Home Forums Welcome Hello! Are you jealous?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of needtocleanhouse needtocleanhouse 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

This might sound a bit silly but I sometimes catch myself thinking something like “Oh wow, she is such an awesome unclutterer, so accomplished and efficient! Ten moving boxes with contents binned today, imagine. I on the other hand recycled only a magazine”. I do not really feel jealous of the junk (duh) but if I have a weaker moment I might still feel a form of inferiority. Especially the ATAD thread can have me thinking of the piles that are still waiting for me and I forget completely how much I have achieved already. Ring any bells?

Are you jealous?

Indeed. I am jealous of those who are going through their papers, as difficult as it may be for them. I have a couple (large) plastic tubs in the basement with schoolwork. Haven’t used them in 8 years and I think it’s safe to say that I won’t use them. But I know it will take a certain amount of time to go through them, and it will be difficult. So to all of you who have the courage to go through your papers, I salute you (and am slightly jealous).

Profile photo of chacha1
    chacha1

Are you jealous?

I am jealous of those who are about to move to smaller quarters and whose previously uncooperative housemates are being forced to deal with too much stuff. By getting rid of it. :-)

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Are you jealous?

I’m jealous of those living in a very small minimalist place without all the superfluous! Only the necessities and a few loved things. I keep trying but don’t think I’ll ever get to that point unless a hurricane blows everything away.

Don’t mean to sound ungrateful because I am blessed. I just need to make some hard decisions and quit complaining.

Profile photo of Vivace
    Vivace

Are you jealous?

I’m jealous of people who have trash and recycling service instead of having to drag all their trash to the dumpster halfway across the apartment complex and all their shredding/paper recycling to work.

Profile photo of Emilie
    Emilie

Are you jealous?

I’m jealous of people who have uncluttering control over their whole house or apartment. ;) Or those who don’t have to deal with the dreaded Other People’s Clutter. I only have jurisdiction over my own bedroom.

Profile photo of JuliaJayne
    JuliaJayne

Are you jealous?

Nina, sometimes all it takes is some external motivation. I was highly motivated by a 30 day declutter challenge on another blog. Before that I had a long stretch were I was pretty indifferent to the remaining clutter. Actually, I’ve always been like that. I get a lot of stuff out, and then I don’t do much for a while. I reached a point not long ago that I decided I was content and finished with decluttering, but I’m rethinking that. It is official that my son is going back to school, so a lot of stuff will be leaving with him. Once he’s out, I want to go through every area in the house to reorganized everything, and hopefully, find clutter.

We could have our own challenge here if people are interested. A challenge that is easily done within 15 minutes or so gets posted daily. Of course it would be optional, and there are no prizes except the satisfaction of accomplishment.

Profile photo of happymonkey
    happymonkey

Are you jealous?

JuliaJayne, the satisfaction of accomplishment is the best! I joined the “no new clothes for a year” challenge and my sister asked me what I was going to reward myself with at the end of the year. I told her my reward would be knowing I could go an entire year without buying any clothes!

Are you jealous?

I’ve not been jealous of other’s accomplishments — I use them as good examples for me to follow, or at least paths to explore. I am, though, grateful when I read about other’s challenges — I do have curbside recycling, a car to haul things away, a Goodwill donation station two minutes down the road, enough money do I don’t have to worry too much about the value of the things I dispose of, a flexible schedule, good health and stamina — it’s all good. Except, perhaps, being married to the twin brother of “Justin Case.”

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

Are you jealous?

i have been on a weight loss blog a few years ago and your question reminds me to that blog. there was a topic like ATAD, but it was a weekly “how much did i lose within the last week”. i was kind of jealous at first, then i lost a lot of weight and after that i didn’t feel jealous anymore. i turned to be a feeling of ” oh dear, if you lost 2 or 3 kgs this week, you will have to lose a lot more”. so is it here. if i read about those huge masses i assume how much there is still to do. the grass on the other side is always greener :)

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

Are you jealous?

i am old enough to have realised that the grass is greenest where it is watered.
    so i take inspiration from you all and i go about my business with as much intention and heart as possible.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Are you jealous?

