Home Forums Welcome Hello! 2012 Recipes to Declutter Your Kitchen By Other Frolics in the Kitchen

This topic contains 292 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of needtocleanhouse needtocleanhouse 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    ninakk

2012 Recipes to Declutter Your Kitchen By Other Frolics in the Kitchen

Great! The pantry thread was growing a bit long. Thanks!

Date Bars
    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/12/date-bars-recipe/#more-7906

I have some dates I want to declutter. I’ve already eaten the soft ones so I’m soaking the rest in rum to make this version of date bars that David Lebovitz says is delicious. I’ll omit the pecans, maybe use mac nuts if I can find them …

Butternut Squash Chowder with Apples and Bacon :P
    http://www.joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2012/01/recipe-rosted-butternut-chowder-with.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EatsWellWithOthers+%28Eats+Well+With+Others%29

I have a kabocha pumpkin that needs decluttering and I have lots of apples & a rain check for bacon, and I am growing sage so may try this recipe or one for squash soup.

ninakk

Perfect timing! I have some dates that are waiting to be used. Could you report once you’ve tried the recipe? I’m bad at based on reading a recipe changing ingredients still, so it might be helpful to get some comments!

lottielot

Ooh, that looks nice, ntch! Apart from the ‘vegetarian bacon’, whatever that is! We have loads of squash and I have lots of sage at the allotment, so I think it’d be a good ‘use it up’ recipe.
    Dh is making a cake. From a mix, but still…he is also uncluttering stuff from the baking drawer so it’s all good. Luckily I don’t like chocolate cake, so I’m not tempted :)

lottielot

Dh got the cake out of the oven, iced it and then put it…into the fridge. Where it obviously sank in the middle, it looks more like a very large donut! I wonder what kind of idiot I’m married to sometimes! He did make a delicious chicken noodle soup, and last night he made kedgeree, but today I have spent 3 hours cleaning the kitchen and washing up pots and pans. And it’s still a mess. And I still had to cook dinner for my fussy children. So tomorrow I have challenged them to cook dinner by themselves :)

lucy1965

Cheerfully eating some bread just out of the oven; once it’s cooled a bit more, I’ll make up some sandwiches. The eggs are going into egg salad, and I’m doing chicken pot pie for supper tonight.

lottielot: Another squash/pumpkin and sage recipe I’m dying to try that you might make:

http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/10/roasted-pumpkin-quiche-with-caramelized.html

I think it would do fine crustless as well – that’s how I’ll try making it to stay away from the wheat flour and extra calories.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/11/my-favorite-kitchen-tip-ever/

I know what you mean about dishes!!! This picture is from David Lebovitz’s great food blog site.

Cranberry Bean Chili with Winter Squash and Swiss Chardhttp://marcussamuelsson.com/recipes/cranberry-bean-chili-with-winter-squash-and-swiss-chard-recipe

Another squash recipe.

Thai Kabocha Curryhttp://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2011/12/28/thai-kabocha-curry/

Anyone going to D.C.?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/40-dishes-every-washingtonian-must-try/2011/12/23/gIQA9KRbOP_gallery.html?tid=ts_lifeent#photo=30

lottielot

Ntch: my kitchen looked exactly like that yesterday :) Dh has been uncluttered to work (phew) so I can venture in there knowing it may actually not get to that stage again…
    I’m assessing what dh bought at the supermarket and it looks like the salmon needs using first. I found this recipe which looks nice and I have most of the ingredients:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1398/italian-broccoli-and-salmon-bake
    But dh hates sundried tomatoes so I’ll substitute pesto, and marscapone seems a bit decadent so I’ll go for something healthier like creme fraiche as some of the comments suggested. The other good thing about this recipe is that I can cook the pasta earlier for the kids.

ninakk

Yeah, that’s my kitchen currently, too… Disgusting. I’ve decided not to check the box for “Wash dishes” on my daily task list unless I’ve washed all of them, not just a part of the mountain. And unless I have all areas checked, I can’t get the five daily stars out of five anymore; tough cookie. I hate being the reason for a messy kitchen and so I’ll show myself some tough love, it’s for the best in the long run. Can anyone compete with an ongoing bacterial culture, by the way? I have one dish of it only, but it’s even more disgusting just because. Eww.

Lottielot, that bake looks delicious!

lottielot

Dh wanted something else so the salmon bake has to wait. I did make that squash chowder for myself though, it was yummy! I think if you added some chickpeas or something proteiny it’d be even better. I added a bit of celery too, as celery improves the flavour of all savoury dishes (fact). The apple and bacon gave it a lovely sweet/salt flavour, though I roasted the garlic in its skin, not minced as it would have burnt and tasted horrible. Perfect winter food, thanks ntch!

ninakk

Speaking of dates, this one sounds promising!
    http://zomtbakes.blogspot.com/2010/06/raw-natural-sweetener-date-syrup.html

lottielot, you can invite me over any time, I love sundried tomatoes if the hubby does not want your salmon thingy!

ninakk

This has rave reviews and I will try it but it is nowhere near dark enough for me to be eaten many times a week. Bread should contain lots of rye and be a super dark brown colour :)
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Bread-Machine-Bread/Detail.aspx

Edit: holy cow, just found a treasure trove of bread machine recipes! If they are any good I’ll translate them from Finnish.

lottielot

Ninakk: glad we’ve inspired you with your bread machine :)
    Sad to report, the pasta bake was actually not very nice at all :( Oh well, it’s good to experiment. Last night I found some chicken in the fridge which needed using up (dh will take a use by date literally, throwing away perfectly good veg but thinking the chicken he opened 2 days ago will keep till the use by date several days hence), so I marinated it in garlic, oil, lemon and soy and griddled it. Will have with a cucumber and yoghurt dip with chillies, Lebanese bread and rice cooked with the purple sprouting broccoli I just picked.
    Oh yeah, and I made the ricotta! Had some for lunch in a roll, very nice. Not quite as good as proper deli stuff but infinitely better than the stuff in the supermarket :) It’s a keeper!

http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/grain-free-almond-crackers.html

These almond crackers are delicious and a great non-carb substitute. I use a whole egg in place of just the egg whites. I suspect you could use flax seed flour as well. I’ve been experimenting with alternative flours and trying to avoid my nemesis and bane of my life, wheat flour. Oh, and sugar …

lottielot: shucks about the salmon bake.

My partner decluttered the crisper drawer… cut up and tossed all the veggies – onion, garlic, bell pepper, tomatoes and a zucchini – in a pan and sauteed them last night, then added some leftover browned ground chuck and some sweet basil/sundried tomato spaghetti sauce. Cooked a big pot of ziti then layered in a pan with handfuls of mozzarella, then baked it.

OMG. I forgot my diet and went back for seconds. I usually cook, and it was so nice to eat a dinner I hadn’t made myself.

candy

Does anyone have a good idea what to do with tinned tuna? Tuna salad, ok, but something else?

Mimi’s magic soup diet inspired me to plan a soup meal once a week. Tonight it’s a carton of chicken broth with chili & lime (a new line of flavored broths from the supermarket.) Added to it a sweet potato left over from a meal earlier in the week; some PB2 (powdered peanut butter with the fat stripped out), a big wodge of green beans from earlier in the week that were old and tough (but should be fine in soup)and the lone zucchini from the crisper bin. Plus a can of fired roasted diced tomatoes with garlic. About a cup of frozen fajita chicken that looked like it had freezer burn. Added a bit of minced ginger, and will finish it off with some lite coconut milk. Yum! Was going to make stir fry tonight, so might throw in the snow peas at the last minute too.

Jennifer

candy – I make tuna melts for dinner quite often, in fact I am having them tonight to use up a couple of crunchy rolls. Spread canned tuna on bread, roll, or whatever you want, topped with cheese of your choice and broiled in the oven or toaster oven until cheese melts and everything is hot.

You can make these, or something similar (Emeril has a knock ‘em dead Creole version, but I prefer Rachel’s laid back, simpler approach)..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/tuna-tetrazzini-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/renaissance-of-tuna-casserole-recipe/index.html

When I’m in a rush, I do packaged noodles in cream/butter/garlic/alfredo/pick one sauce and add some spices and then the tuna in the last 5 minutes of cooking and serve with hot breadsticks.

ninakk

We still have some tuna but I’ll try to convince hubby not to buy anymore of it and when we have sushi we never choose those with it anymore either, but I love me a nice tuna sandwich, have to admit. Tuna with mayo and dill, possibly capers too. Yum!

pkilmain

Lottie, looking at that salmon bake recipe, it seems to me that they are overcooking the pasta, i.e. 6 minutes, then 4 more with the broccoli! I’d cook the broccoli separately, pasta til it’s al dente, then put it all in the oven.

I have used canned/tinned tuna these ways:

1. If it’s canned in oil then just cook it with a rd onion sliced up and maybe a splash of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. You can have it over rice or w/ bread.

2. Drain oil/water and mix drained tuna with mayo, curry powder, a bit of mincemeat (Crosse & Blackwell), finely diced onion, celery and use it as a sandwich spread or topping on a tossed salad or even a dip for raw vegs.

3. If it’s canned in oil then just mix it with 3 or 4 eggs and make an omlette. You can add vegs and other things you like to it as well. Green onion is great in it.

4. Mix a tin, drained of oil or water, and combine it with a can of cream of mushroom soup (do not add the water) – heat and serve over toast or rice.

5. Canned tuna in oil: dump it all in a large skillet, add soy sauce and sugar and cook til mixed. Add in soy bean cast offs from making tofu (it might be called okara) and stir/cook. If you like you can add sliced green beans after mixing the tuna/soy sauce/sugar and cook til still crisp then add the soy bean cast offs/okara.

