feel better if not lose weight… and if I felt better I might be more motivated to exercise in the long run.

the day before I started I ate bread and pizza nearly all day, I have to admit

for a little over 24 hours now I have not had any wheat, rye or barley and have limited but not forbidden rice and potato. all other aspects of my diet remained the same as did exercise levels and water intake.

I dropped 1.9 lbs almost overnight… what’s even more interesting is that (sorry if TMI) it’s a couple days before that time of the month, when I often carry up 2-5 lbs extra water and bloating weight. I’m interested to see what the scale says in 5-7 days, and after another week on this diet.

Ella

Congratz, luxcat. I think what Nina said is generally true, that when we change up our food and exercise a bit, it helps nudge our bod off the plateau.

sleepykitten

@Ella – I knew if I lied about my weight to avoid facing the consequences, it wouldn’t work as a motivational tool for the NEXT 9 weeks. I believe I can make this work!

@Nina – thanks for the advice about “switching things up” – I think you’re absolutely right. I have some different exercise DVDs I can try that will work muscles I’ve been ignoring, so that might help. Switching up the diet side is harder to do, but @luxcat‘s experiment with gluten free living sounds intriguing. I just really, really like bread! :)

Astreja
    Participant

Met with my personal trainer for the second time, and came home with a strength program that uses only a couple of pieces of equipment. Between the squats, pushups, calf raises and core exercises, I’m going to be busy.

Ella

Hooray, I finally dropped a pound. That was a 12-day plateau, pretty annoying.
    Now I’m down to the weight I lied about on my driver’s license. :P

Congratulations on matching driver’s license weight, Ella!

(I got my license 55# ago. It expires in November this year, so I’ll see how much weight I can declutter by then!)

luxcat

@Astreja…. sounds pretty hard core! With that sort of strength work you should see results fast.

@Ella…. Hooray!

I had a special dinner out last night with family and allowed myself to eat one small roll but stuck to my “diet” otherwise. Today so far had a mammoth salad with lots of veggies, romaine, avocado, and chopped chicken. It will be interesting to see if lettuce is one of the culprits as I suspected or if it’s really been the wheat products causing the distress. Even after a huge meal last night I remain at expected weight and not bloated or tired.

Six mile bike ride with DH today, it’s chilly out there!

Ella

That salad sounds delish, luxcat. What veggies did you include? I’m always looking for good salad variations.

I’m having a chicken caesar salad for dinner tonight: romaine, roast chicken breast, celery, toasted walnuts.

luxcat

I had the luxury of ordering at a restaurant where you pick 4 veggies (off a list of about 20), 1 protien or pasta to go on the romaine, plus one side. I picked green bell pepper, sprouts, green onion, tomato, and white chicken meat for the second part. For $1 I could add avocado and they gave a very generous chunk (over 1/2 of one). I had raw fruit salad on the side and turned down the pita that is normally included in the meal.

I will have to try toasted walnuts, sounds good!

The salad didn’t stick with me (probably because it was the only thing I ate all day and the aforementioned 6 mile bike ride) is a factor too so right now I’m snacking on organic string cheese, grape tomatoes, and a few slices of salami. The salami is not really on the diet (nitrates) but we already had bought it it and I enjoy it.

Dinner tonight is more chicken (found some organic legs and wings cheap at whole foods- DH will BBQ with a little garlic salt), brussels sprouts and maybe some baked potato if I’m still not full. Potato and rice is discouraged on this plan but not entirely forbidden.

Nina

Yay – after 3 weeks of losing and re-gaining the same 1.5 pounds the scale is finally moving down again. I have to remember this when the next plateau comes along (hopefully not for a looooooooooong time).

Ella – great to hear that you have also come of a plateau.

luxcat

good work Nina!

I am down another half lb today and the salad didn’t disturb me any, so I think this no-wheat thing is working. Also that bike ride followed by a walk to the store didn’t hurt any either I’m sure. I’m SO happy to finally be seeing some real progress!

Ella

Happy news, luxcat and Nina!

I’m down another half-pound today. My endocrinologist rescheduled my appointment last week, so I’ll see her tomorrow instead. It would be so cool if I could drop the full pound by then, as that would bring me to my next important mini goal, and I want to show off for her. :D

Last fall she threatened that unless something changed for the better, I would have to start injecting insulin. I never want to do that!

Astreja
    Participant

No weight change, but today I went through my home strength training program for the first time and clocked 14 minutes on the bike (not counting warm-up or cool-down).

luxcat

ye gods and little fishes. I am down another half a pound.

you guys gotta understand… it normally takes me WEEKS to lose even a tiny amount of weight. I always blamed it on my long time thyroid issue…. maybe I was wrong!

Got in a mile long walk last night with DH (I don’t walk alone around here after dark- can’t wait for the longer days!). Ate some stuff for lunch that I am not supposed to have too much of (had rice, corn tortilla and beans at same meal… supposed to limit all 3 of those but didn’t really have a choice), drank wine, ate cheese…and fish with tons of pesto… and lost weight.

What I am finding is that I am just not as hungry and I am satisfied with less without even trying. I often get migraines during this week of the month and so far (knock on wood) I have not had any. I do crave wheat products and last night had to really ride the wave for a while to stop from asking DH to share some crackers with me…I also had a really odd dream about eating a sourdough roll… in a way this feels like quitting smoking all over again… but if this sort of weight loss is my reward, it is sooooo worth it.

Ella

So good to hear that this meal plan is working for you, luxcat. I recently stumbled across a well-written blog about wheat-free eating, which might be of interest:
    http://blog.seguinspear.com/?p=9

Going out for an evening stroll is so lovely, especially after dinner. Wish I lived in a safe area for it.

I did not go see my endo today after all. My cold is much worse, and consequently my blood sugar is through the roof. I really shouldn’t have gone out yesterday, but the weather was so nice and I did love seeing those cherry blossoms. Today I must lay low, blow, drink an ocean of tea, neti my nose, and catch up on this here towering stack of magazines.

