Home Forums Forum Administration Questions a private message option

This topic contains 39 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Conny Conny 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

Dear Forum admins,
    Some of us would like to share e-mail addresses without posting them on the forum. For this, a private message(PM) option for those who want it, would be very helpful.
    Any chance we could have that soon?

Profile photo of djk
    djk

a private message option

+1 on the PM option, please

Profile photo of candy
    candy

a private message option

That is a great idea! I’d love a PM option.

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

a private message option

it would be very useful indeed!

Profile photo of grey
    grey

a private message option

i haven’t needed the function yet, but i’d like one anyway! every forum i’ve participated in has a PM… didn’t notice this one didn’t until it came up the other day.

Profile photo of Netleigh
    Netleigh

a private message option

Another vote for being able to PM. It would be useful as we do seem to think it would be good to meet up if in the same cities/countries.

a private message option

I vote for it.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

a private message option

Yep, would be very useful for sharing private information.

a private message option

bump

a private message option

I’d like the PM option, too.

Profile photo of Irulan
    Irulan

a private message option

I’m also in favor of a PM option. I know that these things cost, so I’d be willing to donate some money towards it if you put up a donate button, as well.

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer

a private message option

+1

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

bumpity bump

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

Does anybody have a direct connection to the forum webmaster or whomever so that we can get a reply- either way, a yes or no (and a why if no) on this question?

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

a private message option

Conny: There’s a Contact link at the bottom of this page:

http://unclutterer.com/discuss/

Profile photo of nws2002
    nws2002

a private message option

bbPress, which is what I believe this site uses, has a plugin for private messages. Whether or not it is worthwhile and safe to install I don’t know.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

a private message option

+1! :)

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

But Ella, that is where this thread is located!
    I meant a proper e-mail address.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

a private message option

Conny, click on the link I provided, scroll to the bottom of that page, click on Contact, and send your message to Erin.

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

ahhhhhh, well yes, i had seen that, but it requires my e-mail and at the same time also says “Messages are considered for publication unless specifically noted otherwise” so it not quite so clear if my e-mail will show up when that is done.

I just had hoped that this thread might have caught the attention of Forum Webmaster or Erin by now, and that we would have had a reply aswell. Shall wait and see. Maybe they are trying to figure out something anyway?

Profile photo of Scarlet
    Scarlet

a private message option

Well, it requires your email so they can reply, otherwise how are you going to get the answer? Besides, Unclutterer already has your email address from your registration for these discussion forums, right? I’ve submitted feedback to Erin through that link before myself.

And I think the “considered for publication” part is just to discourage people from submitting unsolicited ideas and then trying to claim them if they’re used. It does say “unless specifically noted otherwise,” so if you’re concerned about that you can just note that your comment is not for publication.

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

You are right Scarlet…i will just hope for a bit longer that they read this thread and let us know.

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

I really do wonder if forum admins actually read what is posted. (<- small dote of sarcasm in there) …

I’d like to think that at least this thread/ this topic, labeled = Questions to the Forum administrator+ would be important to check every once in a while…

@ scarlet, have thought about what you wrote last week, and i believe that an answer -either way- as to whether we could have a private message option would be good for all of us who would like one, to know yes or no and if no, why not, and not only as a reply to an e-mail to me.

hm??

Profile photo of Scarlet
    Scarlet

a private message option

I will happily submit feedback to Erin pointing her to this thread if you’re not comfortable doing that. I’ll ask her to respond in the thread.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

a private message option

How is this going forward?

Profile photo of Scarlet
    Scarlet

a private message option

I dropped the ball on this, I apologize. I just submitted a feedback form on the main site drawing Erin’s attention to the two threads (this one and the moderator one).

Profile photo of Erin Doland
    Erin Doland
    Keymaster

a private message option

Hey gang. I’ll talk to our techs to see if a private message is possible, but no promises. No one works weekends, so it won’t be until Monday until I can get a response. In the short term, maybe head over to our Facebook page and then message each other through Facebook? One person just needs to write on the wall, and then others can comment so you can see each other’s names to select for messages. — Erin

Erin Doland
    Keymaster

a private message option

Oh, and just for easy access … our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unclutterer/10429362239

Profile photo of lucy1965
    lucy1965

a private message option

For reasons well explained here (I have been stalked in the past), I don’t use Facebook. Ah, well.

bandicoot

a private message option

i don’t have a fb account either.
    oy vey.

a private message option

Que sí.

Privacy, as we knew it, shall never pass this way again.

FB great place to snoop.

I have had three serious stalkers. One was scary.

Erin Doland
    Keymaster

a private message option

Like I said, I’ll ask on Monday about a private message option. I don’t know how to activate such a feature.

Erin Doland
    Keymaster

a private message option

The techs are looking into the private message thing for me. Their initial thoughts are that our system doesn’t support it, but they’re going to hunt through the documentation to see if they missed something.

Profile photo of ninakk
    ninakk

a private message option

Thanks!

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

Thanks from me too! I hope it works out, because i don’t do facebook either.

Erin Doland
    Keymaster

a private message option

Initial search says it’s not part of our Forum system. However, they’re now looking into some sort of work around that could be added onto the system. We’ll have to see first if the work around is possible and then find out what the cost will be. If it’s a couple hundred bucks, we may be able to do it. If it’s thousands … I don’t see it happening right now. Will report back when I know more …

a private message option

Thank you Erin, much appreciated.

bandicoot

a private message option

thanks very much, erin!

Profile photo of Netleigh
    Netleigh

a private message option

Thanks for investigating this as an option Erin.

Profile photo of Conny
    Conny

a private message option

Just checking to see if you know more ? :-)

(Have been away -from posting- but been reading a few threads from time to time.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.