6. Tofu salad using tuna: lettuce, tofu, drained tuna (either water or oil), watercress and use the sesame dressing from costco – yummy – really. You can add any veg you like.

7. Pasta salad: cooked rotini, drained tuna (either water or oil), diced bell pepper, carrot slivers, olives. Toss with the sesame dressing from costco. let sit overnight – this is really impt. Really yummy!!!

candy

Wow, thanks for all the tips and ideas for what to do with canned tuna! I think I will be able to convert those 3 tins that I bought in a WWIT (what-was-I-thinking) moment to very delicious meals.

lottielot

Candy: the only way I like tinned tuna is in a toasted sandwich with cheese and spring onions.
    Tonight: I found a pack of samosa pastry in the freezer, think it would be a good way to use up a load of root veg from the cupboard and maybe some apple ones for the kids. Love samosa pastry :)

candy

I have now uncluttered various nuts (chopped to smaller pieces) and seeds into a roasted nut “müsli”. It is delicious with greek yoghurt and some strawberries from the freezer. Will try to start eating breakfast again.

lottielot

Yum, muesli is always nice :) Except my ds2 goes through a whole box and takes out all the dried fruit and nuts, leaving something a lot less appetising!
    Making the squash chowder again tonight, I love this dish!

Recipes for canned/tinned tuna from starkist and chicken of the sea and bumble bee:

http://www.starkist.com/recipe

http://www.starkist.com/search/apachesolr_search/

http://chickenofthesea.com/recipe_hitlist.aspx?ProductType=tuna

http://www.bumblebee.com/find-recipes?families%5B%5D=1&course=&diet=&keywords=Keyword%28s%29&includes=Including+Ingredients&exclude=Excluding+Ingredients

Never thought to think of this before so now I’ll have some new things to make with canned tuna. Always on the lookout for new easy things to make with food that’s convenient to keep in the pantry for those Justin Case times.

I threw the rotisserie chicken carcass and vegs, both fresh and frozen, and salt and ginger and water and a can of diced tom in the crockpot – experimenting – we’ll see if it comes out. I like to come home to the smell of crockpot stew or soup. So warming and wholesome. Celery, turnip, tom, okra, onions.

I made a kale, cilantro, lemon, ginger, cherry, blackberry, revital-x, wheat grass powder, orange juice smoothie for brunch to use up the kale. It was yummy tho could have used more cilantro.

djk

Mmmm love tuna of all varieties

Tonight I made a broth with Maultaschen for dinner. Later on for dessert we had espresso and a delicious and easy apple pie.

ninakk

does someone have a good müsli recipe or advice in general? i found one at the store which had considerably less sugar in it but it still sounds like quite a lot to me o reading this thread made me realise i might ake my very own mixture.

candy

I have a great recipe – but I’m struggling a bit when it comes to translating it into English. Would Swedish be OK for you? We could perhaps try to translate it together?

ninakk

just post it in swedish and i will help! great, that was quick!

candy

Here you go then, in Swedish (and I believe you could just adapt the amount of sugar to the level you want):

6 dl havregryn
    4 dl andra gryn t.ex. rågflingor
    2 dl kli
    1 dl vetegroddar
    2 dl solrosfrön eller nötter
    1 dl farinsocker
    1/3 tsk salt
    2/3 msk vanilj
    1 1/3 dl olja
    1 dl vatten

Blanda ihop allt det “torra”, häll i oljan, rör om, häll i vattnet, rör om tills allt är fuktigt. Rostas i 150°, omröres då och då, ca 30-40 min tills det är torrt.

ninakk

6 dl oat meal
    4 dl other “flakes” such as rye
    2 dl bran
    1 dl wheat germ
    2 dl sunflower seeds or nuts
    1 dl brown sugar (muscovado might work)
    1/3 teaspoon salt
    2/3 tablespoons vanilla (candy is this vanilla extract or vanilla sugar?)
    1 1/3 dl oil (probably rapeseed or such?)
    1 dl water

Mix all dry ingredients, add the oil, fold, add water, fold until everything is equally humid. Roast in 150 degC for 30-40 min until it is dry, while folding once in a while.

ninakk

sounds delicious!

candy

I’d say “rolled oats” rather than “oatmeal” but I’m not 100% sure of the difference. Anyway, “oat flakes”.

I use muscovado, that’s fine.

Vanilla… I’ve used vanilla sugar but vanilla extract/powder would probably be nicer.

Rapeseed oil is perfect.

And roast it for 30-40 minutes, 150 degrees Celcius.

Many thanks for the translation!!

candy

It is delicious! I usually use sunflower seeds instead of nuts. It’s good, and it’s probably much healthier than the granola you buy in stores.

ninakk

yes the oat went a bit silly, sorry.

added the directions to the recipe itself.

candy

Lovely, thanks again!

Date Nut Bread

http://foodforahungrysoul.blogspot.com/search/label/Quick%20Bread

Ultimate Brown Butter-Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

http://brokeassgourmet.com/articles/ultimate-brown-butter-pumpkin-mac-and-cheese

Mimi

i love a simply müsli with oat flakes and mixed dried fruits, such as banana chips, apple rings, berries, plums, apricots, raisins and/or dates, cuf into small pieces.

lottielot

I am in awe of the linguistic skills of the likes of ninakk, candy and Mimi :)

ninakk

haha :) our school system is quite demanding as far as languages goes; mother tongue, the other official language (finnish or swedish depending on which language group you belong to, I’m of the minority), english and usually german or french or russian. i began german in third grade, finnish in fifth, english in eighth and french in tenth. italian at the uni and danish in denmark. circumstances.

candy

Our school system is also rather demanding – or as I see it, gives plenty of opportunities. Swedish is my mother tongue, I’ve studied English since the age of 8 or 9, French since the age of 13 and also lived in France, studied German for just one year at the age of 16 but can read simple texts, it’s rather easily since German is quite similar to Swedish, and I’ve worked with a lot of Norwegian and Danish people and lived in Denmark for a while so those languages are quite OK for me as well to understand, although not to speak or write.

How to make deli quality sandwiches at home :P

http://kitchencookoff.msn.com/home/en-us/archive/all/11?wt.mc_id=delish

Conny

I have a bag of bulgur that expired last month. Must find a recipe to use it for something sweet. (thank goodness for search engines) One of the recipes says “one cup”, but does not say if i should pre-cook it first. Anyone know?

PJ

Hey Conny, not sure what the recipe would be intending. Bulgur doesn’t have a hugely long cooking time, but it’s a little longer than, say, couscous. I might be able to make a guess if you were to post the URL of the recipe and I could take a look at the directions.

Margarita Pizza by a 10 Year Old

http://insideabritishmumskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/margarita-pizza-by-10-year-old.html

About bulgur wheat – see

http://sunnylandmills.com/bulgur_wheat_about.shtml

Sweet and spicy roasted kabocha squash
    http://www.justhungry.com/sweet-and-spicy-roasted-kabocha-squash

I might try this one instead of pumpkin korma.

grey

http://sunnyandgrey.blogspot.com/2012/01/pizza-pizza.html

greek pizza – made this tonight to use up some veggies and it was delicious.

lottielot

Made raspberry and white chocolate oat muffins to use up some ingredients and for lunchboxes and healthy snacks. Added fat free yogurt I bought by accident (can’t stand the stuff). They look rather horrid (probably because I added half of the sugar as dark brown stuff and there are lots of raspberries in there) but they taste pretty good :)

Conny

Thanks @needtocleanhouse and PJ. Turns out it was a bag of millet that expired last month. (DH’s mistake) I made the usual casserole with it as a basis instead of using rice. Just had it. yumm… ( even if i say so myself )
    The bulgur is Ok till mid-June. But i looked at the website you provided. Interesting info – and bread recipies.

ninakk

lottielot, your muffins sound both delicious and ugly :D I’d love to taste one though, hahaha.

ninakk

Yum, just made these:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/312945/oatmeal-raisin-bars?center=276962&gallery=275494&slide=282216

Had two types of sugar and some raisins to declutter.

Edit: hmm, a bit sweet. Would fiddle with it next time as well as cut half the raisins in favour of cranberries or such.

I accidentally bought some frozen chicken strips (boneless, skinless – thought I grabbed the bag of full filets or cutlets).

Last night I threw a bunch of the frozen strips on a foil lined pan, slapped a 1/4 strip of bacon on each one, drizzled leftover Catalina sauce on top and stuck them in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.

Pulled them out, sprinkled Monterrey jack cheese leftover from Mexican night on top, and slapped it back in the oven for a few minutes along with some leftover garlic bread from Italian night. Tossed a big salad out of leftover greens, tomatoes, onion and boiled eggs with a little carrots, cabbage and radish. Made a little pot of buttery rice and we were good to go.

It was SO good we made it all over again tonight (had to grab some salad fixin’s from the store) -OMG good.