Ella

Yay, I dropped that full pound today. Which takes me OUT of the “overweight” category and into the tippy-top highest end of “normal” BMI. You wouldn’t know it to look at me, but still.

I know some people think the BMI is a load of hooey, but my doctor says it’s a good general guideline. Better though, she says there’s a very simple rule: Your waist measurement should be less than half your height measurement. More than that, and you are courting heart disease. I still have several inches to go before I’m out of that danger zone.

But yay me, anyway. Now I’m down 7 pounds since New Year, with 8 more to go by Easter.

irishbell

way to go luxcat and Ella!
    unfortunately,I am at a standstill, but not gaining any.
    I’ve not been eating much, but it has been the wrong stuff.
    so, no big surprise.

luxcat

amazing work Ella, congrats!

s

Yay Ella! Always inspiring.

Nina

Here’s a reason NOT to step on the scale each day.. today I’m suddenly up 2lb since yesterday and while I eat a bit more last night I didn’t have anything that would have pushed my scale up like this.
    I’m not giving up but this Jo-Jo-weight is making me mad. Hope the 2lb are gone tomorrow.

luxcat

Hugs Nina that happens to me all the time- water weight/bloating or sometimes bathroom issues or both…don’t let it hold you back… I continue to weigh daily but rather than dwell on specific weights I just watch for the curve to continue a gentle downward trend. If it flattens out for longer than a week, I reconsider the situtation and create new plan of attack.

It is nearly certain I have some sort of grain sensitivity. I ate a wheat tortilla on Thursday and had weight gain on Friday. A day of no wheat and plenty of water (and also plenty of food and wine) dropped it right back off again to the lowest weight I have seen in about 2 years. Six lbs to goal!

Ella

Nina: You’re not alone. I regained 2 pounds this morning, who knows why. Too much salt in the soup, no walking for the past week, and/or too little sleep from coughing all night. Saturdays I always graph my weight and had been looking forward to marking 2 pounds DOWN for this week. But instead I’m at the same weight as last week. AND back up into the “overweight” BMI category again, darn it all.
    What’s the use of being sick if you can’t waste away while you’re at it?

Astreja
    Participant

Weight hovering in the general area of 224-225. Did a full workout at home today, including strength, core, balance and cardio (and am finally getting the hang of the side plank exercise).

Nina

Thank you for your encouragement.
    Luxcat – while I don’t think I have a grain sensitivity I deffinitly notice that I lose less weight when I do eat grains, especially at night. But I’m just not ready to completly give up bread, pasta ect… I just have to moderate it and try to eat it early in the day.
    Ella – hopefully we will lose those 2 pounds FOR GOOD next week and I’m sure you’ll be in the not-overweight BMI in no time.
    Astreja – hope you enjoyed your workout. I did one aswell today and while I might be a looong way from my goal weight I feel so much better when I work out.

s

Ella, too true! I wonder why fat doesn’t melt off in a hot shower!?!?

s

Great work, Astreja! I never do get side planks quite right.

Ella

Up another pound today. :(
    How can this be? My throat is so sore and swollen, I’m barely able to get down only 1000 calories a day. I’m all puffy and weak. Maybe my body has shifted into famine/survival mode.
    And the nice weather took a bad turn, very cold/rainy/windy, so I cancelled my endo appointment to stay in and lay low for who knows how many more days. I miss my long walks. I want my health back. :(

paisley

Sending healing thoughts to you, Ella. Don’t worry too much about the weight gain when you are sick. You were obviously doing everything right and your weight was moving in the direction you wanted. Illnesses are a pain (every sense of the word), but they are a blip on the screen in terms of your new, healthy lifestyle. If you are exercising and eating properly whenever you are well, then this temporary up-tick will be easily overwhelmed. You are likely right that you are in survival mode. Take care of yourself. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Nina

I hope you feel better soon Ella and I’m sure the scale will move in the right direction again when you are able to eat properly again and move more.

Due to health reasons (bad stomach thing – probably an insensitivity to pork) I have lost around 5lb ins 2 days. But I know this will be back soon when I can eat normally again. I feel much better today and hope I am fit enough to workout tomorrow.

luxcat

Hang in there Ella! I wonder if your body has just slammed on the brakes and said “hold on! we’re sick! we might need every calorie and drop of water to survive!”. While our brains have adapted quickly to modern living our bodies are often a few thousand years behind :)

After a plateau of some days I am 1.7 lbs down today.

irishbell

Yes Ella, hang in there, this too shall pass, eventually. If it is something like the crud that’s been going around these parts, you may feel like you’ll never get over it. But you will, especially with all the good work you and your body have been doing!! :)

Anonymous

I’m working on my diet too. I try to take a positive spin on it – trimming some fat would be nice, but it’s about gaining health and fitness. I try not think about depriving myself of things but rather making positive inclusions. I feel really smug when I have a shopping cart full of lovely vegetables. Fancy fruit like raspberries are a treat.

It’s complicated though, I have so many health issues that limit my choices – I can’t eat much fruit and especially not dried fruit, and while I don’t believe in that low-fat nonsense, cheese and cream seem to trigger some health problems. Sadly. I love cream. Even some vegetables I can only have in moderation. But I try to include a good variety and that helps.

Ella

I’ve dropped one of those sick-day pounds. My weight on the doctor’s scale this morning (fully dressed, including shoes) was 3 pounds more than my weight at home undressed. So it’s good to know my home scale is reliable.

I have been eating very healthfully all during this ordeal, but I’m really feeling the lack of exercise.

sleepykitten

@klutzgrrl – I also feel smug and proud of myself when I’m buying lots of veggies. Especially if I am standing behind someone with nothing but booze and frozen pizzas (although I’ve been there, too).

@Ella – you are doing just fine. Once you start feeling better, I have a feeling the weight will melt off.

