Home Forums Welcome Hello! Cult of less: Living out of a hard drive

This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of badkitti badkitti 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Kamakazi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10928032

From the good old BBC.

Now while I agree with the premise of the article, most of my stuff is digital and more is becoming digital all the time. I have to laugh at the “minimalist” who rides his bike around DC and really just traded in his basement apartment for….bumming off of friends. Seriously?

Also, I accidentally put this in the “Hello!” forum…woops

charmed2482

Cult of less: Living out of a hard drive

I just read this, and I like it, except at the ends where it gets weird when they talk about uploading your brain onto a hard drive.

jbeany

Spending all your time mooching off of your friends for a place to sleep seems like a great way to unclutter your list of friends.

ValH

I read that article and just came over here to post it. You beat me to it.

It was an interesting read, I like the thought of digitalizing a lot of things, CDs, Books, DVDs, Photos,…not that I choose to have only digital copies of a lot of these things. But I agree with everyone’s comments about him mooching off his friends. It would be one thing if he downsized to an extremely small and inexpensive apartment, but to basically choose to be homeless is quite another.

Plus, the thought of just living and moving around like that is not practical for a lot of people. If you have kids it would be impossible (or harmful for you kids) and if you have a job that requires any sort of physical things that you need to interact with at home it would be a pain.

But I found the article interesting because there is a lot that people are digitalizing now; however, I think for the most part it is just putting us into a more uncluttered state like people would have been in the past where there were not a ton of CDs and DVDs or even a ton of cheap books cluttering up peoples’ lives, they had other things instead.

But I enjoyed the article, but until it got to the point about “mind uploading” which made an interesting article a bit ridiculous.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

it’s funny – every now and then a story about someone living homeless deliberately surfaces. I remember some guy or girl living in the university corridors.

That guy is just a freeloader.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

I was just thinking – on the other hand, like the ‘extreme’ minimalists Erin occasionally features, it does show you what is possible. He’s earning a decent living it says, so he could pay rent on a room in a shared house or a small flat.

terriok

That “fellow” has more than a few marbles tilting in his pinball machine.

Hmm. Shed my body? Maybe I’d settle for a few pounds! Is that an out-of-body experience?

I honestly do not think anyone can accurately predict where the technology will go.

Why not just go ahead and build your self a hard drive capsule and climb in? It certainly might prove more practical that braving the “mean” streets of New York when it is ten below.

In Chicago, they might deposit you on the street like a broken tricycle to save a parking spot in 5 feet of never plowed snow!

In my next life, I’d have to come back as a hard drive? Nah, I’d rather be riding the waves and frolicking as a dolphin!

badkitti

Dolphin? I’ll book in for reincarnation as a cat – one with a good home obviously.

terriok

I love my Kitty Cats. ;o)

jbeany

I want to be reincarnated as MY cat!

charmed2482

I would not feel safe riding around on a bike with 3000$ worth of stuff in NY or anywhere

badkitti

Apparently the average woman walks around with most of her material wealth here in the UK. Engagement rings, laptops, ipods etc … makes you think…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.