She says these taste like macaroons …

http://www.elanaspantry.com/

DM3: That chicken dish sounds :P

lottielot

Uncluttered some yorkshire puddings from the freezer as a snack for the kids! Making risotto for dh and I tonight, using up plenty of cupboard ingredients. The larder is looking alarmingly bereft of everything except stuff I have no desire to eat, ditto the fridge. Even I struggled to come up with an idea for dinner tonight…I really should just chuck a load of stuff out of the larder, too many half empty dubious packets.

lottielot

Dh is gloating about how little money he has spent on food so far in January. I told him that
    THAT IS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN COOKING EVERY TINY LITTLE SCRAP OF FOOD FROM THE LARDER AND FRIDGE, MOST OF WHICH I BOUGHT BEFORE JANUARY!! Jeez, the man is getting on my nerves…

mskris

Made a casserole the other night and decided we should have rolls with it – but I didn’t have any. So I looked around and spotted my dh’s beer bottle on the kitchen counter – aha! Beer bread! So easy to make and no fat! 3 cups self-rising flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 12 oz bottle/can of beer and voila! Bake for about 55 mins at 350 degrees and you have a crunchy crust, moist soft interior bread. Family loved it and you can add all kinds of things to vary the recipe (cheese, jalapenos, pretty much anything). I even used light beer!

mskris

Oh, and the casserole used leftover ham – 1 cup cooked rice, 2 cups chopped cooked ham, 1 bag frozen broccoli, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 can cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup. Mix it all up, put buttered breadcrumbs on top and bake for 1 hour at 325. Yum!

lottielot

Mskris: I like the sound of the beer bread, I’m going to give it a try some time! Your casserole sounds yummy, btw, I do something similar with chicken and tagliatelle, it’s delicious.
    I bought some kippers: dirt cheap and extremely healthy and yummy. However, I’m not sure whether I should have them by themselves or whether I may make fishcakes or something with them. May have a little flick through my books for ideas.

lottielot

I also bought smoked mackerel (clearly craving oily fish right now, lol). I made a delicious salad: crumbled mackerel, little rounds of crispy fried potatoes, sliced Jerusalem artichokes, winter salad leaves and a horseradish dressing. Mmmm, really yummy!

Gingerbread Blondies. I have this book. The English Kitchen says this recipe is to die for. I’ll have to try it!

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/gingerbread-blondies.html

Beef Stew with Sweet Root Vegetables
    http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/beef-stew-with-sweet-root-vegetables.html

This appeals to me as just the thing to warm me up on a cold day.

lucy1965

@lottie: And now I want smoked whitefish for my bagels. This means putting on actual trousers and leaving the house when it is -1°C. Thanks a lot, wench. ;-)

lottielot

Sorry, lucy, but I’m sure it’ll be worth it :)

Pasteles
    http://thenoshery.com/2011/12/20/pasteles-de-yucca/

I like pasteles and found this site with pictures and all of how to prepare them. It’s something that I’ll probably never make myself (look at the work involved) and I have a new appreciation for them now that I’ve seen the site. I’ll gladly fork over the $ to purchase them now that I’ve seen how much work they take to make.

WeightWatchesVegetableSoup

All you can eat on Weight Watchers.

Just found this site and it looks very good.

lottielot

I cooked roast chicken yesterday so thought I would do something different with the leftovers, so I made chicken rissoles (well, that’s what I named them anyway). Chopped up the chicken and mixed it with 2 eggs, mustard, breadcrumbs, chopped chilli, and some chopped herbs, combined with some onion, garlic and bacon bits cooked separately and then fried them in little patties. I only ate one so far (quality control) but it tasted pretty good. I made a pilaf and a yogurt and cucumber dip to go with it. Now waiting hungrily for dh to come home so I can eat!

Original Nestlé Raisinets Cookies

I have a big costco jar of choc covered raisins i need to declutter and fast.

Anyone have any good bar recipes for them? I’m thinking of substituting them for the choc chips in butterscotch bars.

Panfried Linefish with a Light Chive, Garlic & Yoghurt Sauce

http://whatsforsupper-juno.blogspot.com/2012/01/panfried-linefish-with-light-chive.html

pkilmain

I use a very similar sauce for salmon – and it’s yummy!

sleepykitten

@mskris – I’ve never heard of beer bread, but that sounds awesome! I’m definitely going to try it sometime.

lottielot

Bought 2kilos of rice at the local Asian shop for what I pay for 500g at the supermarket, and it’s on the route home from school :)
    Cooked pork escalopes tossed in curry powder, cumin and turmeric, with a beetroot yoghurt dip (dh hated it, but tough), and rice with a bit of saffron and cardamom pods. I love this pork dish: it’s so quick and easy but yummy! Toss some very thinly sliced pork in the spices and fry in a bit of hot oil for a few minutes each side. Yum. And there are 2 bits of pork left to cook for lunch tomorrow :)
    Last night I cooked the kippers plain as we didn’t have enough potatoes for fishcakes. I did it with pommes dauphinoise (mmmm) and lots of cabbage, kale and broccoli. Dh declared it ‘weird’ but again, tough! I thought it was a great combination and was easy to cook because the potatoes take about 2 hours so it’s a bit of prep followed by a big break, followed by a bit of last minute stuff. And dh turned up from work an hour later than usual with no phone call, so he was lucky to get anything!

bandicoot

we are on day two of a detox reboot cleanse thing.
    no coffee and the headaches have been epic.
    no sugar, no dairy, no booze, no meat., no wheat…basically a raw vegan time, but nobody will die if we cook some beans.
    i have been making green smoothies (banana, raspberries, baby spinach, almond milk, water, ice, cinnamon) and we eat chopped fruit with a drizzle of almond milk.
    i made fruit and nut balls in my new food processor: dried cherries, dates, prunes, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews, walnuts, clover honey, cinnamon.
    whizzed all that to a gritty paste, then rolled it into small balls and refrigerated. delicious with a cup of detox tea.
    we’ve got hummus with added almond pulp, nut and seed butter, and an army of vegetables to dip into both.
    for dinner it was marinated fried tofu triangles on a crunchy salad of : cabbage, cauli, carrot, celery, onion, cannelini beans, red pepper with a truly amazing dressing…i threw a whole half a lemon into the vitamix, together with handfuls of fresh herbs, a little vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper.
    the dressing was bright green with a subtle bitter bite from the lemon pith and peel. me likey.

Ella

bandicoot: I’m curious to know what’s the very first thing you eat or drink in the morning?

Pineapple Orange Chia Spinach Smoothie

http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/pineapple-orange-chia-spinach-smoothie.html

sleepykitten

Wow…that smoothie looks delicious. I wish I could wake up early enough to make myself a proper breakfast in the morning. I already have to wake up at 5:20-ish and it is all I can handle to throw a breakfast bar in my bag for when I get to the office. But I would love to be drinking smoothies!

lottielot

5.20: gulp! No wonder your screen name is sleepy kitten! Could you make a smoothie the night before?
    Last night was roast chicken and salady stuff, tonight a pie with the leftovers, maybe a white sauce as part of the filling, we have lots of milk to use up.

chacha1

I get an organic produce box every two weeks and this past week got one with (among other things) cabbage, radishes, and gorgeous trumpet mushrooms. I chopped them up and cooked them all together, finishing with uncured bacon, a little cream, and blue cheese.

candy

Uncluttered some shrimps and smoked salmon from the freezer into a pasta sauce with some cream and half an onion that was just taking up space in the fridge. Delicious.

bandicoot

ella…my husband usually brings me a cup of herbal detox tea in bed.
    then some chopped fruit.
    then i make green smoothies for us both.

this is day 8 and neither of us has deviated a whisker from the plan.
    we are full, we feel great, the food is lovely.

sleepykitten

@lottielot – I just revisited this thread and just now saw your comment! :) Yes, I am a sleepy, sleepy kitten. But actually, your idea of making a smoothie the night before might actually work – I’ve never tried, so I don’t know how well they would hold up. But it’s worth an experimental run maybe this weekend.

MMMMM — figs! In September we had an event at work for which we bought 25 lbs. of dried Calimyrna figs, which ended up being WAAAY to many. I took a five lb. box home, and a little more than 3 lbs. remains after DH picked at it. MMMM figs (didn’t I say that already?)

We have an event Sunday, so I decided to re-purpose the remainder for the potluck afterwards. In the oven now are mini fig cheesecakes — a layer of graham cracker and pecan crust, a layer of ground figs with caramel and orange juice, a layer of cheese cake, embellished with a squiggle of caramel — oh my, they look good! The rest are going into chocolate-almond-fig bark. Too, too decadent. Everyone will be thrilled and it moves a biggish box out of the fridge.

candy

Susan, I’m drooling, my keyboard is all gooey. Please stop describing things like that!! :)

lottielot

Mmm, a fresh fig is one of the yummiest things in life! When they’re in season in september I buy lots and eat them till I feel sick :)
    January’s spending freeze is officially over, I can shop for normal food again :)

sleepykitten

Count me in among the fresh fig lovers!

To follow up on smoothie-making…some online searching suggests that the way to do it is to assemble the smoothie (chop everything up) and keep in the fridge overnight. Then you just have to zap the blender for a minute in the morning and ta da! Sounds like if you actually blend the night before, you will end up with something of a nasty mess….

candy

I just uncluttered some tired-looking limes from the fridge and a box of strawberries from the freezer into what could have been a very healthy smoothie, had I not decided to add some vodka and cointreau to it. Oh well, I guess I’ll just take my glass and shuffle off to the “nice thing” thread… because it is very nice indeed!

Kiku apples – http://eatlikenoone.hubpages.com/hub/The-Newest-Apples-to-Hit-the-Market says:

“If you are looking for an apple that is really sweet without being tart, then Kiku is a good choice. It’s a sweeter version of a Fuji. It would make a great choice for making applesauce that wouldn’t need any additional sugar.”

My girlfriend says they are delish so I picked some up for us last night and I have them in the refrig waiting for me to try … today …

and Chicken, avocado and peach salsa quesadillas ( I did something similar before seeing this recipe, but without the tortillas, a whole avocado and fresh tom and bacon bits and blue cheese)

http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2012/01/grilled-chicken-avocado-and-peach-salsa-quesadilla-recipe.html#more

Still working on the figs (all gone now!) Made two batches of fig/almond/chocolate bark with a light dusting of sea salt. Am in the process of making fig, golden raisin, date and walnut filling in a half-moon shaped cream cheese pastry, dusted with powdered sugar. (Waiting for the pastry to chill.) Oh yum! Add that to the fig cheesecakes and I am the figgy queen! Also used up some crystallized honey in the cookie filling.

lottielot

Mmm, the fig recipes sound good! As does candy’s cocktail :)
    Sleepykitten: that sounds like an excellent plan. You could even chop it all up and put it in the blender and pop it in the fridge overnight.
    Made banana bread last night, well ds2 did most if it and I supervised. Teaching kids how to break eggs is difficult!