I’m still having a bit of trouble staying in the 140s. Due to a bit of luck with timing, so far I’ve only failed my stickK weight goals (and had to pay) once. But I’ve had multiple weeks of very little progress and I’m feeling sort of discouraged. I started this week off strong, actually, but then had to pull a couple all-nighters to meet deadlines and ended up making poor food choices due to lack of sleep. More deadlines coming next week, too, unfortunately.

luxcat

OH MY GOD SLEEPYKITTEN WAS BEHIND ME IN THE STORE.

Just kidding. Sorta.

My weight is bouncing around this week. Too much salt I think and also I ate wheat products twice- including my super favorite Chiang Mai noodles (crispy noodles, curried coconut cream and chicken sauce) and veggie spring rolls (not fried, but fresh and delicious) from the local Thai place last night when I was left to fend for myself for dinner and DH was down at the pub.

I still feel good however and I think in another month or so I will see the 140s for the first time in three years. If I can stay in the upper range of that I would be a very, very happy woman. Weather is supposed to be cool and sunny this weekend which bodes well for a couple walks and a bike ride.

Ella

SK: I’m so sorry that you have to work those grueling hours. I did that for years, and it really took its toll. I hope you can get in a few good salads and solid z’s this next week. Take care of you!

Luxcat: Wah! I want to go bike riding with you. I think one of the reasons why I feel so rotten is that I’m not getting my mood-boosting daily walks. Maybe this weekend I’ll bundle up carefully and go for a slow stroll through the deserted financial district, instead of my normal brisk clip. I had built up such a good steady level of endurance climbing hills, now I’m afraid I have to start over taking it very easy. I’m going a little stir-crazy in here!

Today I’m at 143 pounds, up from 141 at the onset of this sore throat thing. I’m only 5’3″ so I still look (and feel) way too fat. It’s all concentrated around my middle, like a little butterball. Weight loss doesn’t really show on me until I get down in the 120s (115 is my ideal), and then people suddenly start noticing and complimenting me. I went through this in 2004… lost 45 pounds down to 115 and felt fabulous. Walked it off on the beach! I know I can lose it again, but I sure never figured on being sidelined by a vicious little bug. Now it looks like I won’t remotely come close to my goal for February, boo hoo.

The good part is that by now I’ve lost my cravings for unhealthy foods. I had some chocolate on Valentine’s Day and it was just meh. I can safely stand in the chips aisle and it all looks like poison to me. That’s a new experience! I just want to keep eating as I have done since October… fresh organic whole foods.

sleepykitten

@Ella – Thanks. I am going to try to “pay myself first” with self care this weekend like we’ve talked about before.

I also think we might have similar body types. I am 5’4″ and my weight also concentrates around my middle – which is frustrating, because I’ve read frequently that, genetically, people who gain around the stomach are more likely to have health problems associated with weight gain than people who gain around the hips and behind. I’ve ALWAYS had noticeable belly fat, even as a teen when I weighed around 120. When my weight skyrocketed to 180 a few years ago, I did gain around other parts of my body – thighs, arms, etc. At 150 pounds, I’ve lost most of that weight, but NO CHANGE AT ALL around my belly. Right now, I’m just trying to get to 140 by my birthday in April and get solidly into the “normal” BMI. I think that will be worthy of celebration, even though I also suspect that may not be my final, ideal weight.

Nina

I didn’t work out much this last week (apart from yesterday) due to my upset stomach. But I am happy to say that I’ve lost around 1.5lb in the last 2 weeks. Not as much as I’d like (is it ever?) but moving in the right direction.

Due to a lot going on these next few weeks with my studies I’ve decided to not continue counting calories atm but to focus instead on eating real, healthy foods. Not too much, practically no sugar, no refined carbs (I’ve cut those out almost completly) and not a lot of carbs for dinner. But I will continue to work out at least 3-4 times a week as I feel so much better when I do and I can feel my body changing even if the scale might move slowly.

Hope everyone has a good week!

luxcat

good work nina! with a plan like that, you can’t help but lose weight. slow and steady wins the race in weight loss…. because it’s less likely to come back on again.

Ella

Great news today! I went to see my endocrinologist, and she was completely blown away by my weight loss and latest blood test results. Everything is in the normal range! She wanted to know how I did it, so I told her: no sweets or snacks, longer sleeping hours (“yes, very important” she said), better hydration, daily walks, and above all, the impetus of our inspiring holiday challenge. Thank you a million gazillion times, irishbell!!

rutheverhart

Congratulations Ella! You are really doing amazing.

I have to admit that Feb has been terrible for me, diet-wise. Or put it this way, I have not been wise in my diet. I am trying to be a bit philosophical because there are some reasons for me to not put this issue on top priority right now. But at some point I need to get very serious, or I will undo the good I have done.

I still do the Bodypump, I am still muscled and fit.

I don’t know if I’m ready to recommit to better eating, quite yet. Getting close. Maybe next week. I am saying this in order to force myself to check in to this thread again next week! Huzzah!

irishbell

Ella- lol, you are welcome, I’m glad I participated as well.
    I am at the proverbial plateau. Not losing, but at least still not gaining.
    I don’t see much weight loss ahead until after my knee surgery, it’s really got
    me down and out- physically anyway.
    Have started the daily green smoothies again, (for the ladt week anyways)
    mainly for my dd who has had a particularly sick winter,
    both the dds really enjoy them. Haven’t gotten much beyond yogurt, honey, bananas, peanut butter, peaches, spinach-
    but at least we are drinking them.

sleepykitten

@Ella – Fantastic! We knew she’d be impressed.

@irishbell – You and @bandicoot with your green smoothies make me so jealous! I’ve got to get into the habit…which might require a “real” blender…or maybe not?

Allison

Soylent Green is people!! Okay that is so overused, or maybe just by me. I wonder if I should have added a spoiler alert? Anyway, I have yet to make a green smoothie, but I should give it a go one of these days! Yes! Yes, I’m going to do it! I am going to leave my comfort zone of the pink smoothie and go green.

