Home Forums Welcome Hello! Clutter scale pictures – where are you?

This topic contains 26 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Sky Sky 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Netleigh

Zora posted this on another thread, I think it’s worthy of it’s own one! though I think it’s more probably more appropriate to hoarders than unclutters.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/diseases/articles/2007/04/02/bedroom_clutter

I’d put myself between 1 and 2, they have missed out the piles on surfaces but a clear floor shot!

Sesberry

Clutter scale pictures – where are you?

Yeah, I’m between 1 and 2 too. I have piles on the chair, top of the dresser etc but no rubbish on the floor.

Puts it in perspective!!

Sesberry

Yeah, I’m between 1 and 2 too. I have piles on the chair, top of the dresser etc but no rubbish on the floor.

Puts it in perspective!!

Netleigh

I have to add that my FiL’s house was a 6 in most rooms but a 9 in the cellar. Not much fun for us to sift through after he died last October.

irishbell

I’m a 1. I’ve always liked my stuff(no matter how much)neatly put away. Dh is also quite tidy, which has been helpful over the years. I fidget if there is bunches of stuff out and about.

Netleigh: My thoughts exactly! There is a LOT of play between a perfectly pristine environment (1) and junk piled up on the floor (2). I saw these pix as reflecting more of a MESSY scale than a CLUTTER scale. It’s conceivable that the 1 is actually cluttered, if the stuff in the room is not needed, used or loved; the 3 or 4 could actually be uncluttered in a sense if all of the stuff piled around was needed and loved but just out of place.

So, using this scale, I would place myself as somewhere between a 1 and 2. In reality, on a scale of 1-10, I would probably estimate I would have started as a 5 (fairly average amount of clutter for an American, but almost all of it neatly stowed away out of sight) to probably a three, aiming just a little higher.

trillie

Used to be a 3 (with a LOT more furniture in the room though), am now a 1.3. :o)

Mimi

LOL, i think i am 0,5 :)

Joless

I would put myself at a 1 about 50% of the time, and between a 1 & 2 the rest of the time. Clutter makes me stressed so I try and tidy as I go but it’s certainly not always perfect.

Charity

Wow, I feel a lot better about myself now. I’ve got living room, adult bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms down to a 1 most of the time now :) DS’s room is 2 as a rule, and DD’s room and the playroom more like 3. Getting there though.

Kamakazi

I am a number 1, actually a .75 most of the time at the moment but that is mostly because I just moved from a 600 sqft apartment to a 1020 sq. ft. apartment. I will probably settle at about a 1.5 once my fiance moves in.

tmichelle

I’d say a 1.5. There seems to be a big difference between a 1 and 2 to me.

minimalmaya

0.5? We don’t have storage under the bed or books or anything in the bedroom. Just a bed, a nightstand, a lamp and a hamper (and the closet behind a door).

I think those pictures would look a lot different if the items were stored in additional furniture and piled up storage boxes

Ginger

1 is what my bedroom looks like when I clean it, and 2 is what it looks like when I havn’t cleaned it for a week (which I admit happens from time to time). I don’t have enough stuff to make it any worse, which is good, considering my cleaning habits lol.

Kamakazi

Ginger: That is another great thing about getting to a good uncluttered point, even if you don’t clean the maximum amount of mess than can be created is substantially lower.

Anonymous

I’m a 1 most of the time, except for some errant cat toys. On busy days, I’m around a 1.5 — usually small piles develop on surfaces, but the floor always stays clear.

chacha1

I love the way more chairs keep coming into the room. Like they are seeking their herd. … Definitely no more than a 1.5 in my house, except the home office. I do not count transitory clutter, like tools left out for an ongoing but short-term project!

djk

posted on the other thread, didn’t see this one. I am probably between 1 and 1.5! Nothing on the floor, that is a given, and a 2″ stack of today’s work files beside me on the desk. Coffee cup and hand lotion and basket of rocks and sea glass on the desk too. I can live with that.

Parsifal

My home office – 1. Most of the house? The second picture, but with a lot more stuff stacked up and not so much garbage on the floor.

inga

most of my house is .5, my desk surface looks like a 1 but my spare room is more of a 2.

I agree it strikes me more of a messy scale than a clutter scale tho.

Rosa

My house is mostly a 1, but the kitchen is currently a 2 (well…sort of. Except we don’t have any countertops right now so that’s a little different) and my office and bedroom are never better than a 2, sometimes up to a 3 – I made some progress in the office over MLK day weekend but in general one of us is *always* working in it, which makes it hard to clean, and our bedroom is always last on my list because I can just shut the door when people come over :P

Rosa

I think it’s hard to really photograph clutter on the large scale. Partly for plain accessibility issues.

It takes questions like “are all the rooms in your house usable for their intended purpose?” and “Are any windows or doors inaccessible?” and stuff like that. Or even “if I handed you an object, could you set it down without having to clear a surface first?” and “are there any places for guests to sit?”

ninakk

Some areas of our studio are organized in line with 2 or 3, others 1.

JuliaJayne

My bedroom bedroom is a 1 to 1.1 on any given day. The point 1 is when I haven’t picked up my clothes from the day before or forgotten to take my water glass to the kitchen. I struggled with insomnia for years, so keeping the bedroom serene, clutter free bedroom was very important.

EraserGirl

my home looks somewhere between #1 and #2, but that takes a lot of effort. If I hold a day job for an extended length of time (i work out of the house at the moment) My place can easily drift into #3 and when i was married and before that I was a #3/4.

bandicoot

the difference between 1 and 2 is enormous, i think!

i am a 1, and like erasergirl, it takes a lot of effort. continual ongoing effort.
    i don’t begrudge the effort….a beautiful environment is something worth working for.

Sky

Happy to say I am a 1. My office is a 2 at the moment because my MIL is moving cross country, not taking anything but her clothes and personal items so she is dumping stuff on my DH. Mostly pictures and family things to go through. I hope it is temporary!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.