Another fig lover here! I like them peeled, quartered with cream … mmmmmmmmm I’ll take canned or dried ones as well :P I like that little crunch it gives not to mention the sweet delicate flavor of green colored ones. Ambrosia.

We originally planned to get fresh figs for our event in September but were worried that if something made us postpone we would have a ton of rotting figs on hand. We do have a fig tree in the front lawn at work — in season, I always grab a handful. We got the dried calimyrna figs from a restaurant supplier — they were still moist and juicy and ooh, so sweet! This “use it up” project has really increased my fig repertoire.

I am craving waffles this morning and when I came across this picture and recipe – oh my – ginger and waffles – something I’ve been wanting to try.

http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2012/01/gingerbread-waffles-recipe.html

PS susanintexas, I grow figs too – usually to feed the birds with …

GRATED RAW BEET SALAD

http://www.kitchencorners.com/2012/01/grated-raw-beet-salad-day-6-of-31-days.html

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2011/06/chicken-in-mushroom-sauce.html

Gluten free in Paris
    Helmut Newcake, Gluten-Free Bakery in Paris

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/02/helmut-newcake-gluten-free-bakery-in-paris/

I have had waffles on my mind for a bit now – it’ll pass eventually, tho it may be after I make or go out and have some – I have 2 coffee shops in mind, one i know has great waffles and the other is advertising ginger ones … maybe this weekend …

SUPER BOWL IDEAS

http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/buffalo-chicken-potato-skins.htmlAnd for lots of ideas see: http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/01/super-bowl-snacks.html

And my HP had these waffles (the top pic) on my good for me list. The store was out of them so I picked up another one that was on the list but less good (the second pic):

http://www.vansfoods.com/The_Goods/#/Waffles

And while I don’t understand it, it being whatever my HP is doing, my shoulder ache of the past years has gone away. I figured that I’d satisfy my craving with something HP says is good for me … .hee.hee. … HP as excuse … maybe even a good one …

I have a tub of spinach so I’m thinking spinach quiche to gift away. Smitten Kitchen is always delightful.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/spinach-quiche-revisited/

What’s on the menu for super bowl Sunday?

TONY ROMA RIBS

liag

ntch: you’re such a foodie! I am going to be sure to read and drool at pix of all your posts to help me gain back the anxiety weight I’ve dropped. {:o)

irishbell

Dh is making his famous ribs for super bowl party tomorrow.
    love them. Mango peach salsa also is fab- I’ve only ever bought it- mrs. renfro- but homemade
    would surely be better!

candy

I am slowly decluttering my freezer, so today it will be beef fajitas. Homemade guacamole and tomato salsa with that. I forgot to buy cilantro, but I’ll just have to live without it. There is no way I’m going out again in this cold!

I should probably take the opportunity to defrost my freezer, given the fact that the temperature on the balcony is more or less the same as in the freezer. Maybe tomorrow. It would be a nice change to defrost the freezer _before_ it gets completely covered in ice and almost impossible to use.

lottielot

I ate the crab yesterday with the pasta and cherry tomatoes. It was nice, but probably nicer without the crab :) I won’t be buying it again!
    Candy: what an excellent idea! I may do that tomorrow, my freezer is mostly empty, but is covered in ice and I can’t even put one of the drawers back in. Plus I’m getting rid of most of the currants into jam this weekend, so that will be even more out. I absolutely loathe defrosting my freezer, it takes all day and floods the kitchen no matter how careful I am.

clutterbug22

Just checked out the ‘closet cooking’ web-site, some scrummy recipes, what a talented guy!

djk

Made delish chicken mole for dinner.

Also made Greek yoghurt today for the week–yum!

And not for food, but related–made “wood butter” to pamper those wooden spoons, cutting boards, and butcher block.

A few months ago DH picked up a huge rack of spareribs, on sale. He claimed it would take 20 minutes to cook on the grill; I disagreed and showed him the label that indicated about 3 hours. Oops. We didn’t have time to cook it then, so I just popped it in the freezer where it was taking up huge amounts of space.

I defrosted it today and told him it was rib day. He had the grill turned up too high and burned them to a crisp. Little charcoal briquettes of rib. Oh well. At least they are gone from the freezer :)

djk — mole — yum. And how do you make wood butter?

susanintexas: Sounds like a way to help stick to the point plan. I notice he often ruins or breaks things after being asked to do them and I’m wondering if this is a passive aggressive thing?

NTCH; I’m not a great rib fan, so I wasn’t terribly disappointed. He LIKES ribs. I think he just forgot they were on the grill and had it turned up a bit high. So we had green beans, salad and a baked sweet potato for dinner :) But you are correct — if the circumstances were different, I might have suspected sabotage.

liag, pour vous ;)

Pork Tenderloin served on a bed of baby spinach with a light mustard sauce
    and Parisienne Potatoes

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2012/02/pork-tenderloin.html

liag

Ooh la la!

djk

Susan–I saw wood butter first on Pinterest. It’s from http://www.creative-culinary.com/wood-butter-helps-renew-wood-utensils-and-bowls
    I tried it out this morning and it works well. It’s simply beeswax and mineral oil melted together. To apply just scoop a bit and rub with a soft cloth.
    I just made a small sample batch but I’ll make it as housewarming gifts in future.

bandicoot

with my fridge on the semi-blink, i was forced to use up some fragile greens in a hurry.
    veggie burgers to the rescue….brown rice, chickpeas, oats, onions, garlic, flax and chia to bind it all together, cumin, chilli, herbs, curry, mung sprouts, baby spinach, mushrooms, carrots, sunflower sprouts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
    all very delicious and will last a couple more days in the bar fridge (that we bought in desperation the last time the fridge went on the blink).
    i swear to god, if it is going to be expensive, i am buying a new fridge next week.
    the thing is barely 7 years old!

liag

Bandicoot: don’t get a GE Profile: inadequate shelf width, breaking parts–even though I have been totally pleased with other GE products. Last fridge was an Amana, and it lives on in our last home.

djk: thanks! I will have to try that.

Orange Grape Banana Kale Smoothie
    http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/02/orange-grape-banana-kale-smoothie.html

This blogger understands kale smoothies.

bandicoot

ntch, i know this sounds insane….but we cannot get kale here for love nor money.
    it is like nobody has ever heard of it!
    i make a similar smoothie, but i use baby spinach and sprouts….and a whole orange with half the peel removed.
    the vitamix blends it all to liquid….and we are in love with green smoothies now.

on the upside we do get a lot of asian vegetables and tropical fruits very readily.

lottielot

Bandicoot: kale is a winter vegetable so I doubt you’d ever get it, I’m picking mine in the snow right now! I like mine cooked though, with a dab of butter and a squeeze of lemon.
    Any ideas for a whole chicken? I bought it on Friday but then MIL cooked roast chicken on Saturday, we had pot roast chicken last week, dh is getting a bit bored of chicken I think! I did find one recipe he may like:
    http://www.recipeguy.co.uk/indian-whole-chicken-recipe/
    but would welcome other suggestions! I’m super busy tomorrow so was thinking I could cook this today and have it cold or reheat tomorrow. Tonight we’re having leftover beef fillet and I’ll make a few salads to go with it. Beetroot will feature as I have loads of it!

bandicoot

all i ever do with a whole chicken is stuff it with lemons, fresh herbs and loads of garlic, then roast it with yards of vegetables around it.

makes sense about the kale.
    i remember seeing decorative kale in the snow in seoul a couple of years ago and marvelling that anything could be alive in those conditions.

lottielot

Yep, it still amazes me! I love kale :)
    Yummy lunch of leftover pasta and peas the boys didn’t finish yesterday, enlivened with those yummy piquant peppers from a jar and a dressing with lots of mustard. Would’ve been even better with some fresh herbs but we don’t have any right now. And an omelette with spring onions as the eggs just expired and dh was trying to throw them out even though they’re fine!

Nigel Slater’s Chicken Curry
    http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2012/02/nigel-slaters-chicken-curry.html

I AM going to make a winner curry …

Anyone with good and simple recipes???

Kale can grow in the tropics as well:

http://www.gardenate.com/plant/Kale?page=2&zone=4
    http://www.gardengrow.co.nz/plant/Kale?zone=7
    http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1796371.htm

I’ve seen beautiful kale used as an ornamental plant growing on snow covered street walkways in NYC – absolutely beautiful. Some sites on the internet say it needs cool weather, but I’ve seen pictures of it growing in tropical places, including pictures in the links above. I understand it’s easy to grow. I’ll have to try my hand at it. I may even have some Justin Case kale seeds among the bunch of Justin Case seeds I picked up a while ago and never got around to planting. I like that idea: growing my own kale. I once grew okra – it was easy to grow and fun. It’s part of the hibiscus family and the flowers were pretty. Then one by one they would turn into okra which I would harvest one or two at a time while they were young and tender; then when I had enough I would cook them up. Yum :P – fresh okra. I know, not a good thought for everyone. I happen to like okra though. One of my favorites.

Whole chicken – only thing I know is roast with stuffing – but if you want an idea for left overs, I’ve been doing a curried chicken salad w/ mayo, mincemeat (or you could use raisins, grapes, apples), celery, water chestnuts, and a nice curry mix.

PS Oooh, just looked at the recipe guy and that recipe for chicken looks scruptious – drool worthy. If you try it please let us know how it is. :)

I love eggs and just came across these great ways to cook them. So far I’d like to try the baked eggs.

