Home Forums Welcome Hello! 30 Year Old Candles

This topic contains 24 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of chacha1 chacha1 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    PJ

Recently at the thrift store I found a couple of those really elaborate candles with different coloured layers all carved into funky shapes. They are large – one of them about a foot tall – and were really cheap, even though I know they are quite expensive to buy new.

Why not? I bought them – you can always use more candles, right? Well … seeing as how this is unclutterer, I guess I can’t really say that, can I? Still, I figured that as long as I use them, it wouldn’t hurt.

I’ve been burning one of them for the last couple of weeks, a couple of evenings a week. Here’s the thing – it had a sticker on it that said “Christmas 1980.” Yes, someone had this big beautiful expensive candle sitting around for 30 years, and in the end, donated it to a thrift store rather than burn it.

What’s the point?

Well, tonight I re-organized my candle supplies – 2nd pass through in a month. After finding a couple more candle holders to donate, I realized that my stock of candles and holders would fit in my end table cupboards in the living room, where I actually use them.

In the process of the move, I also realized that I have a little teapot shaped candle that a friend gave me … oh, I don’t know … 5 years ago?

Guess what’s burning now???

Jennifer

30 Year Old Candles

PJ I am on a mission to burn my candles this year too. None of mine are 30 years old, but some have definitely been lingering too long.

PJ

30 Year Old Candles

Yes, that’s what they’re for, right?

Just thinking, another lesson to learn from this … buy candles as gifts, sure. They’re consumable. But maybe stay away from the fancy carved ones, or ones shaped like something, unless you’re sure the recipients are the type of people who will go ahead and burn them regardless.

Ella

30 Year Old Candles

For the past month I’ve finally been burning a carved candle that was given to me in Italy in 2004. For 7 years, I saved it as a souvenir. Now I’m burning it every evening and oh my, the carving is so beautiful when lit. Silly and wasteful not to use it.

bandicoot

30 Year Old Candles

it’s a lesson not to save things for…..whatever.
    today is all we have.

a few years ago, i bought a dozen irish linen napkins on ebay. those nice big white damask ones.
    estate lot, over fifty years old.
    they arrived with the original dressing or sizing all over them….all yellowed and cracking.
    i laundered them and they came up snowy white, crisp and brand new….and half a century old.
    i use them often and sometimes i wonder what on earth the original owner was saving them for? or perhaps she had BOXES of them?

ninakk

30 Year Old Candles

I have a friend who recently told me her parents still have their wedding china in the original boxes. It never really gets used because it’s the “good china”. This is sad, pathetic, silly, annoying, frustrating, just pure craziness. And then to move on to think about all the other ridiculous couples who treat their china the same way… Ugh, one goes nuts.

Another Deb

30 Year Old Candles

I inherited my great-grandmother’s wedding china. It comes out at family gatherings but is not really my taste, so I prefer not to use it daily. On the other hand, I collect Blue Willow china, some of the pieces being of similar vintage. I used it every day with delight.

GGmother carefully stored her china because in those days you had a big family and your few possessions would find homes after you no longer use them. The reverse is true now. I also now have my mom’s wedding china, all 12 place settings..sigh. Luckily it’s white on white design and I like it. On Christmas Eve she told someone she was coming over to my house to “visit her china”.

I guess it’s like the wedding dress dilemma. Now the china represents the marriage…Luckily it still fits after 56 years, Mom!

lucy1965

30 Year Old Candles

@bandicoot: that’s exactly how I acquired our linen napkins. They date from the ’30s and had been sitting in a box, unused, until the original owner passed away. It makes me sad to think of it, honestly.

bandicoot

30 Year Old Candles

it does seem sad….but we are making up for lost time!

arthelemis

30 Year Old Candles

One of our Christmas tradition is to have a lot of candy/chocolate on our living room table. We put them in crystal candy dishes. Two of them are a 100 years old, as they were my great-grandmother’s wedding gift (in 1912). They are beautifully sculpted and ornate with real gold trim. My mother had some friend over one evening, and they commentated about how beautiful our crystal dishes were. When told about the origin of them, they were horrified. How could we use a family heirloom ???? We should have keep them in a box, safely wrapped and hidden so nobody could damaged them !!! My mother responded to them that a family heirloom that is unused is nothing more than a burden. We will keep using them until they broke (which is quite unlikely, since I accidentally dropped one of them on the kitchen floor, and managed to cracked the tile… the dish is still intact)

PJ

30 Year Old Candles

arthelemis, thank you for sharing that! It’s nice to think of those lovely dishes being used …

@bandicoot and lucy1965, I know that things don’t have souls, but it somehow does seem happier to think that your linens are being used for the purpose they were intended.

bandicoot

30 Year Old Candles

arthelemis, i love that you guys are using and enjoying your heirloom crystal.
    the other way makes no sense to me.

lucy1965

30 Year Old Candles

@PJ: I bought an Abingdon “Cookie Time” cookie jar years ago; the seller was horrified that I was going to wash off 40 years of attic grime and then store cookies in it. It isn’t in mint condition — the lid was broken at some point and inexpertly repaired — and I thought it would make the late owner happy to know that kids were fishing chocolate chip cookies out of it again. DS loves it, and I will let him take it with him when he moves out: my days of epic cookie baking are drawing to a close.

