Home Forums Welcome Hello! De-clutter booze

This topic contains 88 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of iiris iiris 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    glossta1

Not that there’s much alcohol cluttering the house… I’ve just checked out the drinks cupboard, and there’s a bottle of champagne, a bottle of alcoholic ginger beer, half a bottle of disgusting Czech fruit-based spirit and half a bottle of cooking-quality brandy. There’s also a bottle of white wine in the fridge, and that’s the problem.

I like wine, and of late I’ve been drinking it too often and too much. It clutters my brain, and my body definitely would prefer that I drank less. Last night I sank not far short of a bottle of red – DH had one glass, but had already had a beer, so left the wine to me. I should’ve stopped but didn’t. I felt grotty afterwards, and resolved to Do Something About It.

I propose to make tonight’s rather fine New Zealand white my last bottle for at least a few days. Then I have to decide if wine is a Fri/Sat only experience, or whether to go zero for a time. Anyone want to join me in a decluttering booze challenge?

De-clutter booze

Hi glossta1,

I have trouble with things other than alcohol so this one isn’t for me. You may also find that you have more success if you make yourself accountable to someone outside your own home who you see on a regular basis, who will be able to spot if you’re cheating and, importantly, won’t enable you by cutting you slack in your goals or is likely to be a bad influence (e.g. by buying you a bottle to share).

If you want to try the zero for a time idea, there are suggestions on the web for ways to encourage yourself, such as putting aside the money you would normally spend on booze during a month then buying yourself something else at the end with your savings. I’d suggest an experience treat (e.g. go see a theatre production) so it doesn’t clutter your house.

All the best with your challenge!

liag

De-clutter booze

We would carry zero alcohol in our home except guests often bring some when asked here for dinner, and there are leftover unopened bottles. I gave up pretending I like it and that I am not afraid (alcoholism in family; I refuse to succumb; hey–I have felt it clutters my brain as well, back in grad school when I last partook!) I dislike storing these leftovers, so I do often regift. It takes up a great amount of storage real estate, doesn’t it? It is okay; in fact when people come to eat and ask what they could bring, I often say to bring wine if they want it with dinner. And they do, and there’s some left, and I groan and shuffle items around to make room. This is another take on liquor in the home.

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

I’ll cheer you from the sidelines!

Next weekend is our very downscaled annual party (in previous years we’ve had upwards of 40; this year only 9 have confirmed, as everyone else wants to watch the Super Bowl) and I’m putting out what’s left of our cabinet of boozy goodness with some mixers. I’m not going to be able to move it, and we’re summer drinkers when we drink at all (G&Ts and margaritas, a couple of times a month), so I might as well get rid of it now and free up the cabinet space.

Parsifal

De-clutter booze

I’ll join you! I used to drink often and alone, but I’ve resolved to make the local bar’s beer club event a once-a-week thing instead. I don’t have a problem giving it up entirely for weeks at a time, but I think this strikes a happy medium for me.

liag

De-clutter booze

Reminds me of our ice cream arrangement: never keep a carton at home, but on occasion go out for a serving. This is to prevent DH from eating a half-gallon in two or three days with no assistance. It costs more per serving to eat it out, but he then has infrequent, smaller servings. We declutter cholesterol and freezer space, and nagging/worrying on my part.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

De-clutter booze

I’m glad you raised this. It’s something I’ve been struggling with for a bit. I drink basically daily – a light beer at least, not full strength, always one, sometimes two, and occasionally a whisky in the evening. The other night I had a few whiskies, slept badly and woke up feeling terrible. I miss the old days when I could get pleasantly plastered and wake up fine!

I’ve justified the regular-but-light on the basis of it’s only a small dose of alcohol and it relaxes me. But I know for a fact that constant doses of anything as toxic as alcohol really isn’t helpful for the body. I need to have more alcohol free days. I also have alcoholism in my family, so the fact that I’ve got it stable at one or two light strength drinks per day is in many ways a good thing. The kids have never, ever seen me drunk.

It’s similar with coffee and tea. I like them, I like the ritual of a warm brew. But caffiene isn’t actually helpful for women my age either.

I think maybe I do need to just pick a few days of the week that I won’t drink at all. Start with just two, then add more in.

Oh a word of advice if anyone with serious alcohol issues is reading this – please seek medical help if you’re going to ‘detox’ and don’t go cold turkey. Parts of the brain become dependent on alcohol and you can do real nerve damage by suddenly stopping, even get hospitalized and die. If you are a long-term alcohol user, talk to your doctor about it first. I’m not sure what the usage level is that gets to that stage of risk.

glossta1

De-clutter booze

A lovely thoughtful clutch of posts to get me started. Great support, too, and Parsifal and Klutzgrrl I’m glad there are now at least 3 of us.