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/554327-the-20-best-ways-to-use-eggs/?utm_source=articlebottom&utm_medium=1#slide-18

Lottie: some suggestions:

In Palestinian homes, upsidedown chicken is often the specialty. Love it! Bit of trouble, but great fun and very tasty: http://www.food.com/recipe/upside-down-maqloobeh-87832

And in Texas, beer butt chicken: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-surreal-gourmet/beer-can-chicken-recipe/index.html

Probably — oh– a year or more ago I bought some frozen mango pulp. All this talk of smoothies — I whacked off a hunk and made me a mango chocolate smoothie with almond milk. Yum yum yum! Fresh mangoes are such a pain — I always cover myself in mango juice and feel sticky. This was easy! They have papaya pulp too — might get some of that next time.

pkilmain

Lol, Susan. I made a mango lassi for DH while in Hawaii. He loved it, but it ended up being a real mess as the blender blade was not properly seated and I had a hige mess on the counter. I’ll look for the frozen pulp next time I’m in Anchorage. There’s an international supermarket there.

pkilmain

Lol, Susan. I made a mango lassi for DH while in Hawaii. He loved it, but it ended up being a real mess as the blender blade was not properly seated and I had a hige mess on the counter. I’ll look for the frozen pulp next time I’m in Anchorage. There’s an international supermarket there.

bandicoot

thanks for the links ntch!
    i just called my local nursery and she will have well-established seedlings at the end of the month.
    yippee!
    i am dying to try kale chips!

bandicoot

yes, fresh mangoes are a mess.
    best eaten at dusk, waist deep in warm tropical sea water!

lottielot

Beetroot went into ds2′s juice instead as dh came home early. I did a nice lettuce and mushroom salad just for me though, the rest of the family hates mushrooms. And I did one of our staples: avocado, tomato and mozzarella, yum. Dh had made a potato salad on Sunday and I improved the leftovers by adding yogurt to the mayonnaise (just mayonnaise makes it greasy, yuck), adding spring onion and mustard. Much better. I have mint (dormant obviously) at the allotment and I was wondering if I could dig some up and pop it into a propagator to make it grow on my windowsill. The local shop sells coriander but I fancy some mint, and those supermarket pots are usually dead in a week.
    I marinated the chicken overnight and added some chunks of pepper and onion and coriander instead of mint and will stick it in the oven some time between my late afternoon seminar, picking up the kids from afterschool club, going to give blood and taking the kids to karate. I told dh he has to make rice to go with it as I’m not capable of miracles, this is when a rice cooker would be handy. Will report back!

candy

I am working on reducing the quantity of various food stuff in my kitchen and find a comfortable list of basics that I can make into various dishes. I am finding that very often the less ingredients, the better the food tastes – based upon only good quality basic food, of course, no processed stuff (or very very little of it, as in various condiments) or poor quality ingredients. Interesting. I shouldn’t be surprised, actually.

candy

So… tonight I’m making a pasta sauce based on salsiccia. I take the meat out of the salsiccia sausages and chop it into small pieces, fry in its own fat with some garlic, add a dash of red wine, some freshly ground pepper and some fresh, finely chopped tomatoes. Let that simmer for 10-15 minutes, turn off the heat, add fresh basilic leaves. Serve with pasta and some parmesan cheese. And a glass of red wine. Aaaaand… *drumroll* leftovers for lunch tomorrow! Yay.

candy

OK – a doubt: would you consider a salsiccia sausage “processed food”?

lottielot

The chicken was really yummy! Easy too :)

lottielot

Um, candy, have no idea what it is!

candy

lottielot, salsiccia is an Italian fresh pork sausage, absolutely delicious. I use the sausage meat as ground meat to make a pasta sauce, or I grill it on the barbecue in summer and serve with a salad. So, the question is: is sausage to be considered as processed food? I suppose that depends on what is in the sausage, if it’s just meat and spices or if there’s a lot of “strange” stuff added to it?

candy

lottielot, I checked out the chicken recipe, I may try that some day – but not with a whole chicken, I love chicken but I don’t want to eat leftovers for a week :)

Today: just heard about it and had the ingredients so tried my hand at making a dirty chai off the starbucks secret menu: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/02/07/12-more-drinks-on-starbucks-secret-menu/?intcmp=features

And it’s yummy. Maxwell House International Cafe has a good chai latte powder.

http://www.kraftbrands.com/maxwellhousecoffee/our-brews/international-cafe/Pages/Default.aspx

So I mixed it with strong cold brew coffee I’d made the other day. It is a nice treat. Had a HP says is good for me waffle with it as well.

Homemade sausage = not processed; sausage commercially made with preservatives in it would make it processed food. If your butcher or restaurant makes it fresh w/out additives then it’s unprocessed. My grandfather made homemade sausage once, even got the casings, and smoked it – yum. Italian sausage is easy to make – pork butt (ground or food processed), sea salt, oregano, optional red pepper fresh or flakes. I learned how to make it from an Italian man who played in a big swing band. When I make it I don’t use casings, I just shape it into the shape I want or just shape and cook it the same way I would hamburger. I like it in spaghetti sauce. I guess it’s pretty simple to do but not something we who go to the store to purchase sausages would even think of doing. I never had until he told me about it. Oh, you can make Italian sausage???

lottielot: thanks for letting us know the chicken was yummy :P

candy

ntch, thanks – I’ll check the ingredients list next time I want to buy salsiccia. I am so very much in love with this as a base for pasta sauce so I think I’ll buy it anyway, if it’s not filled with too much strange stuff. There’s actually a butcher’s shop here in Stockholm which makes its own sausages (a BRITISH sausage maker, nonetheless) and I will check out what they can offer as well. They have all sorts of sausages which sound very yummy. Check out this list: http://www.taylors.se/2009sausage.html

lottielot

Candy: that is weird, a British sausagemaker in Stockholm! I like good sausages if I’m in the mood and someone else has cooked them :) By the way, dh’s verdict was that the chicken wasn’t spicy enough, maybe a small chilli may enhance it. The recipe would be fine with legs instead, and the pepper and onion definitely enhanced it.

candy

Ah – more chilli. Noted for further reference :)

bandicoot

if you are going to pull the sausage out of it’s casings, then why not try making the salsiccia mix from scratch, and cutting out the middleman.
    http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/recipes/display/recipe_id/722/
    there are other recipes online.

candy

bandicoot, I’m too lazy :)

pkilmain

Candy, I can buy Italian sausage without casings just the same as you would hamburger (or mince for you UK gals). I can get sweet or hot. Love it in lasagne or ravioli sauce.

bandicoot

candy, you are hilarious!
    i am sure you aren’t too lazy at all.
    i just forget that not everyone likes to spend hoooouuuurrrrrssss in the kitchen every day, like i do.

but seriously, the sausage mix is just pork mince with seasonings.
    the hard part is getting it into the casings, and you aren’t needing that step anyway.

Mimi

yes candy, i´d like to second bandicoot. just buy a bit meat, cut it in pieces and throw it in the food processor/ blender and add some herbs. the process needs one minute, or two… i never buy minced meat because i am skeptic about the ingrediences and it´s so easy to DIY.

ninakk

I just made my morning müsli by combining various recipes and the list of contents of my current, store-bought kind. I’ve never tasted müsli as delicious as this one!

1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1/2 cup flax seeds
    1/2 cup pepitas
    1/2 cup oat bran
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    1/2 cup wheat bran
    1 cup raisins
    1 cup almonds
    4 cups oat flakes (rolled oats)

Turns out I had all ingredients at home except for the brans and germs, how about that! I’ll also add dried apricots and dates once I’ve located them and chopped them up. Scoop up and pour milk over, voilà!

lottielot

Lovely, ninakk! My mum used to make home made muesli and it was delicious. Probably much cheaper than bought muesli too :) I eat porridge most of the year, but when it’s warm I switch to muesli, I’m going to make my own this year. The supermarkets don’t sell all the ingredients so I’ll have to find a health food store for some of them, like wheatgerm. I used to be able to buy it at my usual supermarket (very handy for adding to bread, cakes etc for extra nutrients), but they stopped selling it.
    The chicken leftovers (sauce and chicken) were turned into a slightly different curry with a tomato base and some extra vegetables and spices. Also yummy!

Chicken Korma
    http://rasamalaysia.com/chicken-korma/2/
    http://rasamalaysia.com/chicken-korma/

Speaking of chicken and yogurt. I like lamb best myself. BTW, the rogan josh (w/ lamb) came out delish! It was the first time I’d marinated something in yogurt and it came out so soft and tender and yummy.

lottielot

I’m getting hungry again now, ntch! I don’t usually like lamb but my dh does a lovely shoulder of lamb on the barbecue, not sure which marinade he uses. He also made a lovely lamb curry last year from this book http://www.anjumanand.co.uk/books-new-indian-food-recipes/indian-food-made-easy/

Simply Great Chicken

http://foodforahungrysoul.blogspot.com/2009/10/simply-great-chicken.html

ninakk

ntch, have you made any of those recipes yet? are they delicious? would be nice to hear reviews too!

