Home Forums Technology Cable management

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Astreja Astreja 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    KevBel

Anyone got some cool tips on cable management?

We recently redid our basement and I need to take care of all the cables behind the TV.
    Behind the desk too, but that’s not as bad.

teerexx52

Cable management

Yes, I use something called the CableBox from Blue Lounge. http://www.bluelounge.com

Anonymous

Cable management

I always thought this was a particularly good method for handling cables and peripherals underneath a desk.

Cable management

PJ, that’s pretty genius. I’ll be showing this to my sweetheart as soon as he wakes up.

JCos

Cable management

The CableBox looks nice, but can’t something be made from a hardware store for cheaper?

s

Cable management

I love all the ways to corral and hide cables. However, does anyone have a good solution for all the cables that need to plug into USB ports on a laptop? I have 4 USB ports on my laptop and it seems like 20 things to plug in (mouse, webcam, external hard drive, scansnap, fitbit, printer, etc. I’ve got a nice USB 2.0 hub from CablesToGo, with 7 USB ports, but they seem to get all crowded together and it’s tough to pull one out if needed. Also, my external hard drive complains that it would work faster on a different port…which I don’t understand since the hub is externally powered. I’d love to just have the USB hub plugged into one of my USB ports and everything else plugged into the hub. That way, if I want to move my laptop/luggable around, it’s just the power and one USB to deal with. Any suggestions??

trillie

Cable management

@s: That sounds like a cable octopus! The first thing I thought was “wow, does anybody actually _need_ all these things at the same time?” but then again, if you always have to plug something in/out depending on what you are working on, that’s annoying too.

@KevBel and s, have you tried Lifehacker.com for a few ideas? There is a search function, and they even have an own category tag for cable organization: http://lifehacker.com/tag/cordmanagement :o)

Claycat

Cable management

Also, right here on Unclutterer, there is a cable clutter section!

http://unclutterer.com/category/cable-clutter/

s

Cable management

Thanks for those suggestions, trillie and Claycat. Both of those focus more on tidying the mess of cables. I guess I’m looking for a USB hub/docking station or something like that. I’d like to put it away in a corner under/behind the desk.

mpoush

Cable management

Here’s a solution I just implemented for disguising some necessary cable clutter:

“We just moved our office into a larger room that does not have a phone jack. That means running wire from the other room for the modem and phone. Two ugly black cables hanging down were not the ideal, however. So I painted them dark green, and made some paper flowers on green pipe cleaners, then wrapped them around both cables, so it looks like a flowering vine. It’s still there, but now it’s decoration instead!”

guicapanema

Cable management

@mpoush Awesome solution! I think I’ll use something similar :)

getorganized

Cable management

To hide the cables you could see behind my TV/entertainment center I ended up buying a 2 yard piece of black fabric. I pinned it to the back of the entertainment system and let the cables go around it. From the front you don’t see cables anymore, just a nice black backdrop….

Of course I tie up everything simple black reusable velcro cable ties I got from buycableties.com too….

MT Home

Cable management

If there’s an IKEA close by, they have some great and reasonably-priced products.

Astreja

Cable management

I favour Velcro straps (preferably the double-sided type, like some gardening Velcro I acquired a few years ago). The thing about cables is that they occasionally need to be rearranged, so it’s good to have a system that you can open or close at will.

For a homemade cable management run, get a roll of strapping material and attach it to the wall or the back of the desk with screws… Very short (< 3/4″) screws with fairly coarse threads and big heads. If you use screws with smaller heads, you may need washers to keep the screw head from pulling through the strapping. Attach short pieces of strapping to concealed points on the desk or wall, anchoring through the middle of the piece so that one end can be stuck to the other, and they should keep cables hidden and under control.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.