Kitten ~ I have a Bella Rocket Blender…It’s small, but not really too small. The problem is that it comes with a million accessories! All of which I’ve not-so-conveniently stored in the original box it came in because I don’t have the cabinet space. Meh. Okay, so I have a thing with boxes! I am TRYING! Mental Note: Next to go – Boxes! Anyway, these things are great solely for the purpose of making smoothies, both pink and green!

Ella

Down a half-pound this morning. It would be so nice if I could make it a whole pound by tomorrow… then I’d be down at least one measly pound for this month, instead of the 5 I hoped for. :(

I miss my exercise! Whoda ever thunk I’d feel that way? But yesterday I felt better after the doctor visit, and walked a little while. Baby steps literally.

Ella

Huzzah for me, I dropped the whole pound. That’s 1 pound down for February, a total of 6 pounds since New Year, but still 9 more pounds to my Easter goal.
    Don’t think I’m gonna make it all the way but I will try!

I’m heading out now for a very short walk, to start rebuilding my stamina day by day.

chacha1

Ella, you are quite inspiring. And well done to everyone else who is losing or maintaining.

irishbell

Omg finally I’m down 2 pounds! Ha- only took me a month!
    2 more and I’m also in the 140’s – woohoo.
    It’s been probably 20 years since I’ve seen that number!
    This is exciting and motivating. Thanks to you all for your company and support
    with this! Yay to all of us!

s

Way to go, everyone!

Ella

Great work, irishbell! Yay for all of us!!

Zora

I haven’t been following this thread at all. My weight went down precipitously after hip surgery, then went right back up again. To 223 pounds on a 5 foot 3 inch frame (before breakfast, but with my nightie on). Yes, I’m probably fatter than most of you.

I have been weighing myself every day and recording it at Hacker’s Diet, since 2010. (The site does weight averaging, to extract the trend from the daily fluctuations.) I have been recording everything I eat at Lose It!, also since 2010. I’ve lost 25 pounds over that period, and kept it off. That’s extremely slow, but it has been permanent. I consider NOT gaining the weight back as a success.

My latest endeavor is intermittent fasting. I fast for 24 hours starting after dinner on Wednesday. I break my fast (my iftar :)) with Thursday dinner. I am getting used to it, but the last four hours or so are difficult. There are quite a few studies, rodent and human, that show that intermittent fasting is good for your health (reduced risk for heart disease and diabetes). Fasting doesn’t necessarily help you lose weight, unless you can control the urge to stuff yourself when you break your fast. (Many Muslims gain weight during the Ramadan fast, which is only for 12 hours.) There seems to be slight downward trend in my weight, so I’m hoping that the fasting will prove a weight loss technique as well.

I actually find it easier t just not eat, than to constantly make decisions about what I can or can’t eat.

Ella

Zora: If it’s practical, you could take a nap toward the end of your fasting periods, to avoid those final difficult hours. Sleep studies have proved that extra sleep helps in weight reduction. It certainly has helped me.

The first time I traveled through Italy on a very lean budget, I could only afford to eat breakfast and lunch. Then I skipped dinner and went to bed very early so I wouldn’t feel the hunger urges, and slept about 10 hours a night (thus fasting about 15 hours each day). So even though I ate plenty of pasta and gelato, I lost 5 pounds during the trip. Imagine that! (Caveat: This was before I developed type 2 diabetes. So now I can’t fast at all, it would be extremely dangerous.)

So today is March 1st and now we’re in the home stretch toward Easter on the 31st. I have a beautiful pearl gray suit to wear to Grace Cathedral that day, if only I can squeeze into it. To reach my goal of 9 more pounds, I’d have to lose 2 pounds a week, which might be too much to expect but I will try. I think I’ll have greater success if I shift my daily walks to the morning, instead of late afternoon. I seem to recall reading that morning exercise revs up your metabolism for the whole day.

Now that my throat is better, I can switch back to salads. I’m getting awfully weary of chicken soup and applesauce.

Anonymous

I’ve been walking about two or so kilometres every morning on a bush track. It’s nice because there’s hills and uneven surface, so it’s not just a matter of ‘pavement pounding’, plus trees to look at. I’m very lucky to live where I do.

Diet varies a bit still. I’m including more veg. I buy packets of bitesize treats which is working well – rather than too many squares of chocolate or cookies, we’ll have just one of the little wrapped treats. Low-alcohol beer instead of full strength. Trying to get more sleep.

Just relaxing – and properly relaxing – looking at the scenery, walking, spending time and trying to find ways to reduce stress.

Movement is really important – all-day movement, not just bouts of exercise. I try to think about being energized whatever I’m doing – being on the balls of my feet in the kitchen, throwing in some dips against the counter. Standing straight and tall, not slouching or leaning.

I’m thinking about trying Crossfit. I don’t fancy the idea of working so hard that I throw up, which is the kind of intensity a lot of them aim for. And I’m scared of getting an injury.

Nina

Welcome Zora to our colectiv fat decluttering. As with other areas of uncluttering we come in all shapes and sizes and I for one think losing weight isn’t easy for anyone.
    Glad to hear the scale is moving in the right direction for you Zora and Irishbell.

My week as been difficult. Kind of bad news in regards to my studies has me stressed and I’ve felt it physically – stomach and back aches mostly. I haven’t worked out all week and have been more lax in what I’ve eat. I haven’t been stuffing myself but I know if I continue like this what I’ve lost so far this year will be back on in no time.
    I am going on holiday in a week and was hoping to lose a bit more till then so my jeans would fit, but I think I need to bring something else to wear. Too tight clothes are not the right thing for travelling.
    I’ve got a very busy week ahead of me but I do plan on working out at least 2-3 times and eating less and lighter, especially in the evening.

Klutzgirl: I’ve been reading a lot about Crossfit and really want to give it a go but it isn’t that big here in Switzerland where I live (yet) and not available in my town. But from what I’ve read the great thing about it is that the exercises can be scaled for everyone. I think the important thing is probably to find a good box to do it at where they take the time to show you the moves etc. And while I do enjoy working out hard and pushing myself I think throwing up is not a good sign of a succesful workout and I wouldn’t go to a place that promotes something like that.

