Home Forums Challenges ATAD February 2013

This topic contains 404 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of s s 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    ninakk

Moving to a new month of A Thing A Day, from here:

http://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/atad-january-2013

ninakk

ATAD February 2013

Well, my first decluttering came quite unexpectedly. I needed to fish out the migraine medicine and spotted something that might be expired in my meds box. Not only was the cream old, but a total of five products can be taken to the pharmacy next time I go there.

Out, February: 5

ATAD February 2013

Well done, Ninakk — sorry about the migraine.

Two things early this morning:
    (1) Did a quick sweep through the pantry and came up with a small bag of stuff to take to Goodwill for the foodbank, plus tossed a few things. Also a container of coffee creamer (which I do not use) to go to the church where I have an office. They will use it.
    (2) Went through my pen drawer (something I skipped during the Peter Walsh declutter.) The results: the ones on the left get tossed, the ones in the drawer stay (for now) and the ones on the right are all logo pens that get taken to work where we can use them:

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

I emptied and trashed 2012′s ratty old Notebook of Doom, transferred ongoing stuff into a new notebook, made nice clean to-do lists, threw out the old ones. Also threw out some junk from the secretary desk in the home office and put the remaining detritus from our recent vacation in order for the scrapbook.

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

that must feel great chacha!

today I got rid of another pair of pants that I was questioning… I thought of having them hemmed into shorts, but I just really don’t like them that much. out they go.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

DH is off down the pub, and is returning a growler I found while cleaning out the basement.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

I got majorly behind on ATAD-ing thanks to a long stretch of daily migraines. So glad I have uncluttered *that*! But I am determined to keep up my streak, so I have some major ketchup to do … although I will once again give myself permission to count some piddly things as “things.” :P

So … outs for Jan. 24-Feb. 1:

- finally got rid of my 2012 wall calendar. I was so tempted to save the pretty pictures, as I always am, but they all went in the recycling bin.
    - 3 Xmas cards
    - 7 tags from clothing and a purse that have been beyond returnable for a long time!

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Hauled away from the front porch by a local charity: A box spring, bed frame, desk, cupboard, and elliptical trainer.

Giveaway: 1 blank journal.

ATAD February 2013

OUT: 1 blouse (too baggy), 1 pair of tights (too worn out)

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today — the Christmas photo cards I ordered, but never sent out in 2011.

No guilt, just moving forward. :)

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@Astreja – Wow! That’s a lot of poundage gone! Good job!

ATAD February 2013

We’ve had quite of rain here lately in the last couple of days and it’s cooler today. Anyway as a result of the rain coming, we must have had a population explosion of thousands of little black ants that suddenly appeared in one of our kitchen cupboards. So there I was dancing around the floor trying not to get bitten while emptying the cupboards for washing everything in them.
    Anyway I decluttered thousands of ants yesterday and today. Ouch and yuk!

sash

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    2 old bras, other underwear
    One pair of earrings, with a box, a bow, and a blank card- thank goodness we’re finally using our birthday present stash up!

ATAD February 2013

Aren’t we all doing so well!

As mentioned in the Jan Home Cure thread, I squeaked in at the end of the Cure today with a major declutter of the understairs cupboard- although perhaps less a cupboard, more a walk in space with lots of room and potential. However, since we moved in 1.5 yrs ago, it has become rammed with paint, sports kit, coats, DIY stuff, 2 folding bikes, tools, old flooring etc etc. All the stuff we need on a daily basis at the back, the stuff you hardly need at the front… You get the picture.

After 3 hours of sorting and clearing:
    2 bike loads (by DH) to the recycling depot of metal bits (DIY stuff, a box, shelf brackets, odd screws, metal tops, spike for washing line), wooden bits included a sawn-up kitchen cupboard door, pole and a shelving unit, all the old flooring, about 6 empty paint cans, used-up pots of filler and grout, 3 old mousetraps, plastic bottles and lids, an old mirror, the ‘sold’ sign from our house… The list goes on! It looks so so much better now. Much cardboard packaging added to the weekly recycling collection box.

Also 1 bag of rubbish binned, and we repurposed a shelving unit and some plastic boxes.

To take to the charity shop shortly: 2 photo frames, a plastic tray, tablelinen (unused), a small rugby ball, new-ish small camera bag and 3 giant bags of fabric recycling (they get money for rags).

In progress – a huge bag of flatpacked cardboard moving boxes- these will get freecycled.

Phew! Much better :-)

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

It’s a wash:

In – new practice skirt. Out – old practice skirt.
    In – new legwarmers. Out – old legwarmers.

Out – old practice shoes. Soon to be in – new practice shoes.

Some things, you just gotta have at least one of. :-)

ETA: Secret Squirrel, you win the New Month Blitz award!

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

out:

the case for a navigation system which died and was recycled months ago

$38 in coins in exchange for an amazon gift certificate (thanks for the reminder on that one fellow unclutterers!) now my change bowl is empty

in: a fabric re-usable bag from the dry cleaners. for a very small fee you buy a bag and bring it in every time you have shirt laundry or dry cleaning and instead of plastic wrap they use your own re-usuable cloth bag to keep the clothes dust-free until you get them home

pretty cool!

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: first bag of shirts from Former Employer (woohoo!), to Goodwill. I sang goodbye to them and chucked in the bin, then drove away with a lighter heart. The rest will go at week’s end; he wants three of the button-downs to wear under his jacket, but I’m going to try and talk him out of it.

The completely “not us” tea set and warmer from DH’s mother, back to Teavana for store credit

IN: a beautiful green matcha bowl and a gift card with the remaining credit, plus an order for a bright red teapot: I’ve wanted both of these for ages but couldn’t justify spending the money on them. Now I will have both AND still have money left over for tea!

Two whiskey glasses, which are going right back out again: one of our oldest and dearest friends missed his flight from London, won’t get here until very late tomorrow night and won’t have time for restorative booze acquisition (besides, all the liquor stores here are shut tomorrow). I am nobly sacrificing my 10-year-old Bushmills to the cause of “keeping S. sane while in Utah”, and sending it and the glasses back to the hotel with another friend.

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

Yesterday at school I had 3 lunchtime detention students sorting and stacking textbooks tidily, 2 more removing unused pages from old exercise books for the rough paper pile and recycling the used bits, and 2 more sharpening 144 colouring pencils. While I supervised I tidied my desk. Win, win, win, win. It felt so good I went home on a high and…

… sorted my car out. The boot (trunk) now has a bag filled with spare carrier bags for supermarket shopping. The dashboard has a non-slip mat for mobile phones etc, and the rear seat central foot-well has a shallow square basket with a small rubbish bin, a box of tissues, an old babysock with coins for car park meters and an old satnav in case my phone is ever unable to perform that funstion.

Sasjanep

ATAD February 2013

2 bags to Oxfam, one was previously mentioned items, the other had:

-3 books, as per Peter Walsh’s challenge
    -1 scarf, perfect width for wearing under my ski jacket, which i wear when not cycling to work, but REALLY annoying length. I will just use my cycling buff and be done with it.
    -1 brand new pretty notebook.
    -4 items of clothes my sister insisted i would love that she didnt anymore, straight into the donation bag none of them are my stlye.

Not a bad start to February!

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Oooh, luxcat, so jealous that you have the fabric reusable bag option at your dry cleaners! I hate the waste of the bags I carry my items to the cleaners in and the ones they use to protect my clothes. My only consolation is I can recycle the ones they send home with me with my plastic grocery bags at the store.

ATAD February 2013

sounds like fun, lucy1965! Just curious–what are your favorite teavana teas? There is one store not too far from here, but I was given a gift cert to a different place + had supermarket teas to use up.

nicely done, glossta1! I just tidied my car, too. I found a visor-clip tissue holder (99-cent store), so I’ve finally solved my car problem of crushed boxes of tissue.

IN today:
    - basic kitchen whisk
    - at last! a used book (primary text) I need for research; shipped from overseas, since it’s not available here.

OUT:
    - a supposedly fancier kitchen whisk that never really worked right.
    - a stray plate I had been using as a cosmetics/jewelry tray (since 1997 or so?). The design isn’t really me anymore, and anyway it’s a clutter magnet.
    - the duller kitchen shears–didn’t know we had duplicates.
    - packaging and (obvious?) instructional booklets we didn’t need any more.
    - 2 empty jars from candles, 1 candle I didn’t like.
    - a small embroidered heart thing I’d made ages ago.
    - in today’s laundry, I finally finished a bottle of bluing that was older than I am. [opinion poll: should I get more, or is it just cluttering my laundry process? i.e., does it work?]

REPURPOSED:
    - all the candle ends from the last two months–made into 4 votive jar candles.
    - a wooden drawer divider my sister forgot she had, now in a narrow kitchen drawer.

Beth213

ATAD February 2013

Haven’t posted for a couple of days, so the list is long:

Out:
    Towels that have seen better days
    various bottles and such of used up/dried up contents
    mismatched and won’t ever wear socks
    crud from the varous organizers I have been cleaning out
    TONS OF DUST and grit from the extra room as I have been cleaning and packing up things from my stepson to put in storage

Donate Pile:

Wine glasses I don’t use
    various kitcheny items
    baseball hats that have never been worn
    a small table that is just too tippy to be used comfortably
    various frames
    a small painting that I just don’t like anymore
    a straw hat
    my husband went through his closet (YEAH!!!) and got rid of a whole bag of clothes.
    A CFL 75 watt bulb I will never use
    Two compact mirrors
    An entire pack of bobby pins (my hair has been short for over 2 years!!!)

Sending to my sister:
    My grandmothers recipes (the one I didn’t keep hee-hee) so she can go through them.
    Tons of index cards that i have no idea where they came from, but she uses them all the time for work.

GAINED:
    Room in said spare room for all the dishtowels I had no idea where to put before
    Room in the closet to put my porch cushions YEAH!!!!

The marinated chicken recipe of my grandmothers that my sister and I thought was lost – you have never heard anyone more excited by a recipe than she!!!!!

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Wow Beth, that’s quite an out list :) Congratulations!

Made a thrift store run today, dropped off a bunch of previously mentioned stuff and a shopping bag of candles, some unused cassette tapes, other odds & ends

Also out: a couple shopping bags worth of papers, a bag of VCR tapes, and a bunch of dried up acrylic tubes of paint.

I discovered another box of papers, but I couldn’t face it today. Hopefully tomorrow before work I can at least sort the obvious junk out of it.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Beth, congrats on the recipe find!

Finally got back to packing today, probably packed some things I shouldn’t have but I’m getting down to “panic!” mode where I just want everything boxed for the movers on Friday. Although, today was mostly kitchen packing and I’ve done a pretty good job sorting that out already anyway.

Out – 3 little tea bag rests, found in the back of the silverware drawer (???) so obviously I’m not using them. Also a fleece throw blanket and travel pillow that I don’t need.

In – new flannel sheets to replace my current ones. (Current ones are staying til I move, cause it’s just not worth re-doing everything for only a few more days.)

Ordered, because I made the unhappy discovery that my silverware tray doesn’t fit in my new kitchen: a new, expandable silverware organizer, and a “drawer mat” organizer kit for another set of drawers (been meaning to get that kit for 6 months now!) Fortunately the larger organizer fits the bathroom drawer, so at least I can re-use it and don’t have to go buy something else for there.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out for today:

- Kid’s cookbook given to us by my mom. It had a few recipes that looked okay, but far too many used meat. (One example was tuna fish cones — yuck!) Since we’re vegetarian, I didn’t see a point in keeping a cookbook where most of the recipes were ones we would never make.
    - Cookbook with super fancy recipes from local chefs. I picked out some that looked good, thinking I’d scan them. Then I went through again and picked out ones that didn’t have crazy ingredients and that I thought other members of my family would also eat. I ended up with three which I started to scan, then thought about where I would store them. Finally, I decided that there are plenty of recipes on the internet that are probably just as good as these, so I donated the whole book.
    - Magnetic Poetry. Sat on the fridge for probably 3 years without being touched by anyone.
    - Random refrigerator magnet that matches none of the others we have.
    - Crayons obtained by one of my kids from a restaurant.
    - Small set of math flash cards. My kids get plenty from school. I don’t need to hold on to these.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Giveaway pile: 3 books. I’m not going to be engaging in any in-depth studies of Icelandic grammar any time soon, and a surplus of books on Zen seems… ironic. ;-) I seem to be uncluttering my way towards the Library of No-Library.

paisley

ATAD February 2013

That is too funny, Astreja. Ironic, indeed.

@ProfClutter- never used bluing. Do you like it?

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@Prof.Clutter: there’s a difference between what I like and what I can afford. *grins* I was gifted a little bit of “Emperor’s Clouds and Rain” green tea and OMG. *falls over in a faint*

It depends on what you like. I’m big on blacks and greens, but since this is essentially play money I’m going to get some of their citrus/lavender/sage herbal as well as a bit of dragonwell green. Their entry-level blacks (Earl Grey and English Breakfast) aren’t bad, though there have been a couple of batches where I’ve wondered about the quality of the bergamot oil in the Earl Grey. So if you don’t mind telling me what you like to drink, I can suggest some things.

In unrelated news, after an awful evening out DH has decided that even if we are still here next year, this will be the last year for the party: he hadn’t realized how awful some of them were until he watched how they treated me. (I told one of them off for being a sexist asshat and walked out, and later cried in the parking lot because other than that interaction, I was ignored for two hours. It was at least five minutes before I was calm enough to get in the car; I hate crying like that, but at least no one other than DH saw me do it: everyone else got Righteous Wrath Face.) And we’re apparently getting rid of ALL of the glasses from our former pub, as he admitted to having mostly unhappy memories around his time spent there.

So I’m exhausted, dreading the party tomorrow, and have loaded my hot chocolate with rum. I will be so happy to unclutter these people from my life.

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Oh lucy…!! Sending you lots of hugs & furlumps send their nicest purrs/snuggles. So glad DH has decided to make this year’s party the last. Do you have to go? Can you just say you’re ill or something? I’m really sorry you had to put up with those asshats.

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

Lucy1965, what a horrible experience. I guess uncluttering so-called friends is necessary in life sometimes. I found myself saying to my teenage daughter the other day that there’s a difference between behaving in a friendly way towards people and being friends with them. The one is a sort of politeness-with-kindness that people might or might not deserve, and the other is a different and special thing that involves mutuality. I hope the party goes well for you, or as well as can be managed.

ATAD February 2013

My Dorothy L Sayers paperbacks are ancient and falling apart, but I do re-read them. Bought Kindle editions today of two books — so “Whose Body?” and “Clouds of Witnesses” are trashed. {sob} I’ll keep my eye out for on-sale Kindle editions and slowly replace them — and also my Maj Sjowall & Per Wahloo Martin Beck books (but $10 for pixels is too much when I already own the books.)

ATAD February 2013

ah, susanintexas, I did get Busman’s Honeymoon on Kindle, but I decided to keep my DLS paperbacks. Especially Gaudy Night, as it has more of my markings. And I got her short story collection recently enough that I had a nice acrylic cover to put on a new paperback, so that will hold up to hard use. :)

paisley, I know that bluing is supposed to help keep clothes looking whiter as it counters the dingy grey/yellow of white laundry. But maybe it was more useful or necessary a century ago–do our laundry detergents now have other ingredients for a similar purpose? Is this now redundant? I have to mix a few drops in a container of water and add to the washer (in our apartment complex laundry room). I am the only one I know who uses bluing, and the last year or so this old bottle had a broken top, so it was prone to leaks and messes. I might hold off on getting a new bottle, we’ll see if there’s a noticeable difference in the laundry in the next few weeks.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Out:

too many items to mention, clothes, kitchen items, paperwork, etc. of MIL’s as DH and I clean out her belongings :(

ATAD February 2013

Sorry that you are having to do that, Sky. Sending you and your family my best wishes.

Out: more bits of rubbish, following yesterday’s clear-out of the understairs cupboard. Random oddments of string, rope etc binned and more tiny metal things, including ancient nail clippers (!) and a pile of junk mail added to the recycling pile.

In: lovely new knickers to replace the old ones I recycled :-)

Not in: all the other tempting things I saw in the sales that I don’t need.

ATAD February 2013

sorry about your bad experience, lucy. I’m glad your husband recognized the problem and that you won’t have to deal with those people again after this. I wish you all the best.

I like Earl Grey, but I currently have enough of it: Mighty Leaf, Tea forte, and from a nice independent local shop–all outside of my usual price range, but were generously given as gifts, by people who know Earl Grey is my favorite! And, outside of tea, I use bergamot oil in bath & room fragrances and it’s in my cologne. Bergamot is a pleasant and comforting scent to me.
    I also have some lemon herbal and some berry blends from the supermarket to use up soon. I’m not fond of mint, vanilla, jasmine, or tropical fruits flavors in my tea, but I like citrus or berry. And I like some chai and some green blends, but I’m picky about those categories.

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

Incidentally Lucy1965 I just have to ask… what on earth is a growler? I googled and found a whole assortment of suggestions, none of them somehow suggesting a cellar location. Meat pie, drain unblocking chemical, teddybear stomach-parts… Is it one of those things that means something different in different areas? I’m in the UK.

OnARoll

ATAD February 2013

Another Thank You for the info on Coinstar, I have a huge can of change that I’d rather spend on books than take to the casino, which was our prior method of dealing with accumulated change.