I’m going to add more rolled oats to the müsli recipe; there’s not enough amidst all the other ingredients. Next time I might also decrease the almonds by half.

lottielot

Made orange muffins, waiting for them to cool but the mix which I scraped from the bowl was yummy! 2 cake sales at school tomorrow so I may take some to one of them (if I don’t eat them all first!)

lottielot

Mmmm, just ate one, really scrumptious!!
    http://www.food.com/recipe/fresh-orange-muffins-14325
    Blooming US measures which I couldn’t be bothered to translate, so I guesstimated most of them.

ninakk

lottielot, I’d offer allrecipes.com with their metric conversion but you have to insist on being difficult with your imperial system.

lottielot

Ninakk: most UK recipes use metric measures! They usually call for weighing ingredients or measuring volume in millilitres, rather than using cups, much more accurate. Trying to measure half a cup of melted butter is impossible: weighing the butter then melting it is much more sensible.

lottielot

Oh yes, and they are disappearing at an alarming rate, I may need to make another batch for the cake sale!

ninakk

what’s the deal with measuring cups of butter anyway? i always picture people stuffing a cup full of coldish butter… it’s easier to go with 1 stick = 113 g; thank god for kitchen scales!

ninakk

LOL haha, so you’re supposed to melt it first!? but how on earth do you know how much to melt before measuring?

lottielot

EXACTLY!!!

ninakk

ahhaa, yeah I see the dilemma. Imagine doing that in your lab, lottie, and me in mine. All those expensive enzymes, yikes.

pkilmain

LOL – when baking, I usually weigh my ingredients as well. I have a food scale (manual, not electronic) that weighs both ounces and grams. But butter, I never thought of weighing it, since here the sticks are wrapped in paper with the measurement markings printed on it. I just hack off the appropriate amount, then melt. Nice to know the grams though Nina!

liag

Just discovered the Misto to turn regular olive oil to a spray. Economical and healthful.

bandicoot

homemade muesli is the only way to go.
    you can tweak it exactly to your taste and requirements.
    i tend to add cinnamon to everything like that… so good for regulating blood sugar, as well as being delicious.

Event this Sunday in Paris :)

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/02/david-lebovitz-paris-pastry-la-cuisine-event/

And Salade Nicoise from David Lebovitz’s site:

ninakk

ah ha, bandicoot! That’s why there was a teaspoon of cinnamon in one recipe. Will add it while I still have a chance.

ninakk

ntch, that salad looks super delicious!

candy

I agree with ninakk, that salad looks absolutely wonderful!

Tonight I’ll try my raclette grill for the first time, I managed to find some raclette cheese in my local supermarket. Excited!!

ninakk

I never said anything, but I have a raclette machine at home too. It’s divine and so easy during the winter months, too. Just open a few condiments and slice up your cheese, turn heat up, tadaa. Which are your fave accessories, candy? Mine are fresh tomatoes, potatoes, pearl onion (? syltlök), pickled mini cucumbers, and something I forget. And ground black pepper on top.

candy

Same here, ninakk, except for the fresh tomatoes which I’ve never tried. I might try that today. I’m not too keen on the small pickled onions, but I absolutely love the cornichons (mini cucumbers).

lottielot

Liag: I find those oil sprays always seem to clog up after a bit…
    The muffins never made it to the cake sale, ah well *rubs tummy*. the cakes being sold were all covered in icing and other junk, mine wouldn’t have sold anyway! Tonight I’m eating all the vegetables that dh doesn’t like :)

liag

The one I use, though, is one you fill yourself. It hasn’t yet clogged.

candy

lottielot: I have bookmarked the muffins recipe, will try it when I get an urge to bake (which rarely happens, admittedly, but who knows…)

The raclette was OK, but I think I will have to look around a bit for more interesting raclette cheese. This one didn’t taste (or smell) very much. I also overestimated the quantity of potatoes needed, but that’s fine, they will go in an omelette tomorrow.

For us beef eaters – Steak Diane – I had a wonderful one in London.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/steak-diane.html

A lottielot muffin and coffee for dessert.

Astreja

As I write this, I’m attempting to make some fish broth as the base for a Hungarian cabbage soup that I had in a restaurant over 30 years ago.

So far, I’ve purchased some whole frozen perch; put one of the fish in a pot of water with a bay leaf, thyme, celery salt, onion and carrot; and, as the fish cooked, removed a few chunks to feed the horde of cats that was hovering nearby and mewing excitedly. The broken-up fish is now simmering in the broth and will be strained in an hour or so.

Still to come: Hot peppers, cabbage, garlic and maybe some jerk seasoning just in case.

sleepykitten

@Astreja – Good luck! I’ll sometimes try to replicate “long lost dishes” from restaurants that have either closed or are too far away to visit. I’m not usually successful in the replication, but sometimes I end up with a semi-improvisational dish that I like in a different way.

djk

got some chicken stock simmmering on the stove, and it smells incredible. My idea is to drink it as a broth rather than making a true stock. I’ve got ginger in there. Yummy.

tried my hand tonight at a homemade teriyaki sauce. DH forgot to pick some up today and through the glorious magic that is google I found a ton of easy recipes with ingredients we have on hand, and the best thing is I can replace the sugar with sweetener for fewer calories and carbs.

It’s teriyaki chicken wraps for dinner. I am getting hungry.

lottielot

That sounds yummy, djk!
    I ate dinner early and have had a vegetable binge. Made parsnip and apple fritters for the freezer, bet the kids don’t eat them but ds2 may as he likes both ingredients. God I hate fussy kids! Then I boiled some beetroot to stash in the freezer, thanks to pkilmain for the tip. And I made for dinner tonight roasted vegetables with spring greens and Puy lentils with lemon juice and little bits of feta cheese. Bit full now, yummy though!

Had broiled sirloin steak for dinner, with diet Coke.

Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/filet_mignon_with_red_wine_sauce/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+elise%2Fsimplyrecipes+%28Simply+Recipes%29

These Ling Ling Potstickers from the frozen section of COSTCO are very delicious. I got a bag today and will have some maybe tomorrow or later in the week and use the red vinegar and chile/garlic paste I just picked up yesterday. I have some rotisserie chicken soup stock with chunks of turnip which I’ll use to boil the potstickers in and make a sort of potsticker/wonton soup. I’m used to the pork ones, but there were only chicken ones today so I’ll try them out. Anything goes well with the red vinegar and chile/garlic paste. Actually, I like the sauce best of all. It’s the main reason I like dim sum ;)

http://www.ling-ling.com/products/potstickers/

Also very delicious from Costco (if you like sweet sesame seed asian dressing) – great for Chinese chicken salad or a pasta salad – use this instead of italian dressing and let it sit overnight – yum!:

http://www.ffte.com/ccs.html

And the best teriyaki sauce, also from Costco, Yoshida brand:

There you have it, all the secrets of [my] good cooking …

PARMESAN AND TOMATO BAKED EGG WITH TOAST SOLDIERS
    http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2012/02/parmesan-and-tomato-baked-egg-and-toast-soldiers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FOlvyH+%28For+the+Love+of+Cooking%29

This looks easy and quick and tasty if you like eggs. I am going to have to try making baked eggs.

This is the type I have.

I’m still on the way to making some – http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/waffle-recipe

Anyone have a fool proof recipe?

chacha1

Just had to update and let our Down Under friends know I did the pavlova! And it was fabulous. http://www.ombailamos.com

bandicoot

omg chacha, that pav looks perfect!
    i bet they all fell upon it with glad cries!

i experimented yesterday with some lacto fermentation.
    i made nut cheese.
    i have just removed the cover and put it in the fridge…..it has had about 16 hours to get moving and it has puffed up like an airy sourdough.
    i used macadamias and cashews, some kimchi and juice (as my live starter), a couple sheets of nori (to feed minerals to the starter), a couple handfuls of shredded coconut ( unsweetened, to provide some cheesy body to the mix).
    this weird combination of ingredients has made a tangy cheesy spreadable cheese with a really delicious flavour.
    i like eating dulse flakes on a fresh young coconut, so maybe i am already tuned to the coconut seaweed lavour.
    anyway, it is nice to add something to my raw vegan repertoire.

irishbell

Chacha- that looks super fab, tell me, how do you eat it?
    Cut with a knife, break off pieces, or how exactly?

Decluttered some filipino coconut square thingy into a sort of halo halo frozen dessert. Mine looks just white but here’s a picture of a magnificent looking version with ube ice cream an all! I’ve yet to try ube ice cream – it’s on the bucket list though.

Next on the slow cooker project list:

slow cooker Indian-spiced butternut squash

http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2011/04/recipe-for-slow-cooker-indian-spiced-butternut-squash.html

bandicoot

i ate a halo-halo that looked exactly like that photo in the philippines one time.
    it was delicious.
    i had great plans to duplicate it at home, so i lugged an ice shaver all the way home, via hong kong.
    of course it was one of my very first decluttering items a couple of years later!

liag

Beautiful, colorful creations.

chacha1

@irishbell, we sliced it like a pizza (but with a long chef’s knife) and it served up beautifully to eat with a fork. The base was nearly an inch thick, crispy on top and bottom with marshmallowy meringue inside. DH said he could have eaten the whole thing the first night. :-)

@bandicoot – thanks! yes, there were some glad cries. Our Aussie friends had not had one ever in the U.S.

djk

Netleigh–you asked in another thread about Spätzle, and DH kindly wrote up his recipe for us:
    Spätzle, the Swabian way

Serves 4:

400g flour (finely ground)
    4 eggs
    1 tsp salt
    Nutmeg
    About ¼ liter of warm water (some use warm milk)
    A big pot of boiling salt water (about 2 liters)
    Some butter

Mix flour, salt, nutmeg and eggs in a big bowl, slowly add warm water while briskly stirring the dough with a spoon. This step takes a while. The dough should run very smoothly off the spoon.  If it doesn’t, add water or flour as needed (it should be a bit thicker than pancake batter).

Let it sit for 15 minutes.

Have the salt water at a full rolling boil. Either you have a Spätzlehobel to create these little spätzle lumps or you scrape the dough with a knife from a flat wooden board or something similar, piece by piece into the boiling water. As soon as  the Spätzle start swimming on the surface you can take them out; they can be drained in a sieve under cold water. Heat up the spätzle shortly in a hot pan with butter. Keep them warm and serve soon so they won’t get dry.

