Home Forums Your Wardrobe 1 Week of Clothing

This topic contains 63 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of SunshineR SunshineR 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    hamichael

I had an idea today. I can not get my laundry under control. I have too many clothes. I never hang them up. I even bought beautiful hangers to entice me. I had an idea… What if I picked out a weeks worth of clothing for me to wear. Once I establish a habit of washing the laundry, hanging it or putting it in drawers where it belongs, then I can introduce a few additional items into the cycle. Do you think this would work?

nellieb

1 Week of Clothing

Wow! A great way to think outside the box!

I’d suggest two weeks of business clothing, a few outfits for casual activities, two changes for working out, and at least one “dressy” or formal outfit.

I’m a professional organizer and you’ll get a kick out of this true story. I had a client who had laundry scattered throughout her entire house. She paid me for 8 hours of organizing time to do nothing but laundry! At the end of the day, I suggested that a laundry service would be more affordable and would remove this task from her list.

Most of my clients have far too many clothes. So I applaud your initiative in realizing you need to par down your wardrobe! Good luck! And keep us posted on how you do!

1 Week of Clothing

Purging until you have a reasonable amt does work (I speak as a person that used to go a month without worrying but had a closet floor of dirty clothes).

bandicoot

1 Week of Clothing

i love this idea!
    i have a few too many clothes too.
    not wild heaps, but about 2 weeks worth.
    periodically, i take a 6 week trip around asia and i just adore the challenge of getting the clothes down to a minimal number of outfits.
    i know what i am wearing each day, because i’ve got one about to be washed, one coming back from the laundry or drying and one ready to wear.
    i fantasize about doing this at home too.

MsDasha

1 Week of Clothing

I think that is a spectacular idea! If you try it, let us know how it turns out :)

Claycat

1 Week of Clothing

A friend just gave me three swimsuits that she can’t wear, because she had a mastectomy. :(

I already had one, so now I have four. She lives in Florida, near the beach. She goes to the Y about three times a week in warm weather. I live in outer podunk central Texas. I have no pool. There is no public pool. There is nowhere for me to swim, except on our rare visits to Hamilton Pool near Austin.

I don’t really need any advice about this. I know I need to get rid of a couple. I just thought it was funny that such a landlocked person was given so many swimsuits. Unless, maybe this is an indication that our fortunes are about to change… Hmmmmm…

:)

Lehcarjt

1 Week of Clothing

I love the idea, but what do you do with the clothes you aren’t going to wear if you don’t have anywhere to store them?

charmed2482

1 Week of Clothing

get rid of them

rachel

1 Week of Clothing

I love your idea. I do this for the most part. I wear a white cami/tank tops under my shirts most days, but I only have 4 of them. So when I have worn all of them I have to do laundry, and of course, I then do all the whites in the house. I do have a family and we all have about 1 weeks worth of clothes. When I went to this system the laundry got so much easier. The hard part is only buying little girls 7 tops/bottoms. The good part is socks and underwear do not sit in the laundry basket too long. gross.
    I agree with charmed2482 get rid of them!!!!! So many others can use our extra clothes why hoard them for ourselves.

1 Week of Clothing

I’m in the process of “using up” the clothes I have. I have not allowed myself to buy any new clothes, shoes, bags, coats, etc. for the past 6 months or so. While I may not love what I have been wearing, I am trying to make it through the winter with these clothes and come April, any that are worn are getting tossed, guilt-free. Then I won’t feel bad about buying new ones – I will actually need new clothes at this point! And from that point on, I will only buy higher quality items in lesser quantities to keep my wardrobe at a managable amount.

bandicoot

1 Week of Clothing

just not buying anything for a while is such a simple powerful idea.

i get all my clothes made in bali, because i travel up there once or twice a year.
    there is beautiful fabric and i have an excellent tailor.
    i live in loose unlined linen/silk pants and shirts all year round (tropical climate) and they really do last well.
    i got over the *OMG CHEEEEP LET’S BUY LOTS* syndrome some years ago and now i just top up my wardrobe with a handful of things each trip.

i buy yoga gear online and wear it to work in…until it is falling off me!

rachel

1 Week of Clothing

bandicoot tell me how you got out of the “OMG CHEEEEP LET’S BUY LOTS” SYNDROME. I do well most of the time, but every so often I buy. Today I returns 7 tees in different colors that were for my daughter. What was I thinking. That is boring, even if they were 5 bucks each.

