Home Forums Challenges declutter blog… how to start?????

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of linnefaulk linnefaulk 4 years ago.

• Author
    chiwi

i told my friend about this site and how much it has helped me. she’s a dollar store junkie like me and she has lots of clutter. she wants to start a blog about decluttering but she doesn’t know anything about blogs, and neither do i, so…..

how can she start one?
    are they free?
    what’s the simplest “tidy” looking blog site out there?

bandicoot

declutter blog… how to start?????

anyone with a gmail account can start a free blog at blogspot.
    lots of clean looking templates there and very easy to use.
    it’s all free and they’ll even host it for you.

or you might prefer a wordpress blog….a little more tricky to use.
    again, i believe they’ll host it for you unless you want to buy your own domain name and have it hosted somewhere else.
    lots of clean templates there too.

if you google minimalist blog design, you should get lots of info.

trillie

Blogs are often free. The easiest thing for her to do would be to register at a blog hosting site such as WordPress, Blogspot, Typepad, LiveJournal, Blogger and so on. (Another way would be to own a web server and to install blog software there.) You can also find a good overview of functions at Weblog software (Wikipedia), just to help deciding and to see what kind of blogging software is available and what functions are usually included by the host, and if it’s free.

For a lot of blogs, there are different skins and templates, so maybe don’t look for design first, look for function. If she wants to upload a lot of pictures, she’ll need either a blog host with a bit of free webspace, or e.g. a flickr account (or another image hosting place) to include the pictures from there. If it’s the latter, it might be nice for the blog to offer a free flickr (or whatever) module that shows her last pictures. And so on ;o) There must be comparison tables for different blog hosts and software features, maybe you could try googling that.

Also, I think looking at existing blogs and then deciding “I like this” and “I don’t need that” might be the easiest way to choose (to find out what platform or software the blogger is using, either look at the URL, it might include the platform name, or you can see a little “powered by NAME” on the blog, or you could just ask the blogger in the comments of the newest post). Or, to be really thorough, she could register at a few blog hosting sites and just put up some dummy posts and dummy pictures, to see how she likes the interface, and then delete the accounts she’s not going to use.

(I have a blog at Austrian/German twoday.net, which is clean, simple and I think Antville-based. I did try out WordPress for a short while and really liked its functions and its style, but decided against migrating there because I didn’t have the nerve to transfer blog entries since 2004, hee hee. But I’d definitely recommend giving WordPress a try!)

Good luck for your friend and her decluttering journey!

chacha1

fwiw I read a few blogs hosted by blogspot and I find their commenting protocol very clumsy, slow, annoying, etc.

My own blog is hosted by Typepad (which I chose because Cute Overload is built on Typepad, is the first blog I ever read, and was always easy to operate) and is primarily devoted to health/fitness and dance material associated with my part-time business. I found it very simple to set up and maintain.

I think a real key for your friend, chiwi, is to get active on forums like this FIRST. If she finds it tiresome to check in with many blogs and make comments regularly, she is really going to hate having to come up with her own new material on a regular basis. The writing is the hard part, not choosing a template.

chiwi

wow thanks! i’m new to blogs so this advice is helping me also. we’d both like to start accounts. for me i know i’d want to add before/after pics throughout the decluttering process & maybe a photo a day.

sorta like 365lessthings blog but without a subject-of-the-day approach. :D

chiwi

@chacha1 – yeah we saw the active blogs! how can people write paragraphs once daily??? lol, i don’t know, i just want something fun like a journal with before/after pics & auction pics. i’m not huge on writing. :)

trillie

Chacha1 is right again! First of all, urgh yes, what is up with the Blogspot comment function? It has gotten better during the last year, but it’s still not, um, optimal. And of course the thing with all the writing… I guess that’s why my once-so-wordy blog withered to a “Can’t be bothered, here’s a link to something funny on the internet, see ya” post every two weeks ;o)

There are quite a few bloggers out there who get by with hardly any writing and post a lot of pictures, the ones I know are design blogs mostly, and I bet an unclutterer blog will speak for itself with before and after pictures, what more is there to say except “yay, I did it”? ;o)

chacha1

trillie, you crack me up! But I think you are spot on – a before & after *photo* decluttering blog would not only be fun to look at, it would be a lot less taxing to produce.

I keep thinking I need to put pictures on my blog, but I guess I have an advanced case of logorrhea, I’ve not yet come up on a lack of material. blah di blah di yadda yadda bing bang. ;-)

eviltammy

Blatant self promotion time :) – if you’re on LiveJournal, I’ve got a community going called “unclutter_365″ – and I’d love to have more people posting besides me [g]. Got the idea from here.

habithacker

I’ve used both wordpress and blogspot/blogger intensively.