Ella

Nina: Whenever you’re tempted to overeat at night, get in the shower instead and let the hot water ease away your stress and your aching back. Drink more water. Hot mint tea after meals will soothe your tummy.
    You’ve been doing so great, hang in there!

Anonymous

Nina: I’ve just been reading a bit about one person’s experience with Crossfit and it sort of chimes with some of my concerns:

http://www.lowcarblearning.com/2012/10/i-quit-crossfit-today/

Cost is a big issue for me at the moment. Also the whole sport aspect – for me it’s about feeling well and building strength for the activities I enjoy.

I just watched ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ on TV yesterday. It was a good, inspiring story. My only ‘beef’ with it was the emphasis on ‘detox’ and starting with a ten-day fast. I don’t believe in ‘detoxing’ so much as removing the crap from our diet on an ongoing basis. I also don’t think that shocking the body with sudden diet changes is good. However, the empasis on providing maximum micronutrients is great. I think replacing a meal – or even just eating much better – and adding a homemade juice to the diet is a great idea.

A lot of dieticians disagree with juicing because it misses much of the fiber, is fast and somewhat unsatisfying to consume, and adds a lot of liquid calories. However I think the ‘mean green’ juice that they use in that program is brilliant – leafy greens are a huge lack for most of us!

Nina

Thank you Ella for your kind words. I know I have to find other ways to deal with stress then food and I think I might just try your shower trick.

Klutzgirl: I think I understand your concerns and I for one think that Crossfit is probably not the best way for someone to get into shape who has no idea about exercise. I haven’t tried it so I can’t comment but I think the guy says one of his main issues he had was really one he has with himself – his ego. Both that he seems to have done more then was good for him (and then injuring himself) and only caring about how it makes him look.
    Do I work out because I want to look better? Of course! But I also work out to feel better both physically and mentally.

If you do want to work out one programm I can really recommend is P90X. You might have heard about it. Basically you do it at home (you need some weights or bands) following a DVD. I’ve never actually done the programm in 90 days as intended but I do them every now and again mixed in with my own weight training. The DVDs aren’t the cheapest but if you compare it with what you would pay for a Gym for 3 months it’s probably cheaper. You might even find it used.

I agree with you on the detoxing btw. It’s better to cut out crap every day. Plus I don’t really think bodies need to be detoxed – as far as I know there is no scientific support that it actually does anything and the weight loss is basically down to not eating much or anything at all (if you fast).

I’m trying an elimination diet this month. Mostly this is to figure out if a particular food is exacerbating my stomach erosion (PPI meds are not resolving it), sluggish days and insomniac/nightmare filled nights.

It’s also to hoist me out of current comfortable and unhealthy habits. It’s shocking how fast a middle aged body falls to pieces :-/

Ella

Down another half-pound this morning. Now I’m hovering at the demarcation point between “overweight” and “normal” BMI. It’s so good to go out walking every day again. AND to eat big salads! Enough with the hospital food already.

rutheverhart

@Klutzgirl, I just read about your walks and they sound wonderful. I am a woods-walker, and just really love it. I also do Bodypump 2 or 3 times a week. I just looked up Crossfit quickly, as I am not familiar with it. Curious about how it compares to others.

I just did my weekly Sunday afternoon Bodypump — I like to go on Friday evening and late afternoon Sunday, as a way of bookending my weekend. I miss it when my schedule doesn’t permit these 2 classes.

Weighed in — I am at EXACTLY the same place I was when I rang in the New Year. So I am not succeeding at decluttering fat by springtime. However, I have put some on and taken it off. Have had some stressful times at work, and am proud of myself for soldiering through. Hopefully I will begin some actual weight loss soon.

I am not even sure what my target weight is — it used to be 155, but I have put on a significant amount of muscle. I think I would look pretty great at 160. That’s 13 pounds away. I will set a goal of losing 2 lbs a month, which would put me at my target by the end of the summer. That’s modest, and I like modest goals.

Ella

Ruth: Your goal of 2 pounds a month sounds safe and doable. Everything I’m reading lately says that regular aerobic exercise (walking, biking, running, dancing) is the best way to shed pounds. Can you add an aerobic component several days per week, in addition to your BodyPump? All that muscle fitness will make you super efficient at burning off fat during aerobic exercise.

OnARoll

I’ve been getting so frustrated with my health and weight. Careful eating isn’t enough to make a dent. I’m getting more and more exercise sessions in, but still the shoulder wants to make it difficult.

This week’s goal is to step up the food program: avoid prepared foods as much as possible. I stocked up on whole foods yesterday, and spent a few hours today cutting and prepping fruits, veg, etc.

Now the sun is going down. I’ve gotten a good nights sleep, gotten in a good walk, and did food prep and cleaned the kitchen twice, and the clutter monster is larger than ever, with company descending in 11 days, and tomorrow the work rollercoaster starts again. I feel like that guy rolling the stone up the hill.

Ella

Down the full pound today. So now I’m back where I was before the sore throat attack. And also back in the top end of the “normal” range for BMI. Onward! :)

luxcat

OnARoll I know how you feel…

Struggling with this goal at the moment. Did well with the whole foods/modified Paleo diet thing but it’s hard to keep up when you have to eat at others’ houses/out/am working too much to get to store every 3rd day for fresh stuff. I loaded up on fresh food on Saturday and then DH’s family descended like a flock of locusts last night and left me with nearly nothing! I have to drive nearly all day tomorrow for work…will get home late and tired… just feeling a bit frustrated and set back right now.

I have gained back about half a pound, it could be much worse.

Anonymous

The food prep is a PITA. I know I’m going to have to try to batch cook a bit more often.