I’ve had a bad week for decluttering, largely because the laptop is virus-y, and all my work surfaces were covered in clutter. So today I tossed a few things, but mostly PEEPed things, and bagged up some stuff I’m not using here to take to work, where I will use them (granola is not a tempting snack here, but it will be there, for example, also decorative paper plates/etc can be used for the group snacking events).

But mainly, I now have the main kitchen counter absolutely clear for the first time in years. And my kitchen table now has just the stuff on it that I want on it. Very good feeling.

Still a thousand to-dos, still a lot of anxiety, but now at least I have orderly places to sit down and work on my lists and projects.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

First things first: thank you all for the kind words. DH works in IT, and has known and interacted daily with many of these people since his late teens, but has only dealt with them in person bi-annually at most. The group suffers from most of the Geek Social Fallacies/REALLY fixed ideas about gender roles, but before last night he really hadn’t seen it in action: he was hanging out with his friends.

And give the man credit: when I said “You don’t get to talk to me like that. I’m leaving” and followed through, he stood up, said “No, you don’t get to talk to either of us like that” (the first comment was about how I was supposed to be treating HIM, and I slapped it down hard), and followed me out. I’m talking with some friends, working through “unsafe” versus “annoyed”, with the stipulation that this is the last year and I don’t have to see any of them again if they don’t meet the basic criteria of “people who like you will act like they like you.” I’ll update everyone tomorrow morning, if you don’t hear news reports of a giant crater appearing overnight in the Intermountain West. *grins*

@Sky, I’m so sorry. I wish you both strength and grace in dealing with this.

@Susan, I nabbed copies for $3 each not long ago; hopefully they’ll run another sale soon. It is frustrating; I have been known to shake my tattered books at the monitor while shouting “I OWN the bloody thing, just give me a digital copy!”

@Prof.Clutter: I think Teavana does herbal blends well, but they do have a “kitchen sink” approach that might not be a good fit for you: you’d need to check the on-line descriptions to rule out anything with the ingredients you don’t like, as they’re fond of “Oh, just a little of this in there won’t hurt!” in their blending.

@glossta1: in the US, a “growler” is a glass jug that carries a half-gallon (slightly upwards of 2 litres) of fresh beer home from a brewery. A deposit is paid on the bottle, and if the washed bottle is brought back, the next filling is slightly cheaper. We aren’t big beer drinkers, and the glass has a logo from this particular brewpub on it that brings up a lot of unhappy memories, so back it went.

There is a pub we love and have happy memories from, so we’ll grab a couple of pint glasses the next time we’re there. If we only put Diet Coke in them, who’ll care? *grins*

. . . okay, I’ve talked enough now.

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

@Onaroll that sounds like a great job done. I’m trying to keep my momentum going and not be swamped by everything that needs doing too, and someone on a different thread mentioned http://www.workflowy.com and I’ve just started trying it out – seems very good so far. After signing up they send you an email suggesting just a small way you can get started, which I felt able to follow with the help of their little video how-to clips under Help. I’ve watched a couple more now, and loved the way I can use tags to mark the items that need doing ‘soon’ and ‘now’. It’s such a simple idea for keeping track of everything and ‘chunking’ life so that everything seems more manageable.

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

@Lucy1965 thank you – I guess we would call it a pitcher here. Good luck for resolution or at least closure tonight.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - bed pillow
    - a new bottle of homeopathic remedy that was given me two years ago, never used/wanted.
    - sundry moisturizers and cosmetics over the last couple of weeks. Cleaning out my bathroom last month, I found plenty of samples and ends-of-bottles that I’ve been using up now that I actually *see* them in the medicine cabinet! I still have two nearly-empty tubes of foundation, but I’ve cleared off a shelf of other stuff.

I owned plenty of moisturizer but never actually remembered to use it on my hands, let alone my dry, flaky legs. (TMI) I’ve now recently had a chance to try several specialty product samples–in future, though, I am fine with making (and remembering to use) my own simpler products as needed: the almond oil/beeswax/water/essential oils cream, coconut oil/vitamin E eye cream, salt-and-honey exfoliation, etc.

mdfloyd

ATAD February 2013

Out: ancient package of cheese from the frig

Transformed: 1.5 pounds of ground meat into meatloaf, 4 organic potatoes into boiled cubed potatoes with parsley, one bottle of dried minced garlic

Yum!

Sasjanep

ATAD February 2013

Out – one shelving unit thing. Finally cleared and PEEP most of the things on there, donated the others. Broken down and kept for burning at our next Guide camp.

Also out, 4 Ikea DVD fabric store cases, my sister is taking these to see if they work in her new flat, if they dont, she will donate them.

Into donation bag, old filofax which did not sell on ebay.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Thank you all for the kind words. MIL didn’t have much but it’s the little personal things that get me. Fingernail clippers, little notes she made, reading glasses, her jewelry and for some reason, her wallet really got me.

My son said I’ve gotten rid of so much, when I go they won’t have anything to go through! Ha! I hope what I do have is organized and it’s easy for them.

OnARoll

ATAD February 2013

@glossta1, thank you. I do need to ‘chunk’ and prioritize.

@Sky, I lost DH in the fall, and I cry here and there every day, the strangest things will set me off. Haven’t done a big “clean-out”, I’m having to deal with stuff all through the house as I declutter on behalf of both of us. Anyway, it may be best to do it in a big burst like you are having to do, but in either case it’s so sad. Yes, the little things. And the little notes, in my case, are staying, so is the wallet. Lots of other big bulky things are going away, but not those notes.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

@OnARoll, hugs. I’ve let most of the notes go, but I still have DH’s sweaters and handkerchiefs. I think it’s the little things that remind one of everyday life and that’s where we experience the loss the most.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: old, stretched-out hair ties and hair bands, and two water pistols that I found when digging for something else in the garage.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

Out: A shirt to the donation bag. Accidentally broke a wineglass (the irony here: I was thinking to myself how I haven’t broken anything in a while and felt good about my eyesight getting better… and then: crash!). Dropped an old ointment off at the pharmacy (kept it for reference but in a DUH moment I realized I could just take a pic of it for reference) Gave my old laptop and all relating paperwork to a semi homeless woman that sells magazines close to my place. Got a hug in return which is so much better than… well, everything. :)

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Bunch of packing and shuffling today.

Out:
    -ceiling high “shoe tree” that won’t fit in the new bedroom
    -corner shower shelf thingy
    -2 patio chairs and table that I’ve never liked, new patio has room for better ones :)
    -half a set of measuring cups. Kept the 1 that is the right size for cat food, rest off to donation
    -found a few more plastic hangers to get rid of
    -spare toothbrush holder

Loaded all the donations into the car, probably won’t get them dropped off til Thursday, but at least they’re out of my way (not planning to drive til Thursday, so they’re not in the way in the car.)

Shuffled:
    -All the kitchen stuff that will fit in the cabinets in the new kitchen moved to the new apartment and put away, except the crockpot & rice cooker
    -all the “storage” stuff from both closets in the old place hauled down to the new apartment and “jenga’d” into the single, smaller storage area of the bedroom closet.

Bonus – turns out the scary black hole storage closet is really nothing more than Christmas decorations and some giant snowglobes, and a few boxes for my camera gear; that REALLY lightens up the mental weight of “OMG what’s stuffed in the back of the closet,” especially since it’s now only a single layer deep.

Time to take a little break, then go finish packing the kitchen stuff that WON’T fit in the new kitchen cabinets. Hopefully all stuff that fits on the big shelf moving down there next weekend.

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

Onaroll and Sky, I am so sorry – going through old stuff and parting with it is hard enough, even without the emotional upheaval of loss and sadness.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@Meglet – I love your use of the term “jenga’d” when describing fitting stuff into your storage area. I’ve always said that our apartment is a like a puzzle. You have to put all the pieces back in just the right spot. It’s getting less so with our decluttering but some spaces are still a challenge.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

@glossta1, I am in the U.S. and had never heard of a growler either! :)

@Onaroll and Sky, my sympathy on your losses and the painful process of going through their things. My dad passed away three years ago, and making decisions on which of his things to keep or let go has been so hard. I am already dreading having to make decisions about my mother’s things someday, assuming she dies before I do.

Outs for Feb. 1-3:
    - a large shipping box that had been hanging around far too long
    - packaging from some things I bought several months ago
    - a small decorative soap trashed, and the two others that came with it and have yet to be unwrapped are in my bag to bring to work and give away. I got the set of 3 as a gift, but I’ve decided liquid soap is a zillion times more practical for me.

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

not officially out yet but such a large step made I’ll count it as an out… and then I’ll count it as an out AGAIN when the darn thing is picked up- it’s been that big a chunk of clutter!

today DH and I wrestled the huge, heavy TV Stand Of Doom out of the basement and into the garage, where the charity guys can get to it for removal.

also out, a bottle of eye glass cleaning spray we had not ever used and was several years old.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Onaroll, I’m sorry for your loss.
    Thanks everyone.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

@sharonus – yep, my official term is “closet jenga” and I’ve gotten very, very good at it over the years. :D Fortunately, it’s not as bad since I no longer have the 3ft x 8ft storage closet from my old house. That was one scary closet!

A few more outs from packing:
    -airbake sheet buried in the bottom of the drawer under the stove
    -paperbacks buried in a box, they’re all available on Kindle so yay, less shelf space!

Contemplating:
    -a plastic water/juice pitcher – I’ve NEVER used it, but I do have the cupboard space, and for some reason I can’t quite let go of the “I should have a juice pitcher” mentality. It’s status is currently questionable, guess it depends on what else needs that space more in the new kitchen.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Trash: Some workshop scraps; a worn-out pair of socks.

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out today :

- 4x lightweight dumbbells (2x 1lb and 2x 3lbs), that I used as recovery aid after a wrist fracture… 9 years ago
    - 2x ankle weights, again used nearly 10 years ago, as I was doing physiotherapy after a knee dislocation
    - another 2 pairs of undies with a busted elastic (I could swear they are aware that their replacements are coming in the mail…)

I’ve kept the 5lbs dumbbells from the set (and breaking free of my “fear” of breaking sets of things in the process – bad pun not intended) because I often used them while doing some training at home, when I don’t have time for a full-blown gym session.

And I also had another moment of I-cannot-believe-I-kept-this-stuff-for-so-long…

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:

- Card covers my son used for his Pokemon card game. We realized pretty quickly that they were low quality and got some better ones, but never got rid of the low quality ones.
    - Exercise pants unused for more than 5 years. When I tried them again, I realized the waistband had lost it’s stretch. It’s hard enough to jog without having to worry if your pants will fall off.

sash

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    Another present (2 parter), a card, and wrapping supplies. So far this year (2013), there have been 8 birthdays, mostly cousins, and I haven’t bought anything new- just raided my present stash. I am going to try and completely use it up!

I’ve also started a list of things called projected upgrades. These are things I need or want to replace the meh things I have. For example, I would like proper noise-cancelling headphones so I can get rid of the 3 or 4 cheapie pairs I have. So far, the list is a net out. The same will be happening with shoes, clothes- EVERYTHING. I must remember to repeat the mantra of quality over quantity to myself.

Beth213

ATAD February 2013

@ONAROLL & @SKY – I feel for you both. It is so hard to “practical” and “sentimental” at the same time when you are going through loved one’s things. I am starting to part with some things I never thought I could of my Mom’s and she has been gone over 7 years. Good luck to you both.

On the upside – more weekend cleaning was done. I have a orderly bathroom closet and cabinet where I can acutally find things, and a large upstairs closet I can actually see the floor in!!!

Out:
    Sold the TV cabinet I had been using as a record player stand. (only had it listed for 8 hours on Craigslist, that is a first)

Goodwill Pile:
    Sweater
    Quilting frame
    Wall Vase – I love it, but I had given it to my dad and step mom who is no longer my step mom and I don’t want to think of her everytime I look at it!!!
    fabric
    dominos game

Trash:
    deck of cards missing 3
    a stuffed glove thingy on a dowel that you can use to swipe cobwebs but it got icky
    old pens and decrepit pencils

In the sisters pile:
    Two dolls of my mom’s – god knows why she needs them, and one of them really has a creepy face :)

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

I’m going to try to get back to ATAD. Accounting to this group does keep me focused. Yesterday’s out: an oil-burning light. I wrote up instructions for using it and put all in the Goodwill box.

ATAD February 2013

Welcome back to the cult, Northshore! Sounds like a productive weekend for everyone. I don’t do much uncluttering during the weekend because DH is home and watches me like a hawk. He rescues things.

Out today: a large ceramic incense burner shaped like a spiral that uses powdered incense. I have a much smaller one that I actually use sometimes — this one is new in the box :( Will take it to the staff meeting tomorrow to see if anyone there wants it, otherwise off to Goodwill.

britannia

ATAD February 2013

OUT to Salvation Army: 5 mats, 2 sweaters, 5 binders.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@sash – I love this image and I think it’s appropriate for your “projected upgrades” list.

Although it doesn’t say it, I think “own less” is also in that circle. For me, it comes naturally when I make a quality purchase. I don’t end up buying a bunch of cheap things that are “kind of” what I want/need or will “do for now”.

ATAD February 2013

Some work-related decluttering, loose change in drawer added to charity box, 2 books and 3 CDs returned to owner(s). First Aid box checked for expired stuff – handful had just expired so got put in an FA training supplies box. Spare FA box and unused stationery returned. Lots of papers recycled,as mentioned in the Paper Cure Thread.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

I dropped off donations to our SPCA thrift shop and there was a little 16 year old dog that the owners had dropped off! She is a tiny little poodle on kidney medicine and was wearing a sweater and was curled up in a doll crib! If I didn’t have a 13 year old and a 3 year old chihuahuas, I would bring her home. It was the saddest thing :(
    I don’t understand how her owners could just dump her because she’s old.

ElbowRoom

ATAD February 2013

An unopened, still wrapped bottle of cologne to a co-worker. People kept giving me the same cologne. Had 3, now down to 2. Must begin spritzing perhaps?

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - thrown away a significant amount of paper (Feb. Paper Cure)
    - donated two EMPTY (YAY!!!) file boxes and some folders
    - material to be shredded
    - small porcelain models of St. Paul’s & Westminster (bookshelf clutter)
    - 3 library books
    - small bag to colleague

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

Sky, I agree that it’s heartbreaking, but at least they made sure she was somewhere safe and didn’t simply dump her. Sometimes people are struggling with things that make that choice the best one they can make.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

As it needs its own post: I’m sure some of you would like an action report from last night’s party.

The chief asshat from the night previous missed the shuttle and, as he didn’t have our address and no one got his messages, didn’t make it to the party: his message to DH didn’t show up until after we’d packed everyone else into cars at the end of the night and sent them back to the hotel. There was disbelief at the announcement that this was the last party, but I’ve cleaned up the kitchen with a cheerful heart and am going to make limoncello and sorbet with the leftover lemons. I’ve got to take a case of beer back to Costco, but that’s a small inconvenience compared to uncluttering something that had become an enormous source of frustration.

And today, as if it were a reward for being brave, an unexpected IN: DH and my best friend conspired to buy me a babydoll T-shirt with the White Tree of Gondor on the front, and a note that read in part “For my friend, who always has enough courage for us both”. I am quite sniffly and have blubbed all over both of them, with another friend looking on and teasingly asking if I was planning to use it as a reference for a tattoo (I’ve said in the past if I did do ink, I thought I might like to have that on my back).

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

lucy- congrats on having (hopefully) decluttered that party for good!

out today: bag of canned goods and bag of hotel-type toiletries to a homeless charity… feels good to have them out of the front hall

britannia

ATAD February 2013

The weather promises to be good (-8C and sunny) for Wednesday, so I emptied all of my surplus books out of my locker and loaded 30 of them in my shopping trolley, ready to take up to the community centre for their book sale. That leaves two crates left, which, if my strength holds out, I’ll take up in two more runs (or not). Also decided to turf a humidifier and two pictures to the Salvation Army – maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

Once those books are gone, I can start again on weeding out more won’t-read-agains from the bookshelves.

clutterbug22

ATAD February 2013

Lucy1965,

Sorry to hear about your awful party experience, probably being a bit behind here but what was the party in aid of? Is (Was) it a yearly work mates party for your dh at your home?

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@clutterbug: it started out as a “Yay we survived the trade show!” party that coincided with our anniversary; we married at the end of the show 16 years ago in March, as mutual friends were in town to act as witnesses.

Over the years, the group changed, the show started to bounce around date-wise, and it became less a “Let’s have our friends over” party and more a “Let’s have everyone who’s connected with the support forums over” affair, and some of them — are asshats. Last night’s attendees were nearly all friends from the beginning of the event: we’ll both have happy memories associated with it, and that’s a good place to stop, I think.

ATAD February 2013

I’m glad it worked out well for you, lucy.
    And that T-shirt and note are worth blubbing over. I have a White Tree window decal myself–if that Tree is not a symbol of hope against all odds, I don’t know what is. :)

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: a cheap plastic hanger. It wasn’t a good decluttering day for me, but at least one thing hit the trashcan.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: An ancient bottle of silicone caulk remover.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Out: the last of the vinyl to the Thrift Shop tomorrow morning. Well, there are still a couple hundred of my favorites left but I have ordered a replacement part for the turntable and hope to listen to and perhaps burn CD’s of some of the remaining LP’s. Those I’ll have to keep.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@gailbon: there are days I have counted taking the recycling bin out of the kitchen and dumping it in the big bin. It was in the house, it is now out of the house, and sometimes you have to take your victories where you find them.