My advice is: if you’re just looking for a place to chronicle your progress and post photos and get an occasional comment from friends, blogger is absolutely the way to go. I have several private blogs there where friends and family keep in touch. The learning curve isn’t steep. Anyone can do it. There are attractive themes and great widgets. It’s constantly being improved. The search engines will find you easily without you having to do a whole lot. You and your friend could even share the same blog. Just set it up so you both can post.

If your dream is to blog for the masses, then you need to master wordpress and also buy your own domain. You WILL be taking a lot of time away from your decluttering efforts to do a decent job with this.

I originally started my blog, habithacker, on blogspot, because a bunch of friends and family and I wanted a daily, but non-flylady approach to cleaning/fitness/decluttering/creativity. I never intended to create a public website, but I didn’t bother to keep it private. It didn’t take long for lots of people to find the site, though, and want to use it, including some of the very organizers who had written books I loved. That’s when I decided that I might as well take my quest to provide the service more seriously and help lots of people follow the system instead of just a few.

The problem, though, if you start to take blogging seriously (and if you don’t have advertising or plan it as any money-making venture…which I don’t) is that you will be spending not only your own money, but also quite a bit of time on it in addition to your regular job—even if you’re just posting photos. I’m lucky enough to be able to do this, and I’m a writer by trade, so I’m enjoying myself immensely!!! It’s highly gratifying to reach those, like me, who need a daily nudge. If you’re the right category of person for this, there’s nothing like it. If you love photography, mucking around with computer details, and helping others like yourself, go for it…you won’t be sorry.

Jean at
    habithacker

ninakk

I began my blogging career at Typepad, but since it wasn’t a free template, I quit. I found WordPress and liked it a lot, didn’t think it was too difficult even though the admin part is quite different from Typepad. Then came a time when I wanted to start up another blog and flirted shortly with Blogspot/Blogger, but I found it completely horrible to use, so I went back to WordPress and haven’t had a single regret. With WordPress I feel like I have so many more options and they have great tutorials for beginners on just about every feature.

Don’t stress about blogging often. A blog, in my opinion, is a creative outlet and shouldn’t become something you do just because you signed up for it. Take a hiatus if you’re running out on energy and inform your readers about it. In the about section, tell people what type of a blog it is and they won’t expect something you won’t give them. Stay true to yourself and have fun, that’s my motto. I didn’t start blogging with huge ambitions, but viewed it as a way to document my ideas in one place, and if someone would be interested then even better. Not all blogs are serious business…

You can start modestly, then build up once you feel more comfortable with the site. Also, it’s very common to switch templates once you see how they work and what your needs actually are. Some templates don’t handle pictures the way I want them to and others don’t provide me with the “widgets” I would like to have (for instance links aren’t always possible to group but might appear in one long list; not desirable in my case). If you choose WordPress, there are many really nice “minimalist” templates to choose from with neutral backgrounds, which allow your photos to get center stage.

Good luck!

ninakk

Oh and I completely agree with chacha1 on the Blogger comment protocol.

HumblePie

I have a de-cluttering blog that I started @ blog spot at the first of the year about de-cluttering my life.
    in case you are curious it is: http://sarah-generalrandomness.blogspot.com/

This is an extension of google, completely free and amazingly simple to use. For everyone trying to declutter I wish you the best of luck!!!

SodaPunch

hey chiwi, it’s me! you probably won’t see this cuz you’re busy but i joined the site as you can see. text me later, girl! :)

Oxidaisy

Once you have your blog up and running, you might like to try Windows Live Writer. It’s free software that you can use to write and upload posts. I have a blog at blogspot and Live Writer has made it so much easier to insert pictures and it gives you an immediate view of what the post will look like. You can also work on concepts for several posts at once and post them once you finished. It saves me a lot of time!

Angelo

It might be a little late, but I also like WordPress.com for blogs (I power Operation Nuke And Pave on self-hosted WordPress), and for quick-and-easy posting of photos, chat, video, and little paragraphs, Tumblr is fantastic. Both are free.

I haven’t used Blogger or Blogspot so I can’t comment on those systems.

Also, I’m with Oxidaisy on Windows Live Writer. It’s fantastic.

linnefaulk

Tumble & Posterious are great little blogs. Free and easy to use. I prefer Tumblr because of the iPhone app.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.