I plan to buy no wine now until Friday. We have historically had a ‘Wednesday White’, but I think for now I’ll be better off without it. I know I sleep better without alcohol, and I do love a good sleep! I’m trying to focus on the idea that wine is an indulgence, not a reward or a crutch. It helps a bit (but not much) that I actually love cool still water with meals and to quench thirst.

So here’s to our new policy of restraint!

liag

De-clutter booze

This forum is a wonder in its scope and power. Good luck and admiration, determined ones.

loripax

De-clutter booze

You might be interested in this series of blog posts from one of the blogs I regularly read:
    http://ivyleagueinsecurities.com/2013/01/a-year-without-wine-i-did-it/

At the bottom of that post is a link to all of the related posts, in chronological order.

clutterbug22

De-clutter booze

glossta1,
    I only drink wine on Friday and Saturday, if I drink during the week it absolutely knocks me out, it’s an immediate sedative! Plus it makes me feel dehydrated. I’m not too bad if I’m going down the pub during the week (that only happens once in a blue moon, mind!), I suppose that’s more psychological as I know that the drinking is more of an ‘event’ rather than a quick quaff at home.

But saying that, I do tend towards nearly a bottle of wine on the Saturday night and now that my partner doesn’t go out on a Friday night as his drinking buddy has moved out of the area, I sometimes have a couple of wines on Friday as well. Like you, I do occasionally feel a little bit rough around the edges the next day so I’ve been thinking of cutting it down a bit. What I very often do though is to have a J20 or an orange juice at some point in the evening to counteract the effects. And I also occasionally add water to the wine if it is strong enough to take it without ruining it.

(I do hope I’m not sounding like a bit of a lush, lol!)

mdfloyd

De-clutter booze

What a good idea about the ice cream, Liag! I’m Very Bad when there’s ice cream in the house, so the only solution is to just keep it out of the house. But sometimes I want some and end up buying a gallon, then I’m off and eating . . . .

I think I’ll try the going out for ice cream.

Booze isn’t a problem; I have it in the house but almost never drink. Sometimes I have a glass of wine with dinner because it’s supposed to be good for you, but then I forget and the remaining wine sits in the refrigerator and turns to vinegar. I can’t remember the last time I had a plain old whiskey or gin & tonic.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

De-clutter booze

yay for company in one’s efforts!

One suggestion for the wine drinkers is to switch to a lower alcohol wine to aid transition – I’ve forgotten the names but there are a few nice options. I also like sparkling apple juice and grape juice as a refreshing drink (unfortunately they are too sugary for me now; but most people would find them nice and less sweet than soda).

I also would buy two-litre casks of wine rather than bottles, as my awareness of bottles ‘going off’ would mean I’d have an extra glass even when I didn’t really need one. Though the volume in those might be a problem for those who struggle to stop once they’ve had a few – only you can know that. Switching to beer helped a lot, a little more expensive but easier to stop at one.

I love this forum. If I’d tried to discuss this on another forum I go to, there’d be a barrage of ‘what the heck, a little bit won’t kill you, go ahead and enjoy a drink’. Which might be fine for some, but I’m looking for great health, not just ‘okay’. I love that you guys ‘get it’.

luxcat

De-clutter booze

I found that changing the habit of what I drank when helped me reduce. I used to automatically pour a glass of wine when I got home from work, but if I drank a cup of special herb tea or had some italian soda (a real treat) it ended up having the same effect of relaxing me without the alcohol. I might still have wine later that night with dinner, but it reduced the amount I was having overall.

Parsifal

De-clutter booze

If I might add, don’t automatically replace booze as you use up or toss out what is in the house. I find that I’ll drink whatever I have, just because it’s there and I’m bored.

Instead of wine with dinner, I drink a cup of chamomile tea most nights to relax.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

i drank like a fish through my teens and twenties.
    there is a real drinking culture when you work in new zealand and australian restaurants. also i was getting a pilot’s licence and learning how to sail and you wouldn’t believe how those guys can drink.
    in my early thirties i calmed down to half a bottle of red most nights.
    when i turned forty i really slowed down on the booze.
    now i go for weeks and weeks without any alcohol, but i like to have champagne and my favourite rosé in the fridge at all times, just in case a friend drops in or we feel like a celebratory glass.
    i have learned how to PUT THE CORK IN IT and not feel as though we need to finish the whole bottle.
    i also like to have one single malt when the whim strikes me. a bottle can sit there for six months. the same with any fancy booze i get a fancy for….i bought a bottle of noilly prat the other day because i cannot remember the last time i saw it for sale up here, and i will very much enjoy the twenty or so drinks i will mix over the next year from that bottle.
    i am quite happy about how much i drink nowadays….at home, i stick to one. with friends, i allow myself enough to be convivial. sometimes, a new wine is fabulous and delicious and it is easy to be tempted to have one more.
    what stops me now is the sure knowledge of how very horrible i will feel the next day.

