Home Forums Challenges ATAD March 2014

This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of ArJa ArJa 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    daylily
    Participant

Any thing for March yet???

ottawa

I just got rid of the potential for 300-400 pieces of paper and it will continue every year as long as I live in my apartment! I ran into the mail carrier downstairs and had him put a red sticker in my mail box, so now I won’t get any junk mail. Maybe I should call the “no solicitors” hotline to stop phone solicitations.

ArJa

Out the door in March so far: 8 old vhs tapes to trash, printer cartridge and some cords recycled, and 56 books, 6 cds, & 4 outfits sold.

ottawa

Tomorrow, I will be giving my friend three pieces of fabric I won’t ever use plus three quilt tops for Victoria Quilts. I rummaged around in my closet and found a broken clock, a broken ruler, several bits of very ugly fabric and a pair of slacks I didn’t know I had (which I didn’t even bother to look at, let alone try on). All of these went into the garbage.

ottawa

I went through my pen collection and threw 8 out (out of ink). I’ll take 15 to work tomorrow, as I will never use them at home and we (a non-profit ISP) need pens badly.

CanadianKate

Hello all, new here.

First, what does ATAD stand for? I’m thinking XXX YYY A Day but can’t think of what XXX and YYY are.

I’m on a semi-major downsize (was supposed to be major but then we found an apartment with a killer view and lots of room) and so I’m busy reducing our possessions by 1/3. I was doing great, then took 3 months off over the winter and am now back to work hard since there are only 5 more garbage days until our move. Today we didn’t put out the max 6 items because I couldn’t find enough to toss. On the other hand, earlier this week three boxes of items from the workshop went to the ReStore and today two large desks from our home office were sold. Adding the 3 items of garbage that did go out, it was a reasonable amount out the door.

My quantity out the door this week is impressive but Ottawa’s post reminds me that I have to put a pile of pens in my purse to take to the church office. We are out again.

ottawa

ATAD = A Thing A Day. It’s meant to encourage people to unclutter, by establishing that just one thing a day does count. I did my big unclutter exercise about 18 months ago but I still have little pockets of things to do, many of which involve getting my mind to release things I don’t need.

ottawa

Just donated 20 books to the Friends of the Farm Book Sale. It involved 2 buses and a one mile walk each way but it was worth it. I was contemplating doing a second run today but it took too much out of me.

daylily
    Participant

Great job uncluttering large and small amounts everyone! I have been a bit side tracked by massive amounts to do at work combined with onset of seasonal allergies… so not much energy left over. Still, I am motivated by all of you and will take a look around today. I am starting the April ATAD today while I am on the computer. Ottowa – I love that you put 2 miles of walking into your uncluttering!! great exercise and commitment. (I have uncluttered a pound this week with my new weightwatchers group… slow but steady. You inspired me to try…) CanadianKate good luck with the move and stay at the uncluttering – I bet you will find more stuff as you reorganize in your new home. ArJa – I laugh about the VHS tapes – I still have several of favored movies- I don’t watch them often, but have kept the VHS/DVD player for them… (about 15 total.) I need to think that over.

daylily
    Participant

Almost forgot – while gathering roofing estimates – I managed to sell off our aluminum canoe (not used for 5 years.) A bit sad to see it go, though it will see good use in it’s new home. DH and I have learned that renting a kayak is much more fun and easier to manage as the company delivers to the water when and if we want it.

ArJa

This went to the wrong place the first time I tried to post & then I think I sent a PM instead. :) March ended with a truck to charity: 2 chairs, bookshelf, loveseat, TV, 60 clothing/linen, 12 dishes, 13 toys, & about 10 miscellaneous items.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.