They are always good with a lot of gravy, like with a nice gulasch or something similar. Or they can be served just with fried onions (low heat, but for a long time till they get a nice golden colour). Or, you can add some grated cheese on top of it and put it in the oven for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Netleigh

djk,
    Thanks to you and your DH for the recipe, I will try it at the weekend and see how they turn out. I love Austrian food and frequently make goulash, we had a veal one on monday evening with crusty bread to soak up any excess sauce.
    I may have used too small a pan of boiling water before as everything just went clumped and messy, alternatively it may have been the flour, I used ordinary UK baking flour but I can try bread flour or flour intended for pasta which might make a difference.

lottielot

Netleigh: it looks like a wetter version of pasta dough so try pasta flour. Sounds yummy though!

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/

lottielot

That looks nice, ntch!
    I made a yummy dinner last night: tortilla with roasted peppers; mozzarella, avocado and tomato salad; grilled fennel and smoked mackerel. I made a sort of dressing for the last two with horseradish sauce, yogurt and a squeeze of lemon. Delicious and nutritious, then dh came home with a fish and chip takeaway…

Bobotie (South African Curry Meat Loaf) – I’ve heard about this and have yet to try it. It sounds like something I’d like.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/south-african-curry-meatloaf

lottielot: Your dinner sounds yummy! I see your dh is off the food budget. Was that only for January? I like a little fish and chips with my malt vinegar. I also add some ketchup to the mix and sometimes some lemon. What kind of fish did he choose?

pkilmain

Based on drooling on this thread and at bandicoot’s meal elsewhere, I made a lovely stir-fry last night with things I don’t usually bother with (in addition to the normal onions, mushrooms, red pepper) – bok choy, bean sprouts, and something called Rainbow Slaw. It’s raw broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage and carrots all in little strips. It’s lovely for just putting a dressing on and eating, or throwing handfuls into a stir fry, soup or stew. Put my stir-fry over brown rice, added a spinach salad, and had all my veg servings for the day! LOL

irishbell

Pkilmain- I use that rainbow slaw lots too.
    It seems to stay good for quite awhile.

s

@pkilmain, rainbow slaw (or just broccoli slaw) is great. I like a salad with just some spinach, broccoli slaw, chopped scallions, and a good Italian dressing. Yum!

bandicoot

rainbow slaw fans here too!
    i like raw broccoli and cauli chopped small into a salad….it adds a little tender crunch.

i bought kale chips today and was so excited by them that i rang the nursery and ordered kale seedlings.
    then i had popcorn with sumac and nutri yeast, and celery with nut butter and golden sultanas, and some freeze dried fruit, and a lot of lemon water and now i am too stuffed to even think about dinner.

lottielot

Ntch: he just bought a bog-standard cod and chips from the takeaway round the corner. Fish and chips done well are sublime, not particularly good fish and chips eaten by the seaside are good, normal fish and chips from the local chippy are vile and unhealthy :)
    Dh and kids are out tonight: time for a big veggie dinner then :) I bought about 3 different types of fish from the supermarket the other day as they were going cheap, popped them in the freezer ready for fish pie. I’m hoping dh will make it tomorrow as he makes a delicious fish pie :) Smoked haddock, salmon and cod, fluffy mash, mmm.

pkilmain

Oh, lottie, that sounds really good. Is it kind of like sheoherd’s pie, with fish and sauce under, mashed on top? What dies he add to the fish? I have lots of salmon, and am always looking for new ways to fix it.

lottielot

Pkilmain: I can’t remember whose recipe he uses…But there are a million different ways to cook fish pie. He poaches the fish in milk first, fries up onion and celery, makes a sauce with the fishy milk, adds white wine, reduces, adds cream, puts the fish in the sauce and pops mash on top. You can add veg like spinach or anything really, but he doesn’t. Delicious, best with a mixture of smoked and unsmoked fish. As you can imagine, my kitchen afterwards is NOT a pretty sight :(
    My dinner tonight: actually cooked some chard! I usually let it rot because dh hates it…Cooked the stalks in some boiling water, added it to fried leek, fennel, garlic and tomato, a dash of cream. Eaten with wholemeal pasta (I’m the only person who will eat this…) and a little salad of Puy lentils, sliced fennel, those spicy peppers from a jar and a dressing which was more mustard than anything else. I love mustard!

pkilmain

Thanks, Lottie. That’s what I would imagine a fish pie would be like. Never thought of mixing the smoked and unsmoked. Funny, we eat chard a lot. Love it cooked in a ehite sauce with lots of onion. Also good in a salad, a la spinach. I leave the rivs out for this. I also freeze it and add to veggir soups all winter.

bandicoot

chard is one thing i will not eat.
    it makes my teeth feel very strange….chalky and squeaky and sensitive.
    rhubarb does the same to me.
    baby spinach on the other hand, is devoured at every turn.

Lottie — oh yum. I like fresh chard. Pkilmain — oh, salmon! I love salmon!

Went to the farmer’s market today — only Esparza Farms there today. He’s based in Devine — only 35 miles south of here — but had beautiful tomatoes which must have been hothouse grown. Didn’t get any (have some too many tomatoes from the supermarket on hand) but the woman in front of me got about 25 lbs. Think she was from a restaurant. Didn’t get any chard, either, and now I’m kicking myself. Next week! Did get a huge bunch of curly kale, some lovely golden beets (hate to use them — the color is exquisite — should just stick them in a vase) a head of romaine and a bunch of loose leaf lettuce. Was hoping for a watermelon — there were some from the valley in the store — hope they are in soon!

lottielot

Bandicoot: I get the weird teeth thing with chard too, that’s why I boiled it before frying it with the other stuff. Seems to help.
    Susan: sounds like a great haul!

ninakk

is it just pH or something else too? mix rhubarb with milk and you have a nasty soup :)

lottielot

I think it’s the oxalic acid, I know it’s present in rhubarb and I’m assuming in chard and spinach too (I get the same thing with spinach)

ninakk

lingonberries are really sour too but they never give the same shudder, come to think of it.

bandicoot

yes, i don’t mind sour things at all, but there is something specific about chard and rhubarb.
    it might be partly me too….i’ve got a mouth that tends to be alkaline ( i don’t get tartar at all, ever).

Forgot to mention I went to the Middle Eastern grocery too — got some sumac to try with popcorn (thanks for the idea, Bandicoot!) Also got pita still steaming from the oven, some hummus and labne. Added some tomato, onion and cukes plus some feta I already had for a lovely lunch.

pkilmain

Bandicoot – I get some of that feeling with some greens as well, but not so much I don’t eat them.. And I don’t get much tarter either. Strange, eh? Rhubarb I only eat cooked and doesn’t bother me at all

Mimi

interesting, i have similar issues with chard (and not so young spinach) but i plant a lot of it, just because i like the plants :)) maybe it is the magnesia (magnesium?) this makes it healthy but also chalky and kind of sticky to the teeth. tomatoesauce solves the problem!

http://oxalicacidinfo.com/

Spinach sometimes feels chalky to me. Chard is divine – usually add a pinch of baking soda to it when I boil it – wonder if that makes any difference? Never had a chalky thingy with chard.

ninakk

I haven’t cooked for a while and felt the need to fiddle in the kitchen this morning when making a meal plan. We haven’t eaten well due to not eating much and/or not feeling like cooking, but today I decided it has to stop. Plus Saturday means organising the pantry etc. as well as a fridge clean-out. Phew, I feel better again!

So, what’s on the menu right now? An early dinner is in the oven since I skipped lunch – Mac and Cheese, tadaa! I’ve never made it at home and have never eaten homemade by other, only the truly revolting Kraft ready stuff sent by hubby’s mom at some point. Through all the fluorescent orange I could still see its potential so today I decided to declutter some macaroni. And I need the comfort food for some reason.

The recipe followed to a T is by Farmer Beth (well, her aunt) written in the comments on this blog article:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/10/cheddar-and-elbows-exalted/
    The mixture has to be stirred after 15-20 min, which I just did, and goodness the drooling…

ninakk

Thanks, ntch, for that link!

T-Bone Steak

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2012/02/grilled-t-bones-steaks.html

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Bacon – this is one I really HAVE TO try!

http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/02/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-apples.html

Mango torta ala Bulgaria

http://yoli-www.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post_1891.html

bandicoot

i bought a few too many mushrooms at the market!
    i had a cooked breakfast: tempeh slices, a lot of sautéed mushrooms with herbs, a grilled tomato, a slice of avocado.

lottielot

*winces* a cooked breakfast is just not the same thing without a fried egg and super crispy bacon! And I speak as a vegetarian for 20 years :)
    Tonight’s dinner: roasted a chicken to make a salad with rocket, spicy peppers and normal pepper, potato salad and tomato bruschetta. Hurry home, dh, I’m hungry!

Portebello mushrooms normally do not appeal to moi, however, this picture is gorgeous! Roasted Portobello Mushroom with Poached Egg in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce!

http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/roasted-portobello-mushrooms-with.html

Green Power Smoothie on-the-go

http://withstyle.me/2012/02/20/market-monday-greens-on-the-go/

Ham and Turnip Gratin. I have a turnip and I have bacon and evap milk.

http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/ham-and-turnip-gratin.html

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/03/a-window-of-hope/

1 HOUR PANTRY PURGE CHALLENGE – see “pantry purge event” section in:

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2010/5/18/chicken-long-rice.html

Power blender review at -

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2011/8/3/and-along-came-the-omniblend.html

and the interesting smoothies you can make with them -

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2010/6/7/pirate-smoothie.html

Swiss Chard & Eggs Nested in Sautéed Chard and Mushrooms

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggs_nested_in_sauteed_chard_and_mushrooms/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+elise%2Fsimplyrecipes+%28Simply+Recipes%29

Cover Girl Beet Salad

http://sweetandcrumby.com/2010/07/20/cover-girl-beet-salad/

A list of reader choice blogs for special diets

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2012/3/6/readers-choice-special-diet-blogs.html

She says they are the best oatmeal and fruit bar she has ever had:

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/

Fruity Breakfast Granola – she says this is perfected for her taste over the years.