i will cheer on your non-drinking efforts.
    drinking less is a good idea for most of us in general.
    right now i am doing a detox which involves no alcohol among other restrictions.
    but of course last night we had a dinner party and it was dear old friends and out came the bottles.
    we all stopped much sooner than we would have done twenty years ago, at least!
    we are learning. :)

Jackthetiger

De-clutter booze

Noilly Prat is the best thing to pop into the risotto after heating the pan and adding the rice.

I will cheer you from the side lines. I don’t drink that much, but admire those of you who are cutting back.

Joless

De-clutter booze

We’ve been cutting drinking down to non-school nights only (fri and sat) since the start of the year and its definitely better for us! Used to be daily drinkers with dinner but decided this wasn’t the way we needed to carry on, plus it hits harder and harder as you get older, sigh.

The thing we found hardest was finding drinks to replace it, particularly g+t. I don’t like gin so not a problem, but my GF found it hard to find things that weren’t sweet. We are persevering and it’s been much easier this time around to keep it up so I think we shall persevere into feb and see.

She is looking forward to getting back to drinking beer though, she gave that up totally for Jan and there is no way that part of the resolution is staying!

PaulT00

De-clutter booze

I do find that one way to reduce the amount of booze being stores and consumed is to buy better quality booze. I don’t drink vast quantities (although I will admit that one of my greatest indulgences is a quantity of port or sweet wine with blue cheese and crackers or good bread – saint agur and a half bottle of Elysium black muscat is a very personal heaven!) but I find that sticking with the good stuff means I am likely to drink less and savour it. Sometimes I can go weeks without drinking alcohol…

I also find this works well as a strategy with my other half, who can sop up astonishing quantities of what we call “cooking” scotch but rarely exceeds a single generous dram of a good single malt. It is therefore cheaper both in money and storage space to buy the single malt rather than the cheaper blended “cooking” scotch.

The same principle also works for me with coffee. I used to be a serious coffee drinker but found that I felt better on days I had less of it. These days I have maybe one cup of coffee every couple of months or more rarely – but when they happen they will be really good coffee from a favourite cafe and accompanied by a nice pastry or breakfast. Quality over quantity every time…

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

paul, the idea of quality over quantity when it comes to booze definitely resonates with me.
    we do not go through the single malt at anything like the rate we used to go through the cooking scotch (awesome term btw and i am totally stealing it).
    this is something that has come with age for me.

i might do a different kind of decluttering regarding booze this year.
    in 99/200 my husband went through a brief period of collecting australian stickies.
    they are pretty much the only thing that will keep in this climate.
    over the years, we polished off a few, but opening a stickie has to be planned, with cheese and so on and we don’t often think to do it.
    so, we have a few bottles of now very decently aged stickies, that might even be teetering on the verge of too old.
    it is time to drink them!
    if we do this once per month this year, that will solve that. most of them are half bottles, so it won’t be an ordeal of sweet wine.

De-clutter booze

Can’t resist. I’m going to use the voice recognition software that comes with Windows 7 as soon as I get a microphone headset thingy, so you may be ‘hearing’ more from me!

Alcohol of any kind is very easy for me to say no to. I like the taste, I like the mild buzz, but as regular thing, meh. I did a fair amount of drinking in my wilder and somewhat misspent youth, but gave that part of it up with nary a second look.

However – sweets and crunchy salty things are another bag of chips entirely. Like liag, sweets are a ‘portion controlled option’. I’ll buy a dessert at a restaurant and bring it home. I enjoy it and it’s done. There’s not a 9/10ths of a pie, cake or etc calling my name from the kitchen. Works for me and DH.

Much encouragement coming your way, glossta1! I too love this community and the support we get/give.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

Anytime you feel like a habit is interfering with the life you want, that’s a good time to put the brakes on it.

If there is an open bottle of any kind of beverage in your house that you don’t use (for whatever reason) for heaven’s sake pour it down the drain and forget about it. If there are unopened bottles that you don’t want to open (for whatever reason), give them away.

If there is a bottle that you know you would enjoy, then set a date to open it and enjoy it … one glass per day … until it is gone. Wine keeps just fine for up to a week, if you stick the cork back in and put it in the fridge. And do that as soon as you have poured your glass of the night. Keeping the bottle out and handy is just like having an open bag of chips or Oreos beside the couch! You might even take a marker and write the date on the label each day you take a glass.