Prof.Clutter, did you shout “But that’s not right!” during certain scenes relating to trees in the films, too? ‘Cause I did, a lot. *grumbles at the Cheaty McCheatypants scene in the extended edition of The Two Towers, “salt” in that box of Sam’s, my pasty white backside*

ATAD February 2013

yes, the LOTR films seemed to have special trouble portraying Gondor. Denethor–really?!?
    The Hobbit movie had some painful scenes, too, (Elves, eagles . . .) but of course I had to see it. and will do the next two years. Sets my teeth on edge, but I can’t ignore the films.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

Shall we speak of the Matter of Faramir? No, let’s not, I’ll drink myself into a trip to the emergency room.

ATAD February 2013

Faramir was one of my favorite characters in the book, so that was pretty painful to watch. At least I got to write a graduate conference paper about Faramir at one point–helped me cope. :)

Katt

ATAD February 2013

lucy–thanks for letting us know how the party went. Glad you’ve uncluttered it :) Oddly enough I was watching Return of the King last night for the zillionth time…I still don’t like how they cast Elrond, and I never will.
    The white tree of Gondor tshirt sounds absolutely lovely. What a thoughtful gift!

ninakk

ATAD February 2013

a stack of books back to the library
    magasine donated to patrons’s cart
    3 books and 4 magasines checked out
    god i’m relieved that i will have to return them within a few weeks! it’s amazing how one’s view changes and my joy when flicking through the decors and design stuff one could buy is even greater because none of it is a permanent dust collector in my home… libraries are a cool invention.

jlw

ATAD February 2013

Yay libraries!!! (I’m a librarian, I might be a tiny bit biased.)

In over the past weekish:
    - new t-shirt
    - 5 books left behind by my visiting parents (intentionally)
    - other random items left by my parents
    - 2 cat figurines, from my parents

Out over the past weekish:
    - 3 of the above books
    - most of the random stuff they left, except the food
    - lots of shredded papers
    - plastic hamper frame
    - 4 magazines
    - several small toiletries used up
    - ripped cloth grocery bag

Lyerin

ATAD February 2013

I finally have one this month!

In addition to getting out all of the trash and recycling yesterday, I gave away 1/2 a case of diapers that no longer worked for our son to someone who could use them for her child. I was glad to get them out of my house (and recycle the box), and I know she can use them. Win-win!

Beth213

ATAD February 2013

Went through the linen chest and Finally decided that keeping sheets that don’t really fit the mattress and were constantly pulling up was stupid.

So OUT:

3 sets of queen sized sheets
    1 afghan – (think I will put this in the pile for the SPCA)

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

Prepped to go out: box of competition supplies for my friend who is an organizer (ribbons, medals, competitor numbers, wristbands, etc).

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@Lyerin: yay for having something!

Katt and Prof.Clutter: have you read this? “People Who’ve Read the Book” has become shorthand in our house for “Wait, what? How is this a better artistic choice? What were they on and how do we avoid ever coming in contact with it?”

DH is blowing my mind, people. Today he started getting ready for the trade show and reached for one of the old speaker shirts (they are button-downs with long sleeves and a fairly discreet logo on them). They’re decent shirts, and even though I pointed out that we could actually go out and BUY shirts in those colors, he asked me to hold them until after the show so that he could wear them. But he said “Wait, that’s not why I’m there. I have client meetings today with prospects for my new job” and took out a regular dress shirt.

So today ALL of the shirts are going away. And he looked at the swag from last night and said “This is all terrible. I think it will be reentering the Great Material Continuum very soon.”

You guys. YOU GUYS. I think I need to check the basement for pods.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Lucy1965, you are right, that may have been the best choice they could make but it just breaks my heart.

Out:
    Cannon 35mm camera
    camcorder
    small leather notebook
    painting I have no place to hang. I hope someone else enjoys it
    doily
    small dish and figurine

britannia

ATAD February 2013

IN: from IKEA, a rocking chair and footstool and a TV stand. All I need to do now is assemble them and move the TV and components.

OUT: my beloved big chair that I have been living in for about 25 years but the upholstery finally split. Down to the garbage room. The matching footstool looks like new however and I’ve put it by my apartment door for sitting on while putting boots on.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out yesterday:

Two string puppets given to my kids by their grandparents. They were really neat, but pretty much all my kids had to do was look at them and the strings would get tangled. The ratio of play time to untangling time was far too low for it to be worth it to keep them.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

@Britannia: Cracked me up when you described -8C as a “good” day. :) Here where I live (in Texas), that would be “too cold to get out of bed” weather!

@lucy1965: LOL – yes, do check the basement for pods!! :D

Outs for Feb. 4-5: I changed my phone service a few months ago, and one of my old phones doesn’t work with the new service. The new service has some kinks to it, so I hesitated throwing out that phone for a while, but it’s time. But what really pains me is I also added to the donation bin a BRAND NEW PHONE that I bought to replace the one I can’t use anymore but never got around to swapping out with the old one before I changed phone service. Maybe if they are both “out,” I can stop feeling guilty about that!

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

@lucy1965 another LOL.

Just had a fit and deleted around 300 messages from my “dance busybodyness” email account. Some of those conversations were annoying enough the first time around, I certainly don’t need to save them.

britannia

ATAD February 2013

@Alice F.: It was -17C the other day, with a windchill of -42C. Now that was a cold day. The wind does make a difference. Yesterday was -11; however, the ice was melting in the street but the wind was bitter.

Looking forward to Spring. Today is I think 6 weeks from the Winter Solstice, which I think is the length of time it takes the Earth to get to be its coldest. It should be ready to warm up any day now.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

Oh, Sky, I do know: it’s because you have such a good and empathetic heart, and that’s not a weakness. I’ve been doing feral rescue for 12 years, and I’ve seen the community go from “catch ‘em and kill ‘em” to city-wide adoption of TNR principles and “community cats” ordinances (driven by the people who work in Animal Control!), and municipal shelters achieving “no-kill” status, and it happened because people like you gave a damn and said as much.

But it still hurts, and I’m sorry that you’re hurting.

OUT: bag of shirts and other tacky cheap nasty stuff. *does a dance* And a bunch of party leftovers to DS and DSP, who are excellent at managing their budget but will never turn down free food.

IN: vodka for limoncello, vodka for drinking (much smaller bottle), and lysine treats for the youngest cat, who has decided these are the best things ever and I’ll actually get a therapeutic dosage into the brat for the first time in months.

ATAD February 2013

Brrrr . . . Britannia, I shiver just thinking about it.

Two final outs today.

A good friend took the spiral labyrinth incense burner to use with her meditation group — she was so excited! I’m glad I decided to release it.

Went downstairs to check with the anti domestic violence group that offices with us to see if they could tell me where to drop off the old android phone to be re-programmed to make 911 calls for domestic abuse survivors. They took it themselves! So glad I asked before running all over town.

Katt

ATAD February 2013

lucy–thank you so much for that link, it was hilarious lunch time reading. The perfect thing for a crappy day at work.
    And yes, do check the basement for pods. Three cheers for your DH boldly uncluttering!

@AliceF, I just took an entire bag of phone things to the thrift store Saturday. I am not sure I used many of them… At least it is out of the house & on to a new life.

Out: 8 or so kitchen utensils I never use that were cluttering up a drawer. Three storage boxes for jewelry that look beautiful but tarnish silver at light speed.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: an old makeup bag and tube of lip balm that I HATED. I started wasting time, trying to figure out why I kept something that made my lips feel awful, then decided to just move on and declutter something else. Found two pairs of gorgeous shoes that hurt, hurt, HURT just putting them on my feet for one minute. Away they go….

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Accountability is good!
    Out: an extra whisk and a suit to the thrift store along with the LP’s mentioned above. And a hotel bottle of lotion was used up.

ATAD February 2013

@lucy1965: Thanks for the fun read!

OUT:
    - Scrabble game with missing pieces (saved for a craft project once, I think)
    - 1 book

IN:
    a pot of purple tulips. Wasn’t going to buy more flowers, but these caught my eye at farmer’s market.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: 1 book.

In: Exercise bike.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:

Another make-your-own kaleidoscope kit given to my daughter. I think I donated the other one she had last week.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

@Lucy – looking for pods!! *giggles*

I reorganised my books bc I realised that as long as I have a half full bag I will feel like “I can buy more books bc the bag isn’t full” so I moved them all to a much smaller bag. Now I have 7 books that won’t fit which is a good incentive to read 7 books and get rid of them! Yup, I play mind games with myself. Haha. So my out: Large storage bag! (already had two spares for my upcoming move and I think that’s enough) Storage solutions are my absolute fav thing to get rid of – they are the best proof that I am actually moving forward. :)

Also went through my receipts and after calling the pharmacy when they open I can recycle 80% of them. Woho!

ninakk

ATAD February 2013

a bunch of vitamins are a bit past their due date so decluttered some with the breakfast
    a magasine to recycling
    had to change a lightbulb the other day and found two dead lightbulbs among the half-used ones; trashed

djk

ATAD February 2013

When I was being all lil miss fix-it with my droopy shelf yesterday, I ended up sorting, organising, and thinning out our two tool “boxes” (trays?) one of which we inherited with the place. They were a chaotic mess but I ignored them because they’re each about 4″ deep and they slide under our closet system and I don’t have to look at them. But then I was YouTubing (neologism of the day) “how clean is your house” and watched some episodes while sorting screws and anchors and nails by size into all those baby food jars I’ve saved. The tool trays look fantastic and everything is pretty much as good as I could hope for! Since one of the trays is a wooden crate, the kind that mandarin oranges come in, stuff was falling through the gaps so I pulled my silpat out of the garbage where I’d just put it (really, that was a totally useless purchase for me. YMMV) and used the silpat to line the bottom of the tool tray. Fits perfectly.
    While I was at it I tossed a bunch of stuff which was broken/dried out/useless

britannia

ATAD February 2013

IN: a DVD. This will be the last thing I buy this month because of the insane amount I spent over last month to date and because Income Taxes and Property Taxes and Insurance and my Trip Final Payment are coming due very shortly. Argh!

PEEPed: moved the footstool that went with the beloved chair I put in the Garbage Room to the Landing Strip.

OUT: stool formally in the Landing Strip, 2 framed photos and a humidifier to Salvation Army; 30 books to Community Centre for their book sale.

Lyerin

ATAD February 2013

Out yesterday: a huge pile of junk mail. I sorted through all the mail that had piled up (a huge weakness for me), recycled the magazines, organized the bills/tax documents and tossed all of the junk mail. I also put our new health insurance cards in my wallet and got rid of the old ones right away. Small steps, but every little bit counts.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: an old sake set, a broken plant spike, and a handmade decorative thinggie from a baby shower. I am not sure whose baby shower it was from, but I find no joy in holding onto it.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

So sorry for “cluttering” up the boards with my multiple posts, but I’m on a tossing out roll, lol!
    Out: two candles, two candleholders, & a weird, paper-mache ghost that looks like it was formed over a cone shaped toilet paper roll. It kind of looks like a tree-topper, but I cannot imagine someone putting a ghost on top of a Christmas tree?…

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Outs for Feb. 6:

- This is more of a PEEP, but it was a small ordeal, so I’m counting it anyway – found spaces in my closet for the boxes my new computer came in last fall. I was tempted to just toss them, but I’m planning to move within the next year, and I think they may come in handy.
    - Also added a dry cleaning bag to the recycling and got a bunch of recycling out and into my car trunk for the next trip to the recycling bin.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

So far this month has mostly been packing, or stuff “in” for the new apartment; finally had a couple Outs for today: dropped off 2 returns to UPS to send back some things that I didn’t like.

Tomorrow should be the last, big push to get packed and hopefully I’ll do some purging as well.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

*facepalms*

Back IN: the whiskey I gave to my travel-plagued friend, plus the glasses. He said he’d been so exhausted/busy he hadn’t time to appreciate it properly, and that was an unkind thing to do to a good single malt. I can’t GIVE Bushmills away! I am cursed!

More IN: a stinky candle from his wife (why are people giving me stinky candles? That’s two in two months! Are they trying to tell me something?), and two more T-shirts.

About to go OUT: a vase I found for her at the consignment store, and one of the pint glasses from the pub for him.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - a paper lunch bag I filled to the brim with stuff to be recycled (from my junk drawer, which had escaped notice in the January home cure). The littlest things take the longest to unclutter, don’t they?
    - 1 folder of papers, returned to a professor
    - some digital clutter, purged from my laptop during a (too) long talk.

IN:
    - 3 more library books (the cycle never ends)
    - materials for an extra task for a conference here this weekend (from which I almost escaped)

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    one old toque whose ear flaps braided pom pom thingies fell last year, and now the ear flaps keep rolling up and not doing their job of keeping my ears warm. Not fun in -30C

In
    - new and warm fleece-lined toque

Keeping in the spirit of one in, one out !

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: 2 too-small bag clips.

Also moved an old dishtowel to the cleaning rag supply.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today –

- 2 wood projects, made in kindergarten by each of my kids who are now in the 1st and 3rd grades
    - Christmas book that will probably be too young for my kids next year
    - Unnecessary plastic envelope that came with a child’s stationary kit

Bonus – while I was in the basement looking for my ATAD, I found our missing stapler. The sad thing is I had given up looking for it and replaced it last month. I wonder if my daughter’s missing rain jacket I just bought a replacement for will also show up again soon… :(

boxroom

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    - lots of paper from my desk drawer at work.
    I was trying to find something in my desk drawer yesterday, and realised I couldn’t find it because it was so cluttered and totally disorganised! So I spent about 20 minutes sorting it out, and chucked a whole load of papers that I no longer need. Then I reorganised it so I could find things.

In:
    - I emailed the IT helpdesk at work and asked for access to a couple of areas I need on the system. (I’m the junior at work, so was given a basic account to start with.) This makes my job so much easier now, because I can look up specific information instantly, without having to bother someone else. So yeah, not something that takes up space, but it definitely helps me to organise my time at work!

ChiFlower

ATAD February 2013

I could write a whole list of what’s gone out this past week. I made a point to throw stuff out EVERY day, as I had a big bout of motivation to declutter.

But TODAY:

OUT: A pile of old magazines

IN: New sunglasses (first new pair since 2007)

ATAD February 2013

Out, over the last few days-

Recycled- Junk mail, post, empty hairstyling pump thing, two giant but battered cardboard boxes,magazine.
    Book returned to friend. Another 2 tops added to charity bag, will drop off Saturday.
    Given to new colleague – various things with our company logo on that I was given but never used – water bottle, sports bag, mousemat etc. Big space in my desk drawers now..

Joless

ATAD February 2013

Almost a bookshelf-width of lighting catalogues finally out! Plus a few manuals from stuff we don’t own any more and permission to archive a lot of vet records for our dog. Also a jacket to donation, a body warmer to recycling, an old pillow that was trashed by the puppy months ago (why did I still have it???), two pairs of knackered shoes and several cardboard boxes. Pretty good today.

ATAD February 2013

Not in: I had lent my Flip camera to a friend — for quite a long while — and he returned it a few months ago. I decided I could probably use it at our event tonight and set it up to charge last night. Nope. Wouldn’t charge. Not from the computer or from the adapter. I *almost* went to the store to buy a new hand-held blogging camera but thought — wait! I have a very good video camera on my new phone, PLUS an 8 GB SD card — but there’s no tripod mount. I found instructions to hack one from a CD case but called my camera shop — and they sell an adapter mount for less than $20. I’m on my way. Much better to have a mount than another camera . . .

Swede

ATAD February 2013

One photoalbum to be donated and about 75 blurry or duplicate photos in the bin. Now all my photo albums actually fit in the designated box. :)

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Out: one not-very-elastic bandage. I think I can do better–just have to find an area I’m willing to tackle.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Oh dear Lord, so much packing!! I’m so glad I took this afternoon off, otherwise I’d be going crazy tonight and tomorrow morning before the movers get here.

Out so far, as best I can remember:
    *2 sweaters I never wear
    *more random plastic hangers that were hiding
    *a couple not-good wooden hangers (I have plenty of better ones)
    *a set of blue jersey sheets that are WONDERFULLY comfortable but match NOTHING in my room because they’re such a weird shade of blue. I have plenty of other sheets I like just as well, in better colors.
    *2 kitchen mats that don’t match my colors – replaced with a GelPro mat I’ve been dreaming of for YEARS, awesome new kitchen is worth the splurge.
    *a dolphin candle holder that’s been on the fence for a while, when it came time it just wasn’t worth packing (and yet, ironically, I still had to pack it so it doesn’t break in the donation box.)
    *a small glass jar/votive holder that was also on the fence, turns out I like other stuff better (see previous “not worth packing” comment)
    *a swimsuit that may or may not fit, but I haven’t worn in YEARS and it’s ugly
    *a beach robe/cover-up thingy, same deal

There might be more, but it’s all blurring together.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Out for Feb. 7:

- about 10 Xmas cards (boy, does my mantle look bare now – but it was time!)
    - pile of misc. papers

BZB

ATAD February 2013

Good luck with the packing, Meglet!

out this week: sold a 2 drawer file cabinet, a necklace and a baby gate
    donated several books

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    to family members, by request [my sister is driving up]
    - two hair clips
    - six empty boxes that reams of paper come in (retrieved from work)
    - a single five-foot shelf and brackets (had been using for overflow books, now uncluttered)
    - a raincoat
    - jewelry making supplies (pliers, wire, clasps)
    - extra wax paper rolls (I somehow had four packages, just for myself!)
    to campus
    - a small project for this weekend’s conference
    - disposable cups, napkins, plates from my surplus for ditto

LENDING OUT:
    - marble cheese trays and knives for ditto

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: 27 unused Christmas cards into the recycling can. Tomorrow I will recycle the Christmas cards that we received this year. I enjoyed them; now it’s time to let them go.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:

Zippered sweatshirt. It was well loved and is showing it in the wear around the sleeves. Even though I can wear casual dress to work, this one is starting to border on “the clothing that should only be worn when doing home repair” pile.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

In: A box of envelopes.