Zora

1 Week of Clothing

I’m fat AND longwaisted, so I can’t buy clothes off the rack; I have to sew for myself. This dramatically limits the amount of clothing I possess. I have four pairs of shorts, four pairs of long pants, eight T-shirts, three nice shirts, and five nightshirts. Plain underwear for eight days.

Because I’m poor, I have only one pair of shoes.

I do have a bit of clothing clutter — clothing that’s a little too small for me. But it’s handmade, well made, and I don’t want to let it go. But it’s not much … perhaps ten pieces. Who knows, I *might* succeed in losing weight :)

bandicoot

1 Week of Clothing

rachel…i’d drag all this stuff home, trip after trip and then end up giving it away because i wasn’t using it.
    bali is stuffed full of wonderful textiles and wooden carvings and leather goods and and and….and it was easy to go overboard.
    i dunno…i just had to get a grip and work out what i really wanted.
    i’ve been interested in voluntary simplicity for about ten years, so i guess that helped me along.

zora, i’m short and wide and buy very little off the rack also.
    my previous clothes hoarding was all about finding a style i could live with and then getting it made in eleventy million versions so i would never ever ever run out.
    i’m also very fussy about fabrics and can’t abide synthetics….which can limit your options also.
    i’ve managed to get over that fear of running out by finding a tailor who keeps my patterns on file, has an email address and will post to me. we’ve known one another a long time and there is much mutual trust and regard.
    if i hadn’t found her, i’d be learning how to sew.

1 Week of Clothing

I really wish I could get over the “it’s so cheap let’s buy it” syndrome! Just when I think I’m building up a wardrobe of nice clothes (the ones in the store Cache fit beautifully, but are very expensive so I only buy a few here and there) I end up buying a $3 shirt off the clearance rack that looks like rubbish after one wash. I need to stop myself from doing that!

badkitti

1 Week of Clothing

I was inspired by a friend who never buys any clothing that she doesn’t love 100% and doesn’t suit her. I wanted to look as ghood as she did. So now, I try things on, and if i don’t love it, I don’t buy it. I also then have money to get stuff I do like :D even if I find a lovely top in the charity shops.

1 Week of Clothing

badkitti – that’s a big problem of mine – I don’t always try shirts on! I’m going to do what your friend did and only buy clothes I absolutely LOVE. It will take some discipline, but after my clothes-buying fast, I think I will only want to replace these old clothes with things I love!

bandicoot

1 Week of Clothing

yep, i’ve spent too many years buying clothes that are “just ok”, or “almost right”, or “not too bad”.
    i’m done with that.

Stacia

1 Week of Clothing

A year or so ago, I checked out various books from the library — all books about creating a wardrobe for yourself, paring down the clothes you have, etc…. I found a few inspirational (to me) tips.

One thing I liked: Many times when cleaning out closets, people just toss w/out thinking about what they will end up w/ at the end. One book suggested the first thing to do is to pull out some complete outfits from your closet — something like 3 entire sets of what you would wear for your normal day, using items you have, that fit, and that you love (or at least like, at this point). Pull out 1 dressy outfit that you could wear to a party or wedding; 1 set that you could wear for a somber event (such as a funeral); and so on. Basically, go through your clothes, pull out complete outfits for the variety of life & events for which you need to dress. Once those are out of the way (your core wardrobe), everything that’s left in your closet is ‘optional’. You can then take a very hard look at what remains in your closet & ruthlessly declutter those items. At the end of your closet redo, you know you will have sets of clothes to fit your lifestyle & much more space because you got rid of stuff you don’t have to have. Once it’s all pared down, you can then think about upgrading/replacing items as needed.

Another book mentioned that you should decide your ‘style’ too (or what style you want to have) — classic, bohemian, modern chic, etc…. Make sure that the items you keep adhere to your ‘style’ & that will help ensure that your items mix & match well, as well as giving you a more pulled-together look (because you will be true to your style).