Stopping drinking altogether … you will know pretty soon if you need to. That is, if you have a really strong craving for another drink, versus just “oh the bottle is open, let’s top up this glass.”

DH and I are moderate drinkers … we go through a bottle of wine a week reliably, sometimes two. A glass of wine with dinner is one of life’s great & simple pleasures (for me) and I account for the calories. :-) We very, very rarely will have more than one drink in an evening. We don’t drink for the sake of drinking, it’s part of the meal.

Ella

De-clutter booze

bandicoot: I had to laugh a bit ruefully when I read your drinking history and recognized myself.
    I drank my way through my 20s because all my friends did (and I watched several of them go on to full-blown alcoholism).
    In my 30s, after enough embarrassing moments, I came to realize that I was a sloppy drunk and couldn’t hold my liquor, so I slowed waaay down.
    Along comes my 40s and a diagnosis of diabetes, which pretty much put the kibosh on any drinking at all. Interesting how life sorts these things out over time.
    I’ve learned how to “pretend” to drink a glass of wine or champagne at important occasions because not to do so draws too much negative attention and mars the merriment.

luxcat

De-clutter booze

as an ex-bartender may I assure you all that in social situations NO ONE knows the difference if you are drinking a coke vs. a rum and coke or sparkling water with lime vs. a vodka and tonic or a cranberry and sparkling water vs. a vodka/cran. just quietly inform the bartender or server that you are the designated driver and that if any of your friends or co-workers or whoever try to order you “another round” that you’ll take the non alk version please and to serve it in the small fancy glass so you feel like one of the gang. give a nice little tip if possible and all will be made smooth for you without another word.

also suitable excuses are “oh I can’t, having tummy trouble today for some reason”… “I’m doing a new detox diet thing”…. “I’m on antibiotics”… “my dr said it might be causing my terrible headaches, and it’s simply not worth it”…. etc.

I often have to attend work functions where alcohol is served and encouraged… but I have to drive and this state has pretty much zero tolerance laws in that dept. I have gotten quite good at “losing” drinks about the place, offering to go fetch other people like clients drinks but “forgetting” to get one for myself, etc. I have even poured the damn things down the ladies’ room lav if need be.

For anyone who is challenged in the drinking department, as I have been– may I recommend the very good book “7 weeks to social drinking” available on amazon and in libraries. Very practical little book and gives great guidelines and advice on cutting down or quitting if you choose.

Ella

De-clutter booze

Thanks, luxcat. Excellent tips.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

De-clutter booze

great tips, Luxcat.

we have strong laws here too – being a slim female it only takes one or two drinks to get over the limit, so a dismissive ‘oh, I’m driving’ is valid for most social occasions – and in my case is usually true!

Ella

De-clutter booze

Here’s a useful Dorothy Parkerism:

I wish I could drink like a lady
    I can take one or two at the most
    Three and I’m under the table
    Four and I’m under the host

chacha1

De-clutter booze

LOL, Ella. That’s exactly why I can only have 3+ drinks when I’m home alone with the man.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

lol, ain’t that the truth?

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

Tiggery Jack, I’ve started using Noilly Prat whenever I need just a bit of white wine in a recipe, as I won’t use a bottle of wine up in a week.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

i’ve got leftover wine covered.
    i bought some mother of vinegar last year and started making my own.
    it takes two to three months to make vinegar and at the moment i still need to buy vinegar to tide us over between batches.
    but as the mother grows, you can split it and set more and more vinegar to fermenting.
    my next harvest will include apple cider, red wine, and sherry vinegars and i might possibly have hit the sweet spot in terms of production.

for cooking wine, i have never really worried about how old it is.
    you’d be amazed at how nobody ever cringes back from a dish and says ERMAGERD, did you deglaze with two week old wine? i cannot possibly eat this!

Ella

De-clutter booze

One of my favorite chefs recommends using extra-dry vermouth instead of white wine for cooking. Vermouth is shelf stable.

Barbs

De-clutter booze

Lots of helpful information in this post! Very true about the “cooking” scotch. We only have some single malts right now and it is going to stay that way.
    Cooking with Vermouth is a new idea for me and regardless of the title of the thread I’m going to get some to try.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

I like sherry for cooking. Drinkable sherry, though, not “cooking” sherry.

@ Barbs, remember decluttering doesn’t necessarily mean you get rid of everything! It just means you manage your collection (or habit) down to what you can really use and/or enjoy in your Remarkable Life. :-)

s

De-clutter booze

My boyfriend was a very regular drinker ( a couple of cocktails before AND after dinner plus a couple of glasses of wine with the meal). I would join him for 2 drinks or so. He can hold his alcohol well, but realized it was too much about the habit and less about social or pleasant effects. So he quit. He’s subbed flavored seltzer water. I rarely have a drink unless we’re out. Been disappointed that weight doesn’t fall off, but that’s a different story!

s

De-clutter booze

Great, simple ideas, luxcat. Thanks!

