The following are the most common questions I have received about Unclutter Your Life in One Week since I signed the contract to write it almost a year ago. If I don’t answer your questions in this post, feel welcome to leave them in the comments. I’ll try to check in over the course of today and tomorrow and respond to the questions that have been asked there.
- Is the book a reprinting of posts from the website?
No. Obviously, it is the same message and tone as the website, but the vast majority of content is new for the new medium. “The Weekend” chapter of the book does include a portion of the text from the post “Saying farewell to a hobby,” and that is because a.) it’s my favorite post of all time, and b.) it fit in perfectly with the chapter.
- Will there be an electronic version of the book?
Yes, and it should be available for pre-order this week. I’m also under the impression that it is going to be available in the three most prominent electronic formatting types. I have no idea what the price will be through the different retailers. Prices are set by the publisher and retailers — unfortunately, authors have no say in how the prices are set.
- Will there be an audio version of the book?
Simon and Schuster doesn’t decide what books will be released as audio books until after the first wave of hardcover sales. I don’t know what formula they use to make this decision, so I won’t even try to predict the answer to this question.
- Can I see some of the text from the book before I buy it?
Yes. Currently, Amazon.com has a chunk of the chapter “Foundations” up on its website. Go to the book’s page, and click on the link “See all Editorial Reviews.” An excerpt of this chapter should appear after the advance reviews.
- Is the David Allen who wrote the Foreword to your book THE David Allen?
Yes. I am truly honored that he wrote the Foreword. His book Getting Things Done is a life-changing text.
- Can you print the Table of Contents?
Here is an abbreviated version –
- Erin’s Story
- Monday: Your Wardrobe, Your Office, Your Reception Station
- Tuesday: Your Bathroom, Fixing Your Files, Household Chores
- Fall Cleaning Guide
- Wednesday: Your Bedroom and Commute, Communication Processes, Kitchen and Dining Room
- Thursday: Living Spaces, Productivity, Your Home Office
- Spring Cleaning Guide
- Friday: Scheduling Strategies, Work Routines, Living with Clutterers
- The Weekend
- Celebrating and Maintaining Your Success
- Did you write this book?
- Is it available outside the U.S.?
Yes. It should be available November 3 in Canada, Australia, Britain, and most other English-speaking countries. Foreign rights are still being negotiated, but I know a publisher picked it up in France and others are in the works.
- Will you do a book tour?
This questions receives a big “sort of” as an answer. I didn’t want a book tour in the traditional sense because sitting in a bookstore talking about my book for 45 minutes is not really my style. Instead, I’m going to have casual meet-n-greets in bars. A small bookseller will have books available, people can talk to me one-on-one, and readers can also get to know each other. Once these dates are set, I’ll post them on the site. As of right now, these happy hours are being planned for New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Kansas City, and Los Angeles. More cities may be added.