Anonymous

30 Year Old Candles

Burning all my candles is one of my decluttering resolutions for this year. I have some lovely ones that are in danger of losing their scent if they don’t get used soon. I’ve already cut down my collection to only what I can have out around the house, which is 2 candles in the bathroom and 2 on the coffee table, plus a healthy supply of tea lights for fondue parties ;)

arthelemis – I’m thrilled to hear that you’re using and enjoying your heirlooms. My family took the same approach to crystal; of course some of it got broken (a few vases and countless crystal glasses have perished by my hands when I was a kid… and I have the scars to prove it), but I still enjoy the memory of them better than if they had been these untouchable pieces of history. My house has never been and will never be a museum.

bandicoot

30 Year Old Candles

this thread is making me think.
    years ago, a friend gave me a clarice cliff jug that he had picked up for a song at a flea market somewhere.
    it is a relatively large piece and quite valuable.
    i used to have it on display.
    every time i came home from a trip, my beloved house sitters had a bunch of flowers sitting in it.
    i would move it, but they would always refill it.
    now i am reduced to pretty much hiding it.
    my right hand to god, this is the sole item i own that i treat like this…..everything else gets used.
    i guess i am going to have to sell it or allow it be used as a vase…..and then i think, omg what if they broke it?

lucy1965

30 Year Old Candles

@bandicoot If you’re worrying more about it than enjoying it, maybe it’s time to sell it and put the money towards your travel fund?

bandicoot

30 Year Old Candles

i really do like the thing.
    and i would never pay what they are asking for them.
    really, up to £1000.
    i just don’t want it casually used for flowers ( it is elderly, who knows what shape the internal glaze is in?)….where cats are charging about like furry lunatics.
    perhaps i need to disuss it with my house sitters, but i don’t want to do it so they feel at all awkward.
    nothing else in the place is a problem.
    any suggestions on how to broach this?

PJ

30 Year Old Candles

Oh dear, bandicoot! And you are about to go away and leave the house in the hands of the DHS (dear house sitters), aren’t you?

Sorry to have posted this thread and put you in such a quandary …

I’m sorry that I don’t have any thoughts on how to broach it with them. You might want to be sure you leave out some container that you are happy for them to use as a vase, if you don’t already.

But I also think it would be ok for you to hide it one more year, and give yourself time to think it through at more leisure. And really, since it is the *one* thing you feel this way about, and it is extrordinarily valuable, I don’t think it would be awful for you to continue to keep it safe and extra protected.

30 Year Old Candles

I might say something like — “I’ve discovered that this jug is quite valuable and because it’s old, it might not be good for the glaze to be subjected to water. Until I decide whether or not to sell it, I think it’s best that we keep it put away where the cats can’t get at it.”

This is the truth — you’re just not saying WHEN you found it was valuable. If someone said that to me I would not be offended or embarrassed.

Susan

irishbell

30 Year Old Candles

I would absolutely hide it away , so as to not worry about it while you are on vacation-
    when you return you’ll decide what to do about it. Maybe someone here will have a great
    idea about talking to the dhs about it.
    You might try leaving a note/say in person how you’d prefer not to have it out in the open
    as the cats are maniacs while you are away. Simple and honest.

Mimi

30 Year Old Candles

@bandicoot: i would wrap it in paper and put in in a box sothat it can´t be used or even get broken. it´s your vase and you don´t seem to be worried just because of the value but also because you love it. it´s a 10-minutes-job to store it somewhere, i would not discuss it with your housesitters.

PJ

30 Year Old Candles

@irishbell, I suspect that bandicoot’s cats are maniacs all the time, from what she’s said.

I also suspect that my cats would lovelovelove to do a house exchange with bandicoot’s cats! Prawns for breakfast, free run inside and outside the house, permission to drag mouse entrails all over the house (without owner screaming down the place). Not to mention that mine would be slaughtered if I had such nice linens as bandicoot, and my cats got dirty paw prints all over them.

Yup. My cats would think they’d died and gone to heaven if I shipped them off to Australia …

chacha1

30 Year Old Candles

@bandicoot it’s none of my business of course and I totally understand loving something like that – if we weren’t in earthquake central, and I had endless amounts of cash, I would probably have an extensive pottery collection because I love the stuff, and clarice cliff is GORGEOUS – but I am at that “it’s only stuff” stage with almost everything.

If I had something that I loved, that had a conceivable household use in which I could enjoy it every day, I think I’d put it to use. I think I’d have my wooden spoons in that jug, or my lucky bamboo, or my scissors and rulers and pens on my worktable.

This is a recent development for me and I think you are much further along the decluttering path than I am. It just occurred to me, reading about it, that the reason most of our collected treasures are behind glass is because I’m too lazy to dust them, not because I’d be heartbroken if the cats broke them. In fact, a Chinese porcelain figure that a friend gave us is out on our entry table *in hopes that* the cats will break it. :-)

bandicoot

30 Year Old Candles

the collective wisdom and support here is just WONDERFUL.
    thank you all for your thoughts.

i have moved the jug to an out of the way spot in the bookcase and placed a note inside it…..anyone taking the jug will see the paper standing up out of it.
    and i did exactly as suggested….i have just discovered that this is a valuable jug, and old, blah blah.
    it is perfect and nobody should feel at all chastised.
    i would cut my own ears off before upsetting these people….our cats adore them and they love staying here and people like that are pure gold in my world.

and chacha, i will give some serious thought to how i can utilise the jug in future.
    it is a utility item, designed to be used, it isn’t it’s fault that deco went madly trendy!
    and good luck with your porcelain! cats are like policemen….never one around when you need one!

chacha1

30 Year Old Candles

bandicoot, no kidding. :-) they steal my keys and my pens, they shred my paperwork, they hide my socks … all proper catly behavior. But knock over something I’ve deliberately left vulnerable? Oh no.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.