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

bandicoot, love, we aren’t talking week-old open wine. We’re talking “When did we last drink this?” and it being a period measured in months. So vermouth is a more frugal choice for me.

I am as surprised by this as anyone else, but I’m actually getting rid of something: friend of many years was stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours and missed his flight, so we made up a care package to leave with another friend at the hotel. My 10-year-old Bushmills and two decent glasses are part of it.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

heavens, what a lovely care package to receive after the stress of missing a flight!

our three week detox officially finishes today, but i don’t feel that there is going to be a wholesale rush to the booze cabinet tomorrow.
    not that there is a cabinet, you understand.
    but i do want a little noilly prat. a nip with some ice and a lemon peel.

glossta1

De-clutter booze

So many helpful and supportive posts… Thank you all. I decided to go with the ‘not when a school day follows’ plan, and I made it through the week. I was worryingly glad when Friday evening came around, but that was in part because it has been a helluva week. I definitely feel better for the break from booze for the week – I waken more clear-headed, and although I haven’t slept more than usual I have felt more refreshed by the sleep I’ve had. My skin is better too, and I suspect so is my asthma. So far, so good. I feel guilty now, that I’m typing this with a glass of red at my elbow. But it is Saturday evening, so it’s allowed.

herisff

De-clutter booze

@glossta1 – just thought I would mention that an allergist told me once to have a large mug of mint tea before bed. Mint tea apparently helps open up the airways. I rarely drink beverages right before bedtime (too many in-the-night bathroom breaks) but have found that mint tea during the day helps keeps my lungs less restricted over all. I just have to be careful to buy the herbal and not the green tea version of mint, or else I’ll be wide awake at 2 am.

glossta1

De-clutter booze

@herisff – thanks. I might try that. I’ve been told eating kiwi fruit before bed is good for improved sleep, too. I keep forgetting to buy some to try.

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

@glossta, love, no guilt! Guilt is not a useful emotion. Acknowledge that you are choosing to have a glass and then enjoy it; you’ve made a wonderful start.

@bandicoot, as of this morning he didn’t have confirmation of a seat on a flight from San Francisco to Salt Lake City (he’s coming from London), so I imagine by the time he finally gets here his frustration levels will be such that he’s not going to bother with the glass.

glossta1

De-clutter booze

Guilt is sometimes useful, because it is an unpleasant feeling and so helps people to avoid doing something they don’t want (on some level) to do, even though they may be pulled towards doing it on some other level. I am so far pleased to be cutting down on the wine, and tonight it wasn’t difficult to be in ASDA and even to walk through the wine aisle without buying any. So far, so good. None now until Friday.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

lucy, i see you posted one day ago…i do hope your friend is on his way NOW.

glossta, i had a coruba dark rum with freshly squeezed orange juice last night.
    it was delicious, it was deliberate, it was to toast the first day of tiling with no nervous breakdown!
    i reckon the big thing with alcohol is to find your personal sweet spot…..the place where you can enjoy a drink now and then without it making you feel craptastic mentally OR physically.

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

He is here now (and teasing me about something I posted to FB); there was an extremely silly moment involving video Skyping in which his wife and I were waving at each other through our husbands’ laptops. If he’s not fallen over in his soup at supper tonight DH will probably bring him back here long enough to be hugged hello and shed on by the cats.

Joless

De-clutter booze

I think I have broken my ‘wine-with-dinner-most-nights’ habit :-) Also I am waking up more easily, and feeling less grumpy in the mornings (I am SO not a morning person!) and just before bed. Sigh. Guess it’s time to be a grown up :-)

ninakk

De-clutter booze

Thanks for a good chuckle, there are some excellent comments in this thread!

I already have a “vacuum” pump for wine with a few rubber corks to go with it. I don’t have to finish an open bottle the same day, but if properly pumped it will last a few days without going bad. I’m also better at using wine in various sauces and soups these days.

I don’t have a champagne bottle stopper yet, but next time I buy sparkling wine or champagne, I’ll invest in one of those too, as the rubber stopper for wine has a small hole in the middle and doesn’t keep the pressure of a sparkling liquid.

The body I once had was trained to drink like a student. Those days are over and I easily get a hangover now, also a migraine if there are lots of tannines in the red wine. It’s sad in one way, but very frugal considering finances. I also like the idea that on the rare occasions when I purchase wine, I can invest in a wine of much better quality. Wine is expensive here due to our geographical location and a decent bottle (I’m a bit of a connoisseuse though) may easily cost around 15€.