I’ve started making ‘Mean Green Juice’, had one for breakfast – ( kale, celery, cucumber, apple, 1/2 lemon, ginger, plus I added some melon since I had a cut one on the fridge).

It tastes surprisingly good, refreshing. Trimming & washing the veg doesn’t take too long and I already have the board & knife out for my kids’ lunch salads, but it still makes a mess and OMG the juicer! SO MANY BITS!!!!

Then for brunch I made zucchini (forget what you call it in the USA – long green squash) fritters. So a mixing bowl and frypan, more washing up… *sigh*…..

Ella

klutzgrrl: It’s zucchini in the US too, courgette elsewhere. Here you can buy chopped frozen organic kale, so that would simplify at least one part of your prep.

YMMV, but personally, I think juices are a bloody nuisance and they encourage “speed” eating, which isn’t as healthy as savoring your meals slowly. I much prefer whole fruits and veggies and their fiber (and in my case, as a diabetic, I can’t drink juices at all because they deliver carbs too rapidly into the system and cause blood sugar spikes, whereas the same ingredients consumed in whole form enter the system slowly and help keep one’s metabolism on an even keel).

Anonymous

Yes, I agree about speed eating, carbs etc – that’s why the juicer has been gathering dust in the back of the pantry for about six years. However, I do eat quite a lot of vegetables and don’t have much weight to lose – just a little bit of belly and really it’s about gaining strength and health, so I’m not too worried about additional calories. I think properly used they can have a place in the diet for people who have been living on a poor quality western diet. As Joe Cross points out, we’re all about macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) and forget about the micronutrients.

The focus of these juices is very much on green veggies, and while I have salads and do try to include some cooked greens, I don’t have as many as I’d like, and have to be careful of high-oxalate greens like spinach. I don’t eat much fruit as the sugars disagree with me and I’m mildly allergic to quite a few of them; the half apple and bit of melon I seem to be tolerating well. I think the sugars in this juice aren’t too bad compared to the usual 2apples+2 oranges fruit overload type. I added some parsley today too.

I’m thinking of using it as a breakfast replacement on alternate days, see how that goes. I don’t buy into the ‘don’t skip meals’ thing – so long as you’re aware and identify issues with subsequent hunger etc, don’t use it as a snack excuse; I had one for “afternoon tea” the other day and found that I was too full at dinnertime for my usual beer, so that’s a good thing!

I just wish I’d learned more about this stuff earlier. I used to give my kids commercial orange and apple juice thinking it was healthy, not realizing that there were hardly any nutrients left in it, added artificial vitamin C and a massive spike to their blood sugar :(

Ella

Woo! I dropped another pound already! This brings me to another mini goal: now I’ve lost a total of 20 pounds since the challenge started in October. *happy dance*

New findings on which form of exercise results in the most weight loss:

http://www.drweilblog.com/home/2013/3/5/best-exercise-for-weight-loss.html

Ella

This is my second attempt to post on the new forum. Proceeding very cautiously… pages are taking a loooong time to load, and my computer has crashed several times during the wait. Plus I had to get a new password. But anyway, here goes….

Since we were last together, I’ve dropped another 1.5 pounds. Now I’m down into the high 130s. No looking back. Woo-hoo!

How’s everybody?????? I’m dying to hear from you all !!!

sleepykitten

Hi, @Ella! It looks like you are online now – I see a green dot on your profile, so I assume that’s what it means. So far for me, pages are loading just fine…I hope you don’t have too much trouble. Congrats on being in the 130s! I had the flu last week and haven’t been able to exercise, but I am on the mend now and I sense some serious exercise in my future, esp. now that it is getting warmer out.

luxcat

good work ella! I am doing well so far, scale showed the lowest so far two days in a row now.

PS I also had to get a new password, the hiccups of a new site…no crashes yet however.

pkilmain

I also had to get a new password, and i have sent a note to the asmin that the link to change your password doesn’t work. I want a password Ican remember, not random letters and digits.

Anyway, not much weight losr, or gained!, and good A1C numbers last week. I’ll take it for now.

Typing on ipad – really I can spell

Barbs

I am going to try to get back on this bandwagon. Been busy with yearend accounting and apparently I can only concentrate on one challenge at a time. My house is a mess and my average weight stayed exactly the same for January/February. My plan was good but the execution was dismal. So….
    My plan for the rest of March is to get a good night’s sleep EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. That is all.

Ella

Looks like this thread has become rather inactive for the most part… but I haven’t been inactive at all. As of today, I’ve reached another mini goal… I have now passed the halfway point of my total weight loss goal. Yay! I’ll continue to post my mini goals as I reach each one.

I’m still doing all my good things… no sweets or snacks (except a big luscious dark chocolate cream egg for Easter), plenty of water and lots of sleep and long walks. It’s working, so I’ll keep it up all through the spring.

For anyone else who’s still following this challenge, and for those who’ve had to drop out for whatever reasons, I hope you’re all in good health.

pkilmain

Glad to hear that Ella! I’ve missed “seeing” you.

Ella

I’ve missed you too, pkilmain. Hope all is well with you?

Today I dropped another pound and reached my next mini goal… altogether I’ve lost 15 percent of my body weight from when I started this challenge back in mid-October.

luxcat

good work ella! I also have missed seeing you around, although I admit I don’t log in here much anymore.

happymonkey

My goal was to drop 1o pounds by Easter. I had a number of health issues crop up and ended up gaining a few pounds instead. Oops. I’m back on track now and working on a downward trend, hopefully!

Claycat

Congratulations, Ella! I’m proud of you!

I need to lose weight, too. I’m doing a lot of walking, pushing a reel mower. :)

Ella

Hi Claycat! Pushing a mower sounds like fabulous exercise to me, good and sweaty. Your neighbors might want to hire you!

happymonkey: I hope your health troubles are way behind you now, so you can make good progress forward (and downward) again.

I’m just so grateful that the latest spate of bad weather has passed, and I’ve been able to take longer walks in the sunshine this week.