Yes, mostly the forum is inspiring, please don’t misunderstand me, but those weak moments come once in a while when I haven’t been decluttering for a while or the speed is a bit too slow to my taste. Then there is a bit of a love-hate-relationship going on with ATAD :) Mostly it is love though! Thanks for your honest replies, and bandicoot, it is so true about watering the grass.

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

Are you jealous?

I am perhaps being a bit too enthusiastic about my updates; I’m sorry! I should put up photos of where we’re starting on this room: it’s terrifying and embarrassing, and there’s still a long way to go (there’s a full walk-in closet; I haven’t gotten beyond opening a door, making a squeak of terror, and closing the door again).

Profile photo of Lounger
    Lounger

Are you jealous?

I’m sure people who have relocated more often than me have it easier because they’ve had to reconsider all their stuff more recently. But I have enough trouble with packing for a holiday, so not really jealous at all of the frequent movers.

Ninakk – completely understand the love / relationship with ATAD. Usually looking at Unclutterer and browsing the forums inspires me to get stuck in but occasionally it has the opposaite effect adn then I know I should leave it til another day.

Bandicoot – your post is briliant and I’m off to do some watering!

Are you jealous?

I’ll make you all feel better – my front room and kitchen/dining room currently look like a couple of grenades have been tossed in there with all the paperwork (mostly mine) with which we haven’t dealt appropriately, and probably won’t until I finish my current TAFE subject and TESOL course, so sometime in September I’m guessing.

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

Are you jealous?

I feel happy when other people have a good old blitz, but that wouldn’t make me feel that they were more organised or efficient or superior :) I tend to work best in spurts of activity, ATAD just keeps me on track when I have zero motivation or energy.
    But I am jealous of those whose dh’s don’t have shoe or tshirt buying obsessions!

lottielot

Are you jealous?

And whilst I was busy listing my achievements on ATAD my kids have emptied the contents of 2 massive boxes of Lego over the lounge room floor, scattered all the other surfaces of the house with swords and crumbs, it has poured relentlessly all afternoon on all the washing I hung out to dry this morning, and I went shopping, opened the car boot and realised all the stuff I put in there to take to the tip before our holiday is still sitting in there.
    My fridge is still clean though, and looking nicely uncluttered :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Are you jealous?

welcome back, Lottielot! how were your holidays?

I am more inspired than jealous to read other people’s accomplishments, but unfortunately I do get a bit green over their space–I am an unwilling minimalist.

Rational me says, “look at all the fun you get to have! and how you love your work! and the location of your home is so near to everything! You don’t need a bathtub, there is a spa 1/2 hour away! you have an adoring husband, great friends, and an affectionate cat” but juvenile me says, “she/he cleaned out a basement. I don’t have a basement”. Or, “she/he cleaned a closet/drawer/pantry/garage/shelf/collection/guest room/second bathroom and I don’t have a closet/drawer/pantry/garage/shelf/collection/guest room/second bathroom.

Mostly rational me has the floor but once in a while juvenile me pops up and she needs a stern talking-to.

lottielot

Are you jealous?