Out: 2 more books. Much as I’d like to read The Gulag Archipelago, there are about 50 books ahead of it and it’s time to let someone else have a go at it. I can’t see myself studying ancient Greek any time soon either. My fantasy Multilingual Expert is fading fast.

ATAD February 2013

Out: a 4″ stack of large postcards advertising past work events. We do one big mailing every year and I end up with all the extras. I kept enough for the archives. This year we seem to have mailed/handed them ALL out — a total of 5,000 cards — yikes! I might have to order more next year.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Two rebate forms with required proofs. And 45 minutes of my time chatting online about alternative proof of last year’s purchase. They wanted the confirmation email from last February. Why would I have kept that?

Thanks, Alice & Gailbon, for reminding me that the Christmas cards can be tossed (after I read them one more time–something I usually do on New Year’s Day.)

Beth213

ATAD February 2013

Stuff went to Goodwill yesterday before the first “storm of century” for 2013.

Besides previously listed stuff:
    1 Sweater
    2 T-Shirts (bad me, brand new, never brought back because of wrong size – ugh!)
    Quilting frame thingy (don’t know if I already listed that)
    4 packages of christmas cards I am never going to use
    My husband’s HUGE history of art book from college
    My impressionism book I have been hanging on for years
    8 frames

YEAH! And if the power holds out this weekend (please, please, please!!!!) hubby and I will start on the basement.

BACK IN: 4 teacups & saucers of my grandmother’s I guess I wasn’t quite ready to part with, and my Buffy DVD’s :P

For those of you in the blizzard area – stay safe!!!

Swede

ATAD February 2013

Out: One book. That’s all. :)

ATAD February 2013

I am in a conference session now, but I will have a short time at home between the last panel and the dinner.

I will take OUT:
    - my kitchen compost bag and some other greens from the veggie bin. I most unfortunately have not had time this week to prepare the produce I ought to have eaten. So sad to waste food.
    - wind chimes. I have had these for 5 years and the tone is ok, but they had been muted recently because the woody shrubs grew tall enough to silence them. Now I think I’m done with chimes until I have my own place and can get some nice deep (and therefore long) copper ones. Someday.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

We did wind up keeping one bit of swag from the trade show, an engraved metal cup; given the poor turn-out, DS cheekily asked if Former Employer was offering branded pencils to go with it. I offered to do a quick sort of the existing screwdriver/pen cup and threw away four non-refillable pens, put the Sharpies and a couple of pens in the junk drawer near the phone, and set two of the three Cross pens aside for refills. One of them is engraved with the date of DH’s confirmation, but we have no idea where the other two came from.

OUT: five water bottles, two T-shirts, a too-small laptop bag, and a fleece vest.

ninakk

ATAD February 2013

involuntary out: broke a wooden spoon that had lots of life in it still
    recycled a small pile of school papers from the tenth and eleventh grade; why oh why…

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Due to bad weather, everyone was home today, so decluttering was put on hold. I did “declutter” some flour that was getting up there in age, and made a few loaves of homemade bread. I also cleared out the freezer of some leftovers, and made homemade turkey soup. The veggie ends went into the compost bin, so I guess I can use that as my out “thing” for today.

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

out to trash: a pair of saggy socks. discovered to be saggy when walking VERY briskly home from the market in the rain. Yay for rain!

also finally this morning I got all the stuff for goodwill actually into my car. I stopped by the goodwill but could not get to the drop off zone because of construction, so will have to try to go to the other location tomorrow.

wishing luck, power, and warmth to all those in the north-eastern USA from a slightly damp West Coaster

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Sitting in the new apartment, staring at a huge (although not as huge as the last move!) pile of boxes, and a bunch of furniture scattered around in random places.

In:
    *new showerhead installed in the new apartment
    *new silverware tray installed, because the old one didn’t fit the new drawers.

Out:
    *FINALLY the blue flannel sheets. I didn’t realize til I put on the replacements (In earlier this week) just how much I HATED that blue color. So glad to see the end of those
    *Out the wrong way – the second dresser I was going to send to Goodwill, I ended up breaking a drawer support while moving it out of the way.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Cleaning out a “stash and dash” (“guests are coming over, so let’s shove everything in here”) box from the basement.

Recycling:
    - Two of DS’s math workbooks from last year (I really wonder why teachers even send these home)
    - Two kid’s art projects

Garbage
    - Used up “scratch and sketch” book from DD

Donate
    - Hat from a doll already donated
    - Picture frame that belonged to DD. I’m sure she wouldn’t want it donated, but she really doesn’t have a good place to keep it.
    - Sponge to clean a fish tank. I bought the wrong one and never took it back. That and – our fish are dead.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

In: Box of grout; a few extra tiles for the fireplace project; a 1-hole punch.

Giveaway: 2 screwdrivers.

Trash: 2 more tiny bag clips; a plastic clothespin; a hairbrush that has seen better days; and a circular wool thing that was probably a belt loop from a coat I gave away.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

Took out random crap from my hallway to the recycling, binned another 25 photos and deleted 15 more scanned documents bringing my total down to 110. I think I want to go under 100 for scanned documents, it’s just sooo booooring to go through! (It’s pretty much only bank statements and payslips.)

ATAD February 2013

Whilst PEEPing and cleaning:

Out: random cardboard packaging, a brochure, some Christmas cards still hanging around and fabric scraps recycled.

Big bag of plastic bags put aside for supermarket drop-off.

To take to work – some notebooks and writing paper (more likely to use them there), and an Ipad cover to post on the giveaways forum.

jlw

ATAD February 2013

In: 2 t-shirts

Out: shredded papers, lots of random bits of “useful stuff” from a toolbox. (Surprise, they’re not actually useful, or at least not needed here).

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Another accidental out last night: my awesome ceramic frog key rack. Moved it by hand when I grabbed all my keys at the end of the day, then set it down wrong on the counter and broke his head off. :(

Swede

ATAD February 2013

@Meglet – Aww… Won’t glue work for his head?

My outs: A bunch of shredded paper actually out to recycling, small pieces of paperwork actioned and/or filed, two bags of presents to my brother (have been in my hallway for over 2 months), one bag of things requested by a friend (been in my hallway for almost 2 months), 20 more duplicate photos trashed and a small photobox in the donation bin.

In: Larger photobox (still smallish, but bigger than my old one), leggings (I know one of mine has a hole and I can’t be bothered looking for which ones. When I do find them I will bin them).

Not sure: Black nice cardboard storage box. Now empty, but I keep my games in another one just like it and I wonder if I should hold on to it to have a matching set. Can’t find anything to put in it but still reluctant to let go. Is this silly, do I sound like an idiot now?

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

swede you don’t sound silly at all. I often hold onto such items for a little while to ensure I don’t need them (or if I do need them)… if you really don’t need it it will make its way out the door in good time

nothing specific out today, but I made it to goodwill today to drop off the big pile of stuff I put in my car yesterday. little steps.

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out:

- older reference book I bought for 5$ at the flea market. I now have the most recent version (as required for my course). Older version will go to a school friend who doesn’t need the newer (and pricier) version.

- waterproof storage case. Sold on eBay

ATAD February 2013

OUT today:
    - 10 articles I culled from my archives for a grad student who came to our conference (mentioned on paper thread)
    - another pile of loose paper research clutter (~1″ tall)
    - 2″ binder
    - serving dish returned to a friend

jlw

ATAD February 2013

In: birthday presents for DH, resistance band

Out: papers, unraveling cat bed, combination lock, packaging

ATAD February 2013

Out, in various ways: (1) Hung a ceramic sun and moon plaque on a garden fence, peeking out from an opening in the hedge. Looks lovely! It’s been stuck in a corner since I took it down when we had the house painted in August. (2) Tossed another sun plaque thing made of some oddly fragile material. Two rays had broken off. (3) There was a moon, too, of course — and it’s been cleaned up and put into the goodwill pile.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

@Swede, sadly his head and his arm broke in multiple pieces. He wasn’t actually that great a key rack, but he was an awesome frog. :D As for the storage bin, not silly at all to hang on to it for a while. If you like it well enough to have a matched set, I wouldn’t be surprised if you find it to be a good replacement for some other storage thing you don’t like enough.

Out today:
    *2-drawer oak file cabinet. It worked OK for my files, but did NOT match my decor, and just didn’t fit properly in the new apartment. Will be spending my dinner break (break from unpacking) searching for file boxes or something to replace it. In the meantime, at least my files are neatly packed and the packing boxes can be stacked by the desk (when I find them!!!)

sleepykitten

ATAD February 2013

@Meglet – I am a bit jealous of your move. I know moving can be a PITA, but it is such a great opportunity to (re)evaluate everything!

DH and I came up with 7 items today (all small) to go out plus some papers.

ATAD February 2013

yay! I’m done with that conference.
    IN:
    red gladiolus left from that conference. :)

Also, after a comedy of errors spanning three weeks, I have finally gotten the other lampshade for my living room (mentioned during Jan home cure).
    out with the damaged old and in with the new shade!

too exhausted to do laundry now, but so glad I did the rest of my weekly cleaning this morning, before the 9 am conference. I’ll just savor my tidy living room, hot tea, and candlelight, and head to bed shortly.

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

1″ worth of paper with personal info, in the bag waiting for my mom to go back to her office (after next week) and reunited with her industrial size paper shredder. I already did half of my pile with our shredder at home, but the damn thing keep overheating. Maybe if I didn’t do it once a year it wouldn’t be such an hassle.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

IN: an unexpected coffee mug, from a friend visiting from Germany. We had a lovely sushi dinner (hooray for the new contract: between this and two rounds of car repairs, our poor credit card is crying) and then surprise! Mug with a cat on it!

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

@sleepykitten – LOL, I was hoping to make much better use of moving as a re-evaluating tool, it just didn’t work out that way because I ended up too crunched for time. And on the flip side – I have a cute chair, and a really cool glass 5-tier shelf which I really like, and at this point I don’t have a good place for either one of them in the new apartment. I’m really hoping to make space because I’d hate to get rid of either one – they’re both functional and pretty and useful.

More outs:
    *2 binders of class notes left over from high school or college science classes. I hated science, don’t know why I kept these. Recycle and garbage
    *Smaller binder full of entirely blank pages. Sigh. Donating
    *Small wooden box that had some loose photos. Put the photos in one of the other photo boxes I like better, bye-bye wooden box.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

In: Gear for my home gym — An exercise band, 2 dumbbell bars, and a roll-up mat.

Trash: 2 old door hinges; some workshop scraps.

Giveaway: The “bookopalypse” continues, and I let go of 3 more books today. If I need 100 handy guitar tips I’ll probably look for them online; I’m really not all that interested in reading Plato right now; and I’m definitely not going to be running a Dragonlance-themed Dungeons and Dragons campaign in the foreseeable future and don’t need the manual.

And I still haven’t dealt with the weird part of my library yet…

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:
    - Party Lite Change-o-Luminary: It was nice and had different panels for the winter seasons. However, I don’t like lighting candles, and we don’t have much flat space for decorative items.
    - Baseball cap from my college: I usually only wear baseball caps to games, and I have another one from our local sports team.
    - Furniture corner protectors: My kids are old enough that they don’t randomly bonk their heads on furniture corners.
    - Scratch pencils from books that were used up and out themselves.
    - Bag of random colorful feathers my MIL bought years ago to try to keep my daughter from picking up real (i.e. dirty) feathers
    - Two more ratty pairs of jeans found in the basement.
    - Pin that just found it’s way in after a field trip on Friday. My kids agreed it could be on it’s way out today.
    - Random pieces picked up from desk and art area put into garbage and recycling.

djk

ATAD February 2013

Lol Astreja, I’m looking forward to the weird part

simple outs:
    Book in on Friday, read and put in donation basket Saturday
    Pot lid extension rack. Keep trying to find other uses for it as it’s the type of item which seems to be useful but actually isn’t, really

ATAD February 2013

Spent a productive hour in the back bedroom as part of the Paper Cure but also discovered-

Pair of very old glasses, need to drop off at recycling point
    Plastic folder and more nice-but-unused notebooks to take to work to use there
    Odds and ends from a craft kit, various bits binned or recycled
    Tissue paper packaging, put for recycling

Plus added to charity donation bag – teapot and cup/saucer set, 2 ornaments and a china mug. These were all from the boxes passed on from family when my Nan died last year. I have other (much nicer) things that remind me of her, so I can let these go.

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Out: non-functioning alarm clock, random kitchen utensils (whisks, extra meat thermometer and such), two bags of miscellaneous garbage, and several bags worth of signed hardcover first editions, some I’m selling to raise money for a friend, some I’m giving away to another friend.

In: functioning alarm clock, two bowls for work

I figured out how to use my cell phone as an alarm clock, but I need a clock in the bedroom anyway.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Out: a ham. Having the family over for dinner this afternoon. I picked up some consumable souvenirs for the grandkids on a trip last month. They will be delighted to take them home.

ATAD February 2013

Had another hour in the back bedroom, this time rearranging stuff and storing things taken from downstairs to create more room down there. Not so much got rid of, but the space is much more functional now.

Out: handful of receipts for shredding, some papers, two battered gift bags and three flattened cardboard boxes put for recycling.

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

Out: three odd cleaning tools found during a toss of the cabinet under the kitchen sink. They were still in original packaging … where did they come from? These, into the Goodwill bag.

Out: half-dozen bits and pieces of cleaning stuff from under the sink.

Out: three coral bells from the patio garden. Hummingbirds didn’t like them as well as fuschias, so this year’s summer plants will be fuschias.

Out: ancient and decrepit cat furniture from the patio.

In: new improved cat furniture for the patio.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Outs for Feb. 8-10:

Finally did a long-overdue purse cleanout and tossed, shredded or PEEPed a bunch of stuff (mostly receipts).

Sasjanep

ATAD February 2013

Have been a bit MIA for a few days, so some ketchup:

Suit skirt
    Matching suit jacket
    Box for organising embroidery thread, (was lurking in a drawer empty, why was it still there?)
    Another folder (they must be breeding in a cupboard, i have no idea where they are all coming from)
    Cardboard ring binder into the recycling

Some papers into the recycling
    Other papers peeped

Some big cardboard amazon boxes to the recycling centre along with a shower caddy (replaced), an old duvet into the fabric recycling.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: shredded some old paycheck stubs, and put them into the paper recycling bin. I am eyeing a small filing cabinet that could use a good purge tonight.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Buncha stuff out in the last pile of random little stuff left behind in the old apartment.

Donated:
    *2 fans
    *4 pairs of drapes
    *4 sets of drapery rods
    *extra shower caddy (from having a 2nd bathroom up there)
    *small space heater

Trashed:
    *old shower curtain liner
    *tank-side toilet paper holder that rusted
    *another fan that was really nasty and gross from being in a street-side window
    *scratched up mat from under the litter box (got a better mat for the new apartment)

Probably a few other things I can’t remember now.

Brought down the last of the hand carry items & tools, then gave the old apartment a quick sweep & vacuum and it should be all ready to hand over the keys tomorrow. The very awesome apartment office people have each unit professionally cleaned (and probably re-carpeted) between each tenant so I don’t even have to do any heavy scrubbing!! Yay.

Now I just have another 20 or so boxes to unpack, at least I made a HUGE dent last night by unpacking most of the media – books, CDs, DVDs, etc. And I was smart when I packed them, and packed in such a way that I could just start at the front of the shelf for each type, and quick-unload a box onto it. Hooray for planning ahead! (AKA, a whole buncha packing boxes “out” last night, at least out of the pile and flattened til I can Craigslist them.)

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

More out:
    *Giant plastic cutting board I used as a work surface in the old place, doesn’t fit on the new counter
    *Sweatshirt I never wear
    *A rather disgraceful pair of “house shoes” I never should have kept, but they were handy for walking the 10 steps down the building hallway to the garbage chute.
    *An extra sleep mask that isn’t comfortable for sleeping.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: A multitrack cassette tape (from a multitrack recorder I no longer own) with a skit that I wrote for a science fiction convention back in 1999. (I think there’s a digital version of it somewhere in my computer backups, anyway.)

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:
    - Mug returned to MIL.
    - Art projects and returned homework: I was clipping up another one of DS’s art projects and everything else under that clip fell down. I took the opportunity to recycle some and put some away in the memory box.
    - 2 generic spray bottles: I have no idea what was in them before, so I don’t feel comfortable using them again.
    - Camp folding shovel: Not sure if this was ours, or left by someone else. In either regard, we don’t need it.

ATAD February 2013

out:
    - a pair of black dress shoes. (needed yet more repair, and I never liked the chunky heel)
    - from the fridge, some last-chance veggies into a smoothie and a stir-fry

britannia

ATAD February 2013

Postponed OUT: The folding stool & two frames reported previously as “OUT” are still here because it proved too difficult to carry them along with the humidifier. Have been trying to get back to the Salvation Army and the Community Centre but the weather has been against me – either too cold (-13C plus wind chill factor), too windy (winds gusting 30 mph), too snowy (snow, heavy at times). Tried today but then it started to snow horizontally. I know we need winter if we don’t want a drought next summer but enough is enough. ARGH!!!!!!