A different book had a guide for the basics/wardrobe essentials (for a woman). I jotted down a list so that I could carry it in my purse to help me keep in mind what pieces I’m looking for if I’m shopping:
    one dress
    one 3-pc. suit (jacket, pants, skirt)
    basic knit tops
    white, collared shirt
    shoes: pump, bootie, strappy heel, flat
    modern jeans
    jacket that can be dressed up or down
    basic bag or tote
    Not sure that I totally agree w/ this as ‘the’ list for a wardrobe, but I thought it was a nice list of the basics….

1 Week of Clothing

Stacia, thank you for sharing that information! Those are great tips, especially for someone like me who gets so wrapped up in decluttering that I (occasionally) end up getting rid of things before I have found replacements!

nellieb

1 Week of Clothing

Stacia, thanks for some great suggestions!

I tend to buy a lot of clothes at Ross or Steinmart because the price is right. I may find something I absolutely love and will keep it until it begins to fall apart. And if I only wear it a few times, I feel I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it.

My wardrobe consultant told me to experiment with different styles because I tend to buy the same types over and over again. I bought five new tops the other day and spent an average of $11 for each. I then came home and promptly eliminated five items from my wardrobe.

That’s one guideline I’ve had for many years. When I bring in new items for my wardrobe, the same or greater number must immediately leave. Since I continue to unclutter my wardrobe, I am happy that I do not have too many clothes or shoes. (You can follow my progress of achieving my New Year’s uncluttering resolution at http://drawerbydrawer.wordpress.com/.)

Hamichael, did you decide to implement your idea?

Jenr

1 Week of Clothing

I have a saying for myself when purchasing clothes and it works for me…..when in doubt, do without…has saved me a FORTUNE…;)
    Zora, I wanted to comment on your post…and this is just a suggestion..you may or may not lose the weight you mentioned….either way, if you are attached to the clothing, you may want to go ahead and box it up until you decide…that gets it out of your closet and drawers and gives you “mental space” to see how you are living with the existing clothing. I try and do this with all my things and usually after a couple months I can just donate them. Everybody is different and in a different frame of mind, but getting rid of stuff is still really serious stuff!

jesscyn

1 Week of Clothing

I’m slowly trying to subscribe to having only clothes that I LOVE and only clothes that FIT. My weight fluctuates up and down a lot, so what I do is that I pull out the pants that no longer fit, put them into a bag in a storage closet. I’m slowly doing the one in, one out thing as well. I sometimes also take a shirt that I kinda sorta like and put it into the hidden bag, I find that when you don’t see for a while, you tend to like it better when you “find” it again.

Nuria_P

1 Week of Clothing

That’s exactly what I have done! I have chosen 1 week clothing for each member of the family, and got rid of the rest of the clothes! My laundry room was my whole house really, and it was awful… I hope with this system my laundry will be under control and I won’t have clothes everywhere! It has taken me all day to finish it, but I did it!

candy

1 Week of Clothing

That is impressive, Nuria_P! Welcome to the forum, you seem to have made a flying start :)

RebeccaL

1 Week of Clothing

I started a clothing inventory this spring- what I needed, what I donated, and what I bought. When you track every new clothing purchase, it really makes you think twice. Luckily, the donations signigicantly outweigh the purchases!

Nuria_P

1 Week of Clothing

Thanks for your welcome, Candy! really it has been a big achievement for me, I am very proud of myself lol. And surely I will be making lots of people happy later this week when I take the massive bag to the church.
    RebeccaL, in my case I dont get many clothes for me or my husband, but for the kids… OMG! We also get lots of clothes from friends and there is a point where I really dont know where to keep them and they end up anywhere. That’s why I thought that keeping 1 outfit for everyday would be the solution for one of the main problems in my house.

1 Week of Clothing

That is a big achievement! Congratulations!

I have been thinking about what to do in this area too. Unfortunately or fortunately I have the space in which to store unneeded and unused clothing but I feel I really do need to unclutter in this area as well.