Ella

Oops, I gained back half a pound. Since I’ve started eating three meals a day instead of only two, my rate of weight loss is a tad slower and I’m seeing more of these half-pound teeterings on the scale before the downward trend resumes.

I’m still having some trouble remembering to eat lunch, as I’ve gone for so many years without it. I definitely feel better when I have some lunch, and even a small portion does the trick to keep me going until dinnertime. But this past week I got busy and forgot and missed lunch on three days, and by dinnertime I was terribly ravenous and headachy, making it harder to stick to my meal plan.

Ella

Interesting new post on Karen Kingston’s blog, about clutter and weight:

[URL=http://www.spaceclearing.com/blog/2013/04/14/clutter-clearing-and-weight-loss/]http://www.spaceclearing.com/blog/2013/04/14/clutter-clearing-and-weight-loss/[/URL=http://www.spaceclearing.com/blog/2013/04/14/clutter-clearing-and-weight-loss/]

ETA/ Can’t for the life of me figure out how to post a URL without all this mess appearing. Anyway… the article is there in the middle.

luxcat

interesting article! I have read her book on feng shui and clutter and I really liked it.

sash

Hey everyone!
    Now to re-commit to the exercise routine! I visited the gym fairly regularly while I was on vacation and only went up about .2 kg, but I have to get serious about this again. Back on treadmill from tomorrow…

Ella

I’ve dropped that temporary half-pound gain, plus another half-pound. So now I’m very close to my next mini goal, hoping to get there this weekend.

Ella

Another mini goal achieved! As of today I have dropped a total of … *drum roll*… 25 pounds!

That’s nearly a pound a week for the past 26 weeks, since starting this challenge on Oct 20.
    I still have a ways to go, but it feels good.

Onward and downward!

Ella

A really good-news mini goal today! My doctor said I can stop taking one of my diabetes meds, hooray! My blood sugar has been dropping along with my weight loss, and I don’t need that med any more.

Now I’m hoping she will gradually lower the dosage of my other med as I continue to declutter this fat.

happymonkey

Ella, that is wonderful news — the weight loss AND the reduction in medication! Very inspiring.

Ella

Thanks, happymonkey! I think both are a result of all my walking now that the weather is so nice. It’s not because I’m eating thin, that’s for sure, as I’ve been eating rather luxuriously lately. But that gives me added incentive for taking longer walks.

How’s it going for you? Is your health back to 100% by now?

Ella

Tra-la, it’s May. A new month, a new goal. I’m upping the ante to declutter 6 pounds this month.

Ella

I’ve been so thick around the middle that I haven’t been able to measure my waist correctly… because I couldn’t even find it! I tried when I first started this challenge, but I’d got a measurement of 37 or 38 inches, which was so depressing I decided to wait until I decluttered some of this flab. By now I’ve lost enough to begin to see my waist, sort of. Today it measures 35 inches.

The general guideline for women is to have a waistline less than 35 inches. If you measure 35 or more, you’re high risk for heart disease and heart attack. But my doctor thinks that’s way too much of a generalization… one size doesn’t fit all. Instead she recommends having a waist measurement less than half of your height. I’m 63 inches tall, so my waist should be less than 31.5 inches. I’ve got 3.5 more inches to lose. At least!

Meanwhile, I’ve been able to declutter some of my tired old fat clothes. Good riddance.

happymonkey

Ella, you have been doing an amazing job meeting your goals — I applaud you!

To answer your earlier question, I’ve finally reconciled myself to the fact that my health will never be 100%. My lungs are working at 72% capacity due to lung restriction from an auto-immune disease, which is making it much harder for me to build up an exercise routine. I’ve been using that as an excuse not to exercise at all, though, which is only making things worse. I’m slowing working my way out of my funk and realizing I have to stop making excuses and start taking action. My goal this month is to start taking regular walks, even though they may be shorter than I’d like. I have to start somewhere, right? I’m seeing my pulmonologist next month for a new pulmonary work up, and I’m hoping he will be able to give me some advice for building up, or at least maintaining, my lung function.

“Decluttering tired old fat clothes”– yay you!!

Ella

happymonkey, I’m so sorry about your lingering lung trouble. Hopefully those walks you’ve planned will help a bit to improve pulmonary function. But take it slow and easy.

I’m going on a free City Walk today to explore hidden rooftop gardens downtown. These guided walks last about 2 hours and give a good workout. I’ve dropped 2 pounds so far this month, with 4 more to go to reach my May goal.

sash

Hi everyone!
    I’ve recommitted to my daily aerobics/zumba/jumping around hour in the morning, and have also started up a couch to 5k program. I was lucky enough to grab some free running podcasts from the UK’s NHS website and will start week 2 tomorrow.
    As I was told by my tailor, I haven’t lost weight, but managed to almost get back to the weight I was last year at this time. Basically, I’m still carrying around some remnants of my trip to London a year later. Apparently, flab is my most enduring souvenir from there…
    I do feel stronger, though- I can feel muscles and do things I couldn’t previously. Good things, but the weight doesn’t go! Why can’t I just vacuum it away!!!

Ella

Sounds good, sash! What’s the couch to 5K plan?

It’s midmonth and I’m midway to my goal for the month: 3 pounds down, and 3 more to go.

sash

Ella! Its good to see you!
    I’ve started week 2 already. Its supposed to be a 10 week program, but I tend to draw things out by running the week at least 4-5 times versus the 3 they recommend. Oh well! That lets me really build up stamina, I suppose.
    For now, I’ve managed to lose about a kilo a week- lets see if I can break 200lbs before June! It would be great to get there!