I find it helps to ponder very different angles such as those presented throughout this thread, when trying to change something. Good luck everyone!

De-clutter booze

I also read an article today about how a student from one of our local universities has done a study of people trying to quit alcohol consumption. They found that the carrot approach of having an image, to regularly view, of what they are aiming for (e.g. to save money for a holiday – have a pic of the holiday destination; to fit into a new dress – have a pic of the dress) helped more than just a nebulous idea in one’s mind of saving money or losing weight, to reduce their intake.

I had the impression that the student had only studied alcohol consumption but I don’t see why it couldn’t also work for other things.

On a side note, guilt = the fact of having done something; shame = the unpleasant emotion of humiliation or distress at the awareness of having done a wrong or foolish action.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

I’m currently restricting alcohol due to unfavorable waistline measurements and imminent performances. Phooey anyway.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

Well, so much for THAT. LOL DH and I went to a wine-tasting dinner Feb 16. Hoo! Cannot do that more than once every two months or so. The venue provides six small plates with matching pours. Hic.

We won a nice bottle in a raffle and, thanks to one of DH’s clients, had so much wine in the cabinet I had to pull one out before we could put the new one in. OH DARN. Truchard Pinot Noir … it was very nice. :-)

djk

De-clutter booze

Hmmm. Lent. Looking at the glass of Cabernet Sauvignon at my elbow.

However, I am reducing my wine intake (my poison of choice) during this season. We have a very small collection of special occasion wines but the supermarket wine is of such good quality here it’s a constant temptation

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

wheeee, i have had two dinner parties on two consecutive nights, with a whole day of builders finishing off odds and ends in between. not to mention some spectacular stormy weather.
    dust, chaos, cooking, talking, laughing, music, energising rain….and tearing open bottles of champagne like there is no tomorrow.
    and this morning i am feeling the residue of it all.

over the last two or three years, we have been drinking wine and not replacing it on our wine racks.
    i think they hold about ten dozen.
    we are down to about a dozen and a half and i am aiming to finish the wine eventually and then actually declutter the wine racks altogether.
    we don’t need to keep loads of wine on hand, and our climate isn’t conducive to wine storage anyway.
    we can safely leave that to people with airconditioning.

djk

De-clutter booze

Bandicoot, I just added “cutting soap for bandicoot, bringing some good champagne, and sitting on the veranda wrapped in blankies telling raunchy stories during a downpour” to my bucket list!

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

I wanna go with djk!

And chacha’s reason for adopting restrictions reminded me that I didn’t follow up here: DF did not drink any of the nice Bushmills, because he’s been on a diet! He’s lost 20 pounds and looks wonderful, and the Universe knows I love him, but he could bore for Britain about said diet: I couldn’t get a word in edgewise for 10 solid minutes while he told me all about it.

Now the Bushmills is back in the cabinet, along with the pretty glasses. I cannot give the stuff away!

djk

De-clutter booze

Ooohhhh Lucy let’s invite ourselves to bandicoot’s:) I’d bet we’d laugh ourselves silly

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

This is a good plan!

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

seriously, if you are ever in australia…come and stay. i mean it.
    we have hosted many a forum friend over the last ten years and we’ve been hosted in turn.
    marvellous fun!

s

De-clutter booze

I hear a big meetup at bandicoot’s! I wanna go, too!

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

Hey, progress! I juiced 15 limes today, and some of it went into a pitcher with the last of the tequila and triple sec. Did you know it’s National Margarita Day in the US? I didn’t either!

Ella

De-clutter booze

lucy: Just the curative I need! I’m on my way over.
    The next screeching tires you hear in your driveway will be mine.

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

Come ahead, there’s plenty.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

mmm..mmm…margaritas!

De-clutter booze

Oh dear – I thought this thread was meant to be about reducing one’s intake of alcohol, not getting sloshed! :-)

bandicoot – how close are you to somewhere like Cairns? One day I’d like to go to the Atherton Tablelands to see where my father grew up before his family moved south when he was a teenager.

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

laetitia, i live in the atherton tablelands…southern end :)
    it is actually paradise on earth here

glossta1

De-clutter booze

I’ve been avoiding this thread this last few days, acutely aware of how much wine I had consumed during the half term holiday the week before last. I needn’t have worried, need I?! Sounds like you’ve all had a Very Jolly Time :)

I’ve been drying out all last week. I swapped wine to beer – didn’t expect that to work for me, but actually it did. A pint of beer (yes, not ladylike, but no-one was looking) lasts a long time and contains way less alcohol than the equivalent quantity of wine. My body is very happy with the switch – much less dehydrating, so my niggly kidney is less niggly. I’m sleeping better too.