Nuria_P

1 Week of Clothing

I dont have much space (well, after yesterday’s session I have more than what i thought lol), but for me the problem is that, having more clothes than needed, lots of things were “kept” in the laundry, so the problem really was that. Apart that, keeping things in a bad way, everytime someone needed a t-shirt, all the other t-shirtes fell down, and kept back in the wardrobe unfolded, then when you wanted to wear them they needed ironing, everyday to go to work was a mission to find a top that matched the skirt… and all that is stress, stress, stress! Now I just have to keep it. My wardrobe is organized, I have an outfit ready for everyday, kids too, and my laundry room is empty!

shebolt

1 Week of Clothing

I’m always amused that I can’t get paper under control, but my wardrobe is full of things that fit, and everything is arranged by type and color. My laundry is done every week.

I’m really good at purging clothing, probably because I’m still scarred from never having the “right” clothes when I was a teenager. Now that I’m in control of my wardrobe, I keep myself stylish and current and constantly get rid of things that I’m tired of wearing.

It helps that I’m thin and my weight doesn’t fluctuate much at all.

Now why can’t I translate this to paper items?

Nuria_P

1 Week of Clothing

Oh I can’t get paper under control either! I followed last year for a few months another book (I am not sure if I am allowed to mention it here), and I stablished a file system. The problem is to, at least weekly, dedicate half an hour to file there the papers and correspondence I have got during the week….but the system is good.

SunshineR

1 Week of Clothing

Clothes are fun. Organizing papers may not be.

shebolt

1 Week of Clothing

SunshineR, you may be on to something. If I put half the effort into my papers that I do into my wardrobe, I’d be golden.

And my “I’m thin” comment may have come off wrong. I meant that I’m happy with my figure, so buying clothing is pleasant. I know a woman who is smaller than me who tortures herself when she clothing shops because she wants to lose 5 more pounds, even though she’s a 2. So I suppose actual size doesn’t matter – it’s attitude. It’s fun to keep the wardrobe up-to-date when shopping doesn’t come with all sorts of feeling of guilt and body unhappiness.

lucy1965

1 Week of Clothing

Why are none of you who enjoy clothes shopping living near me?

1 Week of Clothing

I think I shall look through my storage closet and pull out things I might fancy wearing now (instead of or before I go out and purchase new clothing).

SunshineR

1 Week of Clothing

The downside of my success in decluttering my closet: I have very few pieces left that I truly like. I am heavier than I’d like to be right now and the pounds which I lost before the holidays have regifted themselves right back…onto me.

momto4

1 Week of Clothing

I absolutely love moneysavingmoms blog…a few months ago she posted a video where she showed what was in her closet. It consisted of just a few mix and match outfits, this really really inspired me to downsize. Here it is…its worth a watch.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/10/my-minimalist-wardrobe-vlog.html

lottielot

1 Week of Clothing

wow, that’s a very minimalistic wardrobe! momto4, have you read this blog: http://ourmothersdaughters.blogspot.com/2009/01/laundry-problems-start-with-clothes.html
    This woman has like 8 kids or something ridiculous, it makes my feeble 2 lots of kids clothes to sort through seem ridiculously easy. She has some good stuff to say on how to deal with clutter and lots of kids :) And she makes me laugh!

1 Week of Clothing

I am thinking about wardrobe and wanting to wear some new things so started pulling out lovely things I forgot about in a storage closet. I’m undecided on what I will be doing next; however, this is a step.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

djk

1 Week of Clothing

great links, momto4 and lottielot! very enjoyable

1 Week of Clothing

Started on 1/1 to go through the clothing storage closets and started the process of toss, donate/give away, and keep. We’ll see how this goes. But I did start and a journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step.

I tossed a set of pants and tank top & dress as well as pulled out a dress I’d like to wear again now.

1 Week of Clothing

2011.1.2&3 – tank top, Easter Sunday dress, brand new but old baby clothes.

I think once I start (which I have) it will get easier as I go along just like uncluttering other areas has gotten.

Commitment and just going through the motions on a regular basis works for moi.

BevAnn

1 Week of Clothing

Last night, after reading the Monday Chapter, I began in the closet.