Beth213

ATAD February 2013

Got stuff done despite the weather (and we never lost power yee-haa!)Actually had a productive few hours in the basement before it just got to cold, but hubby was good and went through his stuff. (ok I had to sit there and watch him go through stuff to make sure he wasn’t keeping crap, but still, he didn’t get to huffed about it :)

Out:
    Boxes of paperwork and equipment that my husband realized he needs to bring back to work to give to others – THANK GOD that was a ton of stuff!!!!!

Goodwill:
    4 fishing rods
    books
    Old printer
    coffee mugs (did I say that he doesn’t even drink coffee or tea???)
    my mother’s old suitcase

PEEP’d
    Frames
    Paperwork he wanted to keep
    various bits and bobs that shouldn’t be in a bin in the basement, never seeing the light of day!

Trashed:
    Tons of paperwork and calendars
    broken frames
    non working computer speakers

Gained:
    Three empty bins and a ton of space around the weight bench we now may actually use!! Happy Day! It’s a great start!

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

Out: almost 2 gigabytes of photos, music etc from the laptop. If I keep this up, my photo directories will actually start to make sense.

britannia

ATAD February 2013

OUT: Took 11 books down to the Garbage Room and left them on the table there. Most likely the Super will put them in the Paper Recycling Bin.

ATAD February 2013

Energy use monitor added to ‘electrical things to recycle/exchange’ bag and the cardboard packaging put for recycling.

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Out: dead VCR, ancient printer, art supplies too trashed to give away

12 boxes of books. My friend who runs a bookshop came to my house, and we loaded up her van.

There’s probably enough for another 12 boxes…sigh. Well, it’s progress. The biggest surprise to me is how much I’m enjoying the extra space in my living room. I truly feel like a weight has been rolled away.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Outs for Feb. 11:

- a small stack of papers. Will the paper ever end?? It feels more satisfying to get rid of other things, but the papers are what I have more of than anything else. Ran a small stack of things through the shredder too.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Giveaway: Pair of blue jeans that don’t fit well despite allegedly being my size.

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

MY FAT PANTS! I’ve been watching my intake, jogging regularly, and just overall doing quite well…and my fat pants are now three sizes too large for me! Taking them to goodwill in a few mintues. *Dance*

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Congrats, ceduke!!! :)

Ella

ATAD February 2013

WOO-HOOOOO!!! Way to go, ceduke!!!

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Way to go, ceduke!!

Out:
    file box
    pair of shoes
    2 thimbles
    egg slicer

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out:

1x DVD, exchanged for a 5$ rebate on the new James Bond blu-ray (one in one out). I rarely buy movies. I prefer to watch them at the theater, rent them or wait until they play on cable. Except for James Bond. Because I’ve watched each movies at least fifty times each (I’m not kidding) so it make more sense to buy then rent :D !

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Wooooooo, congrats ceduke!

Today was a rather nasty day, made the inevitable first Target trip after my move – I’m pretty sure I heard my Visa crying on the way out.

In:
    *3 underbed storage boxes for spare linens (these replace the broken dresser from a few days ago)
    *2 shower curtains to possibly be used as curtains for the hall closet – it’s between these and another pair, going to have to put them up to decide then return whichever set doesn’t work.
    *Bunch of 3M picture hanging strips in large & medium
    *Pack of plastic hangers, since I’m using those for my not-work clothes, and the good wooden hangers for work clothes
    *cute small makeup case to use as a travel tea case – been looking for one of these for a while! Holds my travel mug, tea filter, and 3 tins of loose tea :)
    *some general household refill stuff I’d been putting off – giant pack of TP, 6 boxes of Kleenex, shampoo, conditioner, snacks
    *Yet another new cat litter box, needed a covered corner box for where it sits in the new apartment

Out – not nearly enough to account for that Target trip!
    *the old cat litter box
    *old toilet seat – finally got the new one on, I like to put a new one on when I move in
    *Old, not-cute makeup kit I was using for a travel tea case
    *Dropped off ALL the previous donations (not including today’s) at Goodwill, my small SUV was completely packed, all the way up to the front seat.

Not in:
    a metal shelf with towel bar to go over the toilet. I need something to hang somewhere for hand towels, and that would have worked, but I don’t need to be grabbing the very first one that catches my eye! Plus no way I would get it put together and installed anytime this week, so it would have just been one more thing to sit in the way. Still searching and something of the sort will be “In” eventually.

ATAD February 2013

oh, good for you with the travel tea case. I have to leave my loose tea at home, and I keep a few tea bags in the pocket of my bag.

and if your visa card was crying today, mine is sulking because I just made a payment, gave it a scolding, and put it away. :)

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today: Fabric saved from a (old fashioned print) Winnie the Pooh umbrella. I honestly LOVED that umbrella. It was given to me by a long time family friend when I moved to a rainy place. The button to put up the umbrella had become impossible to push over the years. Combined with one too many windy rainy days, the now bent umbrella was really unusable. So I cut off the fabric to use for ? The ‘question mark’ is the problem, and since that fabric’s destiny has been been a ‘question mark’ for probably two years now, I need to let it go.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@ceduke – Way to go! :) The most exciting things to donate are clothes that have become too big for me!

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: a candle topper and an old tablecloth.

ATAD February 2013

sharonus, I wish someone would give me an umbrella like that! I would certainly have saved the fabric too, for “?”–good for you for uncluttering it eventually.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@ceduke: WOOOOOOOO!!!

OUT: a faux Moleskine notebook

My *expletive deleted* BACK, this morning, while moving a SKILLET. I am currently in bed, cursing a blue streak, with the heating pad and anti-inflammatories and tea; DH put all three cats on the bed and told them to keep me here. Youngest Cat brought me his toy mouse.

Ella

ATAD February 2013

Oh lucy, what a sweet little cat. I hope all these remedies are working their magic.

Out from today’s sick day:
    - 4 magazines, read cover to cover, what luxury
    - 1 box of extra-soft “cool touch” kleenex, also a luxury
    - a goodly portion of the tea stash

I’m feeling better.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

@lucy, hope you feel better soon. @Ella, glad to hear you’re improving.

Outs for Feb. 12:

- a couple of Christmas votive candles and some small Xmas toys from a well-meaning coworker, into the donation bag.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out to the recycling bin at the home improvement centre: Cordless drill battery that no longer holds a charge.

In: Oak trim for a replacement step I’m about to build (Have to make the bottom step deeper to make room for a bifold door to restrict access to the 3rd floor. The cats are going to be maaaad…).

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

Pair of boots that has been in the closet waiting to be re-heeled for over a year, in the trash. Obviously it wasn’t that important to me to get them fixed. *chuckle*

ATAD February 2013

OUT (FINISHED) today:
    - the last of some nice cheese and the brownies and sweets–before Lent! :)

- three phone calls that have been on my list for over a month for no reason.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@Prof.Clutter – Thanks! :)

Out today – Cheer Bear (Care Bears) Christmas ornament. It was too heavy for the tree, and we don’t have many flat surfaces on which to display it. Especially at Christmas time!

ATAD February 2013

Out yesterday- decluttered a work project I was fed up with to a (keener) colleague, plus added some more battered moving boxes to the recycling, before it was all taken away.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Out yesterday: A CD and a movie that triggered the “?????” response when unpacking them.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@Ella and Alice: thank you both for the good wishes! I was able to walk to the general store for dishwasher tablets today, so I am slowly improving. The Gray Elder Statescat is in my lap making sure I don’t overdo it.

britannia

ATAD February 2013

OUT: 28 books and 13 DVDs to the community centre book sale.

IN: two books (to be taken on my travels) and a bookmark. Yes, I know I said this would be a no-buy February. My head hangs in shame. (But I’m still ahead on the OUTs over the INs.)

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: a tart pan and a pie bird, both of which I had forgotten I owned.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Kudos to you Britannia!
    Now I hang my head in shame. My only out for today was a pencil with no eraser. I vow to do better tomorrow.

ATAD February 2013

Out: 2 magazines, passed onto a friend. And a big pile of leftovers in the fridge magicked into a dinner!

ninakk

ATAD February 2013

Out: 2 magasines to be donated; will stop by the library tomorrow

britannia

ATAD February 2013

Gailbon: have you noticed that erasers don’t erase anymore? They just leave a dark streaky blob where the writing was. In the good old days, erasers actually erased the writing and left an almost pristine page.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

IN: my new red teapot, yippie!

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

I officially have *too much* kitchen stuff. 7.5 moving boxes worth of kitchen stuff that doesn’t fit in the kitchen! (In my defense, I can’t even fit my plates/bowls/glasses in my kitchen, because there’s hardly any cabinets. But still.)

In today:
    *new dishdrainer tray, so the drainer fits on the counter better
    *Roku streaming player!

Out:
    *tablecloth that doesn’t match my colors
    *6 more moving boxes, which was the BIG portion of boxes left to unpack
    *A ridiculously huge box of recycling, mostly packing paper and moving boxes in bad shape.

In and right back out:
    *What was SUPPOSED to be a small fan for my nightstand, which is not small at all, and very noisy. Returning it and ordering a 2nd of the same style I have at the office, which I know is small and quiet. Sigh.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Outs for Feb. 13:

- another small stack of misc. paper items. *&^%$ you, paper! (Excuse my French, please.)

ATAD February 2013

OUT today:

- a grant application for next fall quarter. Meaning that I also had to plan my life in detail for the next year or so, with or without funding. As it happens, I prefer with. :)

- exactly 2.35 lbs of paper to be shredded at Staples. Mentioned on the paper cure thread a couple of days ago, but actually OUT today. (first time shredding there is free, fwiw!)

- returned an outfit someone else bought for me. I’ve gained weight, but that was still big.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

*cracks knuckles and heads over to the surreal part of the bookcase* Right; that’s it. No more Ms. Nice Guy.

Giveaway: 5 books from the “definitely off the beaten track” part of the library — A how-to chapbook on kundalini yoga, the book Real Magic by Isaac Bonewits, Psychic Self-Defense by Dion Fortune, and 2 books by Wilhelm Reich.

And now that the worst of the weird is gone, my Richard Feynman book has stopped giggling nervously. :-D

Katt

ATAD February 2013

*cackles wildly* ah Astreja I’m so glad the Richard Feynman book can rest a bit more peacefully now :)

Out: falling apart sports bag, dead workout shoes, and three scarves that don’t suit me anymore.

In: new sports bag, new shoes

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out : sent a 1″ binder to the trash, after it ripped apart in the middle of my exam (second time in two semester). Another item down from the gigantic stash of school supplies !

bandicoot

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    a bunch of digital clutter.
    music, photos, books.

Ella

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - 2 more magazines

IN & OUT:
    - 2 more boxes of kleenex

IN:
    - 2 cold sores :(

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

oh ella I hope you feel better soon

Normally I don’t count paper/recycling items but I cleaned out a whole file drawer of work papers today so I think that should count by sheer volume alone

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Dropped off: 1 box of giveaways, plus a bag of shirts my mom wanted to unclutter.

Tasks uncluttered: Dropped off Board of Directors ballot for a gas co-op I belong to; downloaded and installed tax software for the 2012 taxation year.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

I’m de organising at home! Getting rid of a storage box with lots of compartments. Just stuck the contents in two smallish zip locks. It’s mainly craft materials so they should be used up and the zip locks kan be re used for other things. Zip locks might not be pretty, but not as heavy as a sturdy plastic box. And the “ugly” solution might motivate me to do stuff with the materials. :)

Binned about 100 blurry photos or pics of people I can no longer remember the names of (ex boyfriends friends). I never thought I’d get rid of photos, they always seemed holy to me. It’s not bad memories, the pics I binned just mean nothing to me. And it feels good to purge. I need to shuffle pictures in the albums to fill the gaps and I think this will lead to one more album out… I’m very excited about this as I started with 10 large photo albums and man are they HEAVY.

Left a magazine at a cafe. Now my “stash” is down to 1.

Oh, and I started uncluttering at work. I’m new so I don’t want to cause any problems but put all the surplus stationary back in the stationary cabinet, put away the christmas decorations that were taken down but just lying on a table, put all the paper reams in a neat pile and threw out a bunch of old food left in the archive cabinet (I work in the finance dept… not a kitchen. There should not be any food where we keep the vendor invoices from 2011. lol). Ah. So much nicer. As an unclutterer I simply couldn’t help myself. ;)

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Bravo Swede !

Uncluttered an now-empty disposable scotch tape dispenser (the kind that are made in such a way that you cannot refill them)

So, another item uncluttered from the never-ending stash of school/office supplies.

ATAD February 2013

Great work with the photos, Swede! I need to sort mine, too.

Out today – handed over another project to a colleague ;-) which is great news. This meant I could delete about 100.emails and get another (streamlined!) folder off my desk.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

Hooray for Swede!

I don’t have anything today, but a friend just put up a photo of a thrift store run and I needed to run in here and hide: her cart is heaped half again as high as the cart’s height, and there are outfits on hangers clipped to the pushbar.

Someone hold me?

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: a pocketbook that I absolutely loved, but I tore the liner, and it was not worth the cost to have it replaced. Out it went…
    More outs: some empty shoe boxes and broken hangers that were in my daughter’s closet. I am slowly trying to teach her to purge, but the avalanche (not exaggerating) that fell on my head when I went to put something back that I borrowed was enough to set me off.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

In yesterday: the new CD storage shelf that will give me enough room to re-org my media collections and unpack the last 3 boxes of books. (At least, that’s the theory. :D) Will be replacing an existing shelf (new one is taller) so it should be an even swap.

In today:
    Finally found filing boxes I can stand to have visible, so I can unpack the files from the moving boxes into the file boxes. Yay, 2 more moving boxes gone!

Out today:
    Returned two curtains that I wanted to use for my hall closet, they were beautiful but did not match the art I hung in the hallway. I’d rather replace the curtains than the art. :)

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Out: a couple hotel shampoos used up, some underwear that I wouldn’t want to be wearing if I were in an accident and some deodorant that never worked very well but I kept using it, why??

Ella

ATAD February 2013

OUT: 3 more magazines

IN: Another bottle of cough syrup, which the cashier at Target made me show ID for. Huh??

ATAD February 2013

get well soon, Ella!

OUT today:
    - a leather accordion file that I got new on clearance six years ago and didn’t use because I was “keeping it nice.” I’m glad my colleague has a good use for it.
    - a book for “surviving” grad school.

ATAD February 2013

Ella: cough syrup — or the pseudoephedrine or ephedrinein it — is an ingredient used in making methamphetamine. Hope you start feeling better SOON!

I haven’t had any outs lately except for yard waste — eight big bags so far this week. We’re going to Galveston for the long weekend (three 10K walks planned) but next week my project is going to be the garden shed. I straightened it last week but it’s time to give it a muck out and get rid of some stuff.

britannia

ATAD February 2013

IN: a CD/DVD holder (for 36) which I found downstairs in the Garbage Room’s “share” table. My 6 CDs in it look very sad, but I have some computer CDs to add.

OUT: 4 quilts for the Victims of Violence lady.

ATAD February 2013

Uncluttered various packets and jars in the fridge and cupboard with a hotpotch lunch and a task uncluttered – several loads of laundry done and hanging outside on what feels like the first sunny day of the year!

ATAD February 2013

duplicate post

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Out: about 50 file folders to my neighbor. Her school will erase and reuse them. Another 20 or so were recycled.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Friday’s out: Copy of Moby Dick, which I also have in e-book format.

In: An alto sax! My Inner Crow is rejoicing to finally have the shiny brass thing; the cats are looking at me funny; and my daughter (and her boyfriend, who can hear my sometimes-melodious clarinet tootling over a Skype link) are whimpering.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

In: a new bed!!! I’m so excited, I haven’t had an actual bed frame in about 3 years, and before that it was an Ikea bed I HATED. But this, oh this one is gorgeous – when I realized the bed (aka mattress/box spring on the floor) was going to have to go across the window in the new apartment, I splurged on an upholstered headboard & frame from Pottery Barn. The delivery/assembly people brought it today, and it is GORGEOUS and I LOVE it. It’s like 6:30pm and I just want to go crawl in bed already. (Also, a new flannel fitted sheet for the featherbed, and a bedskirt for the new bed, so I can put boxes of linens underneath.)

Ahem.

Out:
    *2 more spare towels (where do they all come from? I swear they seem to multiply.)
    *a wonderfully warm & toasty fleece blanket that is TOO warm for my room
    *a couple flannel fitted sheets, replaced by the new sheet and the bedskirt (I used one to cover the ugly box spring when I didn’t have a frame.)
    *the spare dresser finally out of the room and into the car to go to Goodwill. I might have counted this one already last weekend and I shouldn’t have, because it’s been sitting in the middle of my bedroom driving me crazy all week. I finally HAD to move it today, so the bed people had room to build the bed.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    7 scarves
    1 skirt
    4 dresses
    5 tops

I don’t know why–I was just doing laundry today and struck by a sudden urge to pull some more things out of my closet. I’ve never had so much room on a closet rod before (when I was younger I had to share, and when I had my own place I had many more clothes until very recently).