Lol djk! My holiday was lovely, thanks!
    I think this forum is kind of US-centric, and in the US they tend to have more space and hence bigger houses with room for hall closets, lots of bathrooms, garages and suchlike. Not everywhere, obviously, as Apartment Therapy can testify to, but it seems that in countries where there is more space then houses are bigger. I do have friends in the UK who have big houses and lots of extra rooms and storage, but I tell myself that I like living in an Edwardian house with some character (well, small rooms) rather than my friends’ ugly new houses. Actually, I used to think that the answer to my clutter problems was a bigger house, now I think it’s less stuff and better organisation. I used to spend plenty of time on property websites mooning over houses with more bedrooms/bigger gardens/basements/utility rooms. I try to count my blessings more nowadays and think less about what other people have and more how great it is that I can walk to school with my kids in 10 minutes rather than stuck in traffic.
    And actually, this forum is a bit of an eye-opener as you see that people with lots of storage still have clutter issues, just more hidden ones! I do know what you mean though. More obviously than most things in life, there is no such thing as the ‘perfect’ property, yet tv programmes etc try to portray it as possible. But there is always a trade-off in terms of price/location/convenience/size/number of bathrooms/proximity of neighbours/garden size/whatever. Remind yourself of your priorities on a daily basis and make full use of that spa!!
    What’s the saying, something like ‘the secret to happiness is being content with what you have’? Something along those lines. I know
    multimillionaires who are jealous of what other people have :)
    Right now I’m happy because I told my kids to tidy up the lounge before pudding and they did so! Order is (temporarily) restored.

Profile photo of Charity
    Charity

Are you jealous?

I’m jealous of people whose kids tidy up the lounge when told to! My current goal is to stop them dropping bits of clothing round the house randomly and to actually put them in the laundry basket, or at least on the stairs to go up, instead of just leaving them wherever they happened to take them off. Especially socks. (This also applies to husband).

I’m also jealous of people whose houses have character, but then I remind myself that the main reason we bought this house (built in 1971) was the awful damp problems in our previous Victorian basement-level flat. Big rooms, and absolutely no damp. I would really really love a hall closet though. I need to do something about the shoe problem.

Profile photo of rutheverhart
    rutheverhart

Are you jealous?

lottielot, you parapharased my favorite recipe for happiness: Want what you have. So often people think it’s the opposite, right?

I do enjoy these forums because they have a nice spirit about them, and I especially like that there are people in the UK and Australia, not just all US. It’s so easy to think other people have it better, somehow. They just have it different.

And I think that by age 53, I am really realizing that I am living the life I built. If I don’t like it, then it’s up to me to do it differently. A little pang of jealousy is important information about what my soul wants.

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

Are you jealous?

djk, does it help if I tell you that in my personal experience, having a basement and garage means that there are more places for things to go to die? I’m really looking forward to getting rid of both, because it’s too much to keep on top of and so it doesn’t get dealt with, which leads to my creating threads about cleaning out a junk room and boring everyone to tears about it. ;-)

Profile photo of jbeany
    jbeany

Are you jealous?

@Charity…Little dead sock corpses are the worst, aren’t they? Worse than shed snake skins scattered all over the house.

I get jealous of my sister’s ease at uncluttering – she’s one of the least sentimental people I know. She’s also the most likely person to inherit all my crap, given my health problems, so I try to keep that in mind as I decide what to do with my stuff. I know that she’s not going to want about 99% of it!

Profile photo of Netleigh
    Netleigh

Are you jealous?

I’m jealous of anyone that has a hall cupboard, our hallway is long and narrow with no place to keep shoes, there’s not even a space for an IKEA shoe cabinet, thankfully coats manage to hang on pegs.
    I’m also envious of anyone with time to get on with the decluttering, I’m not very efficient with time but seem to have too many calls on it at the moment.

lottielot

Are you jealous?

Charity: it’s not that common an event my kids tidying up when asked to, hence my exclamation mark :) Pudding can be a great incentive though, and I’m planning on extracting full chore value out of every fun activity these holidays! If I take the kids swimming or to tennis or the cinema or on a day out, I will be demanding some major help round the house first. The sock thing drives me crazy too, though ds1 usually ends up with ALL his clothes on his bedroom floor, not just the socks.
    Rutheverhart: I like what you said about having the life that you built. I think one good thing about getting older is that you finally gain a sense of agency over your life.
    Lucy: this is unclutterer, you are certainly not boring anyone telling us about your junk room! We’re here to be each others’ cheerleaders in uncluttering.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Are you jealous?

rutheverhart, you forgot quite many other countries too :)

rutheverhart

Are you jealous?

@ninakk, where are you?

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Are you jealous?