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/03/fruity-breakfast-granola.html

Fresh Fruit Tart (she says it is perfect)

http://whippedtheblog.com/2012/03/08/fresh-fruit-tart/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+whippedtheblog%2FCFOU+%28Whipped%29

Coconut Custard Cake (this looks scrummy and something I need to try baking)

http://easilygoodeats.blogspot.com/2012/03/coconut-custard-cake-recipe.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EasilyGoodEats+%28Easily+Good+Eats%29

Ikey Solomon ate lamb stew every single day.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/03/irish-lamb-stew.html

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!!!

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/

There’s a video on the link page talking about green smoothie basics. It’s an interesting blog :)

Salad of Radish, Carrot and/or Beet tops with Vermouth Vinaigrette

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/radish-salad-beet-salad-carrot-top-salad/

Tea Fruit Tart

http://yoli-www.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post_21.html

Spinach cookies with adzuki bean shoots

http://easilygoodeats.blogspot.com/2011/02/baked-spinach-savouries.html

Hard boiled Easter eggs, what to do, what to do?

Bacon and Egg Garden Salad

http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/02/bacon-and-egg-garden-salad.html

Raw Cultured Cashew “Cheese”

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2012/4/10/raw-cultured-cashew-cheese.html

Green Smoothie Popsicle

http://www.smoothieweb.com/category/green-smoothies/

lottielot

Eating orange curd yesterday it struck me that I have lots of rhubarb and rhubarb curd would probably be delicious :) I’m going to try it today.
    Last night was a very good chicken risotto topped with crispy bacon bits, mmmm!

Savory Rhubarb and Chipotle Goat Cheese Pizza

http://marcussamuelsson.com/recipes/savory-rhubarb-and-chipotle-goat-cheese-pizza-recipe

lottielot: this sounds like something up your alley :P How did your rhubarb curd turn out?

Cilantro Lime Grilled Halibut

http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/05/green-olive-salsa-verde-with-cilantro.html

lottielot

I made this rhubarb curd:
    http://www.bite-magazine.com/product/466/0/rhubarb-curd
    It’s more like a custard than a proper curd, but it’s pretty good. Not too sweet, you can taste the rhubarb, easy to make (just a lot of stirring!). Very good on a toasted crumpet or muffin, I had to try both just to check, you understand :) I’m not sure how long it lasts so I think I’ll cut up the rest of the rhubarb and bung it in the freezer for next time, I’m also planning rhubarb jam as although I only have 2 plants they are both going crazy!

Happy Mother’s Day

Fig Tart with Philly Frangipane and Strawberry Ginger Cream :P

http://athomewithrebecka.blogspot.com/2011/08/fig-tart-with-philly-frangipane-and.html

Frozen Kale Cubes for Smoothies

http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2012/5/14/frozen-kale-cubes-for-smoothies.html

52 ways to eat kale at:

http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2012/02/27/52-ways-to-eat-kale/

and these kale wraps look yummy:

from: http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2012/1/2/kale-salad-wraps.html

lucy1965

This isn’t really a recipe, but it counts as kitchen decluttering! A bottle of popcorn salt that had been languishing in an upper cabinet for years just went into a batch of neti pot solution mix: I weighed it out, mixed in baking soda as a buffer in a 3-to-1 ratio, and put it into a small plastic container. It’s very finely milled non-iodized salt, so it will dissolve quickly in water.

Ella

Careful with that, Lucy. Salt often has chemical additives to prevent it from clumping. I wouldn’t want to expose vulnerable nasal/sinus tissues to that. Go for kosher salt if possible, without any additives. Check the ingredients label.

Ella

Artichokes Italian style…

http://www.italiannotebook.com/food-wine/carciofi-artichokes/

bandicoot

ooo yes.
    i’d be loath to rinse my sinuses with anything but natural sea salt.
    who knows what additives might be lurking in popcorn salt? not that it is a product i have any familiarity with.

Ella

You’d be surprised, even some brands of sea salt have additives to prevent clumping. The ingredients label should read “Salt” period.

Green Onion Cakes are made with refined wheat flour and green onions, both of which are favorites of mine. I think the first time I tried these were in NYC Chinatown. I like that area of NYC! Chestnut buns at Taipan Bakery anyone? No wonder my beta cells need some help! Wheat flour is not so good for Paleo, low or no carb, sugar-free, anti-candida, or gluten-free diets.

If I didn’t already have one I’d have to buy one! I’ll have to try out some of the soup recipes; and ice cream too – I didn’t know that!

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/05/vitamix-harvest-cheddar-soup-and.html

Grilled Artichokes (I just learned they are high carb for purposes of the carb addicts diet – no wonder I like them so much)

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/grilled_artichokes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+elise%2Fsimplyrecipes+%28Simply+Recipes%29

Lottielot used to look for things to do with left over roast chicken. Here are some yummy looking ideas for what to do with that next left over rotisserie chicken from Costco:

http://www.myrecipes.com/ingredients/chicken-recipes/best-chicken-salad-10000001890721/?xid=jt_footer

And I love love love fruitcake so this looks so yummy for my tummy to moi!

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Jalapeño Popper Waffles

Arghhhh – looks like I’m going to HAVE to go to a special coffee shop to have their special yummy waffles today – either that or bust out the new waffle maker and make these … :P

@liag – this is a wonderful gluten free site. She’s a chef. Someone on this site mentioned it on another thread and I found it to be terrific! She has a book or more out as well.

HOMEMADE CHERRY PITTER

http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/06/homemade-cherry-pitter.html

She says it’s better than the commercial one or using a paring knife.

Easy Thai Salad and Happy Father’s Day!

http://www.smokywok.com/2012/06/easy-thai-salad-and-happy-fathers-day.html

I would love this; not so much my dad even if we love much of the same other foods. Most times when we eat out I find we order the same dish. I wonder if it’s a genetic make up thing.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!

For You Daddy: Dark Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake

http://www.passionateaboutbaking.com/2012/06/baking-dark-chocolate-cherry-mousse-cake-for-when-he-turned-13-lovestonefruit.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FNYhO+%28Passionate+About+Baking%29

This blogger, Deeba, who lives in Gurgaon, a city in the suburbs of New Delhi, India, actually made this!!!

chacha1

I had three elderly zucchini in the veg drawer and was determined not to waste them.

Cooked a pound of hot Italian sausage in my giant risotto pan. Added the sliced zucchini, a sliced sweet onion, a sliced fennel bulb and cooked (lightly covered, tossing occasionally) till soft, about 35 minutes. Poured over a jar of red sauce (Classico caramelized onion & garlic) and tossed.

Pretty good if I do say so!

http://rasamalaysia.com/japanese-bento-and-takeout/

Mmmmmmm looks so good :P

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/07/israeli-salad-recipe/

OMG!

The Red, White, and Blue: Coconut and Blueberry Coconut Pudding Trifles with Fresh Cherries and Buckwheat Topping

http://www.choosingraw.com/

Arghhh. There I’ve done it. I’ve made myself hungry by looking at this picture and reading the recipe directions! Grrrrrr.

Reminds me of Twix.

Millionaires’ Shortbread

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/07/millionaires-shortbread.html

Love Yorkshire Pudding. In this recipe he uses it as a base for a savory dish, but he says you can also use it as a base for a sweet. Very innovative.

http://marksvegplot.blogspot.com/

Happy National Fried Chicken Day.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/06/best-fried-chicken-in-america/?intcmp=features

With a listing of where to get the best fried chicken in America. I know where to get the best in my town.

I can do this sans the sugar and some modifications on the next phase of my food plan:

http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-basil-beef-salad/2/

http://lacasserolecarree.blogspot.com/2012/05/aloo-keema.html

I’d like to make a version of this sans starches plus other vegs over mixed greens or cauliflower rice or cabbage “noodles”

bandicoot

that aloo keema photo is so very beutifully styled.

bandicoot

we have been cold here and not feeling very raw.
    having said that, i stood in the kitchen yesterday, eating a lot of homemade white kimchi straight from the jar.

today i am cooking quinoa, and lightly steaming mixed veggies and tofu.
    to serve, i will quickly pan fry the vegies in spiced garlicky olive oil, and throw on top of quinoa with fresh herbs chopped through it.
    simple, fast, delicious.

Purchased some prepared kim chee and it was very mild, nothing like what you find in Korean restaurants, so I just now I finished doctoring it up with garlic, ginger, chives, green onion, sugar, salsa, Chinese garlic chile paste I happened to purchase for the first time, and Japone peppers I’d gotten a while back to try my hand at making authentic Mexican chile (only to learn that it was the “wrong” kind of pepper to use for chile). It’s now a multi-national dish I have brewing in the refridge. I may try my hand at making kim chee soup with it later when it gets old. The recipes I’ve looked at say they use “old” kim chee for it. Maybe a kim chee tofu veg soup … ;) Actually I’ve never tried kim chee soup or kim chee fried rice. I’ve gotten a hankering for spicy and garlic recently and Korean food fits the bill. Actually it started when I read a book written by a woman with a Korean mother who kept describing the Korean food in the story and made it sound sooooo delicious!

I especially love the description of “when the plum tree drips with plums” :)

http://veggiegobbler.blogspot.com/
    http://veggiegobbler.blogspot.com/

Thinking of getting this contraption and using goat milk which is allowed [and absolutely delicious] on the anticandida food plan ;)

http://neverseconds.blogspot.com/2012/07/breakfast-tokyo-japan.html

Now that looks like a delicious breakfast! Putting it on my bucket list: visit Nihon and have a breakfast like this! During what season shall I visit? I hear summer is hot and humid in Tokyo so maybe spring or autumn … Okay, put on the back burner to do list :D

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.