Ella

Wow sash, a kilo a week, very impressive! I’m cheering for you! Here’s important recent news from the National Sleep Foundation on the relation between exercise and sleep quality: http://www.drweilblog.com/home/2013/5/20/secret-of-sound-sleep.html My sleep has improved dramatically since I’ve been going out for a walk nearly every day these past 7 months. Plus, I’ve increased my sleeping hours from 7-7.5 to at least 8 and sometimes 9-10. The more I sleep, the better I feel… more relaxed, more energy, better blood sugar, and a steady weight loss of about a pound a week. Big bonus: I don’t have sleep apnea any more. I can sleep peacefully on my back now that I’ve lost fat around my neck. So far I’ve lost 27 pounds. Last night I got the very first comment on my weight loss, from one of my fellow volunteers who hadn’t seen me in a while. That felt good! :)

sash

Way to go Ella! I’m aiming for under 200 lbs by my birthday, which looks doable. But I will definitely be trying to better my sleep patterns as a weight loss tool. I’ve recently started reading before bed, and its just distracting and keeps me up. I’ll keep the reading for waking hours!

SteveC

Ella;n105851 wrote: Sounds good, sash! What’s the couch to 5K plan?

C25K is, in full, Couch Potato to 5 kilometres. It’s a running programme intended to get the most unfit up and running a respectable distance within nine weeks. There are several versions around, but the UK National Health Service does one, which is a series of podcasts which you play as you’re running. I did the course when I was working away from home and couldn’t get out on my bike. Although I’m fairly fit for my age, I hadn’t done any running nearly 20 years and it got me going again. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to give running a go. I found myself really looking forward to each run and to each new week’s podcast. Obviously the usual caveats about checking with your doctor if you are ‘of a certain age’ or have underlying health issues, but do have a look at it. The NHS version can be found here: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Ella

It’s the end of May and I’ve lost a total of 4 pounds this month, not the 6 I had hoped for but still. I also lost a half-inch off my waist. For June, I’m aiming to lose 5 more pounds. More good news health wise… Last fall when this challenge first started, my endocrinologist had told me that my diabetes was in poor control and I would have to start injecting insulin. I said, no way. Then I jumped into the declutter fat challenge. This week, after seven months of changing my health behaviors, she told me my diabetes is in such GOOD control that I don’t need to see a specialist any more, so my regular doctor can handle it from now on.

Ella

Down another pound today and another 1/2 inch off my waist.

Ella

Wow, today I’m down another pound already, and that brings me to another mini goal… I’ve now lost a total of 30 pounds since starting this challenge in mid-October last year, which makes 30 pounds in 33 weeks. During February, when I was sick for the whole month, I held steady on a plateau, didn’t lose anything but also didn’t gain or give up. It helps immensely to chart my weight course on skinnyr.com… seeing the patterns keeps me from getting discouraged whenever a plateau occurs. I wonder if anybody else from the original declutter fat challenge is still doing it? I’d love to hear from you. I realized the other day that I’m now eating better than I’ve ever eaten in my entire life… more healthy AND more deliciously, one might even say luxuriously. Since I stopped spending money on sweets, snacks, and junky foods, I’ve got more to spend on the best quality for real meals. Last night was pasta night: I made pasta carbonara with San Daniele prosciutto. Tonight is cheese platter night: tasting two types of gorgonzola, with more prosciutto, melon, walnuts, chestnut honey, and dates. Tonight’s leftover baguette will make Sunday morning’s French toast. Then a lovely Waldorf salad for dinner. There’s no deprivation here. :) And it’s my birthday this month… yesterday I bought myself a few presents: lovely new underwear (and decluttered all the old), plus a new Le Creuset grill pan. Now I can put all my grilled salmon recipes to the test.

Ella

Still having the same technical problems with this site, no improvement. Sigh. Well anyway… I’ve been hanging out on a weight plateau of 130 for a couple of weeks and I’m getting very impatient with eating salad for dinner most nights. I had hoped to break into the high 120s by the end of this month, maybe I still will. I’m thinking that it’s getting time to start a new declutter fat thread, for July. Hope that some more of you will consider joining in.

Ella

Wrapping it up….. In June I dropped 3 more pounds, making a total of 31 pounds decluttered so far since I started last October. I want to declutter 19 more, for a total of 50… which would be sweet! This is my last post on this thread as well as on this forum. The unresolved technical issues make posting far too time-consuming, even for just a few words. And it’s rather lonesome being the only member still working on the original declutter fat challenge. I’ll continue on my own… and indeed I’ve been on my own on this thread for quite some time. I have faith that I’ll make it to my goal. I am forever indebted to irishbell for giving me the incentive to shake myself out of my slothful, binge-eating ways and take that first baby step on the road to health and energy. Wherever you are, ib, I bow to you. Best wishes for glowing health to you all. ~ Ella

ottawa

Ella: I will be sad to see you go. You have been a mainstay of this Forum since I joined (under my original Name, Britannia). I looked forward to seeing your posts. Although I posted mainly to the ATAD blogs, I read lots of them. I too have been struggling with my weight but I haven’t been able to stick to a diet regime. I have just started a new one on Monday (okay, it’s early days yet) but I’ve lost a pound. You will be my inspiration. Thank you.

If you stay on this Forum, I will promise to follow you here and be encouraging (and maybe I’ll lose weight too).

I too have had problems with the new format, but now I’ve learned how to get on, I have no trouble posting (although I have yet to learn how to start a new topic).

paisley

I will be sad to see you go too, Ella. I am reading Younger Next Year because of you and I give a little reverent bow when I see a Williams-Sonoma because of you. I am confident that you will reach your goals. Wishing you all the best!!

irishbell

Oh Ella, how serendipitous! Hopefully you may log back in and see this! I just logged on for the first time in forever to see what’s going on hereabouts- and am delighted to see your wonderful declutter fat goals and losses! Good on you, I’m glad to have had an eensy part in getting you started! Best wishes to you in succeeding with your goals, I’ve no doubt you will! I’m still doing WW- maintaining at my lowest so far, but I need to lose another 20 lbs. between my knee surgery, a death in the family and caring for my ailing Dad- I’ve been up and down two or three pounds a couple times in the last couple months, but maintaining at this point. things will continue to happen, get in the way, turn life upside down- but I believe I’ve got a handle on it now! You take care!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.