I had my two DS go to their closets. We attacked all 3. NINE…9…NINE bags of LARGE trash bags later, we had purged out what we didn’t want, didn’t like or didn’t fit. We also cleaned out shoes and my purses. They tackled their drawers, I didn’t make it that far, I will be hitting that tonight. And, I can’t WAIT to do it! LOL

NINE huge bags of basically clutter. In 3 small closets. Amazing. And that’s only the beginning!

Tonight, I will clean out the drawers, under my bed, the bedside table drawers, and the top shelf in the closet.

djk

1 Week of Clothing

BevAnn, that is fantastic! what an achievement

1 Week of Clothing

Good work!

Clothing project: took 3 dresses out and washed them for current use.

wrennerd

1 Week of Clothing

I recently combined the “one in, one out” rule and the “shop to restock” concept and limited myself to no more than 5 of any one clothing item. (Why five? Because Wonder Hangers hold exactly 5 hangers.) I used Wonder Hangers — not to make space so I could cram more into my closet, as they’re marketed — but to sort items and keep similar clothes together: five pairs of dress pants, five long sleeve shirts, five short-sleeve shirts, etc. Since almost everything is solids that match, I can take the top shirt and the top pants and wear them in the order hung until the hanger is empty and it’s time to do laundry. I can also take a single photo of my entire wardrobe and glance at it when shopping to see what category is “low.” I’ve even used a Wonder Hanger to select & display five favorite necklaces that I want to remember to wear, rather than having them bunched in a drawer.

1 Week of Clothing

Went through a clothing storage closet and my bedroom closet and realized that there is a lot that I would like to let go and will end up donating. Now it’s a matter of figuring out how to box/package the things to get them up and out; and to decide where best to give the clothing. I’m thinking of a work training program or shelter. There’s always the regular charity; but these clothes would be great for a work program. I’ll have to think about it. Glad to have this thread to help me focus on clothes uncluttering:)

bandicoot

1 Week of Clothing

wrennerd, that is seriously organised and inspirational!

wrennerd

1 Week of Clothing

Thanks, Bandicoot — Lest I sound more minimal than I intended, the “etc.” encompasses the following additional categories that each get their own Wonder Hanger and are now limited to five each, in addition to the previously mentioned long & short sleeve shirts and dress pants. Long dresses, short dresses, summer dressy shirts, t-shirts, skirts, blazers, cardigans, sweatshirts, and sweaters. And a few random “formalwear” items…

But I did have friends over today and showed off my newly organized closet, and they said, “Wow, you have WAY less clothes than I do…” which I took as a compliment, even though I’m not sure if that’s what they meant it to be! :)

I have to say I find the “six items of clothing” experiments highly inspiring (although I will point out those experiments were done in summertime — in winter, they should get at least 10 items! After looking at their choices, I think I would go with:
    1 double-layer t-shirt (the ones Target sold were great until this year, when they messed them up by making the neckline bunched)
    1 turtleneck in winter (black or ivory) or sleeveless shirt in summer
    1 pair black dress pants
    1 pair jeans
    1 black dress
    1 cardigan
    1 blazer
    (oops, that’s 7)
    scarves & such

1 Week of Clothing

Looked at the clothes again – another step in the journey of decluttering my clothing storage closets – it just makes me feel so overwhelmed – the feeling overwhelmed that I seem to have to go through before decluttering.

I notice for myself it’s a journey and process. Take for example decluttering the clothes closet. First someone else clears their closet and tells me about it. This gets me thinking “closet, clothes, clear” and then next thing you know I’m looking at the clothes in the closet. Cull a few out to toss and some to wash and wear again. Then comes looking some more in the closet and thinking about who to donate them to. I am sure subconsciously I am thinking about this project and one day something will just “happen” and things will get done. In the mean time the ruminating about what to do step of the process gets muddled through. :( Do I really have to do this step? Can’t I just skip it?