@rutheverhart: I’m in Finland, and as far as I know candy is in Sweden, Mimi in Germany, djk in Austria (hrm right?) to mention a few! I believe we have people in other European countries also, Ireland for instance.

Profile photo of Mimi
    Mimi

Are you jealous?

and ASHURA lives in a country without an IKEA-store. i so wonder where this country is! :)

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Are you jealous?

So do I, Mimi!

Profile photo of mskris
    mskris

Are you jealous?

I’m jealous of those who live with people who dont sabatage their de-cluttering efforts! Every time I achieve a milestone and am proud of myself – BAM! here come the kids or hubby to leave something (or many things) out and make a mess of my lovely, organized space!

Profile photo of pkilmain
    pkilmain

Are you jealous?

I live in a country that has Ikea stores, but the nearest one to me is a 3.5 hour plane ride away. :) Good thing too, as we’re on the umpteenth day of rain here, and an afternoon planning rooms in an Ikea store would be right up my alley.

Profile photo of inga
    inga

Are you jealous?

There’s no Ikea in New Zealand

Are you jealous?

ninakk – one of the teachers for my TESOL course is from Finland! :-)

Mmm, IKEA – planning on going there tomorrow (I live about 10 mins drive away, if that, from Queensland’s only store – now I’ve made some people jealous :-) ) but it’s to buy the small, soft toys if they have what I want. I’m after farmyard animals to use as realia for a teaching practicum I’m doing on Saturday.

For those who are wondering, ‘realia’ is a TESOL term for things that are or ‘closely’ resemble real things so students don’t have to imagine everything. For example, if you’re doing a cooking topic, the realia might be your kitchen utensils – preferably not your unitaskers. :-)

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Are you jealous?

Laetitia, try saying ratsastajattaritta next time you meet you teacher.

Are you jealous?

Ah, but nina – just what would I be saying? From what I can tell from a quick web search it’s something like going somewhere ‘without women who ride horses’ and I’m left wondering why one would have such a desire to leave them behind that a single word was created for such a concept.

rutheverhart

Are you jealous?

@nina — it’s fun to hear where you and the others are from.

about Ikea — there is one near me (in Washington DC) but I have only been there ONCE! It was a bit overwhelming. I bought two things, which I later decided I didn’t really want: a rack (for hot pots) which was too big and cumbersome (and then we got granite countertops making it unnecessary) and a cute little container of 3 small pots of cactus (which I immediately killed due to inattention!). So much for IKEA shopping for me!

My husband loved their Swedish meatball lunch, however.

Profile photo of Katha
    Katha

Are you jealous?

I am from Germany – and jealous of anyone who manages not to always leave things all over the place without noticing.

This morning I stood in the bathroom, finished with my shower, only to realise I had no underwear to slip on. I had left it in the bedroom – on the windowsill, of all places! Luckily the neighbours can’t see that bit of the windowsill :-( At least I had the bathrobe with me in the bathroom, or the neighbours could have had a glimpse at other bits…

I have tried the “lay out what you want to wear the night before” but somehow I often change my mind about it in the morning, and then everything gets rather frantic, whereas at the moment it’s just rushed ;-)

Profile photo of Parsifal
    Parsifal

Are you jealous?

I’m a little jealous of folks who have the freedom to declutter however they wish. I’m at the point in my life (grad shool) where I could easily give up everything except a desk, chair, bed, clothes, toiletries, a laptop, minimal kitchen utensils and school supplies. It would be liberating, I feel, to live totally without distractions for a semester or two. However, I’m married to a lovely woman who takes great pleasure in keeping house and who would never part with a ginormous truckload of sentimental knickknacks, movies, books etc.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

Are you jealous?

Parsifal, that is the part they call compromise :)

Profile photo of Rosa
    Rosa

Are you jealous?

You could always be like Jay Schaeffer and build yourself a tiny house in the backyard, Parsifal.

Are you jealous?

This topic had me thinking about these quotes:

“Judge not, that ye be not judged.”

“And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is i thine own eye?”

“…first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of they brother’s eye.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.