De-clutter booze

glossta1 – well done.

You’ve probably heard this before but if you drink the equivalent volume of water after the beer (1) your stomach will tell you’re too full to have anything else for a while and (2) your kidneys will be even happier.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

De-clutter booze

I have light beer now, and notice a big difference if I have anything stronger – the additional fluid makes a huge difference. I’d like to cut it back further, but making good progress.

simple maths: one beer per day, occasionally two, = average of 1.5 sixpacks per week, @$13 to $15 per sixpack = $20 per week x 50 weeks = $ 1000 per year on booze!

bandicoot

De-clutter booze

i spend around this much on alcohol for the house, every 18 months or so:
    a dozen bottles of champagne $600 ( i wait for the sales, but sometimes i will splurge on a vintage and just get a half case)
    a dozen bottles of my favourite rosé $240.00
    a couple of bottles of single malt $120-$180
    about once every 18 months i will buy one bottle of specialty booze for cooking…desserts, making vinegars, marinades, herbal tinctures….sherry, rum, vermouth, liqueurs, that kind of thing. anything up to $80 or so.
    if we are travelling, we will often buy a bottle of duty free gin or vodka….but last year i couldn’t even be bothered being weighed down with that.
    twice a year, i might end up in the biiiig bottle shop in the city and then i will probably buy a few bottles of reskorderlig cider.

it feels like a very modest amount compared to when we were younger, but it might seem like an outrageous quantity to others.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

bandicoot, I haven’t fully accounted for our alcohol bill last year, but I suspect it’s easily $1000 – and on years we vacation in wine country, much MUCH worse!

I actually am planning to declutter the bar cabinet a bit this year, we have accumulated a few too many bottles of this & that … currently we are working on a lovely port from the Sierra. And there is an ice wine in the fridge that will go with us to a dance event in a couple of weeks.

Decluttering booze is like decluttering the DVD collection via re-watching: mostly fun. :-)

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

@Laetitia: in my defense, I would like to say that I’m not buying new bottles as these are emptied.

@chacha: Continuing your DVD rewatch analogy, some parts of the decluttering are more like “Why did we buy this? This is terrible! Did we really think we’d want it again?”

We have a bottle of blue curacao; DH found a recipe for PanGalactic Gargleblasters and wanted to make it for New Year’s. We have discovered that we both hate it, and at some point it’s probably going to get poured down the sink if we can’t find someone to take it.

Northshore
    Participant

De-clutter booze

I don’t know what I spend on liquor every year and I think that’s best. I did think one time I should add it up and make sure my charitable donations were a reasonable multiple of the booze bill. I have a bad habit of buying too much and then giving it away; I usually bring a couple bottles of wine when I’m a guest. I stocked up for Christmas and then ended up taking the nearly full bottles of gin and vodka to the next family gathering. The bourbon stayed with me. :) It’s getting time to finish what’s in the basement; summers are too warm to keep wine for long.

De-clutter booze

I’m a lucky person who can take or leave alcohol. I stopped any alcohol and a few foods in the new year due to stomach ulcers (which are due to medications). Last night was the first time this year I’ve even thought that a rum and coke would be nice. Not nice enough to drive to the store in snow though… and certainly not nice enough to risk the stomach aches.

I think I’m spending the money elsewhere, perhaps groceries, as I haven’t seen a drop in expenditure.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

@lucy … PanGalactic Gargleblasters?! LOL

Blue curacao: I think it only exists to make beachfront cocktails in neon colors. I recommend you take it along the next time you are invited anywhere and just sneakily leave it somewhere when no one is looking.

De-clutter booze

lucy – drinking it is certainly a valid way to declutter. :-)

I have a few things lurking in a cupboard. One day I’ll take them out and try them to see if they are still any good.

I’m so with you on the ‘what is this?’ front – I’m pulling boxes of assorted stuff out of the garage to declutter. Some of the stuff I see I wonder which of us kept it and, more importantly, why? oh WHY?! particularly when it’s not readily identifiable (what is this scrap of fabric / is this a book or a calendar / I think these shoes have disintegrated past the point of new soles). Actually, the shoes in need of new soles was disappointing because they were really comfortable and the old soles were good for dancing (smooth underneath).

As for blue curacao, I’ve only had it in cocktails where I wouldn’t know its flavour to distinguish it. Got any friends who like cocktail experimentation?

luxcat

De-clutter booze

We have an unopened bottle of tequila which someone brought to a party in probably about 2006 and which we have not managed to unload yet. I will try to bring it to the next get together we attend, if possible.