Also, I have felt no need to purchase any more (new or used) clothes for this season or next. Maybe a couple of things when I resume teaching next year, we’ll see.

adragon

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    Candleholder – donation box
    Roll of tape – used up
    Old favorite jeans – destroyed during yardwork. I’ve had these for maybe 10 years, they were wonderful, and I kept wearing them after they started falling apart because they had kind of a punk-rock look to them and torn-up legs were OK. But I can’t justify keeping jeans that no longer cover one’s butt.

Soon-to-be-out: orchid pot. The plant is about to bloom so I don’t know if I want to risk repotting now, but the cheap old plastic pot it’s in is cracked and disintegrating and the poor orchid is looking at me like it’s miserable. I probably should go ahead and repot it, if it isn’t happy it’s going to drop its flowers anyway.

In:
    2 books sent by a friend

Tasks uncluttered:
    Gift for friend’s baby shower bought and wrapped; gift for other-friend’s birthday knitted and finished, still needs wrapping.
    Kitchen cleaned, then promptly dirtied up again while cooking.
    Design Portfolio #2 assembled and sent away.
    Windows washed, screens cleaned, cobwebs swept away, dead spiders removed (ew ew ew!), leaves pulled from window wells (yay basements), path lights repaired and repositioned, stairway swept, plants groomed, my portion of yard cleaned and raked. Why the leaves weren’t raked in the fall (before I moved in here), I don’t know.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

More “in” than “out” today:

In: 2 more dumbbell plates and a slightly thicker mat (my thin yoga-style mat isn’t much good for lying-on-side exercises), and some classical CDs (Dvo?ák, Berlioz, and a 13-CD Beethoven box set that has all 9 symphonies, a bunch of overtures, some concertos, and “Egmont,” which I’m currently rehearsing with a community band.

Out: Did some serious kitchen cupboard decluttering. A container of drinking straws got knocked onto the floor and went into the trash, along with an expired tin of mediocre-tasting lentil soup. I also used up some of the duplicate ingredients from when my household and my mom’s household merged. We’re now down to 1 box of cornstarch, have all but finished a surplus bag of icing sugar, and the dried-out figs left over from Yule have morphed into a pudding.

ATAD February 2013

Tackled the bathroom cabinet again (seems to work well as a little-and-often task).

Out: used up two samples, binned some very old shower gel and tinted moisturiser, added bits of plastic and cardboard to recycling.

Not from the bathroom – also added an unused, surplus football/gymball pump into charity pile.

In/out: new protective face masks in, old ones binned – lots of sanding being done at home this weekend. The dust is unbelievable.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

Used up my fav eyebrow pen. Bought a replacement months ago but still squeezed the last bit of colour out of the previous one – it doesn’t fit in the sharpener anymore so time to give up. Binned the stump. :P Left my last magazine at a cafe, my stash is now zero.

Thanks for the encouragement hybrik, Secret Squirrel and Lucy! It inspired me to go through the last of my photos and I am now done! In total I’ve binned about 350 photos and most of them were duplicates or blurry pics. Didn’t know there would be so many but glad they were easy desicions! With this purge I wouldn’t have needed the larger photo box I bought last week, but now I’ve put all my sentimental letters and such in there as well so I guess it’s still good. :) Have a few envelopes of pictures to give to friends who are free to bin them if they don’t want them. Should start purging the digital photos… ugh… At least with physical photos you were limited to 24 or 32 pics per roll!

adragon

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    Sewing pattern
    Hand broom + dustpan, one destroyed during Friday’s yardwork binge and the other old and nonfunctional
    Large kitchen trash can and 2 plant stands, unused in the new apartment and kept for no good reason

Moved to the Bag of Uncertainty:
    Costume piece
    Misc. small sewing items
    Ipod Touch (I have music on my phone and a Nano. I don’t need three players.)

On its way out: big metal washtub that no longer holds water The seam between bottom and sides tore open, and I don’t think it’s worth anything to repair. Don’t want to throw it away but am not getting clear answers about whether my city recycles galvanized steel.

djk

ATAD February 2013

this past week was a l o n g one, and the only thing that kept my head above water was having a mostly uncluttered home with as many simple systems as possible. So I am counting it as a victory simply to have all the laundry done, cat and humans fed, the garbage and recycling out, the table clear, and the bed made. Dusting, floors, grocery shopping and extra cleaning were all ignored. We even ran out of toilet paper because there wasn’t a time when we were free when the shops were open. (and we don’t have any place to store extras of anything)

As it stands, this coming week could go either way…a repeat of last week or a normal week.

I did:
    use up quite a lot of the pantry and freezer scrounging for meals,
    returned books to their owners,
    pulled a 3″ stack of cards out of my collection, to be donated,
    made a decision on a chandelier which I was waffling about (could be a while before it’s actually out the door)
    a birthday gift out to its recipient

ATAD February 2013

Djk, it’s good that your systems helped you over a hectic week. I would see that as a win.

Because I was being lazy this weekend and didn’t leave the house, the cupbards were very much eaten-through, which is good. Also did a quick round of PEEPing this afternoon, and liberated a pile of receipts for shredding and old post for recycling,

Swede

ATAD February 2013

@djk – I wish I lived close by, I would drop off some TP for you when you were busy with life. :)

Out: A Michael Jackson style hat. Really nice but when would I ever wear it? Also hemmed the last pair of pants so uncluttered a to do that has been on my mind for months!

Sky

ATAD February 2013

I have 2 of my Dad’s tool boxes. Both are red, handled types to carry. So I decided to keep the small one for my inside tools and I gave the larger one to my son. He appreciated it.
    Also, I had tools and junk in a plastic shoe box along with the 2 tool boxes.
    So it’s gone too and now I just have 1 small tool box.
    Cleared out a lot of space too.

2 plants that gave up and needed to go. I will not miss them.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: one empty yogurt container to recycling. Thought my husband was going to wrestle me for it because he thought we “needed it for our ground coffee.” I told him we can use the other four that are sitting in the cabinet.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

In: Underlay for the back of the kitchen, and a box of nails.

Out: Several bags of workshop scraps, including some chunks of 2×12 that have been cluttering up the floor for a long time; a small plastic watering can; all the leftover tile bits from the fireplace project.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - 2 pairs of shoes
    - 6# of unbound paper.
    - 2 academic journals.

ATAD February 2013

Added a little-worn jumper to the charity bag.

Two books returned to owner.

sash

ATAD February 2013

This weekend was unbalanced, to say the least
    Out: 2 bras
    In: A new car (The old one is in the throes of death- aka always at the mechanics)

Until I can unclutter my exams (which start Saturday, just got the confirmation that I’ll be sitting them this time) I’m off

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Out: old scratched-up frying pan, stacked another 250 books for my friend to come get in a week or so.

In: new frying pan, 4 new drinking glasses, a set of sheets
    Will be going through the linens and the glassware, but at the moment there’s enough room, those tasks can wait. Found a potential buyer for the nice wooden bookcases.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Trying to make up for the days I was on vacation! Out:

- Long sleeved shirt with mysterious holes near the bottom hem. “I could wear it under another shirt…” no. :)
    - Crayons collected by my kids from restaurants
    - Flip flops that will be too small for my kids come summertime
    - Luggage tag that lost it’s cover at some point when the airline took over control of our bag
    - Pants my daughter decided she didn’t like while we were packing
    - Reusable bag that’s starting to shed it’s plastic covering

Sasjanep

ATAD February 2013

Over the weekend the below went out:

Previously mentioned donations to Oxfam. Added a necklace and a mug that didn’t match anything in the kitchen.

Posted this morning: 2 pairs of boots sold on Ebay.

Went through the recipes folder and recycled a whole chunk I will never make.

IN: an Amazon voucher for the phone I recycled last month. Took for ever to come through, but well worth it!

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

More outs from our trip:
    - 4 magazines (put a small dent in my stash)
    - 1 box of dental floss (also a small dent in my stash). I’m a non flosser, but always seem to try to start again on vacation. Does anyone else do that?

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out:

digital clutter : deleted at least 200 songs from my iTunes library (albums containing only duplicate items, songs/album I don’t really like, etc.)

I came to the realization that I don’t need to keep the whole discography of an artist on iTunes, if I don’t like certain albums. But I’m not still as far as to admit I can delete a song I don’t like out of an album.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@djk: I hope that the uproar isn’t anything too serious!

DS wants the last 6 bottles of homemade apricot wine and the rack holding them; I’ll try and get them and the bag from the pantry clean-out up to them today. And I’ve finally reached the point of being able to let go of the curtains I made for the old house. DH has a terrible cold, so I’m brewing “Throat Coat” tea and making sure there’s tissues and throat lozenges on hand, as tomorrow’s the first day of the new contract and he can’t miss it.

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Update :

I’ve look at my last post, found that I sound extremely silly, and went back to itunes and deleted 5GB worth of songs I didn’t listen to (duplicate, remix, etc.), even if this meant “breaking” an album.

Why ?
    1) I never listen to them anyway (I marked them as “duplicate” in the and they were not included in any of my playlist)
    2) I’ve never listened to a particular album on my ipod (It’s always a playlist, or an artist, never just an album)
    3) I’ve culled my possessions, both digital and physical, so everything as a purpose in life… why should I act differently with music ?
    4) If the need arise and I absolutely want a song back, I still have the physical CD or I can download them again from iTunes. Deleting a song from my itune library is not something written in stone.

Tadam… after nearly 6 years, I’ve finally done it ! Why today ? I don’t know, reading my last post felt like an epiphany. But it sure feels like I’ve remove 5tons from my shoulders.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@hybrik, it’s not silly at all: you’re ready when you’re ready. (Those curtains I mentioned? Downstairs in a Space Bag for 12 years.) It’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it?

Oh, yay, my darling son may have found a home for three pressed-board bookcases I want to get out the door! I knew having him ask his friends would be a good solution. I am also PEEPing like mad today.

djk

ATAD February 2013

Swede, lol, I too wish you could have picked up some tp for us:) fortunately we had tissues:)

Lucy, no crisis, just lots of work, 12-hour days, in addition to social committments which all seemed to happen at once. Since the shops here aren’t open Sundays or evenings it strains our simple routines when we have lots of extra work hours. And I don’t have the wild physical energy I once had, that’s for sure!

glossta1

ATAD February 2013

Trying to get back on track after going away, then coming back to mess and muddle and feeling overwhelmed all over again.

Didn’t manage any ATAD at work today, buit big progress on my diningroom table this evening, which is where I prepare for the next day. Tomorrow evening should see this sorted and back to normal again. Normal isn’t perfect, but at least it isn’t heart-sink.

Ideally I’d manage an ATAD in my bedroom every day too – I’ll try to get at least a small one done there before bed tonight. Problem is, DH often goes to bed while I’m still working down here, so I can’t start PEEPing up there or I’d wake him. I have to stop work earlier if I’m to fit in some upstairs ATAD – good excuse to stop work!

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: two pairs of curtains; a jar candle; seven logoed pint glasses; three DVDs; two sculptured garden plaques; and a marble carving, to Goodwill

I let out a completely involuntary shout of laughter when I drove away from that one — so many bad memories tied up in those things, especially the carving, and I hadn’t been ready to act until now. They’re gone, and I feel such a sense of relief and possibility.

6 bottles of wine, a small wine rack, two packets of soba noodles, one of miso soup, a packet of tea, and some bonito flakes; to DS. The last of my attempts at homebrewing are somewhere they will be appreciated, or palmed off on other impoverished university graduates at parties. *grins*

IN: a cork, for a small antique bottle. I wanted something to store water from the artesian well a few blocks away, but had the worst time finding a cork until the owner of the general store suggested Ace Hardware. 37 cents and a stop at the Well Park later, I have a bottle on my altar and a niggling irritation out of my head.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

(Didn’t need to say it twice!)

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: an old pair of slippers that were so worn down my knees almost knocked together whilst walking in them.
    In: a new pair of slippers that I have to get used to because I became accustomed to wearing the previously mentioned slippers.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: A small chunk of stairway railing (see FATAD); some expired ranch dressing.

chacha1

ATAD February 2013

Out: unloved cement-colored raincoat to Goodwill bag.

In: all-weather PURPLE jacket from REI.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

A framed embroidery I made in 1995(!!). Dropped the bag of stuff off att the charity shop. As soon as I got home I started a new bag, first item in: a plasticy tote bag. Bought it before Thailand but should have just used a plastic bag for my shoes. Oh well. You live and you learn. :)

britannia

ATAD February 2013

OUT: 40 books to community centre book sale
    1 stool (folding) and two framed photos to the salvation Army.

s

ATAD February 2013

Way to go, hybrik!

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: the two smaller bookcases, to a friend of DS’s. She was so excited: she’s been using pieces of drywall on boxes since her move, and I got a hug out of it.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

A HUGE day for Outs! 2 pairs of jeans, 5 pairs of dress pants, 2 shirts, 6 sweatshirts, a dress from 1990(not kidding), 4 “overnight” bags, 2 tote bags, & 3 pj tops, all bagged and ready for donation.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

I’m sure I got rid of something yesterday, but it’s so habitual I’m starting to lose track.

Today – PEEP’d a bunch of kitchen stuff (finally my kitchen counters are almost clear!!!) and in the process I “outed” the following random stuff:
    *8×8 square glass baking dish (never use it, prefer my enameled one)
    *metal trivet
    *cute half-knife fridge magnet I just HAD to have but doesn’t look so cute on my fridge
    *a set of cloth napkins I don’t really like

It’s funny how the same items in one place look like a jumbled mess, but move them to the right place, and they look all cute and neat.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

More OUT: four T-shirts, a fleece vest, and a painted wire-bail jar; to Goodwill

Three batteries (and a couple of quarters to help cover the recycling fee) to the general store on the corner

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: Evicted a container of dried-out Chinese takeout rice from the back of the fridge; tossed out a small chunk of plywood.

mdfloyd

ATAD February 2013

I’m using up bottles of stuff I’ve been “saving” in the bathroom closet, I.e., forgot I had.

Out – finished up bottle of facial cleanser.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - 18 hanging file folders
    - recent charity mailings and catalogs
    - credit card late fee. whew. Just called them to ask if they could waive it–with the holiday this week I’d accidentally missed the payment due date.
    IN:
    - 1 goldfish. Not mine, but my sister’s. I’ve, um, never had an animal here, and I’m not sure how I feel about someone staring me down while I work! ;)

sash

ATAD February 2013

Outs (even though I should be studying):
    a. My facebook account- its been a distraction and addiction. Yes, its deactivated and not yet deleted, but if someone REALLY wants to talk, they know how to get in touch with me. And I like the pictures.
    b. My epubs- again, distracting me from life as I’m indulging in too much escapism not enough studying. I’ve not deleted them, but they’re in a hidden folder in an external hard disc I don’t use more than twice a year (good backup)- maybe I’ll be able to let them all go one day.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Cleaned out my tax-prep instructions and got rid of a few more publications. Went through my computer files and discarded a lot. I am keeping less this year.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out yesterday:
    Pink knitted hand-me-down poncho given to my daughter. When I asked her about it, she replied “I never said I would wear it.” Excuse me for equating a “keep” answer to the “Keep or donate?” question with “I’m actually going to use this thing”!

Lyerin

ATAD February 2013

Out yesterday:

A 12″ thick stack of magazines/catalogs out to the recycling center (I have no idea why I let these build up so much, but it felt good to get rid of it)

Swede

ATAD February 2013

Out: Two books and one large storage bag. Was aiming to get rid of a book a week but now on week 8 I have only given away 5. Time to step up! :)

ATAD February 2013

I was upgraded to a new laptop at work today. As we were having to give in the old ones I deleted numerous files and emails,
    plus deleted all my unwanted bookmarks and contacts. Ah, much better.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - Returned three uni library books–and did not bring back any!
    - the last bit of papers to shred.
    - teaching/professional development materials from previous workshops–given to a colleague just starting to teach her own class.
    - one small gift.

BONUS:
    - free lunch + free snacks because our campus happened to have a food fair today. :) Will eat the snacks this week, so not clutter.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: a fiberglass pole originally purchased for changing light bulbs in our old house, to the trash. DH used it for removing slabs of snow on the lower part of the roof of the addition, and actually managed to break the thing. How? I have no idea, and he seemed quite embarrassed about it.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Out:

vegetable bowl to my china, cracked and chipped
    Grandson’s mug, broken and glued back together
    cracked top to glass refrigerator box
    phone and answering machine
    useless cloth bag without handles

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Just a little bit of “out” today — Cleaned up my e-mail inbox and moved a few to-do items out of e-mail into a folder.

ChiFlower

ATAD February 2013

OUT: A very nice baby blanket that I could not sell (was a gift from Australia, with Aussie animals, I’m in Nz, guess nobody wanted to buy it even though it is very nice, so I donated it to goodwill).

Then, another item that made me upset every time I looked at it. I had tried to drop it off at other trips to goodwill, but every time I got it back out. Kept going back and forth, this time it’s gone for real.

Another small pile of unwanted clothes.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

One more book out! :)

ATAD February 2013

Reduced my work email contacts database by half – about 50 records deleted. Also passed a magazine onto a friend.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: an old, moldy shower curtain liner that no amount of scrubbing could save. And before I could rationalize squirrelling it away to use as a drop cloth, I tossed it. I have ENOUGH drop cloths to cover the floor if I decided to repaint the entire Sistine Chapel.

