Home Forums Welcome Hello! Attic storage

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rosa Rosa 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of AleighJc
    AleighJc

So I really like the uncluttered look, and I’m thinking of putting all of our holiday stuff in the attic. I live in Georgia and worry how the heat might effect things in the attic. Anyone have any experience?? Do plastic things start to break down/smell?? I don’t think I’ll put anything with fabric/cotton up there.

Profile photo of pkilmain
    pkilmain

Attic storage

Where is it now? Would the attic really be better? I suspect that the heat would not be good for the plastic.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

Attic storage

I think susanintexas would be the one to advise you. IIRC, she has their Christmas stuff stored in their attic… in a rather challenging climate!

Profile photo of paisley
    paisley

Attic storage

I live where it gets very hot and humid in the summer (April to November!) I store my Christmas decorations in large plastic totes that you see in the stores all the time. The only issue I have had is some warped candles, so now I don’t store the candles in the attic. I used to have some decorations I didn’t care about, but have since purged those and have ones I really enjoy. That said, I don’t know that they are heirlooms, which might make a difference for your purposes.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Attic storage

I live in South Carolina where it is hot and humid in the summer and I was noticing things in the attic were not looking good. So, as I uncluttered enough, I brought my attic stuff down and stored it in closets. Even though I only use my Christmas stuff once a year, it is so convenient not dragging it out of the attic and putting it back and it’s definitely in better shape living in the air conditioning.

The only things in my attic now are post office boxes for mailing and a big Rubbermaid box of 7 years of tax returns.

So, yes the attic heat makes plastic thing smell bad and everything deteriorates.

Profile photo of Rosa
    Rosa

Attic storage

We have an unfinished, 100% nonweatherproof attic (the single-pane windows let in snow, sometimes – and it doesn’t melt). Our weather isn’t that hot, but the attic’s routinely 110-120 degrees in summer.

i store lots of stuff up there, in plastic totes – the temperature swings don’t bother it. I store winter clothes up there during the summer. Candles, photos, vinyl records, anything you woulnd’t leave in a hot car, don’t put in the attic.

But our holiday decorations are mostly wood, glass & ceramic, and they’ve done fine. I don’t have an artificial tree or wreaths, but plastic tree garland has done well also, and some plastic bulbs for the ceramic tree.

Christmas stuff seems like a good attic option for you, since you don’t have to go up there in the sweltering heat to get it to use. The one thing I won’t store up there is canning supplies, because nobody wants to go retrieve them in July or August.

Attic storage

Our weather is certainly hot, but not terrible humid compared to Georgia. We store stuff in the attic in plastic tubs and have not noticed any odor or deterioration. The stuff has been up there for almost 20 years.

Profile photo of AleighJc
    AleighJc

Attic storage

I think I will give it a shot after I go through our stuff. I think most of it is glass/ceramic and wood. I just hate opening a closet every now and then and seeing the Christmas or Halloween plastic tub in there. I see it almost weekly, but only need it one month of the year. I’d rather hide it away. I put our christmas lights up there the other week when I realized I could probably put it all up there.

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

Attic storage

If you have a little housekeeping money to spare, you could add some insulation to your attic before you start storing things up there. Could make a big difference in your utility bills as well as make it more comfortable to use the space. Might even get a rebate or tax credit for it.

Profile photo of Rosa
    Rosa

Attic storage

Insulating the attic itself – as opposed to insulating between the unfinished and finished parts of the house, like the attic floor – is surprisingly expensive, because doing it wrong can cause moisture/mold problems in the attic (and where we live, ice dams on the roof – not a problem in Georgia)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.