I think hamichael was on to something in the first post re how to regain control over your clothing/laundry. How are you doing on your project hamichael?

wintersmom

1 Week of Clothing

I seriously downsized my wardrobe last year. All of my clothes, for all seasons, fit into one drawer and 1/4 of a small closet. The only con I’ve discovered is that certain clothing (J. Crew Perfect Fit tees, I’m looking at you) just don’t have the quality needed to survive the great frequency of wearing and laundering. Other than that, minimalist wardrobes rock. =)

1 Week of Clothing

boxed up stuff from the main clothing storage closet to be given away. Sniff :( Hmmmmm, maybe not ready. Maybe have to hold on a little longer . . .

1 Week of Clothing

Dropped off a bag of tops, linen pants and sweater to charity box.

1 Week of Clothing

Found a charity that will come pick up the clothes.

1 Week of Clothing

Called that program that trains women to go to work and found out how to donate work clothes to them. It’s pretty simple and they provide a receipt. Now I just need to find out whether the program works well and that my donation will go to a good cause. [which i just did - the program is active and clothes new participants every month]

1 Week of Clothing

May be back to square one because they prefer large sizes and my old stuff is from the smaller but thought I was really fat period of yore.

I want to make certain that these particular professional clothes (that cost a pretty penny and are very nice) go to the right person(s) so I’ll have to think about this some more.

morfydd

1 Week of Clothing

@needtocleanhouse: I totally understand the urge for your things to “go to the right person(s)” – I do that too with some very special pieces. However, if these things are in your way, it may be more important to just let it go.

It’s a gift. Trying to control how much the recipient appreciates the gift is hard on everyone.

djk

1 Week of Clothing

I know what you mean, NTCH. I also have gotten rid of items which caused me angst because I wasn’t quite emotionally ready to get rid of them, but circumstances determined the timing. My feelings were definitely on the “but I hope the recipient appreciates them as much as I do” side. When one hunts for the perfect thing for a long time before purchasing, and cares very much about what surrounds her, (in my case it was furniture and housewares and decor) it is difficult to just let it all go.

OTOH, Morfydd–wise, wise words. I would do well to remember them.

1 Week of Clothing

They are not in the way and tucked away in storage closets with lots of room. So, no need. I can and should pick and choose who gets the Chanel etc etc.

candy

1 Week of Clothing

@needtocleanhouse: If you’ve got designer stuff such as Chanel you should most definitely be able to sell it on eBay or through a good second hand store.

morfydd

1 Week of Clothing

@needtocleanhouse: Oh, well, if it’s Chanel, send it to me! :) I promise to send letters telling you how much I’m appreciating it. Admittedly, I’m not “needy”, but I’m not in the high-end designer clothes level… :)

More seriously, if you’re stuck finding a place, maybe you might post what city you’re in – someone may know the perfect charity there.

Sesberry

1 Week of Clothing

I think the idea of the wonder hanger and only 5 of each is such a fab idea. I’ve been thinking about what I’ve got and there’s quite a few categories where I have more than 5 (if short sleeved blouses and long sleeved ones are the same category then I have 10 – albeit 3 of which I don’t wear as I bought them a year and half ago before I went on the pill and therefore up a cup size!)

Thinking about things this way is really helping to think about what I can pare down and although, for instance, I’m not going to get rid of 1 of my day dresses to bring it down to 5 I doubt I will replace the next one to wear out.

It has made me realise I need to get down my ‘summer’ box from the loft and sort through it now, with a calm, wintery head! I find if I try and purge things in summer I get caught up in the whole romantic idea of summer being a big long holiday when actually I’m in the office just as much!!

wrennerd

1 Week of Clothing

@wintersmom — Wow! Only one drawer plus a little closet space for all seasons? Out of curiosity, how many items is that overall? I’m wondering how cold your winters get. And inspired…

@sesberry — Yeah, I sorted the summer stuff onto Wonder Hangers as well. You’re right: it’s easier to sort it during the “wrong” season, and somehow, it was relatively easy to remember whether I wore certain items at all last summer, making the decision to purge a little easier.

Sometimes all this purging makes me want to sell the house and get a motor home. Sometimes.

SunshineR

1 Week of Clothing

Funny, I have thought of buying a motor home, too… I’d also have a tiny cottage to come home to, with my piano, music books, books, etc but just what I treasure and need. *grins, sighs, off to unclutter more crap*

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.