Also on the declutter list (and not by drinking)… a bottle of port.

ceduke

De-clutter booze

I get migraines easily, especially when I drink even a small amount, so I generally just don’t. My uncle got me a HUGE bottle of Grey Goose for my birthday in July and I put it in the freezer and immediately forgot about it. Most of my friends aren’t big drinkers either…I’m not sure what to do with the thing.

De-clutter booze

luxcat – I’m not much of a drinker but you can send the port my way. ;-)

ceduke – does ebay (and state / federal laws) allow you to flog off alcohol? Maybe call it a Grey Goose bottle (and the lucky winner finds that it’s actually a bottle of GG)? Maybe spike your uncle’s orange juice the next time he visits (maybe that’s what he’s hoping for)?

ChiFlower

De-clutter booze

I say “less is more”. Drinking 3 glasses of wine will be more enjoyable (overall) than drinking the whole bottle by yourself in a night. 3 glasses and one stands a reasonable chance of waking up feeling ‘normal’ in the morning. Drink the whole bottle, and it’s more or less guaranteed you’ll be waking up with some degree of a hangover.

lucy1965

De-clutter booze

@ceduke, I know people who’ve made their own vanilla extract by infusing vodka with vanilla beans; people who drink a lot would faint at the idea of doing that with Grey Goose, but if you don’t drink and can’t rehome it, why not? It’s just taking up space otherwise.

chacha1

De-clutter booze

I’ve read that vodka makes a good odor remover for fabrics.

djk

De-clutter booze

Liquid vanilla isn’t available here so I make my own, too

However, I think I would spare GG the indignity:)
    Actually, I am of the camp of “if it’s clutter for you, no need to keep it. ” Donate it as a door prize to an event, or something.

glossta1

De-clutter booze

Chiflower you are right. I had wine on friday for the first time all week, and 3 glasses was almost too much, in fact, but certainly made a good maximum. And then last night I switched back to beer and had maybe 3/4 pint. I am no longer missing the wine, and although the beer is ok as a substitute I don’t really crave it, so I don’t necessarily bother every day. Overall I’m really pleased with the progress.

ceduke

De-clutter booze

I found an unopened bottle of brandy that I bought to bring to my family’s Christmas party that never got touched, and gave it to a neighbor. Still waiting for a chance to unload the GG on someone, it’ll happen…Maybe the neighbor wants it too? Hmmm…

bandicoot

how is everyone doing with this big declutter?

we had someone over for dinner a few nights ago and after pouring us all a quite complicated rum and vanilla cocktail that i made specially, DH and i were content to call it a night.
    our guest ploughed through most of a bottle of red on their own and the next day they confessed they had awoken somewhat seedily and painfully.
    i felt righteous and smug and not at all ill from my single drink. and DH was up and gone by 5.30am, so he has no time for hangovers at all these days.

glossta1

Oh wow Bandicoot – you found the de-clutter booze thread! I couldn’t find it, and I was missing it.

Sounds like you are doing really well. We have successfully swapped from wine to beer if we want a drink on weekdays, and in fact have extended that now pretty much to wine on Fridays only. I find a pint is pretty much the maximum beer I can take in in one evening – it starts to slosh around uncomfortably in my stomach after that, so it is naturally limiting. I feel massively better for the switch, and in fact I can’t drink more than about 3 glasses of wine on Friday now, so it has been win, win. I am sleeping better and feeling sharper of mind. Saving money and improving health.

clutterbug22

Glad to hear the booze cut-down is making you feel better. Mind you, I have a bottle of shiraz cabernet sauvignon beckoning me tonight, think I shall need it after trying to make head or tail of the new forum lay-out, lol ;)

clutterbug22

Glossta1,

How is the booze decluttering going? Sounds like you are feeling healthier. Switching to beer is a good idea, although for me I might feel a bit bloated with it, but it is handy in that it fills you up before you feel too merry!

glossta1

It’s going very well, Clutterbug, thank you – I am so pleased. Wine is pretty much just for Friday nowadays, and because of that I find I don’t need or want anything like as much as I used to – I get squiffy on far less now! On other nights if I want a can of beer now I have one, but I struggle to drink more than one can. Overall my alcohol intake is much reduced, and I feel clearer-headed and healthier. Less guilty too, about the example I’m setting my offspring.

How’s everyone else doing?

iiris

This has been such an inspiring thread. Personally, I have several bad habits to declutter out of my life, but I’ve managed this one. Caught myself in time, you might say, after my wilder university days. I try use leftover wine in stews and such. Just make ice-cubes… erm.. wine cubes? out of it and then when cooking (not that often, but I do try!) throw in a couple of cubes for flavor. That way you also won’t have to open a new bottle just to add some flavor to your dish and then having to drink the rest.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.