ATAD February 2013

In the maybe-out pile, a lightweight camera tripod. One of the legs is stuck and it no longer is quite as compact as it needs to be. I ordered a new light tripod and we’ll see how that works. If it’s a keeper, the inadequate one is history.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - one kitchen towel, stained and a stray poly-blend. 100% cotton for me, thanks!
    - one decorative box I used to keep in my office for tea and Potentially Useful Items.
    - most of those Potentially Useful Items. :) Duplicates here.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Made a tiny bit more headway on uncluttering the basement.

Giveaway box: A bag of lag bolts (kept 4, gave away the rest).

Trash: Scrap of plywood. Rest of small wood scraps consolidated in a bag for use as shims. The bag formerly held a few light switches and such, now in the electrical tool box where they belong.

Return to owner, eventually: A film developing tank belonging to an acquaintance, who had loaned it to my friend Red, who at last report didn’t have a use for it as she has her own collection of tanks. All I know is that it shouldn’t be in *my* basement, as I don’t tend to develop film. For now, it’s out on the porch with some other giveaways.

Now pondering what the heck to do with a box of Dremel tool bits, currently in the “Justin Case” category (I do have a Dremel tool and do use it infrequently, and at very least need to put some sort of lid on this box lest everything fall out.)

Swede

ATAD February 2013

… and another book. (not a double post, I finished another one tonight! :))

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Slow week…

1 pair of hole-y sock – trash

ChiFlower

ATAD February 2013

OUT: some old make up, expired medication, old body lotion (Chanel one, but didn’t smell nice anymore), old sunscreen. In fact I found a whole stash of toiletries from my old apartment in a plastic container.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Late night in: First box of floor tiles for the kitchen (Oof! Boxes of tiles are heavy) and a pail of glue.

Out: 2 pieces of dried-out cheese, vintage but not in a good way; another scrap of plywood.

Joless

ATAD February 2013

Out to tip, Hoover which had finally given up the ghost. Bought a new one a few days ago and it’s much lighter and things don’t fall off it when you pick it up, which is a bonus. Also boxes which the dogs food arrived in, and a metal oven tray which had seen much better days.

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out:

- cellphone. Damn thing started to act up lately, like erasing all my contacts, refusing to recognize the memory card, dropping call like crazy. Then yesterday, it shut down on its own, and now refuse to turn on. Tried everything (hard reset, factory restore and even installing a new ROM)

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: worn-out sleep pants and socks of DH’s, to fabric recycling

britannia

ATAD February 2013

IN: some silver polish to brighten up my Aunt Nellie’s christening cup. She was born circa 1905 and died in the 1940s, just before I was born.

OUT: nothing (gasp).

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Almost out: a huge bag of yarn to donate to a local knitting group. I have been mentally preparing myself for the past ten years to begin crocheting again, LOL, but decided if that day actually comes, I can go buy some new yarn.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - necklace
    - a few random St. Patrick’s Day decorations (someone may as well use them, but one ribbon on the doorknocker is all I need this time)
    - a pair of practical black shoes. The soles flaked off this morning while I was wearing them (chunks of material from the edges, the heel and the middle of the sole flaked off as I walked). A Very Strange Experience! I’ll try sending them to the manufacturer with a letter of complaint and see what happens.

IN:
    - a new pair of practical black pumps (suitable for teaching/walking/working). New, as in, the saleswoman found my size in the back–i.e. not Ross, not clearance, not hand-me-down. A splurge, but they are Eminently Useful Shoes and Should Not Flake.

ChiFlower

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - some old receipts and papers
    - lip balm
    - plastic container
    - small toy
    - some toddler clothes to send to a needy friend

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: Pair of sticky socks. (See FATAD)

djk

ATAD February 2013

2 cardigans and a fabric shopping bag to donation bin

djk

ATAD February 2013

Pair of pajamas to fabric recycling.

Another top and pair of jeans to donation bin.

No need to keep things I don’t feel fabulous in

ATAD February 2013

2 bags, contents already posted, dropped off at the charity shop.

Cleaned out the under-sink cupboard in the kitchen: three plastic bottles recycled, numerous tiny bags and bits of rubbish binned and some very old daffodil bulbs added to the compost bin. Some around-the-house PEEPing turned up a some papers, cardboard packaging and a battered giftbag, for recycling.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - 5 knit tops
    - 1 hat
    - 1 bracelet
    - I also tidied my project drawer and spontaneously made a batch of oil/rosewater/beeswax hand cream, thus finishing a bottle of almond oil, one of my bottles of essential oil, and my stash of little jars. I’m giving jars to several friends this weekend and keeping one for my immediate use.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

My dad helped me take down a shelf in the kitchen. Then we went to my dads house and I scanned 20 large photos from my teens. Originals all in the bin! Also recycled a handfull of old sentimental papers while looking for the photos. Gave my dad a construction type ladder – that huge thing is finally OUT of my hallway. Got two nails in return so when I got home I immediately hung two frames. Successful day! :)

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

Four noodle bowls (two with their original spoons), and a small dish, are headed for the OUT box. DH said yesterday that they don’t hold much and get extremely hot, so we should find something that works better. Progress!

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

out: photos. Went through several years’ of never-filed family photos and discarded mediocre ones, duplicates and a lot of Michigan sunsets. They were fun to shoot but after a while, there’s no need to keep them.

liag

ATAD February 2013

I hear the voice of a true, hardened unclutterer there, Northshore. Yea, you!

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Way, way too much stuff in over the last few days, but most of it was on my shopping list for the new apartment, plus I ended up in a sales-tax-free area, instead of my usual 9.5%!!

In:
    *2 new scarves (ok, these weren’t on the list, but I didn’t have any good “spring” scarves)
    *corner shelf for the kitchen counter
    *very tiny pail for bathroom garbage
    *new laptop YAY!

In and right back out, because they just didn’t work for the space:
    *3 absolutely darling painted wood storage bins, which were 1/4″ too wide for the shelf I need them for. :(
    *3 candles and hurricane candle holders, pretty but just not right for the top of the shelf.

Out:
    *The above returns loaded into the car for Monday, along with a couple other returns I’ve been meaning to get around to
    *Fan boxed up and ready to send back to Amazon Monday (bit of a theme here. . . )
    *Almost out – all the donations collected from their scattered piles around the apartment into a single spot by the door, to load into the car tomorrow. I really need to get an Outbox location sorted again.
    *2 garbage cans added to the donation pile, now that I finally have the bathroom and desk cans replaced.

Oh, and cleaned some “vintage” food out of the fridge, then got a nice big delivery of fresh groceries.

Ella

ATAD February 2013

OUT: 2 dead houseplants that I neglected to care for during these sick days. It was them or me, folks. I was too wiped out to even notice their parched plight until too late. R.I.P. :(

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

OUT: Two grocery bags full of miscellany, plus a cat scratcher that none of the kitties liked.

IN: three shallow bowls my hubby has some use for and a wireless mouse for the laptop.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: 6 old underwear.

In: New underwear, socks and sweatpants.

ChiFlower

ATAD February 2013

Still tackling the boxes I took out of storage this weekend, tackled one drawer too.

OUT: old study materials, old moisturising lotion, paper of all descriptions, some electrical/computer type cords, old calendar.

That’s the thing with putting stuff in storage, it really becomes “old” due to the time that’s passed while they were stashed away (8 months for me, so far). I also realised I “collect” hand cremes and moisturising lotion, including hotel toiletries. These do have a shelf life – I should throw them all out and buy new. It doesn’t feel so refreshing using ‘stale’ lotions. :-/ same with old scents.

sash

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    2 exams (out of 12)
    Two Vicks vaporubs
    1 pen

I’ve resolved to start using my pinterest to hold all the bookmarks I make and never revisit. I should go back and start using it now, but I need to unlink it from my facebook (which is still off for the foreseeable future) and go through the links. Projects for later in the month then!

@ChiFlower, if you end up with too many hotel toiletries, donate them! There are shelters that take personal care items, although you may have to do a bit of leg work to find them (or one quick google search).

ATAD February 2013

@Ella, sorry to hear about the demise of the plants, but am happy you survived and are feeling better.

In: a set of three very cute tins for coffee and teas in the kitchen. Possibly the most decorative thing we have bought in a while! A cluttery hoarder-type friend once described our kitchen as ‘barren’, which DH and I still laugh about, so we bought these to fill up all the echoeing space… :-)

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Out: older laptop to a friend whose computer died. A box of nicer books to sell.

Need to corral various odds & ends into a bag and plop them in my car–always nice to get that done.

Sasjanep

ATAD February 2013

Out this weekend:

To the recycling centre
    2 yucky baking sheets, that were ycuky from the first use and no amount of cleaning ever made any difference.
    Broken laptop cable
    Pile of magazines from my father’s pile

To Oxfam
    Bag of previously mentioned bits and bobs.

Sold
    a few DVDs, 2 CDs, Nintendo DS (my sister asked me to get rid of it for her) and a really old iPod which I found lurking in a drawer. Will be picked up by a courier tomorrow so all boxed up and ready to go.

In
    A new laptop cable. Grrrrr.

OnARoll

ATAD February 2013

Got out for a fat-decluttering walk on a crisp spring day, and then tackled the grapevines. Pruned a huge packed barrel of vines, picked up my clutter, wiped the tools down, and moved on. It crossed my mind to save the vines for a crafty relative’s visit, but I resisted that urge. We have actual real projects to do, we’re not undertaking some grapevine wreath tangent. And if we want to bonfire some branches, the woods are full of them.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

Out: A heavy wooden shelf and it’s brackets and screws. My kitchen has so much space now and I won’t ever have to walk in to that sharp corner again. Woho!

In: Five books. I tried GIVING the shelf away but she brought me the books as a gift. Haha. Not exactly “needed” but I guess I should be happy bc they are crime novels by authors I like. But I was sooo proud that I got rid of four books last week. Haha. Oh well. At least the books weigh a lot less than the shelf. :)

ATAD February 2013

Great work Swede.

Nothing much extra out after an afternoon of pottering, just two magazines recycled and some leftovers decluttered… :-)

MichelleOhio

ATAD February 2013

Out today: Four lawn & leaf sized bags of clothing. A few larger stuffed animals. An old stereo receiver. A couple rolling suitcases full of other duffle and travel bags. A beach bag full of knick knacks. Four dart boards. Lava lamp that never worked right. Two purses and a wallet. An over the door shoe organizer that we used for belts, socks, etc.

There was more, but I think that’s enough for this list. :-) Now I just have to drive it to the thrift store.

Oh, and TRASHED today was a bag of clothes that wouldn’t make it at the thrift store and an almost full black trash bag of unmatched, worn, or faded socks. Those socks have been in my way for YEARS.

Sadly, these were just the things cluttering up the floor of one of the bedrooms. There is plenty more to go from closets and cabinets.

Katt

ATAD February 2013

Excellent progress @MichelleOhio!

@Ella, so glad to hear you are feeling better. Sorry about the plants.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@MichelleOhio – Wow! Don’t diminish your accomplishment by thinking about how much more you have to do. Revel in what you have done. All that stuff out – you should be proud! :)

MichelleOhio

ATAD February 2013

Thanks guys. I’m very happy with my day…even got into a closet after I posted and gathered another entire bag. I’m just sad I’m so worn out because I have to stop. ;)

arthelemis

ATAD February 2013

Out:

- dead cellphone (damn thing shut down on it’s own last week, and refuse to turn on… turns out it a common trouble with this model) to Best Buy for recycling.

Task done:

- sent back the too-small wallet I ordered a couple of weeks ago, in exchange for bigger wallet
    - sent swiss army knife for warranty repairs (was ready to throw it out when I found that they have a lifetime warranty)
    - post ad on kijiji and freecyle for dead phone’s accessories (case and screen protector). Hopefully somebody will claim them, if not, down to the goodwill store (with a tag specifying the brand/model they are made for)

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

@MichelleOhio – wow, that is quite a purge, congratulations!

“In” today – I finally put together the new CD storage shelf that has been sitting in my entry closet for a week and a half.

Out today
    *a couple CDs and DVDs snagged while unloading the old shelves, then loading the new shelf and the other shelves that had to move to fit the new shelf in. Sigh
    *A few more paperbacks, in hopes of getting the books to fit on a particular shelf. Didn’t work.
    *a mug rack
    *a couple things I’ve been trying to sell on Craigslist and Amazon for months (and months) – finally got tired of tripping over the box, admitted defeat, and put them in the car with the other donations

Almost out:
    *The 2 CD shelves that were replaced with the new shelf. The new shelf does NOT match the other shelves, but I think I will end up ordering one more like it to replace the other 3 old shelves. So I have to confirm that, get the new shelf in place, and make sure I don’t need one of the old CD shelves to go with it. But the overall result SHOULD end with 2 new shelves in, 5 old shelves out if everything works out as planned. In the meantime, the 2 old shelves are sitting in my way so by the time I have to make the final decision, they will have annoyed me enough that I get rid of them. :D

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Officially now in the giveaways: The film developing tank that’s currently on the porch.

It’s also Garbage Eve and I have lots of room in the garbage bin this week, so before I turn in I’ll probably unclutter a few more scraps of wood and such from the basement and garage.

ATAD February 2013

OUT:
    - 2 CDs
    - 2 shrubs and some groundcover. I’d posted on Craigslist (along with two other plants for $15 total, less if trading avocados, lemons or potted herbs). The woman who came to get them gave me $20 *and* a couple dozen avos and lemons; she did the work of digging them out, and she left two listed plants. Someone else is interested and might come tomorrow for those. I just wanted the plants to find a good home and to have less pruning work for myself as I unclutter the flowerbeds. Everything else was a bonus. :)

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

Grr, I attempted ot unclutter my last five baby snakes today but the guy from craigslist flaked at the last minute. I still got some assorted stuff out, mostly old craft projects, but I was REALLY looking forward to having five fewer mouths to feed!

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Trying to make up for the days I’ve missed. Out today:

- 2 small boxes of crayons, given to my kids at a restaurant (I really need to start carrying my own.)
    - More cheap playing card sleeves
    - Book that my kids refuse to read (Even thought I want to.)
    - Smelly Sharpie (We have plenty. I don’t need to keep the ultra toxic one.)
    - 15 t-shirts from DS (The drawer won’t close, so some had to go. Thankfully, the vast majority of his shirts are hand-me-downs so there isn’t much loyalty to them.)

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Out: lemons bought for fantasy lemon meringue pie used for lemon bars for church coffee hour.
    a couple old software packages and cd’s
    fitness information that I can find online if needed

ATAD February 2013

ceduke: Snakes win the prize. What the contest is I do not know, but snakes win.

irishbell

ATAD February 2013

Ceduke and Susan- lol!
    Are these snakes that were born of pet snakes of yours, or just vagrant, homeless snakes that you’ve been feeding????

ATAD February 2013

Out: full trash bag of shredding for the Paper Cure – trying to get back on track.

Beth213

ATAD February 2013

Out to consignment:

Armoire I used for cd/dvd storage
    Wooden O & K letters I always wanted to hang, but just don’t have a place for them
    Two wall hangings
    Two jewelry boxes
    A wall vase
    Fiestaware

Back in:

Tapestry covered rocking chair – guy at the consignment place said it wouldn’t sell – bummer – will try to sell on Craigslist.

Thrown out:

ALL the carboard boxes left over from x-mas presents and such. God that was alot of crap.
    Broken desk chair
    Tons of recycling (we have got to go more often!!!!)

So glad I FINALLY brought stuff to consignment – will see if anything else can go there.

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

These were snakes that I bred last year. I had a nice waiting list, and a reptile show in my area where I thought they’d all sell, but my snakes had other plans. The clutch was HUGE. I was anticipating 12-15 babies (the average) and I wound up with almost 30. So…I found homes for all but six very quickly, and one later, but these five have been hanging around since September because I wasn’t sure what to do with them. It’s my fault, they aren’t going to sell if I don’t advertise them, so I finally put them up on CL and I’ve had a few bites. They’re a lovely lovely coral pink color, I’m sure they’ll go quickly now that I have pictures up.

Mama snake actually laid a SECOND clutch of 18, but I froze the eggs, not wanting any more babies!

ATAD February 2013

No snakes here :-)

Just a couple of glass jars of spices, washed out and recycled and leftovers from the fridge uncluttered into lunch.

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

out: bottle of rosemary body wash that smells great but irritates my skin

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

OUT: two cardboard boxes, after packing up four plastic bins with miscellaneous bits of DH’s stuff. I think two more sets of three ought to get the last of the cardboard out.

ATAD February 2013

ceduke: Had a few BITES? Ha ha ha. (I really, really dislike snakes . . . ) When I bought a condo in Evanston, IL, the tenant was a grad student in herpetology at Northwestern. The apartment was lined with snake cages — and she had a huge doberman. The real estate agent said I was the first person who actually made it through the front door to look at the place. I got a good deal :)

luxcat

ATAD February 2013

another out: a cheap candle that splattered wax all over my kitchen counter while burning last night

now to declutter the mess. sigh.

ATAD February 2013

OUT (at last!)
    - 3 large envelopes and a parcel–little things to send to friends & acquaintances
    - ALL my random postage stamps predating the last (several) rate increases
    - helped a neighbor with a hugh post-office run & uncluttering effort, too

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: spices that were over 22 years old. When we first moved into our house, my husband and I purchased one of those spice racks that sit on the counter. I had the good common sense to toss the rack, but why, oh, why not the spices??? I washed the jars, and will use them for my herbs that I grow and dry myself.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Fell majorly behind … I will blame it on the curse of Valentine’s Day, one of the most dreaded days on this single person’s calendar. (Day before VDay was the last day I posted something.)

I’m counting a stack of 12 misc. little pieces of paper (mostly receipts) for Feb. 14-25 and will hope for more substantial outs going forward. Sigh.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

Snakes! That’ll teach me to post without reading others’ posts.

Pathetic out: another hotel toiletry bottle.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    8 forks to my everyday flatware. They were the extra large size and I felt like I was eating with a serving fork!
    Sold them on ebay and they are packaged up and are ready to be mailed tomorrow.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Trash: Cardboard box that was sitting on my desk. Sewing materials that it contained have been relocated elsewhere. Also tossed out a half-finished carving and a few small leather scraps, and added a bag of larger leather pieces to the giveaways.

mdfloyd

ATAD February 2013

Out: Three big bags of shredded paper; one five-year-old can of Baker’s Joy spray.

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

OUT: Got DH to bring BIL his four springform pans and two books that have been languishing over here for quite awhile.

IN: Bottle of liniment. Hubby’s back has been bothering him for some time, and while it’s better now than it was he’s still pretty uncomfortable.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:
    - 5 pairs of undies too small for DS

Netleigh

ATAD February 2013

Out, 2 pairs of old walking boots of DH’s, the one new pair came in a month or so ago. One pair he said were never comfortable, the others were going into holes and were comfy and were replaced. He took some persuading that he’d never wear the less comfortable ones and only having two pairs(normal hiking and winter boots that take crampons)at home would suffice. Finally reason prevailed.

MichelleOhio

ATAD February 2013

This morning: two old hanging clothes bags for travel. Does anyone use those anymore?! ;)

britannia

ATAD February 2013

Luxcat: I gather the key to getting rid of candle wax is to ice it until it because hard and then it will lift off. I haven’t tried it, though. You might want to check with Heloise’s housekeeping book or the like.

britannia

ATAD February 2013

OUT to garbage: 10 pens and 2 plastic hemostats

sash

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    4 more exams! I now have only 6 left. And then it will be naptime all the time.

Swede

ATAD February 2013

No snakes… hehe… But about 500 digital photos. Ashamed to admit that most of them were duplicates. :P And one more book in the donation bag.

MichelleOhio

ATAD February 2013

Out: VERY old paperwork that has just been stuffed into a hutch for many years. I think the earliest thing we found was a pay stub from 1983. What has been kept from three big drawers and the secretary area is a handful of pictures and a handful of important mortgage documents.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Big day yesterday.

Out:
    *returned baskets to Fred Meyer
    *returned shower curtain to Target
    *returned bed skirt to Bed, Bath, and Beyond
    *dropped off all previous donations at Goodwill
    *Added a few more books and a couple movies to the new donation pile

In:
    *2 cloth bins to organize bathroom shelf
    *2 hangars with holes for scarves
    *smaller travel toiletry bag
    *small woven basket (also for bathroom shelf)
    *1 more under-bed box, so I can finally unpack one of the last 2 moving boxes into it.

Decision made:
    figured out what to do about the media shelving – new shelf on order, 2 old shelves on the chopping block, and 3 current shelves to be replaced with the new shelf. Really hope I counted DVDs properly to estimate what size that new shelf should be. :D

Out so far today:
    *3 out of date technical manuals from my office desk, dropped in the break room for the other teams that still support that stuff
    *a binder with out-of-date, custom training that is no longer relevant. Insides to recycle, binder back into office supplies
    *the old, broken clock that an officemate replaced MONTHS ago, then stuck the broken one on the windowsill at the end of my desk “just in case.” Sigh.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Out: More leather scraps and a bit of cloth.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

It’s really inspiring hearing about the progress everyone is making! @MichelleOhio – doesn’t it feel great when you can get rid of something that you know should have gone a loooong time ago? :)

Out for Feb. 26: Before I went on vacation last summer, I grabbed a manila envelope and stashed all the random bits from my purse that I knew didn’t need to come to Europe with me. Cleaned the envelope out and PEEPed/trashed/recycled/shredded as needed. Woo hoo!

ATAD February 2013

wow, Meglet–impressive.

OUT:
    - a new address book
    - a listpad in a design I don’t like
    - 3 stray little dishes
    - another wastebasket of paper, this time teaching articles I no longer need.
    - my paper calendar from last year. Thought I’d keep it, but that was the year I was too sick to do anything–don’t need a tangible reminder.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

More for today.

In:
    *4 small cloth bins for storing paperbacks. They work great, but don’t hold as much as I thought, so now I need a few more :(
    *new cover for my Kindle Fire

Out:
    *another book to the donation pile
    *old cover for the Kindle Fire

Probably out:
    After staring at it for a week, I’m pretty sure I don’t want to deal with selling my old stereo receiver on Craigslist. It’s old enough to not be worth much, I don’t have anywhere to put it while I wait, and it’s probably more trouble than I want to deal with. Pretty sure it’s going in the donation pile very soon.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:
    “My Little Pony” DVD DD received for Christmas. All the episodes on that DVD are on Netflix streaming. So, why do we need the DVD? I’m only sorry I didn’t try to take it back to Target closer to Christmas time when they have a more liberal return policy.

Used up:
    Bottle of mouthwash that’s been hanging around a while.

ChiFlower

ATAD February 2013

OUT: (… listed at my local online auction)

- pair of unworn fluffy winter boots that I’ve hung on to for past 8 years, because “I need to sell them”. (PS. I broke my ankle shortly after I bought them, and was in a moon-boot for 2 months, so I couldn’t wear them, and kinda lost interest in them after that).

- SOLD: 3prs of near new hiking socks that I’ve hung on to for years, for the same reason as above: “I need to sell these”.

- SOLD: The last of my perfumes except ONE which I’ve decided I will keep after all. Think I sold about 7 perfumes and a whole lot of miniatures.

- LISTED: Perfectly good electric kettle. I bought a new one when I got my belongings out of storage, because I couldn’t find the one I had, due to too many boxes of clutter, and couldn’t wait. Yes folks, this is how clutter CREATES MORE clutter.

- LISTED: Freaking near new lounge suite that was too big to fit through my apartment door, and has been taking up half the space in my storage unit for the past 8 months. I am finally ready to let it go, and hope somebody buys it (and for a reasonable price).

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: an old “boom box”, a.k.a., a music player with a cassette deck, a CD player, and two large speakers. It hasn’t been used in years, and I had to wait until my husband left town to toss it, even though it’s our daughter’s, and she said I DON’T WANT THAT THING!

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Out:
    *The last two moving boxes unpacked, HOORAY!!!!
    *All the empty moving boxes put in storage
    *2 CD shelves that were on the “maybe” pile, loaded into the car for donation
    *old stereo receiver that was on the “maybe” pile, loaded into the car for donation
    *4 pairs of shoes into the donation box
    *broken case for my eyeglasses

In:
    *new case for glasses

ATAD February 2013

Went on a worktrip and returned with less, I used up some sample toiletries and binned them, and didn’t pick up any more. Win.

ceduke

ATAD February 2013

OUT: Someone came to pick up the five baby snakes! Since he didn’t try to haggle with me about hte price, I threw in their enclosures and the wooden rach that will hold 25+ baby snake enclosures, and now have a BIG shelf in my closet freed up!

IN: going laptop shopping with the money…

Katt

ATAD February 2013

@Meglet–congratulations on getting those boxes emptied and into storage so quickly!! Very nice work :)

@ceduke–still giggling about five baby snakes. I know, I know, but it just cracks me up. Glad you found them a nice home.

ATAD February 2013

congratulations, meglet. when I move later this year, I just want to be as organized and efficient as you!
    and good for you, ceduke. just don’t post pictures. I’m ridiculously afraid of snakes–I know it’s irrational, but that doesn’t change the fact . . . .

OUT today:
    - a small bag of hair accessories and four pairs of earrings I NEVER wear.
    - some spoiled jam and yogurt. I hate wasting food–but sometimes it can’t be helped, esp as I don’t live here alone. Incidentally, since I last tidied the fridge there have sprouted three open jars of mayonnaise. And I don’t use the stuff, so there.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

Thanks Katt & Prof.Clutter! Some days it sure didn’t feel organized & efficient, but it’s so nice to be “done” with the move! Now all I have left is clearing out the last few random bits, and finding homes for the stuff that’s cluttering up my surfaces.

One more Out for today, which was SUPPOSED to go out months ago but ended up filling space in a packing box instead (which was kind of needed, the box was half empty and had early-packing fragiles in it)
    *Butterfly shower curtain, hooks, and matching towels.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Out for Feb. 27:

I’m proud of this one … cleaned out an envelope full of mostly bits of paper from my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Norway last summer. I kept three ticket stubs and recycled or shredded the rest, which was a little tough … I was thinking things like, when in my life again will I have my hands on a fast-food receipt written in Norwegian?? But reason prevailed. :)

ATAD February 2013

Uncluttered my hair. It was almost down to my waist and now I look like a boy. I think I like it and it sure will be a lot easier to maintain in the summer when I start swimming again every day.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

Trash: 2 small pieces of cloth moved from giveaways to garbage; large piece neatly folded and taken to giveaway box on porch. Other giveaways also transported downstairs.

Giveaways:

- Small, oddly shaped porcelain dish (along with some stray bubble wrap that was sticking out from between a couple of books on my office bookshelf).

- 2 books on semi-precious stones, and a copy of Getting Things Done that I’ve been mulling over for a while but not using. GTD is just a bit too formal and complex for my tastes; I’m more the “Write it on the board or on a Post-It note, and it’ll get done” type.

Also rearranged the stockpile of batteries downstairs, consolidating them into a single plastic bin. The extra container rejoins my supply of lunch containers, which is due for a cull because I tend to use the same ones over and over again and really only need 3 or 4.

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

Out today:
    - 2 bottles of glue left over from a holiday project. Happily received by a teached who lives in our building.
    - Guiness beer t-shirt. I am a vegetarian, apparently Guiness is not. Good enough reason to get rid of one of my many pajama shirts. :)

sharonus

ATAD February 2013

@Alice F – You know what I’ve started to do with momentos like that? I have two cabinet sides that I use as kind of display walls. When we come back from a trip to somewhere fun, I’ll take the maps, tickets, and other papery things and tape them to the side of the cabinet. It’s not neat or artfully arranged, just all taped up together. Then we can see and enjoy those things when we walk by or into the kitchen. I’ll continue to add movie or event tickets and other fun things. Then, when I run out of room or they start looking grungy, I tear them all down and start over. It works really well for my kids and I also paste up things like all the valentines they received lately. I feel no guilt when they are finally torn down and recycled because I feel like I’ve really enjoyed them.

Ella

ATAD February 2013

OMG, Susan!! That’s huge, your hair was really long. You better get to another unclutterer meet-up soon so you can post a new pic. Or just go ahead and post a pic anyway, I’m dying of curiosity!

Katha

ATAD February 2013

OUT: Between a third and half of my furniture. I will be combining households with DF in the summer, and am the first one to move into our new apartment, two weeks from now. Apart from an 80 cm “Billy” and 1 m of clothes closet that match what DF will bring into the mix, no replacements are planned.

So:
    - three large cabinets
    - a dinner table
    - 1,5 m*1,5m of bookshelves
    - 4 IKEA “Benno” DVD shelves
    - one bed and nightstand
    - one bathroom cabinet
    - a collapsible clothes closet (still in its box…)
    - one IKEA “Robin” bookshelf
    - one computer-tower cart
    - one rocking chair
    - one IKEA “Antonius” laundry organising drawer unit
    - my current donations tote

all out the door, to be sold in a charity shop. They came to get the furniture themselves, did not charge for it, did not damage the staircase, and took everything! (They had warned me that they would leave behind stuff that was not in good enough condition for re-sale – so it was a relief,as the large cabinets were 25 years old and had been through several moves and the rest of the furniture I had mostly bought used).

The space I have now!! (to use for piling up moving boxes…)

Little mounds of clutter left everywhere, though, from the last bits and bobs that I took out of the shelves etc. Did not feel like dealing with these last night.

Bonus: 150 EUR+VAT saved in the process: That is what the moving company would have charged me to get rid of the lot. And I suspect my still-perfectly-usable furniture would (at least partly) have ended up in the landfill this way.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

@sharonus: Great idea for enjoying those bits & bobs of paper from a trip instead of just stuffing them in a drawer – thanks for sharing!

Barbs

ATAD February 2013

I have not been posting regularly so I will lump it altogether now and will try to do better in March:

Out to Inbox/trash/recycling:
    4 Placemats/napkins/napkin rings
    4 jars of pepper jelly
    1 jar sorghum molasses
    1 jar of taco sauce
    4 headbands
    1 pizza pan
    3 corning casserole dishes
    4 measuring spoons
    1 corkscrew (broken)
    1 Brita pitcher
    1 puzzle
    1 Clairol Quick Lift styling clips
    3 toiletries (TAP)
    5 articles of clothing
    several bags & some bubble wrap

Sky

ATAD February 2013

out:

2 tubes of hair color conditioner. I always save them and never use them, so, out they go.

Ella

ATAD February 2013

Sky: I used to toss out those conditioner tubes, but now I squeeze them into the bottle of my regular conditioner and shake it up.

Northshore
    Participant

ATAD February 2013

used up another hotel hand lotion.
    discovered a stash of sugar packets from moving day in 2010. Used them in my tea this week.
    a bunch of magazines to the recycling bin.

ATAD February 2013

out: all the dust and other detritus of the stairs and downstairs floors.

I still have a love affair with my new Rubbermaid mop. I’d love to know if it was designed by a woman.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

Out: paper copies of recipes I will never cook, old cookbooks I have never used, a sushi set that I had no idea what to do with, and a cheap food processor that never worked.

ATAD February 2013

Out: A five inch stack of old manuscript drafts from papers that are published now.

A pile of forms that needed to be completed; mailed off.

gailbon

ATAD February 2013

More out: cleaned out a file cabinet of unnecessary paperwork and nostalgia. Shredded paperwork, and tossed into recycling bin.

Meglet

ATAD February 2013

@Katha, WOW that’s a lot out! And very cool that the shop did the pickup.

Unless I run across something later that I just HAVE to toss in the donation box, I’m taking the day off from uncluttering. I’m tired, I have done a TON of stuff this month what with moving and everything, and I’m just plain unmotivated today.

lucy1965

ATAD February 2013

@Meglet, you should absolutely take a break. You’ve done wonderfully!

IN: a replacement for the bricked router.

Our printer is failing, and we’re talking about whether it’s worth replacing if it goes before the move: we don’t print much, there will be a printer available in the office of the apartment building, and with the new construction for the university in the neighborhood there might well be a FedEx/Kinko’s by the time we get there.

Sky

ATAD February 2013

Good idea, Ella. I’m going to try that.

Alice F.

ATAD February 2013

Out for Feb. 28:

Went through yet another envelope full of stuff I dumped out of my purse before a trip (this one from fall 2011!). Feels good to get those gone!

irishbell

ATAD February 2013

Sky and Ella- I used to throw those tubes out also, but I use them now and just don’t buy conditioner anymore.
    They’re perfect for my dds who have wonderfully long thick hair.
    Also good to take on vacation instead of a big bottle.

Astreja

ATAD February 2013

*applauds Katha for the mass eviction of furniture* Wow… That is a lot of stuff.

Out: Small half-moon-sized food storage container. Also nested some of my surplus glass containers inside one another and freed up a bit of cupboard space.

Dropped off the giveaway box tonight on my way to rehearsal, and RSVP’d for an upcoming band workshop.

ATAD February 2013

wow, Katha.

OUT:
    - 2 books to the people I’d gotten them for.
    - 2 packets of paperwork
    - a file storage container to a colleague
    - a random roll of bubble wrap to someone mailing a fragile package tomorrow.

IN:
    - my March gifts. I tend to shop sales or lurk on Amazon and hoard months in advance something that might work for Justin Case’s birthday. I skipped that and, wouldn’t you know, there were three apt gifts at one store, on clearance, with coupon, and my duties for the cluster of March birthdays are done. I still prefer the ease of online shopping, but that went smoothly in person.

- a purse. Like grownups use. In my favorite color. I had long since stopped using purses because I just shoved stuff into the oversized shoulder bag that had *everything* in it (for a day on campus, or maybe a spontaneous polar expedition). For months now, when I’m not wanting to carry the whole bag around, I walk around with my hands full of wallet, cell phone, list pad, pen, keys, glasses, etc. and I’m either dropping them or leaving them behind when I have to get something, or putting them in the bottom of my shopping basket. Someone pointed out that that’s why purses were invented. :) So now I’ve uncluttered my hands. Duh. Maybe I was the only woman on this continent without a purse. So, again, duh.

lottielot

ATAD February 2013

Some tshirts of dh’s and a too-small kids one

Katha

ATAD February 2013

Ah, I’m all aglow with pride that my furniture purge impressed you!

I am back to baby steps again, because I was still a bit wiped-out:
    - pair of pyjama pants that had become scratchy
    - pair of pantyhose that kept riding down my legs
    - small vase – almost pretty, but leaky – left rings of water where it stood

clutterbug22

ATAD February 2013

lottielot’

Some T-shirts of dh’s? We all know how he loves his T-shirts! Does he know that they are gone? ;)

ninakk

ATAD February 2013

When you’re ready:

http://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/atad-march-2013

s

ATAD February 2013

Bold hair